Projected football depth after Spring

bigdaddyg
Posts: 4441
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1584 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:06 pm

So basically we don’t need the backup to be an integral part of the game plan- obviously. We don’t want to take a chance of our backup coming into the game with less than 10:00 to go and us up 31-10 (3 scores) because of fear that he might throw 2 PIC’s and let the opponent back into the game. We also want to show sportsmanship and not run up the score. We also don’t want our backup to get hurt because he might actually have to play for real in the future. All that being said we debate and agonize over who the actual backup is. Got it.

User avatar
AppStateNews
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 780 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:17 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:06 pm
So basically we don’t need the backup to be an integral part of the game plan- obviously. We don’t want to take a chance of our backup coming into the game with less than 10:00 to go and us up 31-10 (3 scores) because of fear that he might throw 2 PIC’s and let the opponent back into the game. We also want to show sportsmanship and not run up the score. We also don’t want our backup to get hurt because he might actually have to play for real in the future. All that being said we debate and agonize over who the actual backup is. Got it.
Or the coaches that are with these kids every day, watching them play, watching film with them, watching them in the weight room, getting reports from the training table, etc. know way more than we do so we shouldn't second guess everything.

Again, I'm not saying you specifically but more this fan base and specifically this board.

But there are reasons for everything and I will ALWAYS trust the above over criticizing everything.

AppSt94
Posts: 6945
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 4254 times
Been thanked: 2397 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:27 pm

^^^What he said.^^^

BambooRdApp
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 486 times
Been thanked: 924 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Just curious, how many P5 and G5 teams have put the backup QB in the game with meaningful minutes? (Not talking a situation where a team uses 2QBs regularly). I cannot recall many, if any over the past 4 to 5 years.
It just doesn't seem to be the norm in CFB.
Whether I agree with it or not, it is what it is. I do wonder if it has to do with putting younger guys in at the skill positions like RB and WR that I do see get more into rotations when a team gets up by 21/28/35 points.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 7538
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 3416 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:19 am

Game reps are good but you start putting QB2 in for more time and "meaningful" minutes (running the full offense) you run a greater risk of them getting injured and then your QB3 is now QB2. In most cases someone earns QB2 through practice and going against your primary D, except with a red jersey on for at least some of those practices. There is always a tight piece of risk/reward rope being walked.

EastHallApp
Posts: 6394
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2951 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:21 am

I would argue that generally the main intrigue about who's going to be QB2 is that whoever earns that spot would have the inside track to being the next starter when the current guy moves on. But even that hasn't been the case at App the past few years with Huesman, and it may not be again. Have to assume McBride will be the backup this year, but I think there'll be a real competition with him and the two younger guys next spring and fall.

Yosef84
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 1720 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:32 am

I just don't agree with some of the concerns that our young QBs aren't developing. It just seems to me that it is never a BAD thing to bring in experience and athleticism at any position....especially QB. McBride could possible even give us some "different" looks in limited duty. I don't think he was brought in with the expectation of ascending to the starter position. If he earns it eventually, good for him! Personally, I see several benefits to him having joined the roster.

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:41 am

I am one who strongly believes we need to get the backup QBs in for some "meaningful" minutes and let them run regular plays, HOWEVER, there is a reality the last few years that is probably preventing us from doing it.

In the last few years, we have not exactly jumped on teams in the first half and "put them away" just to enjoy a fat lead throughout the second half. Most of the games where we finished with a comfortable margin occurred in the 2nd half. IMO, we have not been consistently running like a well oiled machine and I suspect coaches feel the same therefore use more time from starters to try to continue to get the 1's and 2's across the board working in a more fluid manner. It appears this last point becomes the priority vs getting the #2 QB reps, as it should be. Years ago when we frequently came out of the gate hot and roll opponents early, it is an easy decision to put in more and more backups. But absent that it becomes more valuable for the first guys to stay in, get more reps together to work out kinks in real games. I believe I have heard Clark say several times we are not getting out of the gate quick enough. It could also be argued we are playing a consistently stronger schedule end to end. In FCS days we would have a handful of good teams then a lot of weak teams where we had a much larger margin of error. Those days are gone now.

Here are a few examples from last year:
Elon - final 44-10, half 13-3
GaSt - final 45-16, half 14-6
* ULM - final 59-28, half 49-7
ArkSt - final 48-14, half 24-14
USA - final 31-7, half 14-7
Troy - final 45-7, half 10-7
GaSo - final 27-3, half 7-0

With the exception of ULM, which if you recall, they came out of half on fire and made a run on us, we were a second half team last year.

pop5app
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:54 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:41 am
I am one who strongly believes we need to get the backup QBs in for some "meaningful" minutes and let them run regular plays, HOWEVER, there is a reality the last few years that is probably preventing us from doing it.

In the last few years, we have not exactly jumped on teams in the first half and "put them away" just to enjoy a fat lead throughout the second half. Most of the games where we finished with a comfortable margin occurred in the 2nd half. IMO, we have not been consistently running like a well oiled machine and I suspect coaches feel the same therefore use more time from starters to try to continue to get the 1's and 2's across the board working in a more fluid manner. It appears this last point becomes the priority vs getting the #2 QB reps, as it should be. Years ago when we frequently came out of the gate hot and roll opponents early, it is an easy decision to put in more and more backups. But absent that it becomes more valuable for the first guys to stay in, get more reps together to work out kinks in real games. I believe I have heard Clark say several times we are not getting out of the gate quick enough. It could also be argued we are playing a consistently stronger schedule end to end. In FCS days we would have a handful of good teams then a lot of weak teams where we had a much larger margin of error. Those days are gone now.

Here are a few examples from last year:
Elon - final 44-10, half 13-3
GaSt - final 45-16, half 14-6
* ULM - final 59-28, half 49-7
ArkSt - final 48-14, half 24-14
USA - final 31-7, half 14-7
Troy - final 45-7, half 10-7
GaSo - final 27-3, half 7-0

With the exception of ULM, which if you recall, they came out of half on fire and made a run on us, we were a second half team last year.
Excellent review! This is one of the reasons 10-3 was a little
of a disappointment. Teams we were clearly better than, were still in the game well Into the third Qtr. Slow starting we had better NOT be next year or we could easily have a losing record.

bigdaddyg
Posts: 4441
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1584 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:34 am

pop5app wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:54 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:41 am
I am one who strongly believes we need to get the backup QBs in for some "meaningful" minutes and let them run regular plays, HOWEVER, there is a reality the last few years that is probably preventing us from doing it.

In the last few years, we have not exactly jumped on teams in the first half and "put them away" just to enjoy a fat lead throughout the second half. Most of the games where we finished with a comfortable margin occurred in the 2nd half. IMO, we have not been consistently running like a well oiled machine and I suspect coaches feel the same therefore use more time from starters to try to continue to get the 1's and 2's across the board working in a more fluid manner. It appears this last point becomes the priority vs getting the #2 QB reps, as it should be. Years ago when we frequently came out of the gate hot and roll opponents early, it is an easy decision to put in more and more backups. But absent that it becomes more valuable for the first guys to stay in, get more reps together to work out kinks in real games. I believe I have heard Clark say several times we are not getting out of the gate quick enough. It could also be argued we are playing a consistently stronger schedule end to end. In FCS days we would have a handful of good teams then a lot of weak teams where we had a much larger margin of error. Those days are gone now.

Here are a few examples from last year:
Elon - final 44-10, half 13-3
GaSt - final 45-16, half 14-6
* ULM - final 59-28, half 49-7
ArkSt - final 48-14, half 24-14
USA - final 31-7, half 14-7
Troy - final 45-7, half 10-7
GaSo - final 27-3, half 7-0

With the exception of ULM, which if you recall, they came out of half on fire and made a run on us, we were a second half team last year.
Excellent review! This is one of the reasons 10-3 was a little
of a disappointment. Teams we were clearly better than, were still in the game well Into the third Qtr. Slow starting we had better NOT be next year or we could easily have a losing record.
Agree. The scores breakdown is good stuff. We can look back at the threads for pretty much every game to see the concern/angst that was there nearly every week. In nearly every win there was complaining about play calling and in several games we pulled away in the second half. We seem to have too many games where the lead just wasn’t comfortable enough to pull Chase. I don’t recall what we did against ULM in the second half as far as offense but I believe it got kind of sloppy with us allowing a long bomb and lots of vanilla offense on our part.

I totally get the not wanting the number 2 to get hurt but dang you need to let that guy play at some point. With the “free agent” transfer portal the better teams will just bring in a guy who played some at his former school and the guys who have worked hard for reps will get pushed aside. We need to be careful with the portal love as I can see it biting us in the butt if we lose recruited QB’s.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 11316
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3341 times
Been thanked: 1789 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:27 am

Personally I honestly don't see a great deal of difference between putting QB2 into the game early in the 4thQ with a 31-13 lead or in the last 2 minutes with a 31-13 lead - Wouldn't the instructions to QB2 be basically the same --- "don't screw up - no turnovers - keep in simple" (or words offering similar instructions) - That is night and day from going into the game in the 2ndQ down 17-7, etc., Unless, as a coach, you are willing to do the latter, then what purpose is actually served by giving QB2 any significant playing time when the game is not on the line?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
ASUPATCH
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:52 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 pm
I realize (like most folks) that having a solid and experienced QB is critical and depth is crucial but year after year people get on here and seriously worry and debate who our 4th string guy is going to be. Barring injury when is the last time our second string QB had ANY meaningful minutes in a game other than that Coastal game what seems like 100 years ago. Even in garbage time over the last 4 years or more our backup has generally only made basic handoffs and thrown a few short passes. I get the whole one turf toe injury away but to get hung up on who the 3rd and 4th guys on the depth chart will be is crazy. If we get down to QB 4 we are cooked.

Georgia Southern Halloween game 2/3 years ago. It was a loss.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!
Image

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pm

I like Ponce and appreciate all he has done for App State football. I had high expectations for him as the "play caller" going into last year. However, IMO, his offensive play calling never got into a rhythm "on a consistent basis". That was absolutely a problem under Tony Peterson the previous year. It just seemed that with all the tools we had last year on offense we would have been able to achieve a more fluid flow throughout the games.

I assume that play calling rhythm is a big goal for Clark every year. That is sometimes a hard thing to define but for me you can feel it either working or not working. The devil is in the details.

bigdaddyg
Posts: 4441
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1584 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:17 pm

I often wish that games would offer alternative camera angles like they do for some basketball games (above the rim) like an endzone shot for example. I’ve thought that if you could watch a game from behind the play you could see more routes being run. We critique/criticize our various coordinators for vanilla offenses or “bad plays”. Isn’t it possible that a certain play is drawn up and called for passes to go to certain guys but those guys either run the wrong route, break it off early or simply don’t get open? In that situation the QB either throws it anyway or makes a secondary read quickly and that either works or it doesn’t. That same coordinator might call a run play that should work against a certain defensive front but low and behold that defense switches up and the holes go away or a lineman misses an assignment. A lot can happen. But back to the camera angle. Being able to pretty much see the play develop might lend more appreciation to the difficulties associated with play calling. You north endzone folks might be able to chime in this.

AppSt94
Posts: 6945
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 4254 times
Been thanked: 2397 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:45 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:17 pm
I often wish that games would offer alternative camera angles like they do for some basketball games (above the rim) like an endzone shot for example. I’ve thought that if you could watch a game from behind the play you could see more routes being run. We critique/criticize our various coordinators for vanilla offenses or “bad plays”. Isn’t it possible that a certain play is drawn up and called for passes to go to certain guys but those guys either run the wrong route, break it off early or simply don’t get open? In that situation the QB either throws it anyway or makes a secondary read quickly and that either works or it doesn’t. That same coordinator might call a run play that should work against a certain defensive front but low and behold that defense switches up and the holes go away or a lineman misses an assignment. A lot can happen. But back to the camera angle. Being able to pretty much see the play develop might lend more appreciation to the difficulties associated with play calling. You north endzone folks might be able to chime in this.
That is precisely why I chose to sit in the NEZ. It allows you to see the whole field. Honestly, I don’t really watch the ball anymore. I can see the replay to see what happened. I watch to see why it happened. The ONLY issue with those seats is that it is difficult to gauge how far a run goes. Especially as they are moving away from you.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 486 times
Been thanked: 924 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:57 pm

I am in the NEZ as well. Was not sure if I would like it or not. Similar to 94, Drawback is hard to tell running yards on short running plays. But to see the route running WRs and the windows that Chase throws through more than make up for it. A few examples..cannot whether Marsha or Chickens, the pass over the middle to Williams sliding behind the LBs was the best play for bowing in NEZ. 2. Sutton TD in the corner, seeing his route develop and the catch (will admit, no clue if he was in or out at time of catch). Hennis several catches down the sideline where it was who wants it more Henni or defender..great view to see how Henni would force a foot or two to get open (of course it was not offensive pass interference).
If they could put cameras below the middke of goal posts, that would be awesome.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

bigdaddyg
Posts: 4441
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1584 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri May 06, 2022 12:52 pm

Read that Peoples graduated. Is he planning on playing this fall?

AppSt94
Posts: 6945
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 4254 times
Been thanked: 2397 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:24 pm

I haven’t heard otherwise.

AppStFan1
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri May 06, 2022 3:24 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:52 pm
Read that Peoples graduated. Is he planning on playing this fall?
You mean is he planning to play for App or not at all? The deadline to enter the portal has passed so I would think he will stay at App unless someone offers him major NIL money to leave. I wonder how many of our guys have been approached like that? I feel like we have been lucky to not have a star player do this to us yet.

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 5825
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 1808 times

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 06, 2022 5:59 pm

It would take a lot of NIL money to cover the cost of breaking a Boone landlord lease for over a year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”