2022 App State Coaching Updates

Stonewall
Posts: 3037
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1650 times
Been thanked: 1339 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:29 pm

The aforementioned shuffling to bring in a seasoned OL coach is interesting. Acitelli was at LSU last I heard but I have no idea as to his qualifications. He was a heck of a player.Clark has to figure it out .I think he did well with Frank so that gives me hope.The Sunbelt is getting better , we need to do the same.

EastHallApp
Posts: 6339
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2893 times
Been thanked: 2549 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:53 pm

fjblair wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm
Look - and this is my opinion - throw out any discussions of the WKU game when talking about our 2021 season as a whole. That's about the only game I can remember in my time as an APP fan (winning seasons) that our guys just "weren't there". It happens to the very best of teams in a "meaningless" bowl game - we had won 7 in a row, it was going to happen eventually -
So why is it okay to "throw out" our performance in the game against one of the best teams on our schedule in 2021? There is no question that WKU was absolutely the best bowl opponent we have faced since moving to FBS yet you are perfectly willing to disregard our performance in that game. How does that reconcile with us wanting to be the best program we can? I don't care how many straight bowl games we have won. Those are all in the past and didn't have any influence on this game.
I would disagree that WKU was our best bowl opponent - they were a 5 loss CUSA runner-up, after all. Otherwise, agree with you.
That's a bit misleading, I think they finished the season 8-0 or something. They were a different team by the end of the year.
Fair, most of their losses were early on, and they ended the regular season on a roll. But they still ended by losing to UTSA for the 2nd time.

Any way you slice it, they were the 2nd best team in one of the two worst conferences in the country.

User avatar
AppYosef!
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:30 pm
ASUchipman wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:41 am
Mario Aciteli is available. He has experience.
He was my first thought too, but I was a little surprised to see that he's apparently never coached OL.
According to Mario Acitelli's twitter feed he just accepted the O-Line Coaching job at William & Mary.
https://twitter.com/coachacitelli

Apple@chin1
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl.
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm
appst1992 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:43 pm
If not WKU, who would you say IS our best bowl opponent? In my eyes, they were definitely the best bowl opponent we've faced.
They had the best QB that we faced for sure.
Most people don't realize that Bailey Zappe and 4 of his top receivers from Houston Baptist University (FCS) transferred to WKU after the 2020 season. That season, they played only 4 games. All against FBS competition, and put up insane numbers and almost beating Texas Tech in Lubbock. Looking at strictly numbers, he may be the best qb we've ever faced. I was scared of this matchup when it was announced. He will most likely be playing on Sunday's.

https://wkusports.com/sports/football/r ... zappe/3897

https://hbuhuskies.com/sports/football/stats/2020

AppSt94
Posts: 6172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, NC
Has thanked: 3552 times
Been thanked: 2005 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm
appst1992 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:43 pm
If not WKU, who would you say IS our best bowl opponent? In my eyes, they were definitely the best bowl opponent we've faced.
They had the best QB that we faced for sure.
Most people don't realize that Bailey Zappe and 4 of his top receivers from Houston Baptist University (FCS) transferred to WKU after the 2020 season. That season, they played only 4 games. All against FBS competition, and put up insane numbers and almost beating Texas Tech in Lubbock. Looking at strictly numbers, he may be the best qb we've ever faced. I was scared of this matchup when it was announced. He will most likely be playing on Sunday's.

https://wkusports.com/sports/football/r ... zappe/3897

https://hbuhuskies.com/sports/football/stats/2020
I was on the shuttle from the rental car place to the airport with WKUs recruiting coordinator. He was telling me how special Zappee was. He told me as good as his talent is, he was smarter. Zappee got the ball out of his hands in 2.3 seconds. He was quick with his decision making and execution and they ran at a break neck speed.

User avatar
Bootsy
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 pm

It will be interesting to watch Zappe's draft stock over the next few months.

He looked as good as nearly any QB I saw play this past season. This draft class isn't stocked with QB's, so he could move up.
Just another Gold Room/Carousel of Death Survivor

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm

So the way I analyze who was the best bowl opponent we have played I ask myself, if they played each other who would win. From what I saw in our game against WKU, they would have beaten every other bowl opponent we have faced, by a wide margin. IMO or course. Toledo would not have come close to beating the WKU we played.

WASU 93
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 417 times
Been thanked: 514 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm
So the way I analyze who was the best bowl opponent we have played I ask myself, if they played each other who would win. From what I saw in our game against WKU, they would have beaten every other bowl opponent we have faced, by a wide margin. IMO or course. Toledo would not have come close to beating the WKU we played.
That's a solid way of looking at it.

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:20 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm
Look - and this is my opinion - throw out any discussions of the WKU game when talking about our 2021 season as a whole. That's about the only game I can remember in my time as an APP fan (winning seasons) that our guys just "weren't there". It happens to the very best of teams in a "meaningless" bowl game - we had won 7 in a row, it was going to happen eventually -
So why is it okay to "throw out" our performance in the game against one of the best teams on our schedule in 2021? There is no question that WKU was absolutely the best bowl opponent we have faced since moving to FBS yet you are perfectly willing to disregard our performance in that game. How does that reconcile with us wanting to be the best program we can? I don't care how many straight bowl games we have won. Those are all in the past and didn't have any influence on this game.
Do you live in a dream world? - get back into the real world - just because you want something to be the "very best" or to have everything perfectly play out to YOUR aspirations just don't jive with how many of see the real world -
I meant to answer this one earlier but did not have time. I have to reply as this is an extremely important point regarding how our coaches, players and fans approach their respective roles with this program.

Your response seems to totally disregard my point. I have seen numerous people give speeches/presentations on personal/team achievement due to my job. I have seen fighter pilots, female formula one drivers, coaches, leaders of top performing companies and the common theme that all of them exhibit is to push your limits of what you think is possible. They all say, no one achieves greatness by settling for mediocrity. I am not saying one always or ever achieves everything you set your goals for but I can assure you that if you do NOT set them at high levels you will never reach high levels. The best players and coaches continually PUSH beyond what others believe is possible. This is not only their goals but their drive and preparation exceeds all others. Those same leaders flat out said, "If you are not a top performer, meaning you exhaustively prep, push yourself and have high expectations, I don't want you on my team". They do not apologize for that opinion. I think most of our players are perfect examples that they achieve more than most people think they can, BECAUSE their goals were set very high and they commit to excessive preparation. There is nothing wrong with that mentality. That is also why only a FEW achieve greatness and so MANY are just "the real world". So I don't accept what others say is acceptable because I want to achieve greatness with our program.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 11102
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3133 times
Been thanked: 1676 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:22 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:20 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm
Look - and this is my opinion - throw out any discussions of the WKU game when talking about our 2021 season as a whole. That's about the only game I can remember in my time as an APP fan (winning seasons) that our guys just "weren't there". It happens to the very best of teams in a "meaningless" bowl game - we had won 7 in a row, it was going to happen eventually -
So why is it okay to "throw out" our performance in the game against one of the best teams on our schedule in 2021? There is no question that WKU was absolutely the best bowl opponent we have faced since moving to FBS yet you are perfectly willing to disregard our performance in that game. How does that reconcile with us wanting to be the best program we can? I don't care how many straight bowl games we have won. Those are all in the past and didn't have any influence on this game.
Do you live in a dream world? - get back into the real world - just because you want something to be the "very best" or to have everything perfectly play out to YOUR aspirations just don't jive with how many of see the real world -
I meant to answer this one earlier but did not have time. I have to reply as this is an extremely important point regarding how our coaches, players and fans approach their respective roles with this program.

Your response seems to totally disregard my point. I have seen numerous people give speeches/presentations on personal/team achievement due to my job. I have seen fighter pilots, female formula one drivers, coaches, leaders of top performing companies and the common theme that all of them exhibit is to push your limits of what you think is possible. They all say, no one achieves greatness by settling for mediocrity. I am not saying one always or ever achieves everything you set your goals for but I can assure you that if you do NOT set them at high levels you will never reach high levels. The best players and coaches continually PUSH beyond what others believe is possible. This is not only their goals but their drive and preparation exceeds all others. Those same leaders flat out said, "If you are not a top performer, meaning you exhaustively prep, push yourself and have high expectations, I don't want you on my team". They do not apologize for that opinion. I think most of our players are perfect examples that they achieve more than most people think they can, BECAUSE their goals were set very high and they commit to excessive preparation. There is nothing wrong with that mentality. That is also why only a FEW achieve greatness and so MANY are just "the real world". So I don't accept what others say is acceptable because I want to achieve greatness with our program.
Well I have no problem with anything you just said - possibly I didn't phrase my words properly. There are several points here which I would like to address - 1. the only "gambling" I do is a college football pool which I have done for close to 40 years - (no odds, just pick winners). The first thing I look for as I go thru the games is "Who doesn't want to be here?" -there are some every year and really has little to do with the program and their hard work and their commitment, etc., to some at some point a "Lesser" bowl game is an exhibition - I have NEVER thought that about APP including this season's bowl - But that is what it was - Can you tell me that APP went into that game with the fire and intensity as they did against Coastal? It has even happened to Coach Saban and Alabama after losing the Iron Bowl and #1 ranking in 2013 and proceeded to get their butts kicked by Oklahoma in a bowl game - I did say right up front - that this was my opinion about that one game.
It happens --- did I think it would happen to APP this past bowl season - HELL NO and I was somewhat shocked.
2. I have lived the life of a coach - absolutely not on the level that these college guys, not anywhere close in any way. My teams won High School conference championships and played in State Tourneys - I have won several Coach of the Year awards - I have had guys win awards and go forward and play at higher levels - HOWEVER, I am also the coach who has blown a game (or 2) with bad decisions, played guys out of position, lost my cool, didn't listen to others when I should have, didn't take an opponent as seriously as I should, I could go on but I do believe you get the gist ---
I say all of this to point out that NOT ONCE as a player or coach did I ever enter the field of play with any intentions of anything but WINNING - Was I always successful - HELL NO, upon reflection I realized that some times it was me, sometimes we were just playing a better team, sometimes a better coached team, sometimes things that happened were totally out of my control - therefore, my comment of "get in the real world" - things happen
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 11102
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3133 times
Been thanked: 1676 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm

And AppGrad78 can vouch for me on most all of the above ;) :)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CoachRob
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:33 pm

Back to looking at offensive position coaches:

I think the OL discussion is very interesting. It seemed our OL play was very good this year, but don't think it was great. For example, I'd grade this years OL 7-8 out of 10, compared to 9-10 in the 12 win championship years. Granted, not much of a difference, good enough to get us 10 wins, but enough of a difference to be Conference runner up. So why is that? Is that on the OL Coach? or OC?
Personally, I feel we have lost some NFL level talent over the past several years, and put this years OL together with a JuCo, FCS transfer, & DL moved to TE moved to G moved to C and I think we just weren't as good or up to par with our previous OL groups that were so dominate. Was this year's OL a good group? Absolutely, and the stats help back that up. Were they as good as previous years when we celebrated championships at the end of the year? I don't think so.

So question I'm looking at when it comes to end of 2021 and new coaches, was 2021 disappointment because of Xs & Os, or the Johnny's & Joe's? I disagree with the post Boca Bowl twitter onslaught that 2021 was totally an Xs & Os issue. Can the coaches get better? Absolutely. But I think we can also use a little bit more talent, or maybe more continuity, especially when it comes to the trenches.

AppStFan1
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:01 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:33 pm
Back to looking at offensive position coaches:

I think the OL discussion is very interesting. It seemed our OL play was very good this year, but don't think it was great. For example, I'd grade this years OL 7-8 out of 10, compared to 9-10 in the 12 win championship years. Granted, not much of a difference, good enough to get us 10 wins, but enough of a difference to be Conference runner up. So why is that? Is that on the OL Coach? or OC?
Personally, I feel we have lost some NFL level talent over the past several years, and put this years OL together with a JuCo, FCS transfer, & DL moved to TE moved to G moved to C and I think we just weren't as good or up to par with our previous OL groups that were so dominate. Was this year's OL a good group? Absolutely, and the stats help back that up. Were they as good as previous years when we celebrated championships at the end of the year? I don't think so.

So question I'm looking at when it comes to end of 2021 and new coaches, was 2021 disappointment because of Xs & Os, or the Johnny's & Joe's? I disagree with the post Boca Bowl twitter onslaught that 2021 was totally an Xs & Os issue. Can the coaches get better? Absolutely. But I think we can also use a little bit more talent, or maybe more continuity, especially when it comes to the trenches.
I bolded the part I will comment on. When you lose the title game and a bowl game it is 100% fair to be disappointed and anyone who is not just does not hate to lose. I think our issues are a mixture.

1. Coaching needs to improve but we have some young guys and so we need to see how they develop. One issue we will always have is that great coaches will get poached because we don't pay enough. We have to give more to the YC for sure.

2. I think the OL was down a little bit and that was due to a lot of change and some misses in the group. RG and C saw new bodies and we were definitely down in talent on the left side.

3. I know there is an argument on 247 about if we regressed, which I can see both sides. Some say it is because we did not win the title while the other side wants evidence of where we have regressed. I think OL and DL play has regressed some from the title years. I still don't think we have had as good of a DE combo as we had in mid 2000s with Hunter and Murrell. We have also missed a lot at DB and QB. The fact we have/are hitting it hard in the portal is proof. I would love to see the young QBs get significant mop-up duty reps in 2022 to see exactly what they can do.

4. Even if we have not regressed we have seen programs like UL and CCU progress more than we have and they have caught/passed us.

5. My preseason expectation is something that has regressed as well. I went from expecting undefeated or 1 loss in 2019 and 2020 to expecting 3-4 losses in 2021 and the same in 2022. Our schedule is going to be pretty tough as well. I feel A&M and UNC are definite losses with Georgia State, CCU, and Marshall all possible losses. If we replace anyone with JMU, NC State, or the other rumored schools then we are definitely picking up teams that can beat us. I could see a scenario where we win the Sun Belt but could also see us drop to 3rd or 4th best in the league.

There is also talk about the future of UL and just because they can't financially keep up what they have done I think we have to remember that the rest of the league is getting tougher. JMU and Marshall are added powers while Georgia State has already shown they can improve. Troy and Ga Southern won't stay down forever either. If UL and CCU do maintain then the SBC is going to be the best G5 league for sure between App, UL, CCU, Marshall, JMU, Ga State, etc.

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:44 pm

The Sunbelt East is going to split off with UNCC and ECU to for a new conference comprising APP, ECU, UNCC, CCU, GS, GSU, JMU, MU, and ODU. Now the problem is coming up with a cool name, Super Power Nine Intercollegiate Rival Athletic Conference, SPNIRAC.

AppStFan1
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 pm

Question on the QB situation that I would love to get feedback from Moose or someone who sees practice.

I have seen people mention that Ponce did not pick Tabscott or Goodman to explain why he does not want to put them on the field when people ask what the deal is with them. Why is that? I have seen coaches go to a school and develop players they did not recruit into star players. Drink did not recruit Thomas but he was the guy in 2019 and we went 13-1. Are these guys he did not bring in that bad or does Ponce just not adjust his system to what those guys do? I remember hearing our staff was not sure on Thomas prior to Penn State so I would love to see them get game reps to know for sure.

Are we going to attempt a transfer portal QB to be the backup to Brice? If so, I would think that could cause problems because I don't see a 1 year guy coming to App just to be a backup and if he has 2-3 years then I would think that is direct competition to Burger when he thought he would be the guy in 2023. Could that not run Burger off?

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:01 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:33 pm
Back to looking at offensive position coaches:

I think the OL discussion is very interesting. It seemed our OL play was very good this year, but don't think it was great. For example, I'd grade this years OL 7-8 out of 10, compared to 9-10 in the 12 win championship years. Granted, not much of a difference, good enough to get us 10 wins, but enough of a difference to be Conference runner up. So why is that? Is that on the OL Coach? or OC?
Personally, I feel we have lost some NFL level talent over the past several years, and put this years OL together with a JuCo, FCS transfer, & DL moved to TE moved to G moved to C and I think we just weren't as good or up to par with our previous OL groups that were so dominate. Was this year's OL a good group? Absolutely, and the stats help back that up. Were they as good as previous years when we celebrated championships at the end of the year? I don't think so.

So question I'm looking at when it comes to end of 2021 and new coaches, was 2021 disappointment because of Xs & Os, or the Johnny's & Joe's? I disagree with the post Boca Bowl twitter onslaught that 2021 was totally an Xs & Os issue. Can the coaches get better? Absolutely. But I think we can also use a little bit more talent, or maybe more continuity, especially when it comes to the trenches.
I bolded the part I will comment on. When you lose the title game and a bowl game it is 100% fair to be disappointed and anyone who is not just does not hate to lose. I think our issues are a mixture.

1. Coaching needs to improve but we have some young guys and so we need to see how they develop. One issue we will always have is that great coaches will get poached because we don't pay enough. We have to give more to the YC for sure.

2. I think the OL was down a little bit and that was due to a lot of change and some misses in the group. RG and C saw new bodies and we were definitely down in talent on the left side.

3. I know there is an argument on 247 about if we regressed, which I can see both sides. Some say it is because we did not win the title while the other side wants evidence of where we have regressed. I think OL and DL play has regressed some from the title years. I still don't think we have had as good of a DE combo as we had in mid 2000s with Hunter and Murrell. We have also missed a lot at DB and QB. The fact we have/are hitting it hard in the portal is proof. I would love to see the young QBs get significant mop-up duty reps in 2022 to see exactly what they can do.

4. Even if we have not regressed we have seen programs like UL and CCU progress more than we have and they have caught/passed us.

5. My preseason expectation is something that has regressed as well. I went from expecting undefeated or 1 loss in 2019 and 2020 to expecting 3-4 losses in 2021 and the same in 2022. Our schedule is going to be pretty tough as well. I feel A&M and UNC are definite losses with Georgia State, CCU, and Marshall all possible losses. If we replace anyone with JMU, NC State, or the other rumored schools then we are definitely picking up teams that can beat us. I could see a scenario where we win the Sun Belt but could also see us drop to 3rd or 4th best in the league.

There is also talk about the future of UL and just because they can't financially keep up what they have done I think we have to remember that the rest of the league is getting tougher. JMU and Marshall are added powers while Georgia State has already shown they can improve. Troy and Ga Southern won't stay down forever either. If UL and CCU do maintain then the SBC is going to be the best G5 league for sure between App, UL, CCU, Marshall, JMU, Ga State, etc.
I for one, believe the issues we faced in 2021 season were a combination of the things you described above. For the record, I think we did well winning 10 games and appreciate that performance. Now to figure out how to be even better we have to address the things that didn't go as well as we wanted.

On coaching, we know we have lesser experienced HC and OC and with that comes mistakes and learnings. I may complain sometimes about decisions but at the same time I expect them to learn and improve. Like Coach Moore used to say, if you don't learn anything you are wasting your time. Translation for me is, you make a mistake, analyze, learn and adjust so you don't make same mistake again. I believe in Clark and Ponce so I expect them to do better next year. If I compare them to Drink, he had several years of OC/play calling experience prior to becoming HC. He ran his offense more fluently than we have seen in last two years. I HOPE to see Ponce and Clark get to that point. Clark and Co. made some mistakes and can clean it up.

If I take just single one point to address it is turnovers. That is one thing that stands out to me is our turnovers the last two years. I know if we cut down on them then we gain 7-14 pts differential in key games. That is HUGE. We hurt ourselves and it results in differences of outcome.

Again, I do think the list above describes numerous items that will need to be addressed.

One other point, there is no doubt that others in the SBC are getting better. So we gotta continue to step up our game. That is a good thing but we have to continue get better next year than we were this year and the last couple years. That is something we all have to realize, the team next year cannot be "just as good as" this year or last year to achieve the same level of success. We are in a rising competitive conference so we have to continue to improve or we get left behind.

Stonewall
Posts: 3037
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1650 times
Been thanked: 1339 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Perhaps the past two seasons LaLa improved (they did ) while we remained about where we were.In any event the competition is getting tougher .We either improve or slide downward. Next season is going to be tough,then it gets tougher.Will we?

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Just a quick recap of key games last year relative to turnovers.

ECU-2, App-1 (won going away)
Miami-0, App-1 (lost close game, plus hiked ball into endzone for safety)
Marshall-0, App-2 (won coming from behind)
UL-1, App-4 (lost big)
CCU-0, App-2 (won coming from behind)
UL-0, App-1 (lost close)
WKU-1, App-4 (lost big)

Overall we hurt ourselves in almost all big games. Even though we barely had enough room for error to win against Marshall and CCU despite losing turnover battle (we could have won going away) but against better teams it kills you. This is unacceptable. We historically have not done this in years past. This has to be a BIG priority for our coaches.

AppSt94
Posts: 6172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, NC
Has thanked: 3552 times
Been thanked: 2005 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:01 pm

Third down conversion rate was the lowest since joining the FBS.

EastHallApp
Posts: 6339
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2893 times
Been thanked: 2549 times

Re: 2022 App State Coaching Updates

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:01 pm
Third down conversion rate was the lowest since joining the FBS.
Awful lot of runs on 3rd and medium-to-long that seemed designed to position us to go for a more manageable 4th down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”