Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFP Ideas

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: CFP Ideas

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Nothing achieved in their 2 days of meetings - WOW, who is shocked - they probably couldn't agree to what city there were in ---

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... team-field
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:01 am
Bootsy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Regarding Notre Dame, it has always given me a chuckle hearing them named among the elite college football teams.
Their horrific record in bowls/CFP games speaks for itself. When the stakes are high, the Irish poop the bed.

Somebody change my mind.
Simple argument: “This year’s Irish are not last year’s Irish”.

Yes, they get demolished in the playoff every year but playoff participants are selected based on what they did this year. What’s happened in the past doesn’t matter. Now, we all know Notre Dame is the recipient of a lot of positive bias just because of their name. And the “this year” argument is applied selectively by fans and pundits. Cincinnati had to be elite 2 years in a row to even sniff the playoff and still needed help to get in. The strength of their 2021 season wasn’t enough because they’re group of 5.
Every year, they're ranked in the top 10. And every year, they just can't get it done at season end when the stakes are high...regardless of whether it's a CFP berth or just a regular old bowl game.

Maybe next year will be different for Notre Dame, but historical performance can predict the future. It's baffling how such a high-powered team just can't get it done in January.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:01 am
Bootsy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Regarding Notre Dame, it has always given me a chuckle hearing them named among the elite college football teams.
Their horrific record in bowls/CFP games speaks for itself. When the stakes are high, the Irish poop the bed.

Somebody change my mind.
Simple argument: “This year’s Irish are not last year’s Irish”.

Yes, they get demolished in the playoff every year but playoff participants are selected based on what they did this year. What’s happened in the past doesn’t matter. Now, we all know Notre Dame is the recipient of a lot of positive bias just because of their name. And the “this year” argument is applied selectively by fans and pundits. Cincinnati had to be elite 2 years in a row to even sniff the playoff and still needed help to get in. The strength of their 2021 season wasn’t enough because they’re group of 5.
Every year, they're ranked in the top 10. And every year, they just can't get it done at season end when the stakes are high...regardless of whether it's a CFP berth or just a regular old bowl game.

Maybe next year will be different for Notre Dame, but historical performance can predict the future. It's baffling how such a high-powered team just can't get it done in January.
Even their coach did not think they could get it done so he left for LSU.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 am

Notre Dame needs to re-evaluate their scheduling. Perhaps their traditional Stanford and Southern Cal matchups aren’t serving them. That said, for the sake of accuracy, they “fell apart in January” to the tune of a 2 point loss to a top 10 team this year. 37-35 vs Oklahoma State. Not exactly a typical epic collapse. (I am not a notre dame fan, I’m just stating the facts)
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:29 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 am
Notre Dame needs to re-evaluate their scheduling. Perhaps their traditional Stanford and Southern Cal matchups aren’t serving them. That said, for the sake of accuracy, they “fell apart in January” to the tune of a 2 point loss to a top 10 team this year. 37-35 vs Oklahoma State. Not exactly a typical epic collapse. (I am not a notre dame fan, I’m just stating the facts)
Weren’t they up 28 or something?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:29 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 am
Weren’t they up 28 or something?
I didn’t watch the game. Box score says they were up 28-14 at half time then have up 17 unanswered in the 3rd.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 am

I believe I heard it was the biggest Ok State comeback in history -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:28 pm

On the CFP expansion, I think I saw where the Big 10 Commish strongly wanted their automatic slot. I can see their point, I would want my conference to get an automatic. Generally speaking if the top 6 ranked conferences got in and then next 6 at large it would probably work. However, there will always be an exception for some wild/odd year and he is trying to prevent his guys from exposure. The twist definitely is the possibility of the upset in the conference championship game (as mentioned before) yielding an "unworthy" lowly ranked conference champion and it would displace their "auto bid" based on top 6 conf champ rule above. However, if for example, OSU were top ranked in conference and got upset in conf championship game, they would probably still get an at large and conf champ would not make it in with this model. He just doesn't want his conf champ on the outside looking in. Again, I can see both sides, I just want the G5s to have some reasonable entry point that is not so exclusive that it is so rare to get in.

I think the model should ALWAYS get one G5 in the CFP but with some reason chance for more if the rankings are there.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:05 pm

Rick Neuheisel gave a great breakdown of the standoff after the CFP meetings yesterday yielded no results. The SEC, Notre Dame and the G5 are pushing for a 12 team playoff with the six highest ranked conference champions, getting automatic berths. Each has their own reason, but they are together. The ACC, Pac-12 and B1G are currently pushing for either 8 or 12, but with the five P5 champions guaranteed a bid. He didn't say where the Big12 was in this, but it doesn't matter because the two sides are currently not willing to budge. Unless and until one side caves or they reach a compromise, we will have the four team CFP for the next for years.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Oh yeah they agreed......they did not want to split up money

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm

appst89 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:05 pm
Rick Neuheisel gave a great breakdown of the standoff after the CFP meetings yesterday yielded no results. The SEC, Notre Dame and the G5 are pushing for a 12 team playoff with the six highest ranked conference champions, getting automatic berths. Each has their own reason, but they are together. The ACC, Pac-12 and B1G are currently pushing for either 8 or 12, but with the five P5 champions guaranteed a bid. He didn't say where the Big12 was in this, but it doesn't matter because the two sides are currently not willing to budge. Unless and until one side caves or they reach a compromise, we will have the four team CFP for the next for years.
SEC knows they will have one of the top ranked conference champions with confidence.

The other conferences realize there is a real chance their conference champion may, in some years, not be in top 6 ranking and don't want to concede their spot if that occurs. So they want an insurance policy to guarantee their spot even if they don't deserve it.

The totally fair way to go is to have top 6 ranked conference champs (assuming rankings are relatively accurate which is all we have to go on). That way if a crappy G5 champ is 30th they don't deserve to be there, nor would a Pac-12 champ ranked at 16 deserve to be there.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:19 pm

This is where I come down on CFP and what I want out of it as a "G5" fan. I think we should give the p4 automatic spots and byes. Making their championship even more important. But for that we want. Four highest rated g5 champs to play each other the week of their championships. And the two winners play in a "Bowl" game owned by the g5 and all money goes to g5. Then the first round is 8 teams including the g5 champ who plays the lowest rated p5 champ.
This is the only way g5 will be seen as an equal. I am more interested in settling 5-12 more than 1 and 2.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:21 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:19 pm
This is where I come down on CFP and what I want out of it as a "G5" fan. I think we should give the p4 automatic spots and byes. Making their championship even more important. But for that we want. Four highest rated g5 champs to play each other the week of their championships. And the two winners play in a "Bowl" game owned by the g5 and all money goes to g5. Then the first round is 8 teams including the g5 champ who plays the lowest rated p5 at large.
This is the only way g5 will be seen as an equal. I am more interested in settling 5-12 more than 1 and 2.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:43 am

The P5 conferences who are (or seem) concerned about not getting an auto-bid based on the "top 6 ranked conference champs" seem to be straight up cowards from where I'm sitting. I guess their proximity alarm is going off since the ACC champ was only a few spots higher than 16th ranked Louisiana. This was an extremely unimpressive year for the ACC and PAC12, but even in this year's final poll, they would have gotten an auto bid. P5 conference champs would probably get an at-large bid even if it wasn't automatic if they were even marginally deserving.

Yeah, I'm biased. I know. That system would leave the SBC in pretty good position in the soon-to-come landscape of G5.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 am

I was on board for 12 for the longest time. I thought it was creative and fair when you factor in the 6 highest ranked champions. But then the ACC PAC and BIGs had to go and muck it up demanding AQs or nothing at all. If you want to demand AQs then you have to eliminate the risk of a champion by upset by eliminating conference championship games. That way your best team, proven over an 11 game season gets in.

I also can’t get behind any format where 1 and 2 don’t have to navigate the same gauntlet that 3-12 would have to. It’s an unfair advantage.

All that said, KISS - 8 teams. Top 6 regular season champs plus 2 at larges. Easy peasy.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 am

spacemonkey wrote:
This is where I come down on CFP and what I want out of it as a "G5" fan. I think we should give the p4 automatic spots and byes. Making their championship even more important. But for that we want. Four highest rated g5 champs to play each other the week of their championships. And the two winners play in a "Bowl" game owned by the g5 and all money goes to g5. Then the first round is 8 teams including the g5 champ who plays the lowest rated p5 champ.
So under this plan would we (App) play 12 games, a Sunbelt CG, then 2 more G5 playoff games, then move into the elite 8? I’ve floated the idea of a G5 playin (so to speak) but I’d eliminate a CCG. Personally I’d get rid of them all. We would be so beat up after 14-15 games we would not have enough healthy dudes to even survive against a top 7 P5.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:12 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 am
spacemonkey wrote:
So under this plan would we (App) play 12 games, a Sunbelt CG, then 2 more G5 playoff games, then move into the elite 8? I’ve floated the idea of a G5 playin (so to speak) but I’d eliminate a CCG. Personally I’d get rid of them all. We would be so beat up after 14-15 games we would not have enough healthy dudes to even survive against a top 7 P5.
Fair points. wouldn't it be nice to prove the G5 champion and have a shot at the big ring. Most importantly, the money for the G5 would be a HUGE improvement if the g5 championship games meant 1 seat at the table.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:42 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 am
I was on board for 12 for the longest time. I thought it was creative and fair when you factor in the 6 highest ranked champions. But then the ACC PAC and BIGs had to go and muck it up demanding AQs or nothing at all. If you want to demand AQs then you have to eliminate the risk of a champion by upset by eliminating conference championship games. That way your best team, proven over an 11 game season gets in.

I also can’t get behind any format where 1 and 2 don’t have to navigate the same gauntlet that 3-12 would have to. It’s an unfair advantage.

All that said, KISS - 8 teams. Top 6 regular season champs plus 2 at larges. Easy peasy.
I agree with the 8 team format. If the purpose is to name a valid champion and give all teams a path to the championship (not equal path but at least it's there) 8 seems to accomplish that with the least amount of pot stirring. I'm fine with 12 but seems to me that 8 gets it done.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm

I believe that first and foremost the regular season still needs to be meaningful and exciting. Secondly these guys don’t need to string out a season that lasts too long. They have lives and if you extend it too long the injuries will diminish the games at the end. Let’s say App is just loaded and is crushing everyone in our wake. Then we hit game 10 and lose some key guys. We overcome a few bumps and bruises but still have 2 regular season games, a CCG then big time playoffs assuming we are the highest rated G5. Now we get to go play at Alabama without our best horses. I get the whole next man up thing but we won’t have the luxury of taking our foot off the gas or stand the chance of dropping in the ranking. Overall 8 is plenty and going with the highest rated G5 champ as an automatic qualifier is probably all we can hope for.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:04 pm

The conferences are what is going to matter. Automatic Qualifiers for each conference if not division is the only way to make it work that is fair for everyone. Seed all the teams in the playoffs. I mean if Division III, Division II, NAIA, and The FCS can make it work, then the FBS can make it work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”