Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Frank Ponce

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Frank Ponce

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:03 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:06 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am
May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
He did about as good a job as Peterson.
Man you are absolutely insane if you really believe this. Go back and watch the games from last year, or watch Illinois this year since he’s still running the exact same plays. It’s BAD. And Ponce has experience as an excuse, Peterson does not.
Not only that, ask the players. Especially Huesman. The Uncle Sam reason Clark gave when Huesman came back isn't the full story. Huesman initially left because of Peterson. So did Zac. If Ponce was here already, both would have been here this year.

Unfortunately, Zac had already signed with an agent when everything was finalized, so he didn't have the option.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:07 pm

MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
Man you are absolutely insane if you really believe this. Go back and watch the games from last year, or watch Illinois this year since he’s still running the exact same plays. It’s BAD. And Ponce has experience as an excuse, Peterson does not.
3rd down completion % last year 51%. This year it was 36% which is the lowest it has been since joining FBS. I realize that is just one statistic, but what has shown to be an appreciable output of production this year over last?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
3rd down completion % last year 51%. This year it was 36% which is the lowest it has been since joining FBS. I realize that is just one statistic, but what has shown to be an appreciable output of production this year over last?
App had almost 1,000 more rushing yards this year, almost 1,000 more passing yards this year, averaged more points per game, and fewer penalties. In fact the only statistic that I see was better last year than 3rd down % is time of possession.
Then there’s also the most important statistic- we won more games this year, specifically in conference.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
App had almost 1,000 more rushing yards this year, almost 1,000 more passing yards this year, averaged more points per game, and fewer penalties. In fact the only statistic that I see was better last year than 3rd down % is time of possession.
Then there’s also the most important statistic- we won more games this year, specifically in conference.
Check your math again. We are averaging 428 yards per game this year versus 452 in 2020. Off field issues are what they were. But people were frustrated with the offense last year and the lack of in game adjustments from a guy that was learning our offense. This year we have a play caller, familiar with our offense, and with better weapons and we are still complaining about the same stuff with adjustments. You are free to disagree. No harm. But the numbers related to productivity do not lie.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Check your math again. We are averaging 428 yards per game this year versus 452 in 2020. Off field issues are what they were. But people were frustrated with the offense last year and the lack of in game adjustments from a guy that was learning our offense. This year we have a play caller, familiar with our offense, and with better weapons and we are still complaining about the same stuff with adjustments. You are free to disagree. No harm. But the numbers related to productivity do not lie.
It appears you both need to check your math again...

2020: 5424 total yards, 284 total first downs, 52 TDs
2021: 5569 total yards, 294 total first downs, 56 TDs

So, if you don't see having more yards, more TDs, and more first downs as a better offense, then that's on you.

The problem with the offense last year wasn't what was called. The problem with the offense was the OC not listening to the players on the field. That changed this year and it's showed. You don't see the QB throwing his arms in the air when a play is signaled in. You don't see the OLine visibly upset or liking social media posts about the play calling. You don't see the WRs arguing with the coaches.

Bottom line -- Peterson was not liked by the team. Ponce is.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:48 am

Tweet from Brice. Another reason "In Brice I Trust"
remember it’s a privilege and a gift to be able to play ball at this level! Don’t go anywhere without getting that degree, first! Earn that & you’ll have the respect to do what YOU need to do! #NSD
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:03 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

It appears you both need to check your math again.

2020: 5424 total yards, 284 total first downs, 52 TDs 12 games
2021: 5569 total yards, 294 total first downs, 56 TDs. 13 game's

So, if you don't see having more yards, more TDs, and more first downs as a better offense, then that's on you.

The problem with the offense last year wasn't what was called. The problem with the offense was the OC not listening to the players on the field. That changed this year and it's showed. You don't see the QB throwing his arms in the air when a play is signaled in. You don't see the OLine visibly upset or liking social media posts about the play calling. You don't see the WRs arguing with the coaches.

Bottom line -- Peterson was not liked by the team. Ponce is.
You have made your point over and over that Peterson was the problem. We get it. You seem to take this personally. Now that I have figured out who you are. (You aren’t the guy that owns this account) it all makes sense. Go back and read my comments again. I said appreciable increase. So if you find a net gain of 145 yards, 10 1st downs, and 4 TDS over 13 games appreciable versus 12 games in 2020 then that’s on you.

Peace out PC.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:35 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:27 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:51 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I feel the comments at Louisiana Round 1 were telling. Clark said "sometimes the simplest game plan is the best" and a lot of times it seemed like just that, overly simple. A lot of things missing from the old Ponce/Satterfield offense. I assume the reason for the shift is that Chase isn't a true dual threat quarterback so a lot of his play sheet that is set-up by the QB being a threat to run is negated with a guy like Chase.

Ponce uses progressions to call the offense so I'd assume a lot of the screens and mis-direction are predicated on the QB run and without the QB run you can't progress to those misdirection and other deception calls.
Possibly. Should have adapted to his personnel though.
I think that he did. He just did it in a way that a lot of people here disagree with.
The game results disagreed with it too
:?
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Why are people complaining about adjustments? This was the best 2nd half App team I remember since 2007.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:53 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:35 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:27 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:51 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I feel the comments at Louisiana Round 1 were telling. Clark said "sometimes the simplest game plan is the best" and a lot of times it seemed like just that, overly simple. A lot of things missing from the old Ponce/Satterfield offense. I assume the reason for the shift is that Chase isn't a true dual threat quarterback so a lot of his play sheet that is set-up by the QB being a threat to run is negated with a guy like Chase.

Ponce uses progressions to call the offense so I'd assume a lot of the screens and mis-direction are predicated on the QB run and without the QB run you can't progress to those misdirection and other deception calls.
Possibly. Should have adapted to his personnel though.
I think that he did. He just did it in a way that a lot of people here disagree with.
The game results disagreed with it too
:?
Maybe the personnel dictated the result and not the acclimation of Ponce to what he had?

App's offensive line is mobile, generally for a mobile quarterback, moving pocket, inside and outside zone game with side line to sideline runs that all work off the QB run. They aren't a pass blocking line for a QB to drop back and chill 35 times a game.

App hasn't had an H-Back like Colin Reed who was built like a tackle and could block like a guard while running and catching like a tight end. That matters when running the outside zone.

App's receivers are not particularly adept at getting separation, so much so that Thomas Hennigan said separation is overrated. In a true downfield passing game, I'd thing 50/50 balls aren't what you want as much as App was forced to do it. Horn, Wells, and Davis all have speed to get separation that will make Brice's life quite a bit easier so long as they catch the ball. They also open the screen game up.

Truth be told, I think when App gets an intentionally mobile quarterback back you'll see the more efficient offense come back. The Ponce/Satterfield play sheet is called sequentially and I'd imagine much of that is predicated on the ability of the quarterback to run, but that's not unusual. Most teams with a quarterback who can run and throw effectively have different capabilities than those who don't.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am

I don't disagree with you ericsaid. I lean towards wanting a more stable pocket passer and some hogmollys to hold the pocket. Henni is definitely a possession guy, but Corey can seperate and was definitely an underutilized weapon. A like a good dual threat QB, but nothing is sexier than a rainbow deep ball dropping into an extended receivers arms.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:20 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am
I don't disagree with you ericsaid. I lean towards wanting a more stable pocket passer and some hogmollys to hold the pocket. Henni is definitely a possession guy, but Corey can seperate and was definitely an underutilized weapon. A like a good dual threat QB, but nothing is sexier than a rainbow deep ball dropping into an extended receivers arms.
Does a pocket passer change how we can block, scheme wise?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am

You get positives and negatives with each style. Some mobile QBs are not as accurate as more traditional pocket passing QBs. However, the runs suffer. If Levi Lewis were a better passer, the LaLa 2nd game would have not been as close. It was interesting watching him Is n person. Some passes on the money...others a one hopper to the WR. I get and agree to all the above. Unless our future mobile QB is an accurate passer similar to Brice or near Brice ... our longer passing game may be impacted. Maybe I am just stubborn in my thinking. With LaLa's defensive setup, I thought the shorter passing plays from time to time would have kept them from bringing the rushers to the QB. We did not seem to adjust so they did not have to do so.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:20 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yes. You need bigger anchors at the guard positions who can tie up more defenders/blitzers etc. Less pocket shifting and less need for contingency of a mobile QB
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:09 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yes. You need bigger anchors at the guard positions who can tie up more defenders/blitzers etc. Less pocket shifting and less need for contingency of a mobile QB
Thanks. So to me. Sticking with a Brice type long term requires the implementation of a new blocking scheme and probably some different skill sets in your OL. I would rather ride it out with Brice and let Frank get his guys moving forward.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:09 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Thanks. So to me. Sticking with a Brice type long term requires the implementation of a new blocking scheme and probably some different skill sets in your OL. I would rather ride it out with Brice and let Frank get his guys moving forward.
I'm not sure the passing game is much different with Chase vs. Zac and Taylor. Most of our passes have always been from the pocket but Zac and Taylor both moved better than Chase and were more of a run threat. It appeared to me that neither Zac nor Taylor really ran through reads, thus the passes were quicker. Chase is more comfortable in the pocket and reads the progressions better and can allow deep routes to develop. That does require the Oline to block longer but I think our OL is big enough to give that time with the proper technique and scheme recognition up front. That part takes good coaching and hard work in practice. I'm hoping Nic keeps improving as an Oline coach and gets plenty of input from Shawn.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:27 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:09 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I'm not sure the passing game is much different with Chase vs. Zac and Taylor. Most of our passes have always been from the pocket but Zac and Taylor both moved better than Chase and were more of a run threat. It appeared to me that neither Zac nor Taylor really ran through reads, thus the passes were quicker. Chase is more comfortable in the pocket and reads the progressions better and can allow deep routes to develop. That does require the Oline to block longer but I think our OL is big enough to give that time with the proper technique and scheme recognition up front. That part takes good coaching and hard work in practice. I'm hoping Nic keeps improving as an Oline coach and gets plenty of input from Shawn.
It’s not so much the play as it is the player. As pointed out. Zac and Taylor were guys that you had to account for taking off and running. That means one less guy the defense can blitz. The blocking scheme that we currently run is know to be difficult to beat when run well, which is what we do. The differences are subtle but they affect a lot of things. Interesting enough, while the line has had to hold blocks longer, sacks are down this year.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Right. You can only block so many guys, that's why the less mobile/more pocket style QBs thrive with bigger lineman who can tie up 1-2 defenders on any given down. You don't have to sustain the block per se, just initiate and slow them down. We have had a history of talented linemen, good footwork and technique, but almost always undersized. 1 on 1, they can grt the job done, but 2 on 1, letting the RB leak out, and buying the QB extra time requires size/girth. You can't teach that.
The Appalachian State

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:50 pm

QB1 CB throws best deep ball of the FBS are
QB1 ZT most mobile of the FBS era.
QB1 TL best game manager of the FBS era.

Ready to see QB1 CB do all three Saturday.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:58 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:50 pm
QB1 CB throws best deep ball of the FBS are
QB1 ZT most mobile of the FBS era.
QB1 TL best game manager of the FBS era.

Ready to see QB1 CB do all three Saturday.
AE was all this and then some. Crazy talent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”