Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC Game

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC Game

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:22 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:05 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:59 pm
Some of you guys and your rhetoric, whew! Are you all really afraid there will be an astronomical amount of UNC fans in KBS for this game? There will be one with me, my wife. She has been a UNC fan all her life. Her parents are UNC grads and she graduated from Meredith, so there's no athletic allegiance there, for men's sports anyway. She has been given permission by me to wear UNC gear to this game. I wore App gear in a UNC season ticket holder's seat at the game in Chapel Hill. She is also an App fan and has a wardrobe full of App gear that she gladly wears to ALL other App games. I will be silently daring anyone to step out of line toward her, or me, at this game. They will not be treated kindly. I am fully expecting this to happen because, truth be told, we have some obnoxious fans that, sadly, make me feel embarrassed to be associated with. My suggestion to App fans at this game is to step up and treat UNC fans with the welcoming grace that is befitting any true Mountaineer. That's exactly how I was treated in Chapel Hill when I was cheering loudly and proudly on that glorious September day in 2019.
I doubt you'll have much trouble. From my experience, people in real life tend to be considerably less brave and/or obnoxious about this stuff than people on the internet.
For me, its not so much the UNC fans that graduated from UNC that draw ire, it’s the other 90% of their fanbase.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:15 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:07 pm
Look, UNC fans are classless - what they did with the Coach K game was despicable but NOBODY is in the ballpark with GaSo. All we have to do is get ahead of them in the second half and they will start making their way to the exits. I 100% agree that our fans should be welcoming to our opponents fans - I remember the VT Ambassadors were really impressive -
You say that as if we have played VT in the past, which we all know we never played VT.
I went because I heard Sam Martin was going to put on a punting exhibition :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:30 am

The only risk that the UNC fans bring to Boone is buying up all the wine and cheese for their frou-frou tailgates.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:15 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Look, UNC fans are classless - what they did with the Coach K game was despicable but NOBODY is in the ballpark with GaSo. All we have to do is get ahead of them in the second half and they will start making their way to the exits. I 100% agree that our fans should be welcoming to our opponents fans - I remember the VT Ambassadors were really impressive -
You say that as if we have played VT in the past, which we all know we never played VT.
I went because I heard Sam Martin was going to put on a punting exhibition :D
Not sure where you were but you were very confused. Sam Martin played for us and we have never played VT.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:10 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
What is even worse is that the unc coaching staff did nothing to stop it. That whole place just sucks. I will do what I have done for a long time now and just ignore them.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:25 pm

Dean would never have let that happen - and I just wonder what Roy was thinking, he was sitting right there and was being honored at half??? - no other ACC team liked seeing K and Duke come to town either but every other school showed some class, some such as UVA, more than others. Like the one guy on here said earlier that his wife was a UNC fan and was going to wear her UNC gear - that is great because she is a true fan and we have to admire true fans - I have several very close friends who are UNC fans and grads - they were embarrassed ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:35 am

I don't follow UNC or Duke basketball at all. What did UNC do when Coach K came to town? I saw the Duke rolled them in Chapel Hill, so seems he got the last laugh that night.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:16 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:35 am
I don't follow UNC or Duke basketball at all. What did UNC do when Coach K came to town? I saw the Duke rolled them in Chapel Hill, so seems he got the last laugh that night.
The whole student body chanted F*** Coach K repeatedly and the school did nothing to honor him as every other school has this year

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:16 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:35 am
The whole student body chanted F*** Coach K repeatedly and the school did nothing to honor him as every other school has this year
Thanks for the background. Truly classless behavior.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:35 am

Well I will give you the short version - First, all the other teams have honored him prior the games- players, coaches and fans, specialty gifts or honors (a couple of examples - Louisville gave him Kentucky bourbon in a bottle with his likeness with Duke blue picture and lettering and wax, and other items - UVA presented him with a huge metal sculpture and the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation as Coach Bennett honored him - Syracuse had 33,000 there and they did the same and presented him an honoree scholarship in his name for a Syr student whose was in ROTC and was choosing a Military career - and others ---
Now, the holes did this - they booed him when he came out of the tunnel with various hand signals - no recognition of him whatsoever - except the chant during the game of Fuck Coach K over and over ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:46 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:35 am
Well I will give you the short version - First, all the other teams have honored him prior the games- players, coaches and fans, specialty gifts or honors (a couple of examples - Louisville gave him Kentucky bourbon in a bottle with his likeness with Duke blue picture and lettering and wax, and other items - UVA presented him with a huge metal sculpture and the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation as Coach Bennett honored him - Syracuse had 33,000 there and they did the same and presented him an honoree scholarship in his name for a Syr student whose was in ROTC and was choosing a Military career - and others ---
Now, the holes did this - they booed him when he came out of the tunnel with various hand signals - no recognition of him whatsoever - except the chant during the game of Fuck Coach K over and over ---
I expect nothing less from the tar heel faithful.

99.9% of WCU fans would have treated Coach Moore with respect if we were in a similar situation. Most people on this board who know the name Bob Waters do the same for them. Holes are a different breed of turd.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:23 pm

There are certainly a handful of coaches who simply command respect. I admire opponents who recognize that and are willing to show respect at appropriate moments. Coach K is absolutely one of those. I'm not a Saban fan and can't stand Bama, but there's no denying Saban's accomplishments and he deserves that kind of respect. Dean Smith was in that category, although somewhat tarnished with the recent scandals that date back to his tenure. The list goes on.

I've never been a fan of Duke in any sport, but Coach K is in that elite category. He has that intangible that brings all the other factors together and results in winning.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:33 pm

I want Kidd Brewer to be “hostile” for the other team, not their fans. I am hopeful all the UNC fans who come are shown nothing but a first class experience. Nothing screams Mickey Mouse more than treating visiting fans poorly.

Much of the great mutual respect we share with Montana comes directly from their visit to Boone and ours to Bozeman, as I’ve heard nothing but positive interactions from both. That’s how you build mutual respect.
YNWA

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:03 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:33 pm
I want Kidd Brewer to be “hostile” for the other team, not their fans. I am hopeful all the UNC fans who come are shown nothing but a first class experience. Nothing screams Mickey Mouse more than treating visiting fans poorly.

Much of the great mutual respect we share with Montana comes directly from their visit to Boone and ours to Bozeman, as I’ve heard nothing but positive interactions from both. That’s how you build mutual respect.
I think Montana is in Missoula. Montana State is in Bozeman. I was at two of Apps 3 games in Missoula. And the Griz fans deserve their fine reputation. It would be great to play them again!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:53 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:03 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:33 pm

I think Montana is in Missoula. Montana State is in Bozeman. I was at two of Apps 3 games in Missoula. And the Griz fans deserve their fine reputation. It would be great to play them again!!
Their fans were fantastic. We couldn't get past any of their tailgates with out eating or drinking and taking pictures.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:01 pm

I agree. Best part was we got invited to a tailgate at the Dec 2008(?) game and found the same tailgate athe game about 5 years later. Great fans.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:24 am

The difference is there is mutual respect between App and Montana. I have zero respect for UNC. And my experience with their fans when we beat them a few years ago, did nothing to change that. I hope the UNC fans enjoy their trip to Boone, but I will not be going out of my way to be cordial to any of them.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 am

Every fan base has it's jerks. UNC is no exception. If you live in NC you have friends that pull for the holes. I expect to have many in baby blue at our tailgate, and I'll be barbequing lamb chops in their honor. I won't sit with them at the game but after the game we will have our usual post-game celebratory drink with them while everyone clears the parking lots.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:50 am

I was in chapel hill for the game. I had no issues at tailgating. We mingled from our tailgate to others in the parking area. Mt tickets were provided by a professional contact through BB&T. The seats were in UNC season ticket holder section right around the 50 yard line. Sitting behind us were the twins on App. St. Basketball team. Other than that, we were in a sea of blue so to speak. We were all having fun with each other when one of the team's scored. We had no issues at the game.
With said, every fan base has jerks and so do we (App. St.).. hopefully ours are less than others.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:02 am

Any guesses on when game will start?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”