Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFP Ideas

postalapp90
School: Appalachian State

Re: CFP Ideas

Unread post by postalapp90 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:04 pm
The conferences are what is going to matter. Automatic Qualifiers for each conference if not division is the only way to make it work that is fair for everyone. Seed all the teams in the playoffs. I mean if Division III, Division II, NAIA, and The FCS can make it work, then the FBS can make it work.
There will NEVER be a college playoff where all conference champions are in the playoff nor should there be. There is no way most can even remotely compete with a top four team from a p5. Northern Illinois, Utah State etc would maybe have a 10% chance to even compete in those games. This year only Lafayette and Cinci could offer a competetive game or maybe win. Hell App has only beat USC and UNC in p5 and neither of them would sniff a 16 team playoff.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:40 pm

For those saying remove the Conference Championship games I would remind you, the conference championship game IS important because conferences no longer play a full round robin schedule due to number of teams. This game does serve the purpose of producing the "on-field" conference champion as best that can be accomplished. If the top team from the regular season (W/L record wise) loses the opponent with a lower W/L beat them, then an upset occurred and the consequences of that should play out as they move to the CFP. Again, the conference championship game does serve as a first round in that regard. That is the same thing that would happen if an upset occurs in first round or larger playoff field.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:02 pm

I think the answer the Alliance and other p5 conferences should look for is the six highest rated conference's champion should make the CFP....not the highest rated champion. The upset could cause a conference champion that is low rated team not make the CFP. A whole years body of work would make sure the upset did not kill the conference. The solution seems simple to me with the change of those words. Six HIGHEST RATED CONFERCE"S champion....which could hurt App but it is what it is. I would rather see the G5's settle it on the field then letting a committee decide the highest rated conference of the g5's. App has very little control of that.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 pm

I just do not know why we moved to FBS if we never have a shot at being national champions. If you expand the playoffs then you spread out the talent and more teams will have the talent to compete for a national championship. Expand the playoffs enough for the conference champions to be in the playoffs and Appalachian State will win national championships. App could never have beaten Michigan had they not played them and there are some that believe that we should never have played Michigan in the first place, because "Appalachian cannot compete with Michigan."

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 pm

Talent likes to go to the team that is winning...Many conferences get their champion in FCS Championship. North Dakota State has won 9 of the last 11.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:04 am

Disclaimer- I’m glad that we moved up from FCS.

Just for the sake of discussion when we began the talks of moving up was reason number one to have the chance at winning the National Championship? Did the powers that be at App really put that at the top of a realistic list? I mean that’s the absolute ultimate goal but if it is the be all end all we are wasting a boatload of money considering the cost of being in a conference that went from basically bus trips to plane trips for lots of sports.

Again just for the sake of discussion in terms of athletic budget how are we faring now versus, say 2007 (bottom line)? I recall attending quite a few games with at or close to 30,000 fans for SOCON opponents. The playoffs (even if sparsely attended) were thrilling and the NC games at Chatty seemed small in terms of attendance but probably outdid most of our bowl games. We obviously would not have played on ESPN, no “home game” in BOA and at the FCS level we probably lose in Chapel Hill and Columbia. I totally get it and am glad we moved up but realistically is there a ceiling which we are probably approaching now that didn’t absolutely exist a couple of years ago? It’s a shame that a lot of the pure fun and joy that used to exist in the regular season has diminished. It’s kind of hard to believe that I used to listen to games on the radio just 20 years ago if no TV option was available and went crazy when we beat Wofford or Furman.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:48 am

In some respects, the FCS did allow for us to be the ultimate champion of that division. However, I believe at the FBS level, we have better overall product on the field, except for AE the GOAT (lol). Although we did beat Michigan back in the day, I actually feel much more confident when we play P5 teams today than when we played at FCS level. This gives me excitement like a mini-championship and bragging rights. Over time, I hope our bowl opponents are matchups with P5s l. Our margin for error is less at FBS level to get a good bowl opportunity. As of now, I like that part of it. Low margin for error translates to high expectations...or it should. Not saying we ever get shot at playoffs, however, I like it that we can only lose maybe 1 to 2 games to get a better bowl. Makes every regular season game really count.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am

To me the move up allows us the ability to play better competition, and to be able to schedule P5 teams at App. Bowl games are a reward for a good to great season and I hope in the future bowl alliances help us to play better opponents. Never thought we would have an opportunity to play for a Natty. I like the fact that now if we have a special season, we might be in the mix.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:44 am

I wish the CFP would expand...not just for us but for College Football. I have conditioned myself to see the P5 games as our "Bowl Games" We play Texas A&M and UNC in two great bowl games next year. After that I care deeply that we win the sunbelt. It is not an easy task. The bowl matchup at the end of the season will never be our high of the season unless CFP is changed.

I would love an NIT type end of year tournament to go with the CFP. G5 conference champions, P5 3,4,5,6 type teams that did not make playoffs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”