Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kidd Brewer Stadium Review

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kidd Brewer Stadium Review

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:00 am

The video doesn't point to anything we didn't already know. Of course we know more about the history and evolution of KBS to speak on some of their points, but I thought it was a fair assessment.

I like the format of the video for the most part where they mix in different camera angles, live shots of them walking and showing the town, etc. One thing they should change in my opinion (I don't care enough to tell them this directly haha) is to give more of the review while showing scenes from the stadium as opposed to just sitting in a room talking about everything.

Very cool concept and name for their channel though.

Anyone interested in starting a similar channel with me? Haha
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:21 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:44 am
NewApp, considering the push at a lot of the biggest stadiums across the country is contraction of seating (not saying we’re actually there, just saying it’s a trend) and a focus on fan amenities to make the in-stadium experience as comfortable and enticing as possible…yeah I think the athletic department needs to be open to all possibilities and options.

Athletic departments find themselves competing with what an increasing number of people believe to be a superior home viewing experience. Are cramped, claustrophobic conditions just for the sake of squeezing another 1,000 fans in the way to go? I’m not so sure.
This is exactly what needs to happen. KBS currently suffers in so many ways; one the isles are extremely narrow, each row is extremely narrow and then thirdly the spacing of each seat is designed for someone who is 5 foot 6 and 125 pounds.

The upper 1/3 to even 50% of sections 202, 203 and 204 need to be an expanded gold seat area with premium pricing and perhaps some amenities.

Obviously there'll be a lot of people who will be angry because likely 20% of the season ticket holders in those areas will have to be pushed out due to the contraction of the number of seats all the while there will be a subset who does get to stay but is angry that it now costs more.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 pm

My 2 takeaways from the video:
1) Tailgating - Building the new dorms needed to happen, but losing the Stadium lot is going to have a lasting effect on the game day experience in Boone. I hope the Athletic Department is working on a way to cultivate Greenwood, Broyhill (or whatever the top by the baseball stadium is called), and other spots around campus. We need these lots to have a family friendly experience as well as a place for undergrads to go and have a blast. I've thought for a long time the university should do more to encourage students to gather on Sanford Mall and pregame. Now that the Duck Pond field is gone maybe they'll start.

2) Lack of Traditions - it is odd that a school with as rich of a football culture and as passionate of a fanbase as we have that there aren't more traditions. They need to be organic and not forced, but Mountaineer Walk, APP!!! STATÉ!!! are as obvious as being loud on 3rd Down.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:41 pm

Hot takes:
1) We should shrink capacity before we ever think about adding seating! It's too easy to walk-up and buy tickets to games. I'm hoping the new SBC alignment will force more people to join the Yosef Club and become season ticket holders. 4,000 Yosef Club members simply won't cut it.
2) Miller Hill should NEVER be converted to seats. It can be standing room only for big games and added capacity.
3) If we had money to burn (which we don't) then brick in the columns on the East Side. It would give it a more finished look on a budget.
4) Close stadium drive to anything but emergency vehicles and foot traffic 90 mins before kick-off and have the band perform. Late arrivers can get to the Stadium parking deck via the back entrance. Have Chancellor Everts drive her golf cart to get the old folks up the stadium during that time. It'll be the first time she's spent her time wisely since her arrival.
5) Visiting fans should be on the East Side closest to Miller Hill and away from the NEZ!
6) Sell Black or Yellow pom-poms for $1-2 in the parking lots before the game. Sell the handle as ad space to a business and double-dip on the revenue. It's less about making money and more about the experience during the game.
7) Have someone walk through the parking lots with an iPad and a Square asking for Yosef Club donations. Drunk, passionate, fans on gameday is the perfect time to ask for money. If its an attractive lady challenging 1 alumni to out donate his college buddy you may have figured a way to strike gold!

I'm done for now...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:08 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp, considering the push at a lot of the biggest stadiums across the country is contraction of seating (not saying we’re actually there, just saying it’s a trend) and a focus on fan amenities to make the in-stadium experience as comfortable and enticing as possible…yeah I think the athletic department needs to be open to all possibilities and options.

Athletic departments find themselves competing with what an increasing number of people believe to be a superior home viewing experience. Are cramped, claustrophobic conditions just for the sake of squeezing another 1,000 fans in the way to go? I’m not so sure.

Didn't the AD already say he wanted Kidd Brewer to be the best 30,000 seat stadium in the nation...or something like that? Fits right in to what you are saying.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 pm
1) Tailgating - Building the new dorms needed to happen, but losing the Stadium lot is going to have a lasting effect on the game day experience in Boone. I hope the Athletic Department is working on a way to cultivate Greenwood, Broyhill (or whatever the top by the baseball stadium is called), and other spots around campus. We need these lots to have a family friendly experience as well as a place for undergrads to go and have a blast. I've thought for a long time the university should do more to encourage students to gather on Sanford Mall and pregame. Now that the Duck Pond field is gone maybe they'll start.

2) Lack of Traditions - it is odd that a school with as rich of a football culture and as passionate of a fanbase as we have that there aren't more traditions. They need to be organic and not forced, but Mountaineer Walk, APP!!! STATÉ!!! are as obvious as being loud on 3rd Down.
There are going to be two parking lots; one where Gardner, Coltrane and the old Justice parking lot was and another after Bowie and Eggers are torn down this summer. Those two new lots plus the top of the new parking garage will actually be larger than the ugly ass stadium lot.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:29 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

There are going to be two parking lots; one where Gardner, Coltrane and the old Justice parking lot was and another after Bowie and Eggers are torn down this summer. Those two new lots plus the top of the new parking garage will actually be larger than the ugly ass stadium lot.
Are we building enough dorm housing to replace all the ones we are razing? It's my understanding, however true or not, that students have to move off campus by the time they finish their sophomore year with some infrequent exceptions. I'm sure we are building bigger ones, but still.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:44 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:29 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

Are we building enough dorm housing to replace all the ones we are razing? It's my understanding, however true or not, that students have to move off campus by the time they finish their sophomore year with some infrequent exceptions. I'm sure we are building bigger ones, but still.
I believe there will be a small net gain of beds by the time all the building is done, but there will never be enough on-campus housing to hold more than freshmen and sophomores. We have an enrollment of over 20,000 now. I think on-campus housing can accommodate somewhere between 25%-30% of that number.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 am

There is a net gain of 400 beds. This is IF East is also demolished. There has not been a formal request to demolish East as of yet. East was not planned originally to be used this school year but because of the robust enrollment numbers it was utilized but I don't know how many of the 300 beds in East are being used.

Here are the details:

https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... nce-halls/

These projects are quite tremendous for the university. The number one huge top reason students choose another university over AppState has been because our dorm sucked so bad in comparison to UNC Charlotte, UNC Wilmington and even WCU.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 am

Boone Goon wrote:

You’re right. We don’t have many (or any, really) traditions that I would consider unique in the way that Chief Osceola planting a spear or turning to wave at a children’s hospital are unique. Thank god the Viking clap never took off 🤮. Incorporating the tweetsie train whistle is interesting, and maybe something could be conjured up to invoke that very real local attraction that requires fan engagement late in the game to encourage fans to stick around (similar to Clemson fans “gathering at the paw” after games).

These are terrible ideas but just the first things that come to mind…imagine a post game fan conga line on the field to evoke being linked like the train cars that carried Boone area workers on the ETWNC railroad. Or having a vehicle built up like the tweetsie train engine lead the team onto the field. Also Tweetsie’s engine is #12. We could recognize a special designation for a player to wear that number like a badge of honor like how 7, 9, and 10 are special numbers for soccer players. (Again I know these are bad I’m just spitballing). Kids would love those though. All kids love trains.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:04 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:08 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

Didn't the AD already say he wanted Kidd Brewer to be the best 30,000 seat stadium in the nation...or something like that? Fits right in to what you are saying.
I mean if you want to hyper focus on a quote and put it on a sacred pedestal, go ahead I guess. But you can add all the italic font signage you want, and if the infrastructure sucks it’s still just lipstick on a pig. You’re drunk if you can’t agree that while the aerial photographs of KBS look amazing (and they do) many facets of the fan experience aren’t up to modern standards.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am

NewApp wrote:
Hasn’t that been the case for a while? I had to move off campus my junior year. I think unless you’re an athlete, in a special program, an RA, or request to live in the married dorm you have to.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am
NewApp wrote:
Hasn’t that been the case for a while? I had to move off campus my junior year. I think unless you’re an athlete, in a special program, an RA, or request to live in the married dorm you have to.
I was there from '85-'89. It was the same way then.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:15 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am
APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp wrote:
By junior year I was so ready to live off campus. It’s probably good for kids too…teaches them the responsibility of finding their own housing, paying rent on time, not being a 5 minute walk from cafeterias, budgeting their time and commuting to classes.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:18 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am
APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp wrote:
85-89 also, and was only guaranteed on campus for the first 2 years. Nothing new.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:26 am

Prior to this building project, only about 50% of second year students are able to stay on Campus.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:08 am

Question - OK, We had season tickets from 1999-2014 (I think) - we never missed a game - only been to a couple since them - We always thought the game day atmosphere was GREAT - what has happened over the last 6-7 years for some of you to feel the environment has declined? - I'm asking, not insinuating -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:56 am

Regarding the seating on west side being tight, have they been to Clemson, UGA, etc., etc. most stadiums with bench seating areas? They pack you in like sardines. I don't like it but that is definitely not unique to App and will be true for any stadium that packs in large crowds. I would like to have fold down seats like a baseball stadium (i.e. Ga State) BUT that is not going to happen and get anywhere near the capacity we pack into KBS.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:57 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:08 am
Question - OK, We had season tickets from 1999-2014 (I think) - we never missed a game - only been to a couple since them - We always thought the game day atmosphere was GREAT - what has happened over the last 6-7 years for some of you to feel the environment has declined? - I'm asking, not insinuating -
Other than losing stadium lot, it hasn't. Still great everywhere else.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:11 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:04 am
NewApp wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:08 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

I mean if you want to hyper focus on a quote and put it on a sacred pedestal, go ahead I guess. But you can add all the italic font signage you want, and if the infrastructure sucks it’s still just lipstick on a pig. You’re drunk if you can’t agree that while the aerial photographs of KBS look amazing (and they do) many facets of the fan experience aren’t up to modern standards.
Chill, big guy. I wasn't complaining or hyper focusing whatever that is. Just agreeing that I would rather have a comfortable beautiful well designed stadium of 30K than a larger tacky aluminum stadium like so many have. I most often sit on the home team's side because I like being behind the team but I do get tired of the narrow seating aisles. Been doing it for decades. Something eventually will be done about it. I got the quote from somebody on here who intimated that that is the current philosophy of the athletic admin.
Now carry on and find somebody else to pick on.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”