Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFP Ideas

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: CFP Ideas

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:57 pm
The one major difference for FBS vs lower divisions is that now all FBS conferences have a championship game. An extra game that does serve as a de facto first round in a way. (Logic for not going to 24).

It would be nice say all conferences get an automatic spot but there are definitely years where one or more G5 conferences champs just don't deserve a spot regardless of CFP size. It should be table stakes for some minimal guaranteed G5 spots. At least 1 or 2 of top G5 conference champs should be in.

The 12 number seems legit if a fair number of G5 spots could be addressed. I also think the top 4 overall slots getting a buy helps the lower teams have a shot at one reasonable game instead of automatic blowouts for top tier teams. You know it will be lambs to the slaughter if #1 plays #16 every year. You will eventually get blowouts just because of disparity at top, just like today.

Bottomline, I believe 12 teams would help give more teams "a shot" and expands significance of regular season games for everybody.
Agree with you on deserving teams. My issue is that if you don’t include conference champs, you are just as likely to have deserving teams sitting it out. If you don’t have the five champs, you likely still only have 1.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:24 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
The one major difference for FBS vs lower divisions is that now all FBS conferences have a championship game. An extra game that does serve as a de facto first round in a way. (Logic for not going to 24).

It would be nice say all conferences get an automatic spot but there are definitely years where one or more G5 conferences champs just don't deserve a spot regardless of CFP size. It should be table stakes for some minimal guaranteed G5 spots. At least 1 or 2 of top G5 conference champs should be in.

The 12 number seems legit if a fair number of G5 spots could be addressed. I also think the top 4 overall slots getting a buy helps the lower teams have a shot at one reasonable game instead of automatic blowouts for top tier teams. You know it will be lambs to the slaughter if #1 plays #16 every year. You will eventually get blowouts just because of disparity at top, just like today.

Bottomline, I believe 12 teams would help give more teams "a shot" and expands significance of regular season games for everybody.
Agree with you on deserving teams. My issue is that if you don’t include conference champs, you are just as likely to have deserving teams sitting it out. If you don’t have the five champs, you likely still only have 1.
I have read that there is real concern from the "committee" regarding auto bids for a conference champion - I'll use my example from a previous post ---
Big 12
Baylor goes 8-0 in conference games beating all conference teams and they play the second place team for the conference championship - let's say the other 7 teams all beat up on each other and WVU :D takes the second place position at 4-4 because of tie-breakers. WV then upsets Baylor and in this scenario they would get the auto bid --- Or you could have something like this similar in the Big 10 - Penn St wins the East with an 8-1 record and the West is crazy and Minnesota wins with a 5-4 record - Minn upsets Penn St in the conf championship game and thus gets the Auto Bid even though during the regular season they lost to Penn St, Ohio St and Michigan --- ???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:06 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 am
The real reason that Notre Dame does not want to join a conference is the same reason that Georgia Southern won 4 national championship games as an independent. No one had an answer for the triple option, because most teams did not see that in the regular season and were not prepared to stop the triple option when they played them in the playoffs. Just like Drinkwitz, if he had stayed at App more teams would have figured out how to beat him. Notre Dame does not want to loose the advantage it gives them not having to play the same teams every year to figure them out. Any school in a conference is at a disadvantage, because other teams figure them out. Georgia Southern has given App so many problems over the years because they change coaches so often. That is why Alabama is so hard to beat because they change assistant coaches so often, no one has been able to figure out what they are going to do.
So some people on here and 247 have said that the change in coaches hurts development but at a school like Alabama where they are college ready as a senior in HS that is not a big deal. Interesting to see how different it is for them since they are getting elite talent that does not have to fit so perfect in a system. They just get the best players.

On Notre Dame, do you all think the ACC blew it and should have forced them to join the ACC permanently to be allowed to play with the league in 2020? I felt that was leverage they could have used. I don't think Notre Dame is going to a league until the ACC squeezes them and makes it where they have to in order to have a real shot at the playoffs.
Interesting concept, expand the playoffs to force Notre Dame to join a conference.
If they expand the playoffs and state you must be a league champion or play in the league title game that could be something that indeed forces Notre Dame in a league. They won't join a league until their path to the playoffs is taken away without being in a conference. Expansion could indeed be a good way to force them in a league.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
I’m not sure that your statement regarding Alabama is accurate. I doubt that they just call every guy ranked 1-3 in each position and offer them. I’m sure that there is an evaluation process to determine if a guy can fit with what they are doing and a relationship build to determine fit to the culture.
Are you talking about my statement? If so, I never said anything about Alabama going after highest rated players. I said they sign elite talent, which is shown in how they play every year. I think you read that into my statement assuming I meant the ratings but I would have flat out said ratings had I meant that here. We all know the ratings are based on college interest for the most part with stats taken into consideration. That does not guarantee a player to be good. lol

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm
AppWyo wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
The real reason that Notre Dame does not want to join a conference is the same reason that Georgia Southern won 4 national championship games as an independent. No one had an answer for the triple option, because most teams did not see that in the regular season and were not prepared to stop the triple option when they played them in the playoffs. Just like Drinkwitz, if he had stayed at App more teams would have figured out how to beat him. Notre Dame does not want to loose the advantage it gives them not having to play the same teams every year to figure them out. Any school in a conference is at a disadvantage, because other teams figure them out. Georgia Southern has given App so many problems over the years because they change coaches so often. That is why Alabama is so hard to beat because they change assistant coaches so often, no one has been able to figure out what they are going to do.
So some people on here and 247 have said that the change in coaches hurts development but at a school like Alabama where they are college ready as a senior in HS that is not a big deal. Interesting to see how different it is for them since they are getting elite talent that does not have to fit so perfect in a system. They just get the best players.

On Notre Dame, do you all think the ACC blew it and should have forced them to join the ACC permanently to be allowed to play with the league in 2020? I felt that was leverage they could have used. I don't think Notre Dame is going to a league until the ACC squeezes them and makes it where they have to in order to have a real shot at the playoffs.
Interesting concept, expand the playoffs to force Notre Dame to join a conference.
If they expand the playoffs and state you must be a league champion or play in the league title game that could be something that indeed forces Notre Dame in a league. They won't join a league until their path to the playoffs is taken away without being in a conference. Expansion could indeed be a good way to force them in a league.
It could work that way but I don't think it will on this go round - but I like the idea that at least the top 4 must come from a conference - possibly top 6 === then if ND has a good enough record put them in with the at-large bids 7 thru 12
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm

Regarding Notre Dame, it has always given me a chuckle hearing them named among the elite college football teams.
Their horrific record in bowls/CFP games speaks for itself. When the stakes are high, the Irish poop the bed.

Somebody change my mind.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:24 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

I have read that there is real concern from the "committee" regarding auto bids for a conference champion - I'll use my example from a previous post ---
Big 12
Baylor goes 8-0 in conference games beating all conference teams and they play the second place team for the conference championship - let's say the other 7 teams all beat up on each other and WVU :D takes the second place position at 4-4 because of tie-breakers. WV then upsets Baylor and in this scenario they would get the auto bid --- Or you could have something like this similar in the Big 10 - Penn St wins the East with an 8-1 record and the West is crazy and Minnesota wins with a 5-4 record - Minn upsets Penn St in the conf championship game and thus gets the Auto Bid even though during the regular season they lost to Penn St, Ohio St and Michigan --- ???
But isn’t that the beauty of college sports, or what it is supposed to be? Those teams that were upset would most likely qualify for the at large bids, so they are still in.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I’m not sure that your statement regarding Alabama is accurate. I doubt that they just call every guy ranked 1-3 in each position and offer them. I’m sure that there is an evaluation process to determine if a guy can fit with what they are doing and a relationship build to determine fit to the culture.
Are you talking about my statement? If so, I never said anything about Alabama going after highest rated players. I said they sign elite talent, which is shown in how they play every year. I think you read that into my statement assuming I meant the ratings but I would have flat out said ratings had I meant that here. We all know the ratings are based on college interest for the most part with stats taken into consideration. That does not guarantee a player to be good. lol
You said, “ Interesting to see how different it is for them since they are getting elite talent that does not have to fit so perfect in a system. They just get the best players.”

No you didn’t mention ratings. Your comment was that they get the best players. Your comment suggest that they don’t care if a kid fits their scheme. That’s not true. Their long term success, like us, is due to getting the best players that fit what they do and they coach them up. In a sense, we get the best players available that works for us.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Big 12
But isn’t that the beauty of college sports, or what it is supposed to be? Those teams that were upset would most likely qualify for the at large bids, so they are still in.
Maybe - maybe not --- what if Baylor is 8-0 in conf but 9-3 overall --- Penn st is 8-1 in conf because they beat OSU and Mich but were 10-3 overall and OSU doesn't win the division nor conf and finish 10-2 but lost to Penn ST and Mich finishes 3rd in the division at 7-2 but finish the season at 10-2
See what I'm getting at - not what I am hoping for - but why there's hesitancy to give auto qualifiers to conf champions? - they want all 12 to be at large
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:42 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm
AppWyo wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

It could work that way but I don't think it will on this go round - but I like the idea that at least the top 4 must come from a conference - possibly top 6 === then if ND has a good enough record put them in with the at-large bids 7 thru 12
It would not shock me if it does not work that way. Just thought it could force Notre Dame, if they do it. If I'm the rest of the country I try to force Notre Dame into joining a league. The fact they don't have a conference championship game and can still get in the playoffs should be incentive to make them join. Just this year if not for the SEC title game I think Georgia would have been considered the undisputed #1 seed. If we go to the highest seeded team getting an on campus game then it means even more to make Notre Dame join so they don't get a bye weekend while about 10 of the top teams in the country are all playing for a title.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 pm

The proposal getting the most attention says “the six highest-ranked conference champions qualify.”

In 2020 for example, the PAC-12 champ wouldn’t have qualified. But Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina would have.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Big 12
Maybe - maybe not --- what if Baylor is 8-0 in conf but 9-3 overall --- Penn st is 8-1 in conf because they beat OSU and Mich but were 10-3 overall and OSU doesn't win the division nor conf and finish 10-2 but lost to Penn ST and Mich finishes 3rd in the division at 7-2 but finish the season at 10-2
See what I'm getting at - not what I am hoping for - but why there's hesitancy to give auto qualifiers to conf champions? - they want all 12 to be at large
I get your point. But to me, whether it’s 4,8, or 12, the G5 teams are screwed one way or another unless you give them a chance. In reality though, we haven’t seen much out of the 4 team playoff to suggest that in any given year, it is two teams and the rest of the field.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:09 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 pm
The proposal getting the most attention says “the six highest-ranked conference champions qualify.”

In 2020 for example, the PAC-12 champ wouldn’t have qualified. But Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina would have.
I like the 6 highest RANKED conference champions idea - I vote for that :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 pm

78 you are a man with connections in the world of sports journalism - Make this happen
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:18 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
You said, “ Interesting to see how different it is for them since they are getting elite talent that does not have to fit so perfect in a system. They just get the best players.”

No you didn’t mention ratings. Your comment was that they get the best players. Your comment suggest that they don’t care if a kid fits their scheme. That’s not true. Their long term success, like us, is due to getting the best players that fit what they do and they coach them up. In a sense, we get the best players available that works for us.
Then maybe we need to get the same system as Alabama because if they are simply getting system fits they are turning out to be the best in the nation. LOL. They have literally had 4 first round receivers on the same roster. What they do yearly is just remarkable when you consider how hard it is to repeat and they do it in the best league in the nation.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:25 pm

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:03 pm

Or maybe the players at Alabama fit the system because they want to be there.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:54 am
AppWyo wrote:
Don’t they play the same opponents regularly? Seems to me that Stanford, BC, and USC are on their schedule more often than not. They also play the military academies often, which fiscally, is genius. They don’t have to pay them for money games.
Kind of, but not like a conference:
2016 Texas, Nevada, Mich St., Duke, Syracuse, NC State, Stanford, The U, Navy, Army, VT, USC
2017 Temple, Georgia, Boston College, Mich. St, Miami (OH), UNC, Southern Cal, NC State, Wake, The U, Navy, Stanford
2018 Michigan, Ball St, Vandy, Wake, Stanford, VT, Pitt, Navy, Fla. St, Northwestern, Syracuse, Southern Cal
2019 Louisville, New Mexico, Georgia, UVA, Bowling Green, Southern Cal, Michigan, VT, Duke, Navy. Boston College, Stanford
2021 Fla St, Toledo, Purdue, Wisconsin, Cincy, VT, Southern Cal, UNC, Navy, UVA, Georgia Tech, Stanford

Stanford, Southern Cal and Navy are the three regulars. They have Stanford and Southern Cal on future schedules every year through 2026 and Navy every year through 2032.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:01 am

Bootsy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Regarding Notre Dame, it has always given me a chuckle hearing them named among the elite college football teams.
Their horrific record in bowls/CFP games speaks for itself. When the stakes are high, the Irish poop the bed.

Somebody change my mind.
Simple argument: “This year’s Irish are not last year’s Irish”.

Yes, they get demolished in the playoff every year but playoff participants are selected based on what they did this year. What’s happened in the past doesn’t matter. Now, we all know Notre Dame is the recipient of a lot of positive bias just because of their name. And the “this year” argument is applied selectively by fans and pundits. Cincinnati had to be elite 2 years in a row to even sniff the playoff and still needed help to get in. The strength of their 2021 season wasn’t enough because they’re group of 5.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:59 pm

The College Football Playoff will never be fair until every conference winner, if not division winner gets an automatic bid. That is the only way to have the very best every year, not what someone perceives to be the best teams, the actual best team from every conference or division, plus Notre Dame.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”