Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:13 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:06 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:26 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:19 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:52 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:42 pm

It's not out of DG's hands. He just knows he's hired people that have more experience than him in this stuff. He agrees it should have been a slower transition, but also knows he pays people that know more than him in this realm so he's taking their suggestion(s) (mainly Ransdell).

Again, I don't think anybody is complaining about the increase. The complaints I have heard and have shared are about the suddenness of said increases.

I hope I am wrong as can be, but I fully expect a huge plummet in membership and season ticket holders in 2023.
He is the AD. There should not be people who know more about this than him.
And good leaders know enough to know they may not know enough. Gillin is putting the people he hired to do a job to do their job. That is what they are paid to do, he is going to trust their decisions.

Just because he is the AD doesn't mean others won't have more knowledge on growing a booster club.
I have to respectfully but very strongly disagree. He is not the CEO of a fortune 500 company. Income is his every day number one responsibility. He should be VERY heavily involved in the development of the booster club and ticket sales. If this goes poorly just who do you feel will be responsible.
Who said he's not heavily involved? Who said the blame goes to someone else?

Just because he disagrees with certain aspects of it doesn't mean he doesn't still sign off on it knowing that's what he's hired these folks to do.

You can read in to it how you want, but the bottom line is Gillin had the same thoughts most fans have -- "wow, that came suddenly. It's the right move, but doing it without any warning is a hindrance for many!" However, knowing he's hired people to do this exact thing and their suggestion was to start it now, he went along with it because that is their expertise!

Do you think Steve Jobs agreed to every marketing campaign Apple did? Probably not because technology was Mr. Jobs strong suit. He hired marketing folks to handle it, and signed off on it knowing they had more knowledge in that area.
Comparing to Steve Jobs is proof you are not grasping what the real situation is. That's ok and I am not here to argue with you. GO APP

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:20 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:13 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:52 pm

He is the AD. There should not be people who know more about this than him.
And good leaders know enough to know they may not know enough. Gillin is putting the people he hired to do a job to do their job. That is what they are paid to do, he is going to trust their decisions.

Just because he is the AD doesn't mean others won't have more knowledge on growing a booster club.
I have to respectfully but very strongly disagree. He is not the CEO of a fortune 500 company. Income is his every day number one responsibility. He should be VERY heavily involved in the development of the booster club and ticket sales. If this goes poorly just who do you feel will be responsible.

Just because he disagrees with certain aspects of it doesn't mean he doesn't still sign off on it knowing that's what he's hired these folks to do.

You can read in to it how you want, but the bottom line is Gillin had the same thoughts most fans have -- "wow, that came suddenly. It's the right move, but doing it without any warning is a hindrance for many!" However, knowing he's hired people to do this exact thing and their suggestion was to start it now, he went along with it because that is their expertise!

Do you think Steve Jobs agreed to every marketing campaign Apple did? Probably not because technology was Mr. Jobs strong suit. He hired marketing folks to handle it, and signed off on it knowing they had more knowledge in that area.
Comparing to Steve Jobs is proof you are not grasping what the real situation is. That's ok and I am not here to argue with you. GO APP
Well it came from Gillins mouth, so I guess you're suggesting he doesn't understand the real situation either?

The comparison to Jobs is to show not every leader is going to agree with everything that is done in their organization. Every leader has a specialty and they hire people to help in areas they aren't the strongest in.

Gillins happens to be leadership, fundraising, and relationships. Randsells happens to be booster club management/organization. Randsell was hired to blow up the old structure and start producing higher dollar amounts. Just because Gillin did not agree with the timeline, does not mean he doesn't agree to let Randsell do his job and approve the approach. Again, Gillin knows Randsell knows more about this than Gillin does so he's empowering his employee to do what he was hired to do.

It seems you're not understanding what I am putting down.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:26 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:20 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:13 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Well it came from Gillins mouth, so I guess you're suggesting he doesn't understand the real situation either?

The comparison to Jobs is to show not every leader is going to agree with everything that is done in their organization. Every leader has a specialty and they hire people to help in areas they aren't the strongest in.

Gillins happens to be leadership, fundraising, and relationships. Randsells happens to be booster club management/organization. Randsell was hired to blow up the old structure and start producing higher dollar amounts. Just because Gillin did not agree with the timeline, does not mean he doesn't agree to let Randsell do his job and approve the approach. Again, Gillin knows Randsell knows more about this than Gillin does so he's empowering his employee to do what he was hired to do.

It seems you're not understanding what I am putting down.
Bottom line is this needed to happen. Personally I think the timeline is fine. If alumni/fans don't get behind it APP athletics will suffer.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:49 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 am
Season tickets will plummet from this decision in the high-end middle sections. When they do I will just laugh. When we have a losing season and they ask for me to dig deep because they aren't sure where the fans are....I will laugh again. Let's move all the long time fans to Miller Hill and let the stands be empty on a Dream. I will be posting a picture of section 214,215,216 each week in 2023 and 24. It will be a lot of aluminum. Maybe there will be some baby blue there for one week next year.
I get your frustration but your rooting for failure so that you can feel validated is a bit much.
wrong sections. 212,213,214.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Ya know, I say step back, take a breath and learn a bit more about it. There are numerous zoom meeting opportunities coming up. Sit, listen to how this process unfolded, and how this plan was developed. Then, based on that information, ask informed questions and make informed decisions and comments about these adjustments.

I think, in the end, most will agree, while some rough edges, this is a pretty good plan overall. Athletics just didn't stumble into this. In-depth market analysis and research was done and a plan developed based on that research. I would doubt the consultants are fools at what they do. Can, and will, adjustments be made? I'd imagine that's possible. But, folks, a plan and starting point was needed.

In the world of college football at the FBS level, we are newbies; like it or not. We don't have a ton of past FBS level success / experience with our booster club operations in YC / MAF. But, we are trying; and that's more than some.

I can't speak for others... but, I'm not willing to run for the door every time some form of change is introduced. I'm not willing to, nor will I EVER, root for failure with trying to develop a new path towards FULL funding of our athletics programs and continued success. My loyalty doesn't hide when some new concept may not be to my initial liking.

I think the great David Jackson quote of, "Give a Mountaineer a chance".. is applicable.

-WXAPP
Last edited by WXAPP on Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @wxcrum

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:09 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:13 pm
TheMoody1 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:52 pm
I know this new system is going to cost most everyone more money, but computing the donation amounts on a per seat basis seems to be the fairest way.

The old system is sort of like my company sponsored health care plan. Whether you have one child or six the cost is the same. As someone who has one child, I never thought that was fair.
That is an excellent correlation.
So based on your fairest way. Can I go to someone else's seat and out bid them now to get back my seat?
I’m not following your question. The seat(s) that you had last year are yours if you want to purchase them. If the cost in donation is too steep to continue purchasing those seats, you have three options. 1) up your donation, 2) find seats somewhere else that fits within your budget, or 3) stay home and watch on television. Whatever your decision may be is solely yours. Go App!

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Season tickets will plummet from this decision in the high-end middle sections. When they do I will just laugh. When we have a losing season and they ask for me to dig deep because they aren't sure where the fans are....I will laugh again. Let's move all the long time fans to Miller Hill and let the stands be empty on a Dream. I will be posting a picture of section 214,215,216 each week in 2023 and 24. It will be a lot of aluminum. Maybe there will be some baby blue there for one week next year.
Words from a true and loyal fan..

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:16 pm

ASU843 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Words from a realist. NASCAR used to sell 200,000 tickets. They thought they had price elasticity. They found out they don't. I am getting old and don't understand what a season ticket concept is. My thought is that it is a lower price for agreeing to buy no matter what. (Bad weather, schedule changing) and in exchange you will get a better deal on the price per ticket. I have been reeducated this week that it means I want to give money to produce wins. I enjoy AppSports win or lose. If we win..Great.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:37 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
I get your frustration but your rooting for failure so that you can feel validated is a bit much.
Nobody is rooting for failure...I am predicting empty sections of the best seats. The only reason we don't have empty aluminum now is because students wonder their way up illegally because they don't have a place to sit.

As a comparison to South Carolina season tickets...They actually have a seat with a back and arms. We have 18 inches of aluminum that you have to fight over where your seat begins and ends.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:39 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:16 pm
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Words from a realist. NASCAR used to sell 200,000 tickets. They thought they had price elasticity. They found out they don't. I am getting old and don't understand what a season ticket concept is. My thought is that it is a lower price for agreeing to buy no matter what. (Bad weather, schedule changing) and in exchange you will get a better deal on the price per ticket. I have been reeducated this week that it means I want to give money to produce wins. I enjoy AppSports win or lose. If we win..Great.
The problem with NASCAR is they got rid of the confederate flag waving fan if you think that is a problem.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
If you were to forego season tickets this year and bought a single ticket to each this season, it would cost you close to $400. So buying season tickets at $250 is a bargain.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:45 pm

WXAPP wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm
Ya know, I say step back, take a breath and learn a bit more about it. There are numerous zoom meeting opportunities coming up. Sit, listen to how this process unfolded, and how this plan was developed. Then, based on that information, ask informed questions and make informed decisions and comments about these adjustments.

I think, in the end, most will agree, while some rough edges, this is a pretty good plan overall. Athletics just didn't stumble into this. In-depth market analysis and research was done and a plan developed based on that research. I would doubt the consultants are fools at what they do. Can, and will, adjustments be made? I'd imagine that's possible. But, folks, a plan and starting point was needed.

In the world of college football at the FBS level, we are newbies; like it or not. We don't have a ton of past FBS level success / experience with our booster club operations in YC / MAF. But, we are trying; and that's more than some.

I can't speak for others... but, I'm not willing to run for the door every time some form of change is introduced. I'm not willing to, nor will I EVER, root for failure with trying to develop a new path towards FULL funding of our athletics programs and continued success. My loyalty doesn't hide when some new concept may not be to my initial liking.

I think the great David Jackson quote of, "Give a Mountaineer a chance".. is applicable.

-WXAPP
Thank yo for not being a “fair weather” App Fan! (See what I did there?)

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:04 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:37 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Nobody is rooting for failure...I am predicting empty sections of the best seats. The only reason we don't have empty aluminum now is because students wonder their way up illegally because they don't have a place to sit.

As a comparison to South Carolina season tickets...They actually have a seat with a back and arms. We have 18 inches of aluminum that you have to fight over where your seat begins and ends.
Again you are missing the big picture. Athletic departments are big business and need lots of money to be competitive. When realignment happens to (super conferences) and its going to within the next 10 years. APP is going to need LOTS of $$$ to get a seat at the table. They are going to need well rounded athletics. No conference wants just a football team. If not as I stated before they are going to take a step backwards. And again YOU don't know how lucky fans have it here at APP. Great product at a cheap price so keep complaining about your 18in seats. See you at KBS...or probably not by the sound of it.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
If you were to forego season tickets this year and bought a single ticket to each this season, it would cost you close to $400. So buying season tickets at $250 is a bargain.
I won't be paying $250. I will be paying $650 for the 2023 season.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:49 pm

I would like to see the numbers from 2021 and the numbers for 2023 if everyone kept their seats and and parking the same. Also what is projected for 2023

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:00 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:46 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
ASU843 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
I won't be paying $250. I will be paying $650 for the 2023 season.
Still a bargain. Thank you for your support.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:46 pm

Friends of ours are quasi-App fans because their daughter is an alum. Otherwise, they’re Duke fans. They attend maybe one game per year at KBS. They’re not wealthy, but like a lot of people, they want to see the UNC game. So they plan to join the Yosef Club ($800) and purchase season tickets ($500). With the three-year pledge, they will invest $3,900 into our athletics program. That’s money we weren’t making last year.

For all the gnashing of teeth, these were much-needed changes. Sure they’re painful. But as best I can tell, we’re all impacted similarly. Hats off to our leadership for leveraging the UNC game and for taking a bold step forward.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:47 pm

If I keep my same seats and parking this year, my package goes up 32%. That’s tough when you are retired. I really don’t like ending the Sr. Citizen pricing. As others have said, I will make a choice that is right for me and my budget.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:46 pm
Friends of ours are quasi-App fans because their daughter is an alum. Otherwise, they’re Duke fans. They attend maybe one game per year at KBS. They’re not wealthy, but like a lot of people, they want to see the UNC game. So they plan to join the Yosef Club ($800) and purchase season tickets ($500). With the three-year pledge, they will invest $3,900 into our athletics program. That’s money we weren’t making last year.

For all the gnashing of teeth, these were much-needed changes. Sure they’re painful. But as best I can tell, we’re all impacted similarly. Hats off to our leadership for leveraging the UNC game and for taking a bold step forward.
1. The pledge is non-binding (from what we understand at this point). Most likely, it will be $1300 that the program will see.
2. We struggle to grow the Yosef Club at the minimum $50 Donation level. Does anyone really think we have a ton of new fans (especially those who are affiliated with other programs) who would invest $3900?
3. Many are saying these are needed changes? Are they really? The only needed change is to increase revenue. There are multiple ways of doing this including the old way, the new way, growing the corporate sponsorship program, etc.
4. The Peer Programs chosen were Boise, UCF. Cincinnati and Houston. All four are metro-based (could be more corporate season tickets bought). How do these schools measure up demographically (specifically by graduate income levels)
5. For those that are knocking YC members who bought more than 4 tickets at a specific giving level. Perhaps, they were buying those tickets and giving them away to friends and family members. Planting seeds for future YC members, or maybe just helping put butts in seats.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:55 am

Going all the way back to the old CNN/SI board, my biggest pet peeve has been that we have way too many people on this board who are way too comfortable in telling other people how they should spend their money. I don't know if this new plan is going to work or not; I hope it does; but I do know that some people are going to be forced into giving up something they love because they can no longer afford it. That's going to bring out some emotions, and I'm not going to take shots at those folks for venting a little. But then again, I'm not one of the ones who thinks I can tell other people how to spend their money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”