Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Putting the “L” in Louisville

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Putting the “L” in Louisville

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:02 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:48 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:56 pm
As much as we hate it, he made the right decision. He set his family up for generations. Look at Jason Candle at Toledo. He was also a hot name for a big time coaching job during our two bowl games against them. He chose to stay at Toledo. He has yet to move up. In this profession, you never know when it's your last day. You have to protect you and your family's future and move up.
I definitely believe had he waited it out there was a chance he could have one better, like Napier did, but that is still a gamble and you don't gamble when you have a family. He made the best choice at that time for sure. Worst case he gets fired next year and lands as a HC at a FCS or OC at a G5. If he can't fix it there I believe he would get another shot somewhere else at some point.
If that happened he will do better than HC at FCS or OC at G5
I said worst case for a reason. I can see you completely being right here and he gets a G5 HC job. There are a lot of G5 schools who I would think would love to get Satt with what he did at App.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Names
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:25 am

Let's say you're the CEO of a widget company. You've been at your current job for years and you really like your employer. They're almost like family to you. You have deep relationships there with staff as well as customers.

Now let's say another company that makes plonges offers you a position that checks all of your boxes and then some. Higher profile, better industry, a new challenge, the ability to compete on a higher level, etc. Oh, and they aren't really a direct competitor to your company and the compensation is much better. So you take it.

Should your old company dog you and do your former customers curse you for taking a new job that meets many of the goals you set for yourself many years ago? Or do they wish you well and celebrate your success with you?

My point? SS was always bound for a job on a bigger stage. He earned it by working tirelessly and coming up the hard way. Just because he was App born and bred doesn't mean he'd be around forever. Some of us need to make a paradigm shift here. Why?

Folks, coaches like Jerry Moore are unicorns. They are wonderful, but they barely exist anymore and we shouldn't hold them up as the standard and/or expectation. App State is a very good G5 program and how we do things here is watched closely by plenty of P5 programs. When our coaches do well, we can expect offers to come their way. This is reality in the world of college football today. Accept it or expect constant disappointment when our coaches move on.

SS has clearly made some missteps during his time in Louisville. I don't think any of them are career-ending but the 2022 season will be critical to his trajectory. We should want Satt to do well; people still associate him with App. His success does bring prestige to our program indirectly. DId everyone hate on Mack when he coached Texas to a National Championship?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:18 am

People on this board, including myself, have probably left the first company we worked for ...for a $20k, $30k, $50k raise. We have some people hating on someone for taking a $2 million or more compensation increase. Satt is family and always be. He (and rest of team) beat No. 1 Marshall....that should be enough😂
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:05 am

Hypothetical follow up…would (and how many years would it take for) you to be excited about Scott Satterfield returning to Boone in some capacity ala Mark Spier?

Immediately? 2 years? 5 years? Never?

If Scott ever returned it’d likely be in the capacity of an OC. I think he already ran an offense at App with some decent creativity but would benefit from a job cycle under an offensive staff that could introduce some new concepts. That’s not a knock on Scott, they literally all could use that experience.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:17 am

Scott is a D-1 coach and a good one. He’s cleaning up a huge mess. It takes time and patience. If he comes to Boone he’s retired.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am

My first question is why would Scott come back in any coaching position? It would be a step down from where he is? My other questions are why are we so concerned about this? Why would anyone here wish him any ill will? Some folks on here are all in love with Dink who came in here and used us for a year contributing virtually nothing. Then we have those who want to bad mouth Scott who gave us years as a player and coach and contributed greatly to the success we enjoy today. Real head scratcher.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:38 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am
My first question is why would Scott come back in any coaching position? It would be a step down from where he is? My other questions are why are we so concerned about this? Why would anyone here wish him any ill will? Some folks on here are all in love with Dink who came in here and used us for a year contributing virtually nothing. Then we have those who want to bad mouth Scott who gave us years as a player and coach and contributed greatly to the success we enjoy today. Real head scratcher.
It was a hypothetical for fun and entertainment purposes. Gauging how people actually feel based on whether they’d accept him back into the family dynamic that is so important to so many.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:42 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:38 am
bcoach wrote:
It was a hypothetical for fun and entertainment purposes. Gauging how people actually feel based on whether they’d accept him back into the family dynamic that is so important to so many.
Sorry, there is no "accepting him back into the family". He is App. St. family... historically, currently, and in the future.. probably more than 90% on this message board.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:42 am
APPdiesel wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Sorry, there is no "accepting him back into the family". He is App. St. family... historically, currently, and in the future.. probably more than 90% on this message board.
He never left the family. He left the program.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:26 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:05 am
Hypothetical follow up…would (and how many years would it take for) you to be excited about Scott Satterfield returning to Boone in some capacity ala Mark Spier?

Immediately? 2 years? 5 years? Never?

If Scott ever returned it’d likely be in the capacity of an OC. I think he already ran an offense at App with some decent creativity but would benefit from a job cycle under an offensive staff that could introduce some new concepts. That’s not a knock on Scott, they literally all could use that experience.
I have wondered if some time down the road if he would come back as a head coach. He’s made his money, so he doesn’t have to demand a huge salary from App and can finish out his career without worrying about his next gig.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:27 pm

bcoach wrote:
Because he might have to. Louisville could ruin his whole legacy. It's a dumpster fire. No one is wishing him ill will. He did a great job here but may be in over his head as a Cardinal. That place sux.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I thought I remembered some one disputing my post that he burned no bridges. I might have been talking about Cobb burning bridges. Don't recall for sure.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:32 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I thought I remembered some one disputing my post that he burned no bridges. I might have been talking about Cobb burning bridges. Don't recall for sure.
Make no mistakes. Satt fractured some relationships within the Athletic Department. Iron Mike was an issue and Satt’s loyalty to him was a problem for some.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:59 pm

So, unicorns = Bob McKillop (basketball). Can’t think of any in football.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:07 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Naïve much? He stayed a long time and built up his resume here but didn't hesitate to jump. Let's just hope he didn't jump in a pond with piranha>
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:22 pm

NewApp, I don't quite understand your underlying anger at Coach Satterfield and still love Mack Brown?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:51 pm

I have no proof of this, but Satterfield should probably get a huge amount of credit for getting us to FBS. I can't imagine how any true fan cannot see how much he meant to many parts of our rise.

OC at Michigan win
I think his time at FIU is when he started pushing App to go FBS. He saw the mess there and knew we were ready.
FBS transition

He was important....As far as I am concerned he should have a statue right beside Jerry Moore.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:07 pm
Names
Eddie Robinson comes immediately to mind.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:59 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:52 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:07 pm
Names
Eddie Robinson comes immediately to mind.
I was thinking of Robinson and Gaines at WSSU. But were either offered other positions?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”