Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football Transfers

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Football Transfers

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 am

We just got better.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 am

appgrad wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:50 pm
So Bucky is gonna start?
I suppose he could. He has experience starting. But if he does, I wouldn’t read much into it. As I explained to a friend the other day, getting a guy from the portal, regardless of position, isn’t necessarily an indictment on the guys currently on the roster. You need depth. As important as it is for a two to step in for a one, you need a three that is capable of stepping up to be a two. Right now, across the OL, we have 4 guys that can play tackle, five guys that can play guard and three guys that can play center. They all aren’t plug and play, but all could play if called upon.
That's how I read this also. My gut feel is that we don't bring in a 280 lb FCS OL as an expected starter, but he could be a solid contributor in the rotation. Depth is extremely important. We have a lot of young talent (on paper) for the OL so this gives us another option with experience.
For me, I would remove the FCS level part of your comment. I don’t want to insinuate if that was a dig, so I’ll leave it alone. He played tackle at AP so he has decent reach and footwork. Is it good enough at this level? It may not be but he has the skills that he may be able to overcome it. Now if he is like Helms, he may be hard to keep off the field. Helms is a nice kid if you talk with him, but pardon my language, but he is one nasty MoFo when it comes to playing and training.

Fun fact. The Williams kid’s daddy played at Southern.
Doing a little research - Williams was also offered by Illinois while in the portal, and has 2 years left to play.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 0remaining.

Also from that article:

Williams also holds FBS offers from Duke, Western Kentucky, Bowling Green, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Buffalo, Appalachian State, James Madison and Old Dominion.

Did they promise him he could start? Of course not! But - he was all-conference last year...so I doubt he's coming here with the intention of providing depth. Always good to have a competitive group pushing each other!
No legit coaches would promise a guy that he would start before he even puts pads on at the school- of course some do. He got some pretty good offers of those are correct. Already has that mountain look! Hope he can contribute.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 am

Yeah - I just wante to point out that we shouldn't let where he came from be an indicator of his talent. It looks like a lot of schools wanted him, so I'm hopeful it means he is going to be a solid addition to the unit!

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:51 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 am
appgrad wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I suppose he could. He has experience starting. But if he does, I wouldn’t read much into it. As I explained to a friend the other day, getting a guy from the portal, regardless of position, isn’t necessarily an indictment on the guys currently on the roster. You need depth. As important as it is for a two to step in for a one, you need a three that is capable of stepping up to be a two. Right now, across the OL, we have 4 guys that can play tackle, five guys that can play guard and three guys that can play center. They all aren’t plug and play, but all could play if called upon.
That's how I read this also. My gut feel is that we don't bring in a 280 lb FCS OL as an expected starter, but he could be a solid contributor in the rotation. Depth is extremely important. We have a lot of young talent (on paper) for the OL so this gives us another option with experience.
For me, I would remove the FCS level part of your comment. I don’t want to insinuate if that was a dig, so I’ll leave it alone. He played tackle at AP so he has decent reach and footwork. Is it good enough at this level? It may not be but he has the skills that he may be able to overcome it. Now if he is like Helms, he may be hard to keep off the field. Helms is a nice kid if you talk with him, but pardon my language, but he is one nasty MoFo when it comes to playing and training.

Doing a little research - Williams was also offered by Illinois while in the portal, and has 2 years left to play.

Also from that article:

Williams also holds FBS offers from Duke, Western Kentucky, Bowling Green, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Buffalo, Appalachian State, James Madison and Old Dominion.

Did they promise him he could start? Of course not! But - he was all-conference last year...so I doubt he's coming here with the intention of providing depth. Always good to have a competitive group pushing each other!
No legit coaches would promise a guy that he would start before he even puts pads on at the school- of course some do. He got some pretty good offers of those are correct. Already has that mountain look! Hope he can contribute.
Definitely looks the part...and Boone is huge upgrade from Clarksville...and not much farther from his hometown!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:06 am

I'm pretty sure the Illinois offer was legit and he chose to come here instead. No guarantees what he produces here but I think this is a good pick up.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:29 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:06 am
I'm pretty sure the Illinois offer was legit and he chose to come here instead. No guarantees what he produces here but I think this is a good pick up.
This is correct. He was a take for Illinois.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am

What you get from a portal guy that played at G5/FCS level is more evidence of their in-game performance at a higher level than high school level. I am sure coaches factor that in and they can see what they really did at some college level.

On the high-P5 team but down the depth chart situations, if coaches like their intangibles, what you know was they practiced against the better players even if it is not in real games. So they have been able to sharpen their skills beyond high school while practicing against good players. There is value there.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am
What you get from a portal guy that played at G5/FCS level is more evidence of their in-game performance at a higher level than high school level. I am sure coaches factor that in and they can see what they really did at some college level.

On the high-P5 team but down the depth chart situations, if coaches like their intangibles, what you know was they practiced against the better players even if it is not in real games. So they have been able to sharpen their skills beyond high school while practicing against good players. There is value there.
You hope that is true for guys transferring down. The assumption being that they had good coaching at their disposal. But the question becomes did they take advantage of it? Game film is easy to get ahold of. Practice tape, not so much. I’m not saying that a kid transferring down is a red flag in every instance. Just that you have to factor a lot more unknowns into the equation.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:04 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am

You hope that is true for guys transferring down. The assumption being that they had good coaching at their disposal. But the question becomes did they take advantage of it? Game film is easy to get ahold of. Practice tape, not so much. I’m not saying that a kid transferring down is a red flag in every instance. Just that you have to factor a lot more unknowns into the equation.
If two staffs are close though they could easily share the film, especially if they don't play each other. I wonder how often that happens though? It is not hard at all to upload and zip a video file or use Dropbox if you want to give another staff a look at the video.

And that assumption is that the coaching was good because there are definitely good coaches and bad coaches or at least cases where some staffs are way better than another one.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Would you rather have a guy that starts at the G5/FCS level or rides the bench at the P5 level?

I'd go 75%+ known with some unknowns with upside (but no baggage in either case).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm
Would you rather have a guy that starts at the G5/FCS level or rides the bench at the P5 level?

I'd go 75%+ known with some unknowns with upside (but no baggage in either case).
If you are in the portal, you are filling a need. So the fewer unknowns for me, the better.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:58 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm

If you are in the portal, you are filling a need. So the fewer unknowns for me, the better.
We had a few come in who rode the pine at big P5’s. They didn’t exactly unseat anyone in front of them. I would say that a consistent starter at a solid G5 or even a really good FCS is as good as many P5 reserve players.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 am
appgrad wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Also from that article:

I think that he was an All-Conference at tackle. He wasn’t brought in to play tackle here. Could he? Certainly. If he were to win the spot at one of the guard spots, that really helps our depth. He also has experience at Center and our current 1 and 2 at Center don’t have a lot of experience. So he allows you to either move Helms to Center and play guard or he can play Center. He provides a lot of options along the line.
One of the best OL in the OVC for sure and in the spring he was an AFCA All-American as well. I would imagine he is a guard as well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Or center ,and yes he made at least one All American team .I like it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:58 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?

It wasn't intended as a dig at all. I have no disrespect for FCS and there are players there who could certainly contribute to App at many positions. It was just a generalized comment regarding the competition level. I hope every single guy that App signs competes and does well. I guess I am remembering that class of big OL a couple of years ago and hoping that they turn out to be the real deal, so my thinking is depth and anything above that is a bonus.

I hope he is a nasty OL....love having those on the field.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:46 am

Seems like there are so many variables that come into play. A kid is considered a bit undersized for a P5 so he goes FCS or G5. Gets on campus and grows an inch or 2 and packs on some muscle. He takes off and now figures he’s P5 or better G5 material and transfers. Either the gamble pays off or it doesn’t. Same kid is already big and strong/fast, etc in high school and gets lots of offers. Realistically he is G5 material (whatever that really is) but is lured by the P5 offer from a middling program. Goes there and sits the bench or barely plays. Now he sees the light and reaches out to the G5. Transfers “down” so to speak and again, it works out or it doesn’t. Other than the QB’s who move all over the country are there lots of transfer stories that went well? By that I mean did a lot of guys sit the bench, transfer and become starters and ultimately stars and then maybe went pro?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:13 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:58 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
So Bucky is gonna start?

It wasn't intended as a dig at all. I have no disrespect for FCS and there are players there who could certainly contribute to App at many positions. It was just a generalized comment regarding the competition level. I hope every single guy that App signs competes and does well. I guess I am remembering that class of big OL a couple of years ago and hoping that they turn out to be the real deal, so my thinking is depth and anything above that is a bonus.

I hope he is a nasty OL....love having those on the field.
I think that it will be more to you comment of a bonus. The last two classes of OL are in line for some playing time this year. There has been some attrition to that group, but the guys that are left are developing. They just need reps. Bringing in a mature guy with quality reps and quality talent will help the overall maturation process.

I would also add that having talked to a few different parents of OL players, Helms isn’t allowing any of them to take a moment off from getting better. Kid is a leader.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:08 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm
Or center ,and yes he made at least one All American team .I like it.
Definitely could be a center. The only reason I said guard is because he started at LG and LT in 2021 and I figured he is not a tackle with the fact we have the best returning OT duo in the Sun Belt. It will be interesting to see if he is our top backup or somehow beats out Daley or Everett.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:07 pm

The intangible for the kid "moving up" is that maybe he feels he got snubbed out of HS and went FCS/lower G5 and now is determined to prove everybody wrong. That can make for some extra motivation vs the kid who went P5 out of HS and is now "moving down" or settling for less than he thinks he deserves.
Obviously our coaches are looking for situations and trying to navigate appropriately.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:00 pm

QB Brady McBride from Texas St transferrring to App

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”