Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Frank Ponce

appstanding
School: Appalachian State

Frank Ponce

Unread post by appstanding » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 am

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board. I didn't see a post. ESPN reporting that Frank Ponce was a candidate for the now-filled head coaching position at Florida International.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ball-coach

AppSt94

Re: Frank Ponce

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:56 am

appstanding wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 am
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board. I didn't see a post. ESPN reporting that Frank Ponce was a candidate for the now-filled head coaching position at Florida International.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ball-coach
He probably was a name bantered about in the beginning. Local guy, coached there, is a coordinator. I can’t speak to his level of interest.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Well he dodged a career-killing bullet by not getting the job.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am

May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:06 am

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am
May be an unpopular opinion, but I felt Ponce mismanaged our offensive talent and his play design/play calling depreciated as the season went on. I'm sure I'll get a few "arm chair OC" comments and the like, but I dont speak from a casual fan perspective.
He did about as good a job as Peterson.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:06 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yeah. Which my comment can apply to as well. I love this team and this program, but I also feel like we should be compounding our success, not just maintaining it or clinging to it. There are many factors that apply to that happening, so I'm not isolating that to Ponce or Clark or Doug etc. Hell, we as alumni can help with that as well through YC. My point is, this was one ofnthebmost talented offenses I've felt like we've ever had and total picture, it felt a little underwhelming.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:34 am

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:29 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yeah. Which my comment can apply to as well. I love this team and this program, but I also feel like we should be compounding our success, not just maintaining it or clinging to it. There are many factors that apply to that happening, so I'm not isolating that to Ponce or Clark or Doug etc. Hell, we as alumni can help with that as well through YC. My point is, this was one ofnthebmost talented offenses I've felt like we've ever had and total picture, it felt a little underwhelming.
I can’t disagree with you.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am

Totally agree....offense was very vanilla, very predictable.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:34 am
appstatealum wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I think there were improvements from last year on play calling, scratching my head on RB rotation. He should learn from mistakes and build on his experience.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Just comparing our offense to 2019 due to similar talents/players - I wish we had more of a horizontal passing game implemented by *you know who* that season. More creativity in run plays/play-action. IMO, we could be utilizing Chase Brice much better to highlight his strengths and limit his weaknesses.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:34 am
appstatealum wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I think there were improvements from last year on play calling, scratching my head on RB rotation. He should learn from mistakes and build on his experience.
What was your issue with the RB rotation? Who got the carries, the way guys rotated in and out, all of the above?

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Did we ever run a screen? Also needed to utilize Tight Ends more and pass some to RBs out of backfield.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 pm

With a first time play caller in Ponce and a starting QB who did not know the playbook to the fullest extent I thought it was a decent year and I did see growth through the year. With a whole offseason to master the play book I expect to see much more from CB.

The Black & Gold Podcast episode where Zach Thomas was a guest he mentioned that it was a real struggle for him to watch games this year b/c he knows Ponce's playbook front to back and the struggles he saw from the offense this year likely stemmed from not mastering the offense yet. If that is the case we may see more from the offense next year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 pm
With a first time play caller in Ponce and a starting QB who did not know the playbook to the fullest extent I thought it was a decent year and I did see growth through the year. With a whole offseason to master the play book I expect to see much more from CB.

The Black & Gold Podcast episode where Zach Thomas was a guest he mentioned that it was a real struggle for him to watch games this year b/c he knows Ponce's playbook front to back and the struggles he saw from the offense this year likely stemmed from not mastering the offense yet. If that is the case we may see more from the offense next year.
This makes way too much fricken’ sense to be true. Great observation.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:10 pm

kornegaylw wrote:

And the hardest part for him is he likely would have come back if he knew Petersen was leaving and Ponce was coming back.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:20 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:10 pm
kornegaylw wrote:

And the hardest part for him is he likely would have come back if he knew Petersen was leaving and Ponce was coming back.
That is likely true although I've heard there were other reasons why ZT decided not to come back. I don't know what they are but people who are closer to the program have alluded to this.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:23 pm

appstatealum wrote:
You mean running the ball on 3rd and long when you have arguably the best WR duo in school history isn't normal?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:25 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:20 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

That is likely true although I've heard there were other reasons why ZT decided not to come back. I don't know what they are but people who are closer to the program have alluded to this.
The death threats from "fans" after the Coastal game certainly didn't give him the warm fuzzies and desire to stay. Not sure if that was the ultimate reason, but I would wager it had a part in his decision making.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:26 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:23 pm
appstatealum wrote:
You mean running the ball on 3rd and long when you have arguably the best WR trio/quadruple in school history isn't normal?
Fixed it for you
tAPPedInSports.net

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:39 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Zac WOULD HAVE come back if he knew Peterson was leaving and Ponce was coming back. 100% he would be playing.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”