Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football Transfers

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Football Transfers

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:21 pm

firemoose

Re: Football Transfers

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:30 pm

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:50 pm

So Bucky is gonna start?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:24 am

Interesting that Clark and company have gotten an FCS OLineman for the second straight offseason. The last one has worked out well.

DB transfers have been more of a miss recently. On the surface, getting a D2 one from a one-win team is curious.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:24 am
Interesting that Clark and company have gotten an FCS OLineman for the second straight offseason. The last one has worked out well.

DB transfers have been more of a miss recently. On the surface, getting a D2 one from a one-win team is curious.
You can’t teach size. 6’3 190

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:10 am

I trust a vastly more experienced and highly paid football coaching staff to make decisions regarding recruiting and transfer guys but I would hope that we aren’t bringing on transfers just to fill open spots. Most of us aren’t delusional to think even our highly successful program is going to land 4 star Alabama transfers and the big time names don’t always just plug and play here. Our staff has done a pretty good job finding those hidden gems. Maybe we have 2 more.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:17 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 am
T-Dog wrote:

Nor game experience. That’s the key takeaway. He has gone out and got starters and not guys languishing down a depth chart.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:41 am

Reality of the transfer portal is 5 star and mid 4 star kids stay at P5 level. There are certainly 3 star kids at G5 that get cherry-picked to P5…… it happens at the G5 level too we cherry pick FCS kids and lower level kids. Who care about their winning record, it all about personnel needs and body-type and speed.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:27 am

T-Dog wrote:

Team record doesn’t bother me and I’m glad the guy has 3 years to play. If you take a flyer on a D2 guy then take one on a big guy like that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:17 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 am
T-Dog wrote:

Nor game experience. That’s the key takeaway. He has gone out and got starters and not guys languishing down a depth chart.
Well we haven’t gotten guys who don’t play at all but we have taken a few who didn’t start and we did take that mistake in Haskins who on paper looked like he might be an issue anyway. No team is going to get the portal right 100% of the time.

One huge plus is so far we haven’t had a starter bolt for a P5 yet. We have several who would get P5 offers so not losing any is a big deal that does not get mentioned.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:35 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:41 am
Reality of the transfer portal is 5 star and mid 4 star kids stay at P5 level. There are certainly 3 star kids at G5 that get cherry-picked to P5…… it happens at the G5 level too we cherry pick FCS kids and lower level kids. Who care about their winning record, it all about personnel needs and body-type and speed.
Plus, rarely have we had success with "high level" P5 players coming here. Corey Sutton obviously being a big exception.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:50 pm
So Bucky is gonna start?
I suppose he could. He has experience starting. But if he does, I wouldn’t read much into it. As I explained to a friend the other day, getting a guy from the portal, regardless of position, isn’t necessarily an indictment on the guys currently on the roster. You need depth. As important as it is for a two to step in for a one, you need a three that is capable of stepping up to be a two. Right now, across the OL, we have 4 guys that can play tackle, five guys that can play guard and three guys that can play center. They all aren’t plug and play, but all could play if called upon.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 am
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?
I suppose he could. He has experience starting. But if he does, I wouldn’t read much into it. As I explained to a friend the other day, getting a guy from the portal, regardless of position, isn’t necessarily an indictment on the guys currently on the roster. You need depth. As important as it is for a two to step in for a one, you need a three that is capable of stepping up to be a two. Right now, across the OL, we have 4 guys that can play tackle, five guys that can play guard and three guys that can play center. They all aren’t plug and play, but all could play if called upon.
That's how I read this also. My gut feel is that we don't bring in a 280 lb FCS OL as an expected starter, but he could be a solid contributor in the rotation. Depth is extremely important. We have a lot of young talent (on paper) for the OL so this gives us another option with experience.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:10 am
I trust a vastly more experienced and highly paid football coaching staff to make decisions regarding recruiting and transfer guys but I would hope that we aren’t bringing on transfers just to fill open spots. Most of us aren’t delusional to think even our highly successful program is going to land 4 star Alabama transfers and the big time names don’t always just plug and play here. Our staff has done a pretty good job finding those hidden gems. Maybe we have 2 more.
Unless the 4 Star Alabama transfer has actually played, is he an upgrade or a disappointment based on his rating? That is the question.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?
That's how I read this also. My gut feel is that we don't bring in a 280 lb FCS OL as an expected starter, but he could be a solid contributor in the rotation. Depth is extremely important. We have a lot of young talent (on paper) for the OL so this gives us another option with experience.
For me, I would remove the FCS level part of your comment. I don’t want to insinuate if that was a dig, so I’ll leave it alone. He played tackle at AP so he has decent reach and footwork. Is it good enough at this level? It may not be but he has the skills that he may be able to overcome it. Now if he is like Helms, he may be hard to keep off the field. Helms is a nice kid if you talk with him, but pardon my language, but he is one nasty MoFo when it comes to playing and training.

Fun fact. The Williams kid’s daddy played at Southern.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:39 am

Offensive linemen is an interesting position. How exactly are these guys rated in high school? You can have a 6’3” 275 guy who dominates at a 2A school or at a 4A school. That same young (not yet fully grown) man could go to an FCS program, grow 2” and add 30 pounds of muscle or stay virtually the same. He could go to a big P5 and add weight but stay 6’3” and either play or ride the bench as a reserve. We have shown that we can put offensive linemen in the pros and a few have had good careers. As far as bringing in the FCS lineman I don’t see a huge issue if the guy is strong and has technique. We have bigger and possibly stronger linemen who never take a snap.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:39 am
Offensive linemen is an interesting position. How exactly are these guys rated in high school? You can have a 6’3” 275 guy who dominates at a 2A school or at a 4A school. That same young (not yet fully grown) man could go to an FCS program, grow 2” and add 30 pounds of muscle or stay virtually the same. He could go to a big P5 and add weight but stay 6’3” and either play or ride the bench as a reserve. We have shown that we can put offensive linemen in the pros and a few have had good careers. As far as bringing in the FCS lineman I don’t see a huge issue if the guy is strong and has technique. We have bigger and possibly stronger linemen who never take a snap.
In short, who the hell know how they get rated. Lol. I’m sure they look at measurables and footwork. I’m sure techniques play a factor. OL guys that are in the portal are much narrower when it comes to what App needs. We don’t need a road grader per-say, rather we need guys that can read and react to what the defense is showing and block it accordingly to our scheme.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:35 am

Using a program like Alabama as an example, I do not get too caught up on whether they got playing time. I may be wrong, but wasn't the RB for Bama this year down on the depth chart and finally got to play...and did well.
If we are taking down on the depth chart at a lower level P5 or lower level G5, then you got to trust the coaches and evaluating talent... whether the individual is down on the depth chart at Bama or any other school. Hopefully, Coach Clark and team do a great job.
A transfer that I am interested in seeing develop is Pickney, the Tech transfer. I like to see kids that have adversity and then perform well.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?
For me, I would remove the FCS level part of your comment. I don’t want to insinuate if that was a dig, so I’ll leave it alone. He played tackle at AP so he has decent reach and footwork. Is it good enough at this level? It may not be but he has the skills that he may be able to overcome it. Now if he is like Helms, he may be hard to keep off the field. Helms is a nice kid if you talk with him, but pardon my language, but he is one nasty MoFo when it comes to playing and training.

Doing a little research - Williams was also offered by Illinois while in the portal, and has 2 years left to play.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 0remaining.

Also from that article:

Williams also holds FBS offers from Duke, Western Kentucky, Bowling Green, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Buffalo, Appalachian State, James Madison and Old Dominion.

Did they promise him he could start? Of course not! But - he was all-conference last year...so I doubt he's coming here with the intention of providing depth. Always good to have a competitive group pushing each other!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 am

appgrad wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?

Doing a little research - Williams was also offered by Illinois while in the portal, and has 2 years left to play.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 0remaining.

Also from that article:

Williams also holds FBS offers from Duke, Western Kentucky, Bowling Green, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Buffalo, Appalachian State, James Madison and Old Dominion.

Did they promise him he could start? Of course not! But - he was all-conference last year...so I doubt he's coming here with the intention of providing depth. Always good to have a competitive group pushing each other!
I think that he was an All-Conference at tackle. He wasn’t brought in to play tackle here. Could he? Certainly. If he were to win the spot at one of the guard spots, that really helps our depth. He also has experience at Center and our current 1 and 2 at Center don’t have a lot of experience. So he allows you to either move Helms to Center and play guard or he can play Center. He provides a lot of options along the line.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”