Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2022 UNC Game

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2022 UNC Game

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:13 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 pm
Friday nights would not sit well with high school coaches,
Nor the parents of HS players (i.e. me)!!! Lol… selfishly, I’d take Thursday before Friday (but pray for Saturday). The place would still be at absolute capacity if the game is played at midnight on Monday!
Having started a high school athletic booster club and trying to support the program from scratch I will never go to a Friday night game. It is a selfish pigheaded move by college teams to play on Friday night. These universities need to grow a pair and tell ESPN it is not going to happen.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:50 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:13 am
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Nor the parents of HS players (i.e. me)!!! Lol… selfishly, I’d take Thursday before Friday (but pray for Saturday). The place would still be at absolute capacity if the game is played at midnight on Monday!
Having started a high school athletic booster club and trying to support the program from scratch I will never go to a Friday night game. It is a selfish pigheaded move by college teams to play on Friday night. These universities need to grow a pair and tell ESPN it is not going to happen.
Ok

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:54 am

Sad to say..that ship has sailed and the dock is no longer in site. I am not going to boycott an App. St. game because we have to move because the mother ship makes us. To each his own. If it was one of the games I had planned to attend, I will be there.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:54 am
Sad to say..that ship has sailed and the dock is no longer in site. I am not going to boycott an App. St. game because we have to move because the mother ship makes us. To each his own. If it was one of the games I had planned to attend, I will be there.
It's not boycotting, it's the fact that for many of us, Friday night games are impossible to attend. Several college coaches feel our settiment and, if vocal enough, can do something about it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:52 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
It's not boycotting, it's the fact that for many of us, Friday night games are impossible to attend. Several college coaches feel our settiment and, if vocal enough, can do something about it.
The only coach who can do something about it usually plays the 3:30 game on CBS.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 am

bcoach wrote:
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So, by growing a pair, do you mean these universities need to lose up to half their athletic budget every year and not be in a conference?

It's not the schools doing. It's the conference contract with ESPN. Without a conference, App athletics would not exist.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:42 am

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I did not say you were boycotting. I said "I" am not boycotting m I did not reply to your response. There are a myriad of reasons people cannot attend a particular game. One of which attending a college game that conflicts with a high school game on Friday night. It can be they are a coach, parent of player, volunteer at games, etc. My wife and I still attend a game or two at the high school my daughters attended even though our daughters have since graduated. Several years ago, when the PAC 10 conference commissioner was trying to get more exposure throughout the US for PAC 10 football, the PAC 10 started playing some games on Friday night. Some of my friends and co-workers said they would never watch as it conflicts with high school football. To each their own personal cause. If I am at home any night of the week and a good football game is on, I am probably in. It sure beats the regular programming on most channels.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:48 am

I believe college sports can better balance student athlete needs, fans, media rights and $ from TV games.

I think the NCAA or at least our conference should work with the media to ensure that no school plays more than one game out of 12 regular season games on a weekday night.

As you all know, we played 4 games on either Wednesday or Thursday. I know we are a good brand, but we got used and abused this past season.

I’m also in favor of no bowl games beginning before noon.

Merry Christmas App Brothers. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 am

bcoach wrote:
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
As I quite often say to your posts: BINGO, Exactamundo, Bravo, Oy Veh, Right on. I've never been to any game on a HS football Friday night except high school games (most of which I was on the side lines for decades). In the winter and Spring we go to Checkers games.
Last edited by NewApp on Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am

I wonder how much things will change for the better financially for App once the Belt gets more regionalized? It’s a given that we must play the weeknight games for the TV revenue and that added revenue helps pay for the volleyball team to fly to Texas and Louisiana for games. Cutting down on flying, especially for the non-revenue sports has got to be huge. I have personally advocated for this realignment for years. It just makes way too much sense for mid-tier schools like us to keep a majority of our conference closer. Our home conference games should all be sellouts and more fans will have reasonable opportunities to drive to away games as well. I love the Thursday night game- when it’s on, but hate it come Saturday afternoon when we ain’t playing.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:48 am
I believe college sports can better balance student athlete needs, fans, media rights and $ from TV games.

I think the NCAA or at least our conference should work with the media to ensure that no school plays more than one game out of 12 regular season games on a weekday night.

As you all know, we played 4 games on either Wednesday or Thursday. I know we are a good brand, but we got used and abused this past season.

Makes sense. Why has no one else said this?
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:32 am

As far as NC is concerned...wasn't it ECU who first played on a Friday night and didn't they get a lot of flack from HS coaches and college recruiters? Memory is shot.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:38 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:48 am

Makes sense. Why has no one else said this?
In theory sure. But does ESPN desire to air ULM or Texas St on a weeknight?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:20 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 am
bcoach wrote:
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So, by growing a pair, do you mean these universities need to lose up to half their athletic budget every year and not be in a conference?

It's not the schools doing. It's the conference contract with ESPN. Without a conference, App athletics would not exist.
What do you mean not be in a conference? I don't believe I said anything about not being in a conference. The schools run the conference. The conferences need to come together and negotiate as a unit. Every time I hear ESPN runs the show I want to vomit. When you negotiate you need to know who holds the cards. There is football without ESPN but there is no ESPN without football. The mindset of ESPN having the upper hand reminds me of the negotiation between NC State and the Hurricanes. State felt they had the upper hand. One of the concessions the Hurricanes made to get something they wanted was to consent to making the seats red. Peter Karmanos Jr. got that stadium built the way he wanted it because he could negotiate. If college football said we are not playing on Friday night they would not play on Friday night and there is not a damn thing ESPN could do about it. It is all about doing the right thing. So I repeat they need to grow a pair. Just for those of you who don't follow hockey the Hurricanes colors are black and RED.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:27 am

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:20 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 am
bcoach wrote:
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

What do you mean not be in a conference? I don't believe I said anything about not being in a conference. The schools run the conference. The conferences need to come together and negotiate as a unit. Every time I hear ESPN runs the show I want to vomit. When you negotiate you need to know who holds the cards. There is football without ESPN but there is no ESPN without football. The mindset of ESPN having the upper hand reminds me of the negotiation between NC State and the Hurricanes. State felt they had the upper hand. One of the concessions the Hurricanes made to get something they wanted was to consent to making the seats red. Peter Karmanos Jr. got that stadium built the way he wanted it because he could negotiate. If college football said we are not playing on Friday night they would not play on Friday night and there is not a damn thing ESPN could do about it. It is all about doing the right thing. So I repeat they need to grow a pair. Just for those of you who don't follow hockey the Hurricanes colors are black and RED.
Bottom line -- programs with similar budgets as us will not survive without ESPN money. ESPN will survive without the G5 conferences.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:45 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
I wonder how much things will change for the better financially for App once the Belt gets more regionalized? It’s a given that we must play the weeknight games for the TV revenue and that added revenue helps pay for the volleyball team to fly to Texas and Louisiana for games. Cutting down on flying, especially for the non-revenue sports has got to be huge. I have personally advocated for this realignment for years. It just makes way too much sense for mid-tier schools like us to keep a majority of our conference closer. Our home conference games should all be sellouts and more fans will have reasonable opportunities to drive to away games as well. I love the Thursday night game- when it’s on, but hate it come Saturday afternoon when we ain’t playing.
ESPN is also believed to be upping their payout to $2 million per school beginning in July 2022. So along with reduced travel, you have increased revenue. With that increased payout comes broadcasts on linear network channels in numbers closer to the AAC which improves visibility and branding possibilities.

There's a lot of potential here now.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:48 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 am
bcoach wrote:
booneboy92 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
As I quite often say to your posts: BINGO, Exactamundo, Bravo, Oy Veh, Right on. I've never been to any game on a HS football Friday night except high school games (most of which I was on the side lines for decades). In the winter and Spring we go to Checkers games.
Well, would you rather play this game on ESPN3 on a Saturday? If there are two options: Friday at 7:00 PM on ESPN or Saturday at noon on ESPN3, which do you take?

Obviously some are going to say BUT WATAUGA, HIBRITEN, SOUTH CALDWELL, WEST CALDWELL, AVERY, FORSYTH, GUILFORD, MECKLENBURG, HICKORY, etc. but the fact remains that this game will set an attendance record and have very, very high viewership.

It's a small price to pay for one Friday night game, and Apps first that I remember since 2007 against Wofford.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:44 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:45 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
ESPN is also believed to be upping their payout to $2 million per school beginning in July 2022. So along with reduced travel, you have increased revenue. With that increased payout comes broadcasts on linear network channels in numbers closer to the AAC which improves visibility and branding possibilities.

There's a lot of potential here now.
Plus, increased ticket and concession sales as it should bring in more regionally-based opponent fans.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:10 pm

There is no way this should be on accn (in addition to ESPN) without much additional $$$$.
Bring Your A Game!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:45 pm

My biggest concern is that we will be overlooking weak opponent like UNC because we are looking ahead to Texas A&M.

We cannot play down to our opponent.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”