Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What if?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: What if?

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:54 am

He was underpaid to begin with, it’s not like we’re paying him 3mil. Also, as a premiere Sun Belt team, he should be one of the highest paid in the Sun Belt.

Looking forward to Chapel Hill coming to App next year. Enjoyed watching the real Carolina moving the ball at will against them. Expect to see more of the same when we play them. Looking forward to introducing Maye to Nick Hampton and TD Roof.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:26 am

Given Coach Clark's performance, he should be in top 2 or 3 in the league in terms of contracts.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:31 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:26 am
Given Coach Clark's performance, he should be in top 2 or 3 in the league in terms of contracts.

I agree, bach, but how many of us will concur with that thought if we should lose to both our P-5 teams as well as two 2 or three SB teams.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:59 am

Still deserves the contract. My comment is based upon who we have been, who we are and what we want to continue to be. You can insert Coach Clark for Coach ABC. We have a long record of winning. We have a long history of putting fans in the stands compared to other SBC teams. As such, it takes a certain amount of compensation to maintain it. That does not mean you cannot fire a coach if they do not perform, etc. Given our history, our HC should be too 3 in league, whether in their first year or 15th.

Whether we have the resources is a another discussion. If resources are the issue...with our fan support, why are we lacking? I am sure YC/MAF is part of it...is it the fact that we do not have the right corporate sponsors or the big donors that others have that we do not have. I do not follow our total funding other than what hits my pocket book. For example, how can La La pay Napier $2 million and we cannot....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:22 am

This seems so simple to me. Our chancellor, administration, and coaches all say they EXPECT championships. By definition, our head coach has failed to meet expectations his first 2 years and got rewarded with a contract extension. He certainly shouldn't be fired or on the hot seat and is trending in the right direction, but you can't argue the logic that we rewarded someone that hadn't met expectations.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 am

Those “Expect Championships” are mantras for to ignite donors and fan bases. No doubt that all of the above want to win championships every year. But they also know that isn’t realistic.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:52 am

We don't pay so the AD can't pay. It is just that simple. There is beating a dead horse, and then there is beating the dust after the horse has fully decomposed.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Therefore by this standard only 11 coaches out of 135 met expectations??? This is not a reasonable argument whatsoever
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:44 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm
I don't get the benefit in comparing us to a mediocre Carolina team or a mediocre Tenneesee team. That's the point, we should have higher expectations for App football.
It's just for perspective, don't want App to be anything like the Columbia Blue Cheaters
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:44 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I don't get the benefit in comparing us to a mediocre Carolina team or a mediocre Tenneesee team. That's the point, we should have higher expectations for App football.
It's just for perspective, don't want App to be anything like the Columbia Blue Cheaters
I agree. My comment was not intended to compare programs at all. It’s ridiculous to try to compare us to anyone. I only brought up UT because of the number of fans at that bowl game yesterday even though the team went 7-5/4-4. There was still excitement and support. Some folks act like if others speak in terms of realism - we ain’t winning every stinking game and we ain’t winning a championship every stinking year- that we don’t have expectations. I expect us to win the National Championship every year but I’m also not delusional. Frankly to have run off all of these 8+ win seasons is remarkable in my opinion. We have brought in really good players and coaches over the years and the “expectation” is that it continues.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:06 pm

Agree. Didn't mean to undermine your comment. As a former coach, I had expectations...but there had to be perspective and your players must believe and have confidence in what you say but fans don't always understand that there's only 1 conference champion and only one state or national champion. For a coach and team to fulfill fans expectations every year is ludicrous. I Know you understand that
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:16 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Unfortunately if Mack does as good of job at Hick Hill as he did for the Long Horns, it won't be long before they aren't mediocre. He's a real recruiter. I think he and Sparky recruited John Settle away from the Heels.
John was committed to Duke until Coach Red Wilson was fired. John and his family are very religious folks and Watauga was a dry county. That and his relationship with our Coaches led him to App State. We were very fortunate to get John!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:22 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm
NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:16 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Unfortunately if Mack does as good of job at Hick Hill as he did for the Long Horns, it won't be long before they aren't mediocre. He's a real recruiter. I think he and Sparky recruited John Settle away from the Heels.
John was committed to Duke until Coach Red Wilson was fired. John and his family are very religious folks and Watauga was a dry county. That and his relationship with our Coaches led him to App State. We were very fortunate to get John!
I remember all that. Thanks for the memories. In addition John's dad was a minister. Interesting about the alcohol thing is that when John signed with the Falcons, one of the first things he did was to buy part interest in a bar or bar restaurant in Boone. I think maybe at the time, however, that there were no straight up stand alone bars. So, it must have been a so called bar restaurant.

Watauga was a dry county, but for all intents and purposes, Blowing Rock was not. The ABC store and the Antlers preceded John's time.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:41 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:07 pm
Therefore by this standard only 11 coaches out of 135 met expectations??? This is not a reasonable argument whatsoever
I'm simply using their own words so tell Clark and Everts that they aren't reasonable. And no, teams like ULM and Duke and Vanderbilt do not expect championships so that number is much lower than 135.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:41 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:57 pm
Watching a 7-5 (4-4 conference) UT play what amounts to a home game against Perdue. There has to be 50,000+ UT fans in the stands having a great time cheering on their 7-5 team. Had we gone 7-5 there would have been an absolute meltdown along with a thread dedicated to the head coach, Ponce (oops already there) the QB and the rest of the staff. Wait there is already one for Clark and his contract.

I have to believe that the general consensus for Carolina is that it was an epic disappointment this season despite the dumb ranking. I’ve always felt that there should be no real rankings until after 6 games. Play a few non-conference and a few conference games then see where you stand. Based on what I hear Mack has a boatload of potential coming in.

I was disappointed like most mostly due to the ass whipping we took the first time in La. The bowl game sucked but we all have to accept our typical bowl fate unless we run the table. 10 wins is great no matter who you play so I’ll take it.
To your first paragraph I’ll say: it’s because our fanbase isn’t very good. Probably unpopular but very true.

We like to believe we have this super dedicated base, but that’s because we win. I shudder to imagine what KBS would look like if we had back to back .500 seasons, let alone losing seasons. We’d struggle to hit 10k. All you gotta do is look at our basketball program.
YNWA

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:55 am

appvette wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:22 am
This seems so simple to me. Our chancellor, administration, and coaches all say they EXPECT championships. By definition, our head coach has failed to meet expectations his first 2 years and got rewarded with a contract extension. He certainly shouldn't be fired or on the hot seat and is trending in the right direction, but you can't argue the logic that we rewarded someone that hadn't met expectations.
Think you're confusing publish statements and talking points with the realities of contractual incentives. Things are rarely as simple as the seem from the public perspective. Yeah, I was disappointed with our last two games, but Clark has done a good job so far and I believe he will continue to improve. Others have already pointed out the reasons behind the extension. Personally, I think we probably could have waited a year, but I don't have a problem with it. Next year could be tough by App standards (based on how tough our OOC schedule is) but I'm confident we will compete.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:17 am

Next season will answer a lot of questions.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:19 am

It's funny how this board thinks our AD walks on water and is just the smartest man god ever put on this earth then spends pages questioning his decision to extend a contract.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 am

appvette wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:41 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:07 pm
I'm simply using their own words so tell Clark and Everts that they aren't reasonable. And no, teams like ULM and Duke and Vanderbilt do not expect championships so that number is much lower than 135.
True, but many fans think the same thing
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:51 am

Doug isn't perfect , he gave Jim Foxx an ill-warranted extension only to fire him a season or so afterward. But he bats a pretty high percentage it seems .I hope this decision proves to be a winner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”