Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football Transfers

Saint3333

Re: Football Transfers

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:59 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:56 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:27 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:12 am
appstate5 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:29 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Counterpoint: No it isn't.
I beg to differ. Did you see where the Kansas State basketball player got a $800,000 NIL deal AND a car to transfer to Miami? How is that possibly good for smaller schools like App?
There's nothing wrong with players being paid. Should there be a cap? Probably but its the nature of the beast as it is right now. Also love the TP as well. Before we start arguing who's right or wrong on this subject, let's truly see the percentage of athletes that are getting NIL's. My guess would be 10-15% and again most in the P5's. As for your question about smaller schools - Super conferences are coming, the rich are going to get richer no doubt. Hope APP has a seat at the tables when it does but its gonna take LOTS of money and I don't think (as of right now) people are ready to make that commitment. (Yosef club etc...).
Thoughtful take. I would suggest if you're going to cap NIL deals then you should do the same for coaches' salaries.
I think they may be hard - if donors want a coach they will pay
Sounds like the first step for a salary cap for the new minor league football league (aka the top 40 programs of the current NCAA).

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:59 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
appstate5 wrote:

I beg to differ. Did you see where the Kansas State basketball player got a $800,000 NIL deal AND a car to transfer to Miami? How is that possibly good for smaller schools like App?
There's nothing wrong with players being paid. Should there be a cap? Probably but its the nature of the beast as it is right now. Also love the TP as well. Before we start arguing who's right or wrong on this subject, let's truly see the percentage of athletes that are getting NIL's. My guess would be 10-15% and again most in the P5's. As for your question about smaller schools - Super conferences are coming, the rich are going to get richer no doubt. Hope APP has a seat at the tables when it does but its gonna take LOTS of money and I don't think (as of right now) people are ready to make that commitment. (Yosef club etc...).
Thoughtful take. I would suggest if you're going to cap NIL deals then you should do the same for coaches' salaries.
Sounds like the first step for a salary cap for the new minor league football league (aka the top 40 programs of the current NCAA).
I think Top 50 or so. I know it's never going to happen but I love the Premier league set up. Lets say the last 10 teams have losing records in the SC for 2-3 years you must move down to Tier 2. The Top 10 from Tier 2 get to move up. Too much money involved so its not gonna happen but It give teams incentives.

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:32 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
appstate5 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
dtrain4prez wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:31 pm

What a joke....this transfer portal crap is going to ruin college football.
I have no philosophical problem with the concept of NIL. I just think the athletes should earn what they receive and it be somewhat commensurate with the job they are performing. I'm not fond of the idea that some big donor can just bankroll a team and ask nothing in return.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:48 am

hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:32 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
appstate5 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

I have no philosophical problem with the concept of NIL. I just think the athletes should earn what they receive and it be somewhat commensurate with the job they are performing. I'm not fond of the idea that some big donor can just bankroll a team and ask nothing in return.
It's been happening since the NCAA started. It's just "legal" now

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:09 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:07 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

I think Top 50 or so. I know it's never going to happen but I love the Premier league set up. Lets say the last 10 teams have losing records in the SC for 2-3 years you must move down to Tier 2. The Top 10 from Tier 2 get to move up. Too much money involved so its not gonna happen but It give teams incentives.
Relegation becomes more complicated when you have multiple sports involved in a conference affiliation. Rivalries get busted up and fans lose interest. I like the idea in some ways but don't see it working in college sports.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:27 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:09 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Relegation becomes more complicated when you have multiple sports involved in a conference affiliation. Rivalries get busted up and fans lose interest. I like the idea in some ways but don't see it working in college sports.
Agree. I get the premise but as you said, football is just one sport in a program.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:33 pm

I really believe that if you take the entire alumni/fan base (even the ones who didn’t attend) of most any school only a relatively small percentage of each is really into the sports to the degree that many of us are. At LOTS of schools even if the football team is bad or average and isn’t realistically in the top 30 hunt annually most of the fans don’t really care and still attend games, tailgate and root for the team. I’m sure that at Illinois they have a huge segment that simply enjoys games and doesn’t get caught up in the madness that many of us obsess over- namely trying to figure out how to get in the Natty. I absolutely loved the SOCON days, beating Michigan, scaring a few other big boys, the playoffs and the NC games. I understood our place in the football universe and it was still fun. I’ve greatly enjoyed our new place, was overjoyed after beating the Carolinas and was super excited for the first couple of bowl games. The last few, not so much as it’s become obvious what that ceiling is. I think some of the shine has been worn off of the regular season as we know what is needed to get the NY6 or better. Programs would kill to win 10 games a year and many fan bases would love it as well. I just think that over expectations ruins the fun sometimes.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:40 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:09 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Yeah I was thinking about only football. The Basketballs with over 300 teams might be fun... :shock:

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
appstate5 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
dtrain4prez wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:31 pm
firemoose wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Robinson has backed out of his commitment and is committing to Kentucky.
What a joke....this transfer portal crap is going to ruin college football.
There's nothing wrong with players being paid. Should there be a cap? Probably but its the nature of the beast as it is right now. Also love the TP as well. Before we start arguing who's right or wrong on this subject, let's truly see the percentage of athletes that are getting NIL's. My guess would be 10-15% and again most in the P5's. As for your question about smaller schools - Super conferences are coming, the rich are going to get richer no doubt. Hope APP has a seat at the table when it does but its gonna take LOTS of money and I don't think (as of right now) people are ready to make that commitment. (Yosef club etc...).
I have no issues with NIL but I certainly do not believe players should get paid by the university. They are getting a free education which I believe to be fair for playing a game they love. It does not matter how much the schools are making; is the compensation (education) fair for the service provided? If players think it is not fair, don't play. The owner of the company I work for is worth over $300M- does that mean I should get paid more? She started the company about 24 years ago with nothing and took all the risk. If I believe I am fairly compensated for the work I do, it matters not how much the boss/owner is making.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:25 pm

BigdaddyG I agree completely with your previous post. Ny6 is always going to be a long, long shot...what I think will help would be a completely revised bowl system where 12-1 G5 teams could play in as quality bowl
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:25 pm

Remember in ‘23 when Cincy, UCF and Houston move to Big 12, it will be significantly easier to reach NY6.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:39 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:25 pm
Remember in ‘23 when Cincy, UCF and Houston move to Big 12, it will be significantly easier to reach NY6.
For the overall G5 it's easier. But for App, with our new teams, it's going to be difficult to win our division, much less finish with 0 or 1 loss which is almost required for the NY6.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:47 pm

I agree that it will be easier with those teams leaving the G5... and the new teams are what makes the SunBelt East the best division in G5.... bring them on...

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:19 pm

My idea for the bowls seems simple and potentially exciting all year. Predetermine the rankings of every bowl before the season starts from top to bottom. If the top 2 bowls are reserved for the 4 playoff teams that’s fine. The next non-playoff bowl pits the 5th v 6th ranked teams. Continue down the line. If there are, say 6 NY’s Day bowls then the 5th-16th ranked teams earn those bids. Get rid of the highest G5 crap. If we beat 2 quality P5’s, a solid G5 and go unbeaten that has to warrant a top 16 rank. Takes care of the NY6 bowl. You keep some added level of excitement once the bowl rankings come out. Teams can climb or fall on the list and the tie-ins get eliminated.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:07 am

*** I may have to amend my thinking...it is a fluid situation*** BUT I did just see what's happening at The U and while I love the idea of NIL's, holding a team hostage is not what it was intended for. I'm all for the athletes getting stipends - hopefully everyone works in the right direction for a viable solution. Still LOVE the TP 100%

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:47 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:07 am
*** I may have to amend my thinking...it is a fluid situation*** BUT I did just see what's happening at The U and while I love the idea of NIL's, holding a team hostage is not what it was intended for. I'm all for the athletes getting stipends - hopefully everyone works in the right direction for a viable solution. Still LOVE the TP 100%
Yeah, I thought the same. My understanding was that NIL deals can't be explicitly tied to performance or conditional on a player attending a particular school. While obviously there's some gray area there, I thought that situation sounded like a pretty explicit violation of that rule based on what the agent is saying.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:56 am

Only one party to blame - Mark Emmert
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:07 am

With all due respect WVA, nobody was going to stop the paying players train or the portal or any of the other changes that are going to happen.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:17 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:07 am
With all due respect WVA, nobody was going to stop the paying players train or the portal or any of the other changes that are going to happen.
100% athletes are going to get paid whether it legal or not. Been going on since the start of "amateur" athletics.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:08 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:19 pm
My idea for the bowls seems simple and potentially exciting all year. Predetermine the rankings of every bowl before the season starts from top to bottom. If the top 2 bowls are reserved for the 4 playoff teams that’s fine. The next non-playoff bowl pits the 5th v 6th ranked teams. Continue down the line. If there are, say 6 NY’s Day bowls then the 5th-16th ranked teams earn those bids. Get rid of the highest G5 crap. If we beat 2 quality P5’s, a solid G5 and go unbeaten that has to warrant a top 16 rank. Takes care of the NY6 bowl. You keep some added level of excitement once the bowl rankings come out. Teams can climb or fall on the list and the tie-ins get eliminated.
It is a noble idea but you also have to remember that bowls were put in place mostly to make money, not necessarily to yield the best team. The "bowl" wants and needs sponsors, attendance and revenue so they are going to setup alliances and relationships to achieve that goal. I like a playoff but also realize that once you get past the playoff cutoff (4, 8, 12 teams) and their associated bracket games, not technically bowls, all the rest are exhibition/reward games that don't contribute a lot to a final "ranking". Outside CFP bowls are merely good times, good memories, and a trophy to be proud of years down the road.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”