Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Frank Ponce

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Frank Ponce

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:58 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:50 pm
QB1 CB throws best deep ball of the FBS are
QB1 ZT most mobile of the FBS era.
QB1 TL best game manager of the FBS era.

Ready to see QB1 CB do all three Saturday.
AE was all this and then some. Crazy talent.
I won’t debate this. But Armanti had KRich for his two Nattys.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:29 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

Agree, I did not want to bring the GOAT into this. Just wanted to focus on since we moved up to FBS.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:22 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:06 am

He did about as good a job as Peterson.
Man you are absolutely insane if you really believe this. Go back and watch the games from last year, or watch Illinois this year since he’s still running the exact same plays. It’s BAD. And Ponce has experience as an excuse, Peterson does not.
3rd down completion % last year 51%. This year it was 36% which is the lowest it has been since joining FBS. I realize that is just one statistic, but what has shown to be an appreciable output of production this year over last?
App had almost 1,000 more rushing yards this year, almost 1,000 more passing yards this year, averaged more points per game, and fewer penalties. In fact the only statistic that I see was better last year than 3rd down % is time of possession.
Then there’s also the most important statistic- we won more games this year, specifically in conference.
Check your math again. We are averaging 428 yards per game this year versus 452 in 2020. Off field issues are what they were. But people were frustrated with the offense last year and the lack of in game adjustments from a guy that was learning our offense. This year we have a play caller, familiar with our offense, and with better weapons and we are still complaining about the same stuff with adjustments. You are free to disagree. No harm. But the numbers related to productivity do not lie.
You’re right, I was looking at the wrong numbers.
I still think you’re a fool for thinking Ponce isn’t any better than Peterson.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:04 am

To each his own. Same frustration and less production led to my comments from an
X’s and O’s Perspective.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:54 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:22 am
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Man you are absolutely insane if you really believe this. Go back and watch the games from last year, or watch Illinois this year since he’s still running the exact same plays. It’s BAD. And Ponce has experience as an excuse, Peterson does not.
3rd down completion % last year 51%. This year it was 36% which is the lowest it has been since joining FBS. I realize that is just one statistic, but what has shown to be an appreciable output of production this year over last?
App had almost 1,000 more rushing yards this year, almost 1,000 more passing yards this year, averaged more points per game, and fewer penalties. In fact the only statistic that I see was better last year than 3rd down % is time of possession.
Then there’s also the most important statistic- we won more games this year, specifically in conference.
Check your math again. We are averaging 428 yards per game this year versus 452 in 2020. Off field issues are what they were. But people were frustrated with the offense last year and the lack of in game adjustments from a guy that was learning our offense. This year we have a play caller, familiar with our offense, and with better weapons and we are still complaining about the same stuff with adjustments. You are free to disagree. No harm. But the numbers related to productivity do not lie.
You’re right, I was looking at the wrong numbers.
I still think you’re a fool for thinking Ponce isn’t any better than Peterson.
We can all think whatever we want, but the actual numbers tell the story. I wasn't a fan of Peterson. I didn't like the way he called the games. I was a big fan of the Ponce hire. I thought things would get back to what we have become accustomed to. But, at the end of the year and looking at the numbers, there is no evidence that Ponce is any better than Peterson was.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:07 am

One could argue Peterson production was better given the various players out during the year due to covid protocols. I was one that wanted a change primarily due to it appeared players were not having fun. I like the idea of what Ponce can become as he becomes more experienced. Just a personal preference, I like balance between pass and the run.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:48 am

This was Ponce's first year as play caller. There's room for improvement but in year one he matched and slightly exceeded what our former guy with multiple years of experience could muster.

How's that for half-full?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:30 pm

I would also add that he wasn’t playing with the stacked deck that many think. Some of the parts were good but not ideal and he made it work.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am
I don't disagree with you ericsaid. I lean towards wanting a more stable pocket passer and some hogmollys to hold the pocket. Henni is definitely a possession guy, but Corey can seperate and was definitely an underutilized weapon. A like a good dual threat QB, but nothing is sexier than a rainbow deep ball dropping into an extended receivers arms.
Here is a question, how has losing Shawn Clark as the offensive line coach hurt App's player development? There are some Uber talented guys coming up as well as Hunter and Hodges playing in 2021, I believe Hidges is back in 2022.

Nic Cardwell is an App State guy through and through and is an awesome recruiter, I'm sure, much like Clark. However how has he taken to coaching the offensive line? Louisiana has two offensive line coaches, one of whom is a former NFL assistant I believe, and you see how they play.

App is great in run blocking up front but they have had breakdowns you never used to see pre-2020. Some of that I attitude to losing Colin Reed who was an offensive tackle of a man by the time he graduated.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:56 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm
proasu89 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

I won’t debate this. But Armanti had KRich for his two Nattys.
Didn't Devon Moore play more in the 2007 game, or am I remembering it wrong? I know he had a huge run on a 99 yard drive. Believe it was three or four plays and all the chunk plays were handoffs to Moore. As I remember it, Richardson was ailing that night against UD.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:30 pm

Richardson ran for 118 and a score. Fumbled another into the endzone recovered by Kilgore and had 2 receiving TDs.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:40 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am
I don't disagree with you ericsaid. I lean towards wanting a more stable pocket passer and some hogmollys to hold the pocket. Henni is definitely a possession guy, but Corey can seperate and was definitely an underutilized weapon. A like a good dual threat QB, but nothing is sexier than a rainbow deep ball dropping into an extended receivers arms.
Here is a question, how has losing Shawn Clark as the offensive line coach hurt App's player development? There are some Uber talented guys coming up as well as Hunter and Hodges playing in 2021, I believe Hidges is back in 2022.

Nic Cardwell is an App State guy through and through and is an awesome recruiter, I'm sure, much like Clark. However how has he taken to coaching the offensive line? Louisiana has two offensive line coaches, one of whom is a former NFL assistant I believe, and you see how they play.

App is great in run blocking up front but they have had breakdowns you never used to see pre-2020. Some of that I attitude to losing Colin Reed who was an offensive tackle of a man by the time he graduated.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:18 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

It appears you both need to check your math again...

2020: 5424 total yards, 284 total first downs, 52 TDs
2021: 5569 total yards, 294 total first downs, 56 TDs

So, if you don't see having more yards, more TDs, and more first downs as a better offense, then that's on you.

The problem with the offense last year wasn't what was called. The problem with the offense was the OC not listening to the players on the field. That changed this year and it's showed. You don't see the QB throwing his arms in the air when a play is signaled in. You don't see the OLine visibly upset or liking social media posts about the play calling. You don't see the WRs arguing with the coaches.

Bottom line -- Peterson was not liked by the team. Ponce is.
You are 100% correct about Peterson and the players. I can back you up on this for sure. I know you are correct as players and their parents have told me the exact thing. Peterson wouldn't listen to the players at all. One player's parents didn't want him to come back because of Peterson. App State New you know who that is, but I will NEVER say on here who it was. Best thing that ever happened was Peterson leaving App State. And yes, it did show this season.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 am

At least this year EVERY first down play wasn’t the same one. And not totally vanilla. If we can get to neapolitan we’re headed in the right direction.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:44 am

1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 am
At least this year EVERY first down play wasn’t the same one. And not totally vanilla. If we can get to neapolitan we’re headed in the right direction.
AMEN
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 pm

Southern has hired WKU's co-OC as OC. .I'm certain it's mere coincidence.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 pm
Southern has hired WKU's co-OC as OC. .I'm certain it's mere coincidence.
Of that Helton’s brother is the coach at WKU.

Budman2154

Unread post by Budman2154 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:55 pm

I’ve seen multiple comments about Brice not being a DT QB and that’s what Ponce needs to run his system. Had our recruiting at the QB position been so bad that we had no choice but to take Brice from the portal instead of someone already on the roster? Wasn’t Ponce here during the time some of these guys we have recruited. This is no indictment of Brice but we knew what we had in him when we got him.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:04 pm

Budman2154 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:55 pm
I’ve seen multiple comments about Brice not being a DT QB and that’s what Ponce needs to run his system. Had our recruiting at the QB position been so bad that we had no choice but to take Brice from the portal instead of someone already on the roster? Wasn’t Ponce here during the time some of these guys we have recruited. This is no indictment of Brice but we knew what we had in him when we got him.
Brice was being courted before Ponce was brought in. With the exception of Huesman, none of the QBs on our roster this year were here when Ponce was around. We know that Huesman came back late, but even if he was coming back from the onset, we would still have gone to the portal for a QB. DBG, Shuler and Tabscott were not his choice. Neither was Rozman from this class.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:45 pm

Ponce is no fool. Given defensive alignments and capabilities of our offensive players, he is going to run the plays he believes give us the best chance to move the ball. In spite of all the intel we had on App player injuries, I believe things were worse than Clark and the staff shared. That's understandable to a certain point since you don't want your opponents to see how injuries will affect your play at every position. This was what we learned after the 2020 season.

I'll given Coach Ponce the benefit of the doubt and watch closely how he performs in 2022, given the significant personnel changes we'll see. I really would like to see some twists on offense, like working TE's into the passing game on a regular basis, etc.

Re: Brice, the guy needs to work on decision making in the pocket. He took a significant number of coverage sacks last year, needs to make quicker decisions to either throw OOB or tuck & run. He's actually not a bad runner; he moved the chains and/or got us out of significant jams with his legs a number of times. In his defense, building some mid-range slants, drags, etc. into the playbook might help him get the ball out more quickly.

Also, Brice has a cannon of an arm, but accuracy was hit or miss this past season. I really hope his passing game will become more consistent between now and August. When Brice was hot, those dimes he threw were things of beauty. Great young man and I still believe he has more potential.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”