Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:41 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:46 pm
Friends of ours are quasi-App fans because their daughter is an alum. Otherwise, they’re Duke fans. They attend maybe one game per year at KBS. They’re not wealthy, but like a lot of people, they want to see the UNC game. So they plan to join the Yosef Club ($800) and purchase season tickets ($500). With the three-year pledge, they will invest $3,900 into our athletics program. That’s money we weren’t making last year.

For all the gnashing of teeth, these were much-needed changes. Sure they’re painful. But as best I can tell, we’re all impacted similarly. Hats off to our leadership for leveraging the UNC game and for taking a bold step forward.
1. The pledge is non-binding (from what we understand at this point). Most likely, it will be $1300 that the program will see.
2. We struggle to grow the Yosef Club at the minimum $50 Donation level. Does anyone really think we have a ton of new fans (especially those who are affiliated with other programs) who would invest $3900?
3. Many are saying these are needed changes? Are they really? The only needed change is to increase revenue. There are multiple ways of doing this including the old way, the new way, growing the corporate sponsorship program, etc.
4. The Peer Programs chosen were Boise, UCF. Cincinnati and Houston. All four are metro-based (could be more corporate season tickets bought). How do these schools measure up demographically (specifically by graduate income levels)
5. For those that are knocking YC members who bought more than 4 tickets at a specific giving level. Perhaps, they were buying those tickets and giving them away to friends and family members. Planting seeds for future YC members, or maybe just helping put butts in seats.
All great points.
1. The pledge is non binding but guarantees no pice increase should one occur.
2. Where do you get $3900 from? You can get a ticket for $250 and a non premium seat for $100. $350x4= $1400. Significantly less then $3900.
3. Are you suggesting that we have been sitting around for decades without trying to generate revenue? There isn’t a lot of corporate dollars floating around the Boone area.
4. I think that this is just an excuse. The majority of our alumni live in metro areas so I would imagine that incomes aren’t as low as some want to believe. Yes we graduate a great many teachers and yes, teachers are woefully underpaid. But we also have a very good accounting program that puts a good number of CPAs in the field. Hell, we have a two lawyers in this forum.
5. Fair, and thanks, but how many of those planted seeds actually grew into YC members?

The bottom line is that we need revenue to keep up. The model isn’t unfair. It’s just unfair to what many have gotten use to. Something has to change.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:55 am
Going all the way back to the old CNN/SI board, my biggest pet peeve has been that we have way too many people on this board who are way too comfortable in telling other people how they should spend their money. I don't know if this new plan is going to work or not; I hope it does; but I do know that some people are going to be forced into giving up something they love because they can no longer afford it. That's going to bring out some emotions, and I'm not going to take shots at those folks for venting a little. But then again, I'm not one of the ones who thinks I can tell other people how to spend their money.
Agree with you. People shouldn’t tell others how to spend their money. Nor, and one I have a bigger issue with, is shaming people on how they choose to spend their money. You are correct in that it will force people to give up something they love. But why does that have to be App Football? How many nights out in a restaurant a month or fast food runs or Starbucks can one cut back on to repurpose those costs into a budget for App athletics? Again, not wishing for anyone to feel shamed for their choices, but offering a potential solution.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:39 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:16 pm
ASU843 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 am
Season tickets will plummet from this decision in the high-end middle sections. When they do I will just laugh. When we have a losing season and they ask for me to dig deep because they aren't sure where the fans are....I will laugh again. Let's move all the long time fans to Miller Hill and let the stands be empty on a Dream. I will be posting a picture of section 214,215,216 each week in 2023 and 24. It will be a lot of aluminum. Maybe there will be some baby blue there for one week next year.
Words from a true and loyal fan..
Words from a realist. NASCAR used to sell 200,000 tickets. They thought they had price elasticity. They found out they don't. I am getting old and don't understand what a season ticket concept is. My thought is that it is a lower price for agreeing to buy no matter what. (Bad weather, schedule changing) and in exchange you will get a better deal on the price per ticket. I have been reeducated this week that it means I want to give money to produce wins. I enjoy AppSports win or lose. If we win..Great.
The problem with NASCAR is they got rid of the confederate flag waving fan if you think that is a problem.
That is complete BS, you obviously never followed NASCAR. Your virtuousness is now signaled though, good work.
Last edited by fjblair on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:25 am

spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Season tickets will plummet from this decision in the high-end middle sections. When they do I will just laugh. When we have a losing season and they ask for me to dig deep because they aren't sure where the fans are....I will laugh again. Let's move all the long time fans to Miller Hill and let the stands be empty on a Dream. I will be posting a picture of section 214,215,216 each week in 2023 and 24. It will be a lot of aluminum. Maybe there will be some baby blue there for one week next year.
Words from a realist. NASCAR used to sell 200,000 tickets. They thought they had price elasticity. They found out they don't. I am getting old and don't understand what a season ticket concept is. My thought is that it is a lower price for agreeing to buy no matter what. (Bad weather, schedule changing) and in exchange you will get a better deal on the price per ticket. I have been reeducated this week that it means I want to give money to produce wins. I enjoy AppSports win or lose. If we win..Great.
You are correct in your understanding to what a season ticket is. You are getting a discount for purchasing no matter what. Where you are getting disconnected is that in order to purchase the season package, you need to make a Yosef Club donation to a) purchase tickets, and b) that donation has to meet a certain threshold to purchase the number of tickets that you wish to have. It’s pretty simple. Go look at other schools ticketing policies and you will see that this is in line with what your are seeing across the landscape. Now if you want to disagree with it, fine. If you want to stick to the App doesn’t it differently and that is what makes us special, then you have an issue. Hope to see you at the Rock.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:16 am

1. We need the money
2. We have, and have had for a long time a very big communication problem coming from our athletic department. There is nothing more important in business than clear communication. The department has done an excellent job with on the field product. Off field issues just need to get cleaned up. This is a university that teaches how to do these kinds of things. We need to make the connection and move forward. We all want the same thing. We are also NOT those other schools, we are APP STATE. We need to grow our contributions while also not leaving those who have been faithful all these years behind. We can do that but the key is clear communication.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:34 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:25 am
spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
You are correct in your understanding to what a season ticket is. You are getting a discount for purchasing no matter what. Where you are getting disconnected is that in order to purchase the season package, you need to make a Yosef Club donation to a) purchase tickets, and b) that donation has to meet a certain threshold to purchase the number of tickets that you wish to have. It’s pretty simple. Go look at other schools ticketing policies and you will see that this is in line with what your are seeing across the landscape. Now if you want to disagree with it, fine. If you want to stick to the App doesn’t it differently and that is what makes us special, then you have an issue. Hope to see you at the Rock.
No, where you see it differently is you believe our competition as ucf. In my case your competition is anything I choose to spend my money on. And it won't be UCF season tickets. The other thing you see wrong is that you think you are going to close a gap of tv revenue on the back of AppFans....not going to happen. Oh yeah...I did make a decision, I dropped back to two tickets and joined the country club at a higher level. In this case Apps competition was not UCF or South Carolina, it was a country club at a higher level. God bless and good luck with the new scheme.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 am

In many ways, I understand the probem less the more I read. The per seat donation requirement doesn't seem out of line and no one seems to dispute the financial reality. It also seems that the people most impacted by this change have gotten used to maximizing the return on a minimum donation. I have two seats in 112 and I'm very happy with them. I am not close to impacted by these changes. (Now getting parking figured out will impact me.)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:45 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:34 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:25 am
spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
No, where you see it differently is you believe our competition as ucf. In my case your competition is anything I choose to spend my money on. And it won't be UCF season tickets. The other thing you see wrong is that you think you are going to close a gap of tv revenue on the back of AppFans....not going to happen. Oh yeah...I did make a decision, I dropped back to two tickets and joined the country club at a higher level. In this case Apps competition was not UCF or South Carolina, it was a country club at a higher level. God bless and good luck with the new scheme.
As you stated correctly, the competition, from a certain view, is for your entertainment dollar. The scheme as you call it, has proven to work. You don’t get rich by following poor people’s habits. If this doesn’t work, as you hope, then we can add it to the pile of things that haven’t worked for the past thirty years.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:41 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:46 pm
Friends of ours are quasi-App fans because their daughter is an alum. Otherwise, they’re Duke fans. They attend maybe one game per year at KBS. They’re not wealthy, but like a lot of people, they want to see the UNC game. So they plan to join the Yosef Club ($800) and purchase season tickets ($500). With the three-year pledge, they will invest $3,900 into our athletics program. That’s money we weren’t making last year.

For all the gnashing of teeth, these were much-needed changes. Sure they’re painful. But as best I can tell, we’re all impacted similarly. Hats off to our leadership for leveraging the UNC game and for taking a bold step forward.
1. The pledge is non-binding (from what we understand at this point). Most likely, it will be $1300 that the program will see.
2. We struggle to grow the Yosef Club at the minimum $50 Donation level. Does anyone really think we have a ton of new fans (especially those who are affiliated with other programs) who would invest $3900?
3. Many are saying these are needed changes? Are they really? The only needed change is to increase revenue. There are multiple ways of doing this including the old way, the new way, growing the corporate sponsorship program, etc.
4. The Peer Programs chosen were Boise, UCF. Cincinnati and Houston. All four are metro-based (could be more corporate season tickets bought). How do these schools measure up demographically (specifically by graduate income levels)
5. For those that are knocking YC members who bought more than 4 tickets at a specific giving level. Perhaps, they were buying those tickets and giving them away to friends and family members. Planting seeds for future YC members, or maybe just helping put butts in seats.
All great points.
1. The pledge is non binding but guarantees no pice increase should one occur.
2. Where do you get $3900 from? You can get a ticket for $250 and a non premium seat for $100. $350x4= $1400. Significantly less then $3900.
3. Are you suggesting that we have been sitting around for decades without trying to generate revenue? There isn’t a lot of corporate dollars floating around the Boone area.
4. I think that this is just an excuse. The majority of our alumni live in metro areas so I would imagine that incomes aren’t as low as some want to believe. Yes we graduate a great many teachers and yes, teachers are woefully underpaid. But we also have a very good accounting program that puts a good number of CPAs in the field. Hell, we have a two lawyers in this forum.
5. Fair, and thanks, but how many of those planted seeds actually grew into YC members?

The bottom line is that we need revenue to keep up. The model isn’t unfair. It’s just unfair to what many have gotten use to. Something has to change.
2. The $3900 came from the original post
3. I do think that we have not done a good job of marketing the program regionally. We should be looking at regional and national sponsors. (Look at what the Nike contract did with our uniforms). NC based Banks, NC based Fortune 500 companies, etc. Columbia, North Face, outdoors brands, etc. We have a brand, we have attendance, and we provide exposure. We have to think outside of the box and upgrade our sponsors.
4. Good points, but I'd like to see the study. I'd like to know what percentage are corporate season ticket accounts vs. individual. Also, two lawyers doesn't match medical school at Cincinnati, (or even ECU), or an undergraduate enrollment of 39,000 at Houston. (by the way, according to US News and World report we are only at 8% of graduates going into education)
5. The two YC members in my group is getting ready to become three. There is a potential to add a 4th this season. And, possibly even a Young Alumnus, who is attending more games now, then she did when she was in school.

You are correct that the program is fair. We just added an end zone facility that increased revenue for many members who were looking for a new experience. I think there will be a quite a few YC members who will either cut back on the number of seats that they buy, or downgrade their seats to continue buying the same amount. We'll see how it goes.

For the record, UCF is pitching the same message: (They do have a waiting list of 1500 for season tickets)

2021 Season Tickets (includes Season Tickets with $0, and tremendously low prices and great seats for Young Alumni)
https://ucfknights.com/documents/2021/2 ... f?id=21982

2022 Renewals: https://ucfknights.exposure.co/2022-ucf ... l-renewals

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:07 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve seen references to the “waiting list.” Am I too understand that we have one?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:15 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 am
In many ways, I understand the probem less the more I read. The per seat donation requirement doesn't seem out of line and no one seems to dispute the financial reality. It also seems that the people most impacted by this change have gotten used to maximizing the return on a minimum donation. I have two seats in 112 and I'm very happy with them. I am not close to impacted by these changes. (Now getting parking figured out will impact me.)
You are correct...the new scheme will have little affect on one or two tickets and probably their parking. It will have a huge affect on families.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:37 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:15 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
You are correct...the new scheme will have little affect on one or two tickets and probably their parking. It will have a huge affect on families.
You seem to only be thinking about this from your perspective. You're reservering six tickets for a $500 donation. I'm doing the same thing for two tickets (but I donate a fair bit more). The University has a responsibility to maximize what they can get per seat and not "make" people like me feel like chumps for donating more than the minimum. I have absolutely no idea what the demand for tickets in 204 is, but I assume the Athletic Department does.

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:07 pm
Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve seen references to the “waiting list.” Am I too understand that we have one?
From the MAF webpage:

The season-ticket and parking lot wait list currently sits at more than 200 requests.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:47 pm

AppBox wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
From the MAF webpage:

The season-ticket and parking lot wait list currently sits at more than 200 requests.
Thanks. I wonder what that means. Maybe the current requests for new tickets this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:09 pm

AppBox wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
From the MAF webpage:

So these are new requests for 2022. They can’t be fully processed until renewals are done.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 pm

I wonder what the impact to parking will be. Many have posted the expected impact on families who have 4, 5, or 6 seats. Most of those seats are people riding in one vehicle. IF the original Yosef Club member drops their # of seats down to only 2 seats due to the cost, and the other four are sold (2 each) to 2 additional Yosef Club members...those same 6 seats would then require 3 parking spaces instead of the original 1.

Just another thought for folks to chew on.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:29 pm

Or people that are riding in the car can contribute to YC and keep seats and you only need 1 space

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:38 pm

I would think the waiting list is driven by desire for parking.
Bring Your A Game!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 pm
I wonder what the impact to parking will be. Many have posted the expected impact on families who have 4, 5, or 6 seats. Most of those seats are people riding in one vehicle. IF the original Yosef Club member drops their # of seats down to only 2 seats due to the cost, and the other four are sold (2 each) to 2 additional Yosef Club members...those same 6 seats would then require 3 parking spaces instead of the original 1.

Just another thought for folks to chew on.
Those seats are not going to be picked up by anyone on most games...maybe the one true sellout we have...this year the carolina game.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:21 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:37 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:15 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
You seem to only be thinking about this from your perspective. You're reservering six tickets for a $500 donation. I'm doing the same thing for two tickets (but I donate a fair bit more). The University has a responsibility to maximize what they can get per seat and not "make" people like me feel like chumps for donating more than the minimum. I have absolutely no idea what the demand for tickets in 204 is, but I assume the Athletic Department does.
I’ve been in 204 for a long time and I saw seats around me change hands and be open as single game tickets all the time. I find it very hard to believe we have a waiting list for season tickets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”