Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Projected football depth after Spring

CoachRob
School: Appalachian State

Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:42 am

Happy Easter Everyone!

With a little down time, I'm itching to find news on how Spring practice went for our guys, but am struggling to find much on depth or projected depth. For those who are in the know, or those who think they know, who looks like is going to be competing in the 2 deep? Obviously QB & RB looks set, but a lot of moving parts everywhere else.

Who's top 4 CB? S? OLBs? ILBs?
Who's top 6 DL? WR/TE?
Who's top 8 OL?

Please share your thoughts

AppSt94

Re: Projected football depth after Spring

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:38 pm

The only thing confirmed at this point is that Burger is QB 2.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:38 pm
A little disconcerting, unless burger is a big time talent.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:48 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
In what way? Because he is a True Freshman and a turf toe away from starting or because he beat out Tabscott?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:29 pm

My guess Berger was #2 out of spring but more likely than not the #2 in the fall will be the transfer from TXST Grady McBride.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Agree.Hopefully Berger will redshirt.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:48 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
In what way? Because he is a True Freshman and a turf toe away from starting or because he beat out Tabscott?
Turf toe away from starting over Brice?

I meant in general that a kid who’s supposed to be still in HS beat out our last 4 years of recruits if you include those who already transferred

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:36 pm

Berger is currently 2a and Tabscott is 2b. Tabscott was also dealing with injuries.

Remember, our clear cut number two after last spring was Tanner Wilson....

That said, Berger is going to be that good if he stays healthy. Kid can flat out play
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:52 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:48 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Turf toe away from starting over Brice?

I meant in general that a kid who’s supposed to be still in HS beat out our last 4 years of recruits if you include those who already transferred
To be fair, Tabscott is the only one of the scholarship QBs that signed over the last four years left on the current roster. All of the others transferred for various reasons. But Burger beating him out wasn’t much of a surprise to some. The kid is special.

And no. Not starting over Brice. I meant if Brice was injured and can’t play. The depth chart at QB after fall camp more than likely will be Brice, McBride, Burger and Tabscott in that order and I venture to say that preserving Burger’s RS will be priority.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:56 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:42 am
Happy Easter Everyone!

With a little down time, I'm itching to find news on how Spring practice went for our guys, but am struggling to find much on depth or projected depth. For those who are in the know, or those who think they know, who looks like is going to be competing in the 2 deep? Obviously QB & RB looks set, but a lot of moving parts everywhere else.

Who's top 4 CB? S? OLBs? ILBs?
Who's top 6 DL? WR/TE?
Who's top 8 OL?

Please share your thoughts
There likely isn’t a true depth chart after Spring that can be published as many of the starters sat out with minor surgeries.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:10 pm

ESPN way too early power rankings have us #1 in the league followed by Marsha .I think LaLa and CCU followed if I remember correctly.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 pm

I realize (like most folks) that having a solid and experienced QB is critical and depth is crucial but year after year people get on here and seriously worry and debate who our 4th string guy is going to be. Barring injury when is the last time our second string QB had ANY meaningful minutes in a game other than that Coastal game what seems like 100 years ago. Even in garbage time over the last 4 years or more our backup has generally only made basic handoffs and thrown a few short passes. I get the whole one turf toe injury away but to get hung up on who the 3rd and 4th guys on the depth chart will be is crazy. If we get down to QB 4 we are cooked.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:50 am

Back in the day number two saw meaningful time in about every game, college and NFL .Not talking about alternating series or the Staubach/Morton experiment but a series ,maybe two a game.Not sure it wasn't a pretty good practice.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:33 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:50 am
Back in the day number two saw meaningful time in about every game, college and NFL .Not talking about alternating series or the Staubach/Morton experiment but a series ,maybe two a game.Not sure it wasn't a pretty good practice.
I often wonder why we don’t bring in the backup and let him run some semblance of the actual offense when a game is pretty much in hand? Like a game where we have a 3 score lead and 10ish minutes left. Coming on to hand the ball off or kneel down in the last 2:00 is pointless

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:59 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:33 am
Stonewall wrote:
I often wonder why we don’t bring in the backup and let him run some semblance of the actual offense when a game is pretty much in hand? Like a game where we have a 3 score lead and 10ish minutes left. Coming on to hand the ball off or kneel down in the last 2:00 is pointless
You say that, but what if the backup gets two back to back turnovers and gets the other team in the game? Then, all of a sudden it's a "why even let the backup play?"

Likewise, what if we keep the starter in a meaningless part of the game and he gets hurt?

Not staying you specifically, but every decision a coach makes is a damn if you do, damn if you don't. And AppNation is the epitome of hindsight coaching.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:19 pm

In college football, a 3 score lead with 10 minutes left is not a given W. This is why college FB is so great. It seems crazy things happen all the time. With that said, it would be nice to see the backups get more time against a nonconference opponent if opportunity presents itself.
Let's take Berger for example, if truly is a competitor and long-term going to be the guy. , I am all for giving him some opportunities up to the 4 game limit to maintain RS classification. if there are opportunities.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:36 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:59 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
You say that, but what if the backup gets two back to back turnovers and gets the other team in the game? Then, all of a sudden it's a "why even let the backup play?"

Likewise, what if we keep the starter in a meaningless part of the game and he gets hurt?

Not staying you specifically, but every decision a coach makes is a damn if you do, damn if you don't. And AppNation is the epitome of hindsight coaching.
Kind of reinforces my point. If our number 2 is an injury away from being the starter but we don’t trust he can move the offense in this situation then we don’t have a viable solution in that scenario. It’s a catch-22 I know. And I’m not advocating that the number 2 come in and throw bombs but safe short passes mixed in with the regular running offense is what we would need- especially against non-conference or the crappier opponents.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:47 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:36 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:59 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Kind of reinforces my point. If our number 2 is an injury away from being the starter but we don’t trust he can move the offense in this situation then we don’t have a viable solution in that scenario. It’s a catch-22 I know. And I’m not advocating that the number 2 come in and throw bombs but safe short passes mixed in with the regular running offense is what we would need- especially against non-conference or the crappier opponents.
Is that what it is? We don't trust the back up? Or is it that we want to keep the backup healthy in case QB1 gets hurt?

My point is every decision is criticized.

I'll let the people that get paid to eat, breath, and sleep football make those decisions. Each person on staff has forgotten more about football than 99% of this board has ever learned.
tAPPedInSports.net

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:42 pm

The staff is going to leave the starter in there until they feel the game is in hand. That's essentially what the vast majority of teams around the country do, absent a change-of-pace situation, e.g., a guy who comes in to run the wildcat or something. It's just quite rare that teams who have an established starter also have a weekly plan to bring in the young backup for meaningful experience. Everyone is trying to win now.

The real question is should we let the backup run something closer to a real offense when he does come in and we're up 35 or so. Then it's not so much a question of trust as it is sportsmanship (and also, just trying to get out of there without anyone getting hurt). I wouldn't be opposed to it outside the last 2 minutes or so of the game, but we just haven't chosen to do that for the most part.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Texas A&M excepted, the best defense our back ups will face is our first string defense in practice.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”