Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Random thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Random thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:55 am

Random Thoughts:

I would like to see Marshall and Georgia Southern alternate years at home. I like Georgia Southern on Thanksgiving and rivalry weekend.

If I were the SUNBELT...I would try to get all of the Georgia State games on dates when Georgia plays away games. Someone is going to say "No one in Atlanta cares about Georgia St" I think the SunBelt could build Georgia St. to be a well thought of program.

I hope we continue to have 6 home games. I hope we limit it to one weeknight.

JMU, Marshall, ODU and Southern Miss are going to get better fast with ESPN exposure. (Unfortunately...Probably UNCC as well).

I am on the fence about 3 game packages, but I think we should explore it...with Parking. Make the price a little higher, but I think people would pay up for Parking on the 3 game package and they should have to join Yosef. I would price it higher than Season Tickets but lower than single tickets.

We need a family section and sell an immediate family group ticket. Basically buy 3 tickets and you get the rest of your immediate family in for free. (I would absolutely make this available for Basketball games) If it is going to be a sellout, you could limit this type of ticket for that game. For Football games, I would park these folks in one lot together and bus to game. Maybe old Watauga Highschool. Kids would enjoy the bus ride. It is tough for a family of 6 to afford six tickets. If you add a hot dog and drink, families will jump on this. Make it a packet.

AppSt94

Re: Random thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:02 pm

I would like to see Marshall and Georgia Southern alternate years at home. I like Georgia Southern on Thanksgiving and rivalry weekend.

Agree and I would take it a step further. Marshall should be paired with either Coastal (preferably) or JMU and Southern with the other.

If I were the SUNBELT...I would try to get all of the Georgia State games on dates when Georgia plays away games. Someone is going to say "No one in Atlanta cares about Georgia St" I think the SunBelt could build Georgia St. to be a well thought of program.

I don’t see this as a Sun Belt Head Office issue. Most of the schools in the Belt have similar issues and they can’t be responsible for helping them all.

I hope we continue to have 6 home games. I hope we limit it to one weeknight.

Six home games won’t be an issue. However, App has little to no say about weeknight games. The brand and our success make us attractive. Sadly, our success at the turnstile this year will only make it more difficult to avoid them.

JMU, Marshall, ODU and Southern Miss are going to get better fast with ESPN exposure. (Unfortunately...Probably UNCC as well).

Agree

I am on the fence about 3 game packages, but I think we should explore it...with Parking. Make the price a little higher, but I think people would pay up for Parking on the 3 game package and they should have to join Yosef. I would price it higher than Season Tickets but lower than single tickets.

DG does not like them for whatever reason. This years increased ticket sales and attendance record did little in hopes of convincing him to try them.

We need a family section and sell an immediate family group ticket. Basically buy 3 tickets and you get the rest of your immediate family in for free. (I would absolutely make this available for Basketball games) If it is going to be a sellout, you could limit this type of ticket for that game. For Football games, I would park these folks in one lot together and bus to game. Maybe old Watauga Highschool. Kids would enjoy the bus ride. It is tough for a family of 6 to afford six tickets. If you add a hot dog and drink, families will jump on this. Make it a packet.

I understand your point, but I don’t see this happening for a few reasons. 1) where do you put them, 2) is there a model in place that we can follow to test viability, and 3) is there a market for this? It’s an interesting concept, for basketball for sure. I just can’t see it working for football.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 pm

With two VA teams and two GA teams, ideally we would have home and one away each year.

I suspect Marshall and Ga Southern first and then Coastal and JMU next to become the four biggest attendance draws, so it would be best to have two of those four at home each year.

Maybe something like first year Marshall, JMU, Ga State at home with Ga Southern, ODU, Coastal away and so on.

I think I heard the SBC will have to do some fidgeting with the rotation to get everything going, so teams will not necessarily be on the same rotation with this year - Coastal could be back in Boone next year for example - or Marshall as in my example above.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:45 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:55 am
My wife is a VCU grad, and a couple of weeks ago, she was really irritated because she wanted to watch the VCU-ODU basketball game. That is a big rivalry game for both schools dating back to their time together in first the old Sun Belt and then the CAA. It is often aired on the ESPN family of networks when played in Richmond as the A-10 in an ESPN conference for basketball at least. The problem was it was in Norfolk and therefore rights were controlled by the CUSA and not aired anywhere that we could find

And I said to her "And that right there is why ODU is moving to the Sun Belt!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”