Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Frank Ponce

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Frank Ponce

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:00 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:42 pm
In the ULL case, they had “analyst” that were monitoring our signals. In fact, sometimes it seemed like they knew our plays before we did.
Perhaps it wasn’t so much a simple playbook, but rather they were ready for it.
Well we can go back to a huddle and have a player run in the play.............

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
In the ULL case, they had “analyst” that were monitoring our signals. In fact, sometimes it seemed like they knew our plays before we did.
Honestly, not sure why we don't do this. It isn't like we run tempo much at all anyways. Most the time we just line up and look over to the side and wait for the play to be called in. If we huddle, takes out any chance of an opponent stealing the signals. It is worth a try in my book.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
Honestly, not sure why we don't do this. It isn't like we run tempo much at all anyways. Most the time we just line up and look over to the side and wait for the play to be called in. If we huddle, takes out any chance of an opponent stealing the signals. It is worth a try in my book.
But we line up, see what the defense's formation is against that line up, and call the play. Going into a huddle eliminates seeing what the defense is in prior to.

I've said it before, but if Lala was stealing signs, then that is something that should have been planned against after the first matchup. I have no doubt they were stealing signs. I also have no doubt we were stealing their signs. It's a part of college football now with the play calls not happening in the huddle as often.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 am

It’s not just stealing signs, it is also analytics: field position, down/distance, personnel. I’m sure they have charted every film they got hands on. The use of computers (since the 1980’s) has made this easier and faster.
Bring Your A Game!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:29 am

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 am
What we armchair coordinators have to remember is that we don't break down opponent's film like the coaches do nor do we actually put together a game plan. It's not as easy as we like to imagine it to be. There's more to play calling than just thinking, "hey, a jet sweep might work here." There are so many variables that occur that make a play work or keep it from working: down and distance, defensive tendencies, personnel, to name a few. There is also a defensive coordinator who has been and is game planning to stop the offense. And sometimes dudes just make plays. It's also important to remember that a play that "doesn't work" in the first quarter many times is run just to make another play work in the third quarter. It's easy to second guess from the stands, the recliner, or the couch, but that's all we're doing, second guessing. As we all know, hindsight is 20/20 and I would bet good money that Ponce and Co. are using it as well. But as much as plans are made and plays are called to be successful, sometimes, like I said earlier, dudes just make plays. That's the biggest variable.
Some of us actually understand the dynamics of coaching and gameplanning. I won't argue that i still consider myself an "arm chair coordinator", but I do have a better grasp than the average fan in addition to coaching experience at the high school level. There were some glaring issues with our overall offensive scheme, utilization of skill players this year, and adjustments in games. Thats just facts. I have ideas, but I leave the true evaluation and answers to come from Clark on down.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:29 am
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 am
What we armchair coordinators have to remember is that we don't break down opponent's film like the coaches do nor do we actually put together a game plan. It's not as easy as we like to imagine it to be. There's more to play calling than just thinking, "hey, a jet sweep might work here." There are so many variables that occur that make a play work or keep it from working: down and distance, defensive tendencies, personnel, to name a few. There is also a defensive coordinator who has been and is game planning to stop the offense. And sometimes dudes just make plays. It's also important to remember that a play that "doesn't work" in the first quarter many times is run just to make another play work in the third quarter. It's easy to second guess from the stands, the recliner, or the couch, but that's all we're doing, second guessing. As we all know, hindsight is 20/20 and I would bet good money that Ponce and Co. are using it as well. But as much as plans are made and plays are called to be successful, sometimes, like I said earlier, dudes just make plays. That's the biggest variable.
Some of us actually understand the dynamics of coaching and gameplanning. I won't argue that i still consider myself an "arm chair coordinator", but I do have a better grasp than the average fan in addition to coaching experience at the high school level. There were some glaring issues with our overall offensive scheme, utilization of skill players this year, and adjustments in games. Thats just facts. I have ideas, but I leave the true evaluation and answers to come from Clark on down.
You bring up an interesting point and one that I had to think about from a different perspective. Could some of these frustrations be attributed to some comparisons to what we have seen in the past? Last year looked different due to the play caller and some personnel differences. This year it’s the familiar play caller, albeit his first true year calling them, with a QB that isn’t quite what he is used to having in terms of skill set. Could be a mixture of figuring out how to utilize the skills of the player. Zac was a one read and go guy. Chase will stand in the pocket to allow time for his guys to get open. Seems subtle, but both styles affect the stresses put on the other units within the offense.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 am
appstatealum wrote:
You bring up an interesting point and one that I had to think about from a different perspective. Could some of these frustrations be attributed to some comparisons to what we have seen in the past? Last year looked different due to the play caller and some personnel differences. This year it’s the familiar play caller, albeit his first true year calling them, with a QB that isn’t quite what he is used to having in terms of skill set. Could be a mixture of figuring out how to utilize the skills of the player. Zac was a one read and go guy. Chase will stand in the pocket to allow time for his guys to get open. Seems subtle, but both styles affect the stresses put on the other units within the offense.
I think it's exactly this. Ponce is used to a QB that is a running threat. Brice, while he can run some, is not a running threat. The previous years we've beat Lala, a large reason is because they had to spy on the QB. Both Lamb and Thomas were quick enough, they could do damage if the spy crashes on the play action. With Brice, they didn't have to have a spy -- which allowed one more in the box filling a gap.

Another thing most aren't talking about is the pass blocking by the RBs. A reason Noel was RB1 for a large portion of the season (outside of injury) is because he is the best pass pro RB we have. He may be the smallest, but he understands the reads and will throw his body in the way. I love Cam as much as the next person, but even he will tell you, he needs to improve on that.

Third is Brice has a cannon of an arm. Something we haven't had in the past. He can throw the deep ball so we took (seemingly) many more shots downfield than years past as well.

These three things are the reason we didn't use the TEs or RB screens as much as years past, in my opinion. The TEs needed to stay in to block more often (due to one more defender typically in the box), RBs were poor on blitz pickup, and more deep shots were taken to the WRs.

I am excited for some wrinkles on the bowl game I have heard about.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 am
appstatealum wrote:
I think it's exactly this. Ponce is used to a QB that is a running threat. Brice, while he can run some, is not a running threat. The previous years we've been Lala, a large reason is because they had to spy on the QB. Both Lamb and Thomas were quick enough, they could do damage if the spy crashes on the play action. With Brice, they didn't have to have a spy -- which allowed one more in the box filling a gap.

Another thing most aren't talking about is the pass blocking by the RBs. A reason Noel was RB1 for a large portion of the season (outside of injury) is because he is the best pass pro RB we have. He may be the smallest, but he understands the reads and will throw his body in the way. I love Cam as much as the next person, but even he will tell you, he needs to improve on that.

Third is Brice has a cannon of an arm. Something we haven't had in the past. He can throw the deep ball so we took (seemingly) many more shots downfield than years past as well.

These three things are the reason we didn't use the TEs or RB screens as much as years past, in my opinion. The TEs needed to stay in to block more often (due to one more defender typically in the box), RBs were poor on blitz pickup, and more deep shots were taken to the WRs.

I am excited for some wrinkles on the bowl game I have heard about.
Thanks. I will say this and some may disagree. As much as I like Cam and Daetrich, Noel is the most complete back, out of the box, first day back that we have had since Marcus Cox.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:55 am

I luv our Backs but I always focus on good nasty linemen.....they can make backs look very good or very bad

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:50 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:55 am
I luv our Backs but I always focus on good nasty linemen.....they can make backs look very good or very bad
I’ll add to my post here. As it was explained to me by one of our current OL. The blocking concept that we use is designed to exploit gaps in the defense. Very much like an option team. The goal is to get the defense all moving in a certain direction with the hope that one guy doesn’t fill his gap. As stated above, when you don’t have to spy a QB, it allows the defense to stay home and assignment sound.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:50 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
I’ll add to my post here. As it was explained to me by one of our current OL. The concept that we use is designed to exploit gaps in the defense. Very much like an option team. The goal is to get the defense all moving in a certain direction with the hope that one guy doesn’t fill his gap. As stated above, when you don’t have to spy a QB, it allows the defense to stay home and assignment sound.
Well what about a 2 back set with Play action?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I’ll add to my post here. As it was explained to me by one of our current OL. The concept that we use is designed to exploit gaps in the defense. Very much like an option team. The goal is to get the defense all moving in a certain direction with the hope that one guy doesn’t fill his gap. As stated above, when you don’t have to spy a QB, it allows the defense to stay home and assignment sound.
Well what about a 2 back set with Play action?
When you say two back set, are you saying offset I, two back I with a lead blocker, or a wing T look? We run an offset look with a H Back.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm

I have always thought we may throw a 2 back set in T formation to keep D guessing which RB and which gap. Then also could run RB screens out of it and of course the play action should be viable as well after a few runs/screens (fake the screen to one RB then wheel route to other RB).

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm

One of my favorite plays- backs in the "I"; QB under center; reverse-out and pitch to tailback. This would work well with our zone blocking scheme and Cam. See third play in linked video.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I’ll add to my post here. As it was explained to me by one of our current OL. The blocking concept that we use is designed to exploit gaps in the defense. Very much like an option team. The goal is to get the defense all moving in a certain direction with the hope that one guy doesn’t fill his gap. As stated above, when you don’t have to spy a QB, it allows the defense to stay home and assignment sound.
Yes it's the base of a "zone blocking" scheme. We have utilized it and recruited for it for years dating back to Satterfield. It typically works better for us because of the size lineman we can recruit and blends well with our dual threat QBs (which we didn't have this season) and skill position guys.
The Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Short passes to TE’s and WR’s, outs to RB’s when the run game is getting stuffed

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Colin Reed. Since he graduated App has not been able to run that stretch as efficiently as they did in years past. App needs another big H-back who is capable of blocking like a tackle and running like a tight end.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:27 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:51 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am
May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
I feel the comments at Louisiana Round 1 were telling. Clark said "sometimes the simplest game plan is the best" and a lot of times it seemed like just that, overly simple. A lot of things missing from the old Ponce/Satterfield offense. I assume the reason for the shift is that Chase isn't a true dual threat quarterback so a lot of his play sheet that is set-up by the QB being a threat to run is negated with a guy like Chase.

Ponce uses progressions to call the offense so I'd assume a lot of the screens and mis-direction are predicated on the QB run and without the QB run you can't progress to those misdirection and other deception calls.
Possibly. Should have adapted to his personnel though.
I think that he did. He just did it in a way that a lot of people here disagree with.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:02 pm

brianowen wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm
One of my favorite plays- backs in the "I"; QB under center; reverse-out and pitch to tailback. This would work well with our zone blocking scheme and Cam. See third play in linked video.

Is that not what the stretch is for? It eliminates wasted motion of the pitch.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:06 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am
May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
He did about as good a job as Peterson.
Man you are absolutely insane if you really believe this. Go back and watch the games from last year, or watch Illinois this year since he’s still running the exact same plays. It’s BAD. And Ponce has experience as an excuse, Peterson does not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”