Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:59 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:56 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:09 pm
How can JMU join in 22 when they need one year of transition at FCS followed by 1 year transition in FBS? Have they changed the rules since we moved up?
They can play a full conference schedule but not be bowl eligible in 2022. That's what we did in 2014.
Yes, that was in our FBS transition year, the year prior we played a full schedule and were ineligible for FCS playoffs. It used to be a two year transition of no post season, first year in FCS second year in FBS. If it is still a 2 year transition, the first bowl they would be eligible for would be 2024. Sounds like JMU is trying to get around that rule somehow.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:12 pm
t4pizza wrote:
How can JMU join in 22 when they need one year of transition at FCS followed by 1 year transition in FBS? Have they changed the rules since we moved up?
I think they are asking for the rules to be changed. Because of Covid they are already at the needed scholarship limits.
Seems like a big ask considering the entire NCAA is essentially on life support and trying to figure out how to proceed going forward. Pretty sure all their energy is being used in trying to get that constitutional convention issues resolved and passed.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:03 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:59 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:56 pm
t4pizza wrote:
They can play a full conference schedule but not be bowl eligible in 2022. That's what we did in 2014.
Yes, that was in our FBS transition year, the year prior we played a full schedule and were ineligible for FCS playoffs. It used to be a two year transition of no post season, first year in FCS second year in FBS. If it is still a 2 year transition, the first bowl they would be eligible for would be 2024. Sounds like JMU is trying to get around that rule somehow.
I think they're just trying to get the hell out of the CAA as fast as they can. They won't be eligible for CAA conference championships in any sports next season, if I understand correctly. I think football is the only sport requiring the transition period.
WE ARE YOSEF!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:10 pm

I think DG's primary objection to them coming in for football next year was financial. I'm sure that same objection would come from all the rest of the current belt members. If they can find a way to offset the financial loss I'd bet the objection goes away. As for scheduling...we would lose one OOC game (Marshall) but wouldn't we gain an in-conference? Put in-conference JMU in place of OOC Marshall, pay us, and should be fine. Just be sure and Pay us.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Yes. Because of the extra scholarships due to COVID, JMU, JSU and SHSU will essentially be in the second year of their transition in 2022. They will be eligible for conference championships and bowl games in 2023.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:00 am

This move is really good for SBC East schools:
  • Less travel
  • Easier travel for away games
  • Matchups that are more interesting to our fans

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:47 am

Bootsy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:00 am
  • Less travel
Doug Gillin also mentioned something that I had not thought about or seen mentioned before about the restructuring of the SBC East. It actually helps with recruiting because we'll play more games within driving distance for those recruits in our core recruiting footprint. So, the recruit's families can actually drive to more games and see their kids play more often. I'd think that would be a big selling point.
Also, with adding the teams to the Sun Belt it hopefully will reduce the number of mid-week games that we'd have in Boone...that alone is huge.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:18 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Yes. Because of the extra scholarships due to COVID, JMU, JSU and SHSU will essentially be in the second year of their transition in 2022. They will be eligible for conference championships and bowl games in 2023.
I get they may already be at 85 scholarships but unless the NCAA has changed the rules or grants waivers (none of which I have heard yet), I am just wondering out loud how it is going to work. Although the NCAA is a mess, teams just can't ignore the rules in place because they want to. I just haven't been able to find anything that suggests any of the teams have been given a waiver or that the NCAA has changed the rules.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:43 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:18 am
appst89 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I get they may already be at 85 scholarships but unless the NCAA has changed the rules or grants waivers (none of which I have heard yet), I am just wondering out loud how it is going to work. Although the NCAA is a mess, teams just can't ignore the rules in place because they want to. I just haven't been able to find anything that suggests any of the teams have been given a waiver or that the NCAA has changed the rules.
My understanding is that it was announced at the time they announced their move to FBS. It was reported by several different media outlets at that time that the NCAA had declared any game against JMU, JSU or SHSU would count as an FBS game.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:47 am
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel
Doug Gillin also mentioned something that I had not thought about or seen mentioned before about the restructuring of the SBC East. It actually helps with recruiting because we'll play more games within driving distance for those recruits in our core recruiting footprint. So, the recruit's families can actually drive to more games and see their kids play more often. I'd think that would be a big selling point.
Also, with adding the teams to the Sun Belt it hopefully will reduce the number of mid-week games that we'd have in Boone...that alone is huge.
ESPN loves weekday games in Boone. We draw the best crowds on a pretty consistent basis and the atmosphere is always highly talked about on air. Not sure how the schedule will be structured but I would not expect the more regionally aligned conference to change the amount of weekday games we play in Boone.

However, like you said it does help with recruiting. Nice amount of talent in the Tidewater Region and NOVA (Harrisonburg isn't NOVA, but close enough) areas who will now hear the name App State even more.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel
ESPN loves weekday games in Boone. We draw the best crowds on a pretty consistent basis and the atmosphere is always highly talked about on air. Not sure how the schedule will be structured but I would not expect the more regionally aligned conference to change the amount of weekday games we play in Boone.

However, like you said it does help with recruiting. Nice amount of talent in the Tidewater Region and NOVA (Harrisonburg isn't NOVA, but close enough) areas who will now hear the name App State even more.
Not to mention Botetourt county!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel

Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it was interesting because Doug said that it was an enticement for the Conference USA schools to get a chance to be on national TV, even for weeknight games, and it lowered the chances for us to have to be mid-week at home more than once a season. So, a classic win-win and hopefully the money will improve down the road. The recruiting element was also interesting, it's obviously easier for player families in NC, SC, WV, and of course VA, to get to Virginia and WV for games rather than AL, LA, TX, and AR. Another benefit for the recruiters to sell.
purposes, the moms and dads are gonna love that.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:15 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel

Home of Exit 150 which used to be the biggest headache of an exit, and the I-81 southbound speed trap coming down the hill

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel

Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it was interesting because Doug said that it was an enticement for the Conference USA schools to get a chance to be on national TV, even for weeknight games, and it lowered the chances for us to have to be mid-week at home more than once a season. So, a classic win-win and hopefully the money will improve down the road. The recruiting element was also interesting, it's obviously easier for player families in NC, SC, WV, and of course VA, to get to Virginia and WV for games rather than AL, LA, TX, and AR. Another benefit for the recruiters to sell.
purposes, the moms and dads are gonna love that.
Norfolk and Harrisonburg are closer than Boone for me. Huntington is about the equal time as Boone. I ain't mad at that for home or away games!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:15 pm
bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel

Home of Exit 150 which used to be the biggest headache of an exit, and the I-81 southbound speed trap coming down the hill
Lord Botetourt High this years OL two to APP and two to VT not bad for one High school line. I think we got a third guy from there also this year.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:31 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
  • Less travel
I am skeptical, but I hope you are correct.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:30 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:50 am
Disagree

Apps are 2-6 in games they’re favored by 7 points or less under Clark. He is winning the games he is supposed to win and losing 75% of the "toss ups". Not good enough for an extension yet. Not advocating for him to get fired either. Simply keep letting the story unfold and revisit next year,
2-7

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:30 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:50 am
Disagree

Apps are 2-6 in games they’re favored by 7 points or less under Clark. He is winning the games he is supposed to win and losing 75% of the "toss ups". Not good enough for an extension yet. Not advocating for him to get fired either. Simply keep letting the story unfold and revisit next year,
2-7
Indeed. It was just too early either way to make that extension call.

He could justify it with a 11-2 season or even 10-3 but the schedule gets harder and I don't expect better results next year. After a streak of bowl wins and being ranked or receiving votes we need to bounce back strong next year. Everyone has to know we can't do it every year but cant see a steady downward trajectory.

I'll be curious to see the mood on this board and what the insiders are saying if somehow we go 8-5 or 9-4 next year. Hopefully we are SBC Champions and this game was just a product of us being thin at key spots. Luckily, we have an entire off-season to correct our issues. We have to hit on one of these QBs in a big way.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:09 pm

The contract extension was the right thing to do by DG. It carries Clark for four/five years when you are out recruiting and sell that you will be there for the kid's entire career.
On to 2022!! Let's Go App. St.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 pm

Time will tell certainly but after this performance , coupled with the LaLa games , there are sufficient reasons to question it .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”