Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Putting the “L” in Louisville

Cro-Magnon App
School: Appalachian State

Re: Putting the “L” in Louisville

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:38 pm

“My ambition has always been to be the greatest shell builder in the world; and without false modesty, I believe I have attained that goal. If I were to sell the [Boeing] stock, I fear I would lose my incentive and become a wealthy man, but a second-rate artisan. I prefer to remain a first-class artisan.” George Yeoman Peacock

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:29 am

Was talking about Satt with the wife yesterday. If I were him I would play this out. If it works good if not oh we’ll. I’d come back to Boone find something in the athletics dept. to keep me around football and enjoy life. But I guess that type of thinking is why no one ever offered me 6 mil to do anything.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:36 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:25 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:56 pm
Think he regrets leaving us?
Not one bit $$$$$

Taxes will eat up his long term financial windfall from Lewey ville. So as far as one said his family is set for life...that's a maybe and that's all.
Bullshit, the kind of money he made is life changing. No, he can’t go out and buy multi-million dollar mansions and a Lamborghini but one would have a hard time spending even half that money on a normal life. Just return normal percentages and most likely he would never even touch the principal.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:48 am

I don't understand some of the snide comments about Satt. Is it jealousy, hurt from him leaving, etc.? He was an App man that came up through our program and had success with our program and took it from FCS to a very successful FBS while here. He stayed here as HC for 6 years which is very fair for a young HC wanting to take his career as high as possible. Whether the UL job was the ideal or not, and whether he made all the right decisions at UL or not (SC situation), I still want him to be successful as an App Man. He helped our program tremendously. I feel good for him with his success and bad for him in his mistakes. IMO, it is okay to discuss his choice of decisions and wisdom in some but I just get the sense that a few on this board seem to enjoy his mistakes a little too much.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:58 am

I agree about the crappy Satt comments. This thread is stupid and among the worst started. Was Satt obligated to stay forever in Boone? He got offered a great gig (despite the dumpster fire aspect) and did great while here. He could have bolted and left us with an empty roster. We have been fine also despite the glass half-empty guys who can’t accept some losses.
He is an App guy for life who simply took a better paying job.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:42 am

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:41 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:56 pm
As much as we hate it, he made the right decision. He set his family up for generations. Look at Jason Candle at Toledo. He was also a hot name for a big time coaching job during our two bowl games against them. He chose to stay at Toledo. He has yet to move up. In this profession, you never know when it's your last day. You have to protect you and your family's future and move up.
The same fans that want to fire Shawn Clark for 10-4 are the ones that think Satterfield should have never left App for Louisville. Quite comical.
We have a tougher schedule next year so can you imagine what those who want him fired for going 10-4 would say if he somehow went 8-4 in the regular season next year? And I wonder what they will say if he somehow went 10-2 in the regular season?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:48 am

AppStateNews wrote:
As much as we hate it, he made the right decision. He set his family up for generations. Look at Jason Candle at Toledo. He was also a hot name for a big time coaching job during our two bowl games against them. He chose to stay at Toledo. He has yet to move up. In this profession, you never know when it's your last day. You have to protect you and your family's future and move up.
I definitely believe had he waited it out there was a chance he could have one better, like Napier did, but that is still a gamble and you don't gamble when you have a family. He made the best choice at that time for sure. Worst case he gets fired next year and lands as a HC at a FCS or OC at a G5. If he can't fix it there I believe he would get another shot somewhere else at some point.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:48 am
AppStateNews wrote:
I definitely believe had he waited it out there was a chance he could have one better, like Napier did, but that is still a gamble and you don't gamble when you have a family. He made the best choice at that time for sure. Worst case he gets fired next year and lands as a HC at a FCS or OC at a G5. If he can't fix it there I believe he would get another shot somewhere else at some point.
If that happened he will do better than HC at FCS or OC at G5

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:24 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:29 am
Was talking about Satt with the wife yesterday. If I were him I would play this out. If it works good if not oh we’ll. I’d come back to Boone find something in the athletics dept. to keep me around football and enjoy life. But I guess that type of thinking is why no one ever offered me 6 mil to do anything.
Guys like Satt have a different drive.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:34 pm

He has a chance to have a very good year next year with Cunningham coming back. They lost several games this season they could have easily won and they weren't necessarily because of coaching decisions. Cunningham slipped on the last play of the game against Clemson on the 3 yard line, a missed chipshot FG on the last play of game against UVA, 3 points against WF. Personally I hope he has a great year. I don't understand the negative feelings about Coach Satterfield???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:25 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:36 am
NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:25 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:56 pm
Think he regrets leaving us?
Not one bit $$$$$

Taxes will eat up his long term financial windfall from Lewey ville. So as far as one said his family is set for life...that's a maybe and that's all.
Bullshit, the kind of money he made is life changing. No, he can’t go out and buy multi-million dollar mansions and a Lamborghini but one would have a hard time spending even half that money on a normal life. Just return normal percentages and most likely he would never even touch the principal.
Bull shit right back atcha.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:21 pm

6,000,000 x 6% is $360,000 a year. He would live pretty good in Boone on $360,000/year. A little above middle class in Boone, NC. He had some pretty nice bonuses from App before he made that money. I think he will have good year at Louisville next year and will leave because it is not a good fit for him. I did zero research before this post so maybe he is still under contract next year at Louisville.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:58 am
I agree about the crappy Satt comments. This thread is stupid and among the worst started. Was Satt obligated to stay forever in Boone? He got offered a great gig (despite the dumpster fire aspect) and did great while here. He could have bolted and left us with an empty roster. We have been fine also despite the glass half-empty guys who can’t accept some losses.

Correction. Satterfield WAS an App guy for life. Now he is a Cardinal P-5 money man. If he was an App guy, he would have said something like "The promise of being a rich guy (and family) takes a back seat to just being comfortable for the rest of our lives and building a dynasty the right way in the University and mountains we love."

He may find out money and prestige aren't everything. Doing what, where, and with the people you love is far more important. Having said that, I'm probably weak enough to have taken the path Satterfield chose but regret it later. Maybe I'm just an idealist.

Thankfully for him and us, he didn't burn any bridges. He would be welcomed back in Boone any day in almost any role.

He loved Appalachian, but just how much did he love it?
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Correction. Satterfield WAS an App guy for life. Now he is a Cardinal P-5 money man. If he was an App guy, he would have said something like "The promise of being a rich guy (and family) takes a back seat to just being comfortable for the rest of our lives and building a dynasty the right way in the University and mountains we love."

He may find out money and prestige aren't everything. Doing what, where, and with the people you love is far more important. Having said that, I'm probably weak enough to have taken the path Satterfield chose but regret it later. Maybe I'm just an idealist.

Thankfully for him and us, he didn't burn any bridges. He would be welcomed back in Boone any day in almost any role.

I would challenge your statement that he didn’t burn any bridges. I’m sure that the relationship is salvageable, but I don’t think he comes back with out some fence mending.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:42 pm

Should coaches not strive to prove themselves at the highest level they deem possible?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:38 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 pm
NewApp wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

I would challenge your statement that he didn’t burn any bridges. I’m sure that the relationship is salvageable, but I don’t think he comes back with out some fence mending.
You may be right, but not as many fences as some others who left us,,,like CC for instance.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:42 pm
Should coaches not strive to prove themselves at the highest level they deem possible?

Not necessarily. Look at how many great coaches remained at lesser positions even though offered the money and prestige at higher level schools. And how many assistant coaches passed up head coaching positions. Just an observation. Not wanting to quarrel.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:46 am

Depends on what the individual coach wants , and needs I suppose. Most strive for the gold it seems , but not all.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Not necessarily. Look at how many great coaches remained at lesser positions even though offered the money and prestige at higher level schools. And how many assistant coaches passed up head coaching positions. Just an observation. Not wanting to quarrel.
Ok...give me some names
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:01 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 am
NewApp wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Ok...give me some names
Pay attention. many in I-AA. Many assistant coaches who prove their mettle but stay put. Not unheard of. Also some of the past greats in HBCU's.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”