Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kidd Brewer Stadium Review

NeerNation1
School: Appalachian State

Kidd Brewer Stadium Review

Unread post by NeerNation1 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:13 pm

Saw this YouTube video on Kidd Brewer Stadium a couple of days ago, thought it was interesting. They’re called Road Team Reviews, looks like they do personal stadium reviews and grade them on certain categories. Apparently they visited other Sun Belt schools and so far this has been their highest Sun Belt grade. Pretty lengthy video but worth the watch. Link below:

APPdiesel

Re: Kidd Brewer Stadium Review

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:46 pm

I think it’s a fair review. I think they picked a less than stellar game to attend but their criticisms are valid. Tight west side, cheap aluminum east side, a lot of fans leaving at halftime. We’ve all bemoaned those issues for years.

Truthfully, and I love being at Kidd Brewer as much as the rest of you…but they’ve slapped one heck of a shade of lipstick on a pig in the last 15 years…and a pig it is. The structure itself is like a lot of old stadiums…it has its warts.

And why is it called the rock? I’d assume it’s just a marketing thing that stuck. Or does it have a real history maybe relating to the solid bedrock the stadium is built on?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:56 pm

The West needs an expansion of molded seats up in the top yellow seat area. It is definitely too crowded.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:24 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:46 pm
I think it’s a fair review. I think they picked a less than stellar game to attend but their criticisms are valid. Tight west side, cheap aluminum east side, a lot of fans leaving at halftime. We’ve all bemoaned those issues for years.

Truthfully, and I love being at Kidd Brewer as much as the rest of you…but they’ve slapped one heck of a shade of lipstick on a pig in the last 15 years…and a pig it is. The structure itself is like a lot of old stadiums…it has its warts.

And why is it called the rock? I’d assume it’s just a marketing thing that stuck. Or does it have a real history maybe relating to the solid bedrock the stadium is built on?
It was a erector set when they did it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:28 pm

Too low on atmosphere. Picked the weakest crowd for a score.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 am

I just don't care what anyone says "architecture" - what does the stadium "look like" to me only matters as to what it "looks like" when you are in stands or you are a player on the field - It "looks" full and loud -
And granted (although I haven't sat on the APP Side for probably 20 years) the aisles are narrow and the seats close together but I would say to them to go to Cameron Indoor and see if that makes a difference to the fans who are there?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:39 am

One of the worst stadiums I recall is Williams Brice. Steep, close, 80 k packed in. But I thought it was a wonderful place last time I was there!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:50 am

General stadium architecture is similar with all football/soccer stadiums. The things that make some unique are the backgrounds around the stadium and the stadiums ability to hold in sound. I've been in many a sports stadium and that's what sticks out to me the most. Seats are seats, walk ways are whatever. Are some more comfortable, sure, but that doesn't make one place more memorable than another. Location and sound control are important for unique architecture.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:03 am

No stadium seating was worse than Michigan…..

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:43 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:28 pm
What’s that saying - “you’re only as strong as your weakest link”. Our crowd isn’t great every week but moving to 16 and having more regional opponents will certainly help that.

And WVAPPeer…the “what about” argument is weak. The criticism is valid. Just because it’s bad other places too doesn’t make it not bad at Kidd Brewer. It’s absolutely true. KBS is what it is. But we love it anyway.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:43 am
Saint3333 wrote:
What’s that saying - “you’re only as strong as your weakest link”. Our crowd isn’t great every week but moving to 16 and having more regional opponents will certainly help that.

And WVAPPeer…the “what about” argument is weak. The criticism is valid. Just because it’s bad other places too doesn’t make it not bad at Kidd Brewer. It’s absolutely true. KBS is what it is. But we love it anyway.
Are you referring to "architecture"?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:50 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That, yes and I know it wasn’t your direct statement that Cameron is also cramped but it’s well known that it is. After re-reading your comment I know I kind of put words in your mouth that you didn’t actually say. Forgive me.

I hope one day that as KBS continues to grow if permanent seating is installed in the south end that efforts are made to spread the seat numbers apart (back to where they originally were) on the west side. I laugh and complain when I sit in that side when you can see where the old seat numbers used to be before they squeezed everyone just a little bit closer to fit 2 or 3 more seats on every row.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:35 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Let’s go check out Clemson vs Duke during a noon game.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:18 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:50 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That, yes and I know it wasn’t your direct statement that Cameron is also cramped but it’s well known that it is. After re-reading your comment I know I kind of put words in your mouth that you didn’t actually say. Forgive me.

I hope one day that as KBS continues to grow if permanent seating is installed in the south end that efforts are made to spread the seat numbers apart (back to where they originally were) on the west side. I laugh and complain when I sit in that side when you can see where the old seat numbers used to be before they squeezed everyone just a little bit closer to fit 2 or 3 more seats on every row.
You weren't wrong - that's what I was referring to - I just wasn't sure your comment was about architecture or another area of discussion
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:22 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:39 am
One of the worst stadiums I recall is Williams Brice. Steep, close, 80 k packed in. But I thought it was a wonderful place last time I was there!!
Agree, lived in Cola for 2 years. Great atmosphere for a football program that has been a mediocre football ball program for most of its history... tailgating was not too shabby either.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:11 pm

The Sun Belt is expanding to 14 football-playing schools.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:40 pm

That was the first, and only, cold game of the season. Clearly not our best showing. The first cold game is always a shock to the system, especially for those of us who are no longer lucky enough to call Boone our primary home.

It was a fair assessment. Some things we can improve upon, and some things we can’t.

But I’m not sure what they failed to see with our tailgate scene. Maybe because we no longer have one big lot next to the stadium? I think that it’s spread out throughout the town works in our favor, but maybe not. I’ve been to a fair number of college football games at different stadia in my life, and I’d put our tailgate scene up against most.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:51 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Permanent seating would likely reduce the number of fans who could sit on the hill. Do we want that?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:33 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:51 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Permanent seating would likely reduce the number of fans who could sit on the hill. Do we want that?
Siting on the hill takes up a ton of space. People spread out while sitting or half laying on the ground. Placing three sections of seats like the other bottom tier leave grass in each corner and then standing room in the pavement would allow for the most people. I'm not sure why this hasn't been done yet because it wouldn't exactly cost a whole bunch to put concrete on grade.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:44 am

NewApp, considering the push at a lot of the biggest stadiums across the country is contraction of seating (not saying we’re actually there, just saying it’s a trend) and a focus on fan amenities to make the in-stadium experience as comfortable and enticing as possible…yeah I think the athletic department needs to be open to all possibilities and options.

Athletic departments find themselves competing with what an increasing number of people believe to be a superior home viewing experience. Are cramped, claustrophobic conditions just for the sake of squeezing another 1,000 fans in the way to go? I’m not so sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”