Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC Game

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC Game

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:35 am

bcoach wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:42 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:36 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:13 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:11 am
Rumors swirling of it being a night game. Cannot confirm or deny it though. Working to get that information.
It makes sense to have it at night.
Yup. And if it were 100% Gillin and company's decision, it would be a night game. They've been pushing for it. But there are a lot more moving pieces involved.

I know one of the relatively unknown/not thought of push backs they've received from the University and town is having enough law enforcement presence. We normally have to bring in neighboring counties/cities/towns to have enough for a regular game. Throw in UNC, and we will need significantly more. It being labor day weekend, the fear is some of these neighboring LEO's will likely have their own events scheduled.

Add in all the other stuff with ESPN, SunBelt, etc. ACC doesn't play a part in this (outside of being owned by ESPN) since we are the home team.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as "hey, lets have this game at night."
The ancillary logistics are important in consideration for sure. I guess the part that I question from a knowledge need is what’s the difference between a 3:30 and 7:00 pm kickoff in terms of staffing? The time won’t affect crowd size. Maybe more time for adults to become children through alcohol consumption. Would the need be any different than what we saw for the Luke Combs concert?
Why do people favor night games?
Maybe it's because there was a day game that may or may not have occurred 11 years ago also on September 3rd that was both unbearably hot and unbearable to watch.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Rumors swirling of it being a night game. Cannot confirm or deny it though. Working to get that information.
Yup. And if it were 100% Gillin and company's decision, it would be a night game. They've been pushing for it. But there are a lot more moving pieces involved.

I know one of the relatively unknown/not thought of push backs they've received from the University and town is having enough law enforcement presence. We normally have to bring in neighboring counties/cities/towns to have enough for a regular game. Throw in UNC, and we will need significantly more. It being labor day weekend, the fear is some of these neighboring LEO's will likely have their own events scheduled.

Add in all the other stuff with ESPN, SunBelt, etc. ACC doesn't play a part in this (outside of being owned by ESPN) since we are the home team.

The ancillary logistics are important in consideration for sure. I guess the part that I question from a knowledge need is what’s the difference between a 3:30 and 7:00 pm kickoff in terms of staffing? The time won’t affect crowd size. Maybe more time for adults to become children through alcohol consumption. Would the need be any different than what we saw for the Luke Combs concert?
Labor day events/parades are usually in evening hours. So, if the local municipalities that work with us on gamedays are already fully staffed for their respective events, they won't be able to provide enough support for us.

The difference with Luke Combs and a football games is there was agreed upon support prior to announcing the Luke Combs concert. Sure, we knew the UNC game was going to be Sept 3 for a long time, but we don't know the time yet. My understanding is municipalities have to plan well in advanced for staffing for these community holiday events. The SunBelt/ESPN doesn't allow that much time.

Also, Luke Combs happened during Covid -- a lot less community events to require law enforcement.

I am not by any means this is the reason it won't be a night game. Just stating what I have heard was push back and logistics the athletic department have to figure out. I pointed out something I thought was interesting as a reason the push back existed. On the surface, it seems like "just schedule it for night" but there is A LOT more to it.

Certainly this isn't the ONLY pushback. Just one I thought was interesting and something I assume most people without knowledge of the process wouldn't even think about. Just trying to point out there are a ton of logistics we as fans don't even think about.

Not trying to argue.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Labor day events/parades are usually in evening hours. So, if the local municipalities that work with us on gamedays are already fully staffed for their respective events, they won't be able to provide enough support for us.

The difference with Luke Combs and a football games is there was agreed upon support prior to announcing the Luke Combs concert. Sure, we knew the UNC game was going to be Sept 3 for a long time, but we don't know the time yet. My understanding is municipalities have to plan well in advanced for staffing for these community holiday events. The SunBelt/ESPN doesn't allow that much time.

Also, Luke Combs happened during Covid -- a lot less community events to require law enforcement.

I am not by any means this is the reason it won't be a night game. Just stating what I have heard was push back and logistics the athletic department have to figure out. I pointed out something I thought was interesting as a reason the push back existed. On the surface, it seems like "just schedule it for night" but there is A LOT more to it.
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:13 pm

I would like to see either a 2:00 or 3:30 game time.
Bring Your A Game!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:13 pm
A 2:00 pm start means no television other than ESPN+.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:18 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Maybe it's because there was a day game that may or may not have occurred 11 years ago also on September 3rd that was both unbearably hot and unbearable to watch.
There was no game played that day by APP State.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:30 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:18 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

There was no game played that day by APP State.
Your response makes me laugh every time. Happy Friday
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:13 pm
A 2:00 pm start means no television other than ESPN+.
I will be at the game, don’t care about tv that day.
Bring Your A Game!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:23 am

The TV thing will be interesting. I'm sill surprised that the Miami game was barely televised.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:36 am

I would think by now Gillin has his playbook for every game scenario, Saturday Day, Saturday Night, Weekday night. His playbook should include everything from concessions, stadium staffing, parking, security (private and law enforcement), etc. At this point, and as long as he has been here, there is no excuse. Does it need tweaking from time to time, yes, but the general playbook should be in writing. Every business I work with that is operating in any respectable way, for common events (something you repeat 6 times a year, year over year) you have it down to a science. This event has been on the books now for several years so there should be no surprises, we are on a Saturday and expect one of our largest crowds, BUT similar to what we have handled several times at this point. NO EXCUSES, PERIOD.

If he doesn't then shame on him.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:40 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:36 am
I would think by now Gillin has his playbook for every game scenario, Saturday Day, Saturday Night, Weekday night. His playbook should include everything from concessions, stadium staffing, parking, security (private and law enforcement), etc. At this point, and as long as he has been here, there is no excuse. Does it need tweaking from time to time, yes, but the general playbook should be in writing. Every business I work with that is operating in any respectable way, for common events (something you repeat 6 times a year, year over year) you have it down to a science. This event has been on the books now for several years so there should be no surprises, we are on a Saturday and expect one of our largest crowds, BUT similar to what we have handled several times at this point. NO EXCUSES, PERIOD.

He does have a playbook. What that playbook doesn't include is surprise changes by Sun Belt/ ESPN and new mandates from the University and town for higher than normal security.

Last I heard, the town is requiring more than double the amount of law enforcement than Luke Combs concert because of all the issues after it.
tAPPedInSports.net

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:10 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:40 am
AtlAppMan wrote:

He does have a playbook. What that playbook doesn't include is surprise changes by Sun Belt/ ESPN and new mandates from the University and town for higher than normal security.

Last I heard, the town is requiring more than double the amount of law enforcement than Luke Combs concert because of all the issues after it.
The concessions page is apparently missing or we need a different coach making those calls as I see no reason to believe this year will be any different than the last 2 non covid years.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:58 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Atmosphere would be insane at night…wouldn’t want to be wearing baby blue, if at night😂….will be 3x more hostile

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:55 pm

App has the best of everything, even our main color, BLACK, is what other teams use as their special color regardless of what their school colors are. The best part is it is hard to see black at a night game once you get out in the dark so you can sneek up on the other fans when you win after the game or disappear into the darkness if you lose.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:15 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Then you tweak it as I said in my original statement. A playbook is a living document and should be updated as needed but the base content should be solid.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:17 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:15 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Then you tweak it as I said in my original statement. A playbook is a living document and should be updated as needed but the base content should be solid.
What makes you think he's not tweaking it? I am confused what you are trying to argue here.

Bottom line -- the athletic department wants it to be a night game and are doing everything they can to make it happen. Some things are just out of their hands and there aren't any playbooks for that.
tAPPedInSports.net

GrifApp

Unread post by GrifApp » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:21 am

I'm starting to get nervous about this game based on some of the posts I've seen here and some of the comments my friends in NC have made. It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Simply put, will there be any individual tickets available for sale whenever that time comes around? Are all of the tickets going to be snatched up by the season ticket holders and UNC fans by the time we non-season ticket holders can get a shot at them? I live south of Atlanta and REALLY want to see this game, but would obviously prefer to have tickets in hand on my way to Boone than paying an outrageous amount of $$$. Arrrrrgh! I realize nobody has a crystal ball on this site, but please keep me in mind as the season draws closer! I've got no issue watching it on tv, but this game will be a history-making game. I want to experience it in person! I'm getting more and more nervous by the day

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:53 am

GrifApp wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:21 am
I'm starting to get nervous about this game based on some of the posts I've seen here and some of the comments my friends in NC have made. It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Simply put, will there be any individual tickets available for sale whenever that time comes around? Are all of the tickets going to be snatched up by the season ticket holders and UNC fans by the time we non-season ticket holders can get a shot at them? I live south of Atlanta and REALLY want to see this game, but would obviously prefer to have tickets in hand on my way to Boone than paying an outrageous amount of $$$. Arrrrrgh! I realize nobody has a crystal ball on this site, but please keep me in mind as the season draws closer! I've got no issue watching it on tv, but this game will be a history-making game. I want to experience it in person! I'm getting more and more nervous by the day
The Athletic Department has touted that they are looking for a sell-out with little to no individual tickets left for sale. UNC gets 3500 tickets plus 9000 current season ticket holders, which is likely to grow, and 8000 students. That leaves very little seats left, if any. Based on after market sales on the internet already, you are going to pay well over market value for seats. Keep in mind, we have no idea what they are going to go for through the AD. There are singles available in the NEZ but I imagine that they will be at least $250 per, if not more. So to answer your question, yes, you may be out of luck.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:05 am

Demand is and will outpace supply to the extent that it may be the highest demand college football ticket in the State's history.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Speaking of games…please don’t show EC tonight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”