Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm

It is time to give coach Clark a contract extension and raise. He has proven himself. When he was hired he got a similar contract as his predecessors because “he was unproven”……. that is no longer the case. He has won 20 games in two seasons beat a top 14 team and played in the SunBelt Championship. It is time. This is the market we are in. Give him a raise (to $950-1m with/through bonuses) add two years to the contract and put in a good buyout clause ($2m)…. thank him for all his efforts, and finish strong in bowl game and recruiting.

Appstate88

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:12 pm

I'm all for it if we also bring back Men's Soccer by 2023. JOIN YOSEF CLUB.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:23 pm

I respectfully disagree. He had a crazy season with COVID and this season with Brice, a one season SEC level talent we usually won't have. To be clear, I'm not suggesting we won as many games as we did because of just Brice, quite the contrary. What I am saying, is that he won 20 games with two quarterbacks that had a lot of experience and a squad he largely didn't recruit (as head coach). I'd like to see us get a little further out and see what he looks like. I personally don't think he's a flight risk like Eli and Scott were, which gives us some time to see what we really have with him. He seems like a humble and truly great guy and while money talks, I think the only way out of the head coaching position for Shawn Clark at Appalachian State is a la Jerry Moore.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm

I don't agree that this year should be discounted because of Brice. In fact, Brice was a talent that he DID recruit, although from the portal. Regarding the super seniors, I guess it's true that Clark didn't recruit them, but he is a big part of the reason they remained. I'm fine with waiting another year before an extension is granted given all the unusual finances we are dealing with, but if I wouldn't object if we move forward with an extension either.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:30 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm
It is time to give coach Clark a contract extension and raise. He has proven himself. When he was hired he got a similar contract as his predecessors because “he was unproven”……. that is no longer the case. He has won 20 games in two seasons beat a top 14 team and played in the SunBelt Championship. It is time. This is the market we are in. Give him a raise (to $950-1m with/through bonuses) add two years to the contract and put in a good buyout clause ($2m)…. thank him for all his efforts, and finish strong in bowl game and recruiting.
I can see an argument to raise his salary to pay him compared to what Chadwell makes but I don't think that would effect whether he stays and 100k is not a big deal. I don't see any reason to raise his buyout for any reason unless he is begging for that and I don't think he would do that.

The other factor in this is our ability to pay it. We just don't have the money to throw around and add to a buyout when we don't have to do it.

I would say let's judge Shawn on where we are in year 3 because I believe that is when you fully know the trajectory of your program under that coach. The only way I believe in giving a big raise is if a coach is winning league titles or firing them only if they drop in win totals and things look like a huge mess.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm
I don't agree that this year should be discounted because of Brice. In fact, Brice was a talent that he DID recruit, although from the portal. Regarding the super seniors, I guess it's true that Clark didn't recruit them, but he is a big part of the reason they remained. I'm fine with waiting another year before an extension is granted given all the unusual finances we are dealing with, but if I wouldn't object if we move forward with an extension either.
Just from a money standpoint and being fair I think seeing how it looks next year would be ideal. We should be in better shape financially and year 3 is the first year where I think a coach can be fairly judged. These schools who make decisions before the end of year 3 often regret them. Look at the ADs who gave massive buyouts after just one double digit win season and then had to fire the coach and pay millions to them for firing them early. I just don't want to see us getting in a situation where we have to pay 300-500k buyout to a coach that we can't afford.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:46 pm

Yosef wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:23 pm
I respectfully disagree. He had a crazy season with COVID and this season with Brice, a one season SEC level talent we usually won't have. To be clear, I'm not suggesting we won as many games as we did because of just Brice, quite the contrary. What I am saying, is that he won 20 games with two quarterbacks that had a lot of experience and a squad he largely didn't recruit (as head coach). I'd like to see us get a little further out and see what he looks like. I personally don't think he's a flight risk like Eli and Scott were, which gives us some time to see what we really have with him. He seems like a humble and truly great guy and while money talks, I think the only way out of the head coaching position for Shawn Clark at Appalachian State is a la Jerry Moore.
I don’t think I can say it any better than you. I’ll add we beat who we should have beat and lost to the others for two years now. That’s a hurdle he has to get over. 10 wins is something special that’s for sure. I will say given what he’s got on the horizon for next year .. losing a lot of seniority… I think we’ll see what he’s made of at the end of next year.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 pm

To be fair Clark has only had one “real” year but that year was loaded with talent. I haven’t gone through a bunch of stats but the eye test says we didn’t improve and may have regressed from 2019. I’m still a fan and want Coach Clark to have every chance to succeed. We are still a young FBS team and with our record and reputation we should be able to recruit players and coaches that will make us better. The jury is still out.

AEB4AE

Unread post by AEB4AE » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 pm

WAKE UP PEOPLE - In the age of money over loyalty , we have a guy who wants to stay and not looking to jump. He needs to be rewarded and thanked for his love of APP and his loyalty. We need to stop being 'development u' . He wants to stay REFRESHING

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm all for it if we also bring back Men's Soccer by 2023. JOIN YOSEF CLUB.
Men's soccer isn't coming back any time soon, according to Doug Gillen on the Black and Gold Podcast this week. He left the possibility open for down the road but several things have to happen before that and he made it should like it would be several years.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm

I personally think that college football coaching salaries are so far out of hand that it really hurts the product. I’m a believer in both ROE and ROI. What is the expectation for Shawn or any App coach? Do we want a guy who represents the school, runs a clean program and graduates players even if he goes 7-5? Obviously we want it all but the expectations for many at App is to go greater than 10-3, play in a bowl game and win it. Losing the CCG is a disappointment but winning 10 regular season games is quite an accomplishment. Has he done enough to warrant an extension? Let DG decide that. I wonder what is the point in even having a contract when a guy can either walk away from it or expect an immediate raise or extension.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:36 pm

I completely agree that coaching salaries have gone to a stupid level. Do I think Shawn is the best coach Apps has had…. no I don’t. On the other hand, he is not a new coach now. The idea that there are people saying “oh, but he’s winning all those games with returning players” is also somewhat silly. He has to make personnel decisions every day, whether it’s staff or players or recruiting. He should get credit for that. Do you all know how easy it is to screw things up?? Winning 20 games in two seasons (and probably 21) deserves an increase…. if we can afford it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm

4 and 3 against teams with a winning record.Wait a year .

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Lost 3 in a row to a team that we owned prior to last year. I vote give it another year but I have a feeling Gillin won't be asking for my opinion.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Not yet. I want to see what his recruits do.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:17 pm

I suspect in about 2 years this post will have proven to not age well.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm

I think that if all of the posters on this forum were held to the same standards in their own jobs that they want to lay out for Clark and other coaches, we'd have enough money in Yosef Club donations to pay him and his staff Napier money. (and afford a ton of analysts). 8-) 8-) 8-)

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:12 pm

I don’t have access to App athletic financials, but I suspect we are very far from being over our financial crisis. I don’t know if we can afford to give a raise. There are a lot of folks in many professions who haven’t been making market due to pandemic. I want our coaches and staff to be paid in the upper echelon of SBC but we have to be able to financially do it, and our measly YC membership and budget just doesn’t cut it.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:28 am

Some of you need to understand the reality that if we are going to have the success we want we will be replacing our head coach on a regular basis. Thats not to say we shouldn’t treat Coach Clark well or that we won’t have to pay a competitive salary to get the coaches we need. If Clark is successful he will eventually get an offer he cant refuse. We need to have the proper motivation. We can’t pay a really successful coach enough money to keep him at App. So we have to figure out how to keep the program moving forward. What we have is a program that offers coaches a path to a really big pay day. We have to maintain that, pay enough to get the next, right guy, and be smart enough to pick the right guy, simple.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:23 am

Worth every penny he gets paid. Should raise his salary and extend his contract. Look at other SB football coaching salaries.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”