Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Saint3333

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm

Penalties and turnovers must be addressed. We didn’t do the little things as well as we did previously.

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Penalties and turnovers must be addressed. We didn’t do the little things as well as we did previously.
Absolutely need to work on turnovers. Penalties are a different story. I have given up in frustration on that. It is in our DNA. Nothing changes in that area last 4 head coaches.
But yes you are 100% correct

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Lot of people griping about folks calling out players and such. Hate to break it to you but college football isnt the, wholesome kiddo goes to school and get an eucation and play a little ball, that it used to be. It's now a minor league for the NFL, with some paid athletes, free agency, players skipping bowl games, and hardly no way for schools to keep someone if they want to leave. Coaches are a revolving door as much as players but at least can be tied down via contract. It might be nice to have some stability at the head coach position but I def wouldnt have done it this soon or this big. I think someone already pointed out our loses this year... Miami, 2 to ULL, and now our bowl streak snapped by a team we should have beat. At my place of work we have three levels to our performance evals. We have Needs Improvement, Meets Expectations, and Excceds Expectations. Coach didn't exceed expectations so I can't justify a big raise like this. I'd say he falls into the meets expectations. That, to me, gets you a cost of living raise only. I'm most irritated that our bowl streak is gone. Say what you will but it made us special....Gave us bragging rights. Now we are just another g5 football team. I had fully expect us to win this game.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:13 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:09 pm
Lot of people griping about folks calling out players and such. Hate to break it to you but college football isnt the, wholesome kiddo goes to school and get an eucation and play a little ball, that it used to be. It's now a minor league for the NFL, with some paid athletes, free agency, players skipping bowl games, and hardly no way for schools to keep someone if they want to leave. Coaches are a revolving door as much as players but at least can be tied down via contract. It might be nice to have some stability at the head coach position but I def wouldnt have done it this soon or this big. I think someone already pointed out our loses this year... Miami, 2 to ULL, and now our bowl streak snapped by a team we should have beat. At my place of work we have three levels to our performance evals. We have Needs Improvement, Meets Expectations, and Excceds Expectations. Coach didn't exceed expectations so I can't justify a big raise like this. I'd say he falls into the meets expectations. That, to me, gets you a cost of living raise only. I'm most irritated that our bowl streak is gone. Say what you will but it made us special....Gave us bragging rights. Now we are just another g5 football team. I had fully expect us to win this game.
The kind of post I expected from you. :(
Merry Christmas anyway.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:13 pm

This didn't age well
The Appalachian State

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:02 am

I was not a proponent of an extension with a bump in pay. As it turns out only incentives were addressed along with the extension. I think this is a good result! It shows a commitment to Shawn and future recruits but doesn’t reward this seasons’ results. There are reasons we are not playing at a higher level; I do not claim to know them. However, highly successful coaches have an ‘it’ factor and I have not seen that in two years. I don’t claim to know what ‘it’ is but I do think I know it when I see it. Results don’t lie over a period of time. We are what our record says we are, yes. But upon further examination the results were, at best, lackluster, and at age 70 that’s not good enough for me. I was born into APP Nation during the transition from NAIA to DI. Maybe success came too quickly (beating USC, ECU and WAKE in 1975). But, a slow downward slide followed by the Mike Working years showed me, it is analysis of your record that indicates trends. 10-3 on the surface looks great. However, it just was not. We only beat teams we were better than and we were handled by good teams. This contract extension does show commitment to Shawn and I’m on board for now. If we play next year like we’ve played this year we will be fortunate to be 6-6.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:08 am

pop5app wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:02 am
I was not a proponent of an extension with a bump in pay. As it turns out only incentives were addressed along with the extension. I think this is a good result! It shows a commitment to Shawn and future recruits but doesn’t reward this seasons’ results. There are reasons we are not playing at a higher level; I do not claim to know them. However, highly successful coaches have an ‘it’ factor and I have not seen that in two years. I don’t claim to know what ‘it’ is but I do think I know it when I see it. Results don’t lie over a period of time. We are what our record says we are, yes. But upon further examination the results were, at best, lackluster, and at age 70 that’s not good enough for me. I was born into APP Nation during the transition from NAIA to DI. Maybe success came too quickly (beating USC, ECU and WAKE in 1975). But, a slow downward slide followed by the Mike Working years showed me, it is analysis of your record that indicates trends. 10-3 on the surface looks great. However, it just was not. We only beat teams we were better than and we were handled by good teams. This contract extension does show commitment to Shawn and I’m on board for now. If we play next year like we’ve played this year we will be fortunate to be 6-6.
This.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:11 am

Lot of “who cares if we win or not” fans disgruntled by the fans who hold this program to a high expectation.

Clark hopefully figures out a plan to keep this program relevant. I’m with the high expectations group, sorry, but this loss really was a bad loss and shouldn’t have happened to this team.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:12 pm

This season can be both:

- a good season
- a need to understand we have either regressed some or others have caught up. I think the latter has occurred.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Maybe some need to come down from the mountaintop thought process that there "are alot of fans that do not care if we win or lose" just because we did not win the conference championship and a bowl game this year. That is so far from the ttuth. Some of us may not believe the sky is falling and the program is in despair after having a 10 game season. We care as much as anyone else. Sure, other programs have probably caught up whether it be Napier recruiting some big and somewhat mobile guys or CCU recruiting a pretty good QB. However, those two programs have not had the transition with 3 HCs and 3 OCs during past several years. With that said, it is my understanding that Clark and team have recruited good recruiting classes, including his first class that began the recruiting process with another coach at the helm. Clark deserves and has earned the opportunity that his contract provides. As long as he is our HC, In Clark I trust. I hope that is for a very long time.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:48 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:07 pm
Maybe some need to come down from the mountaintop thought process that there "are alot of fans that do not care if we win or lose" just because we did not win the conference championship and a bowl game this year. That is so far from the ttuth. Some of us may not believe the sky is falling and the program is in despair after having a 10 game season. We care as much as anyone else. Sure, other programs have probably caught up whether it be Napier recruiting some big and somewhat mobile guys or CCU recruiting a pretty good QB. However, those two programs have not had the transition with 3 HCs and 3 OCs during past several years. With that said, it is my understanding that Clark and team have recruited good recruiting classes, including his first class that began the recruiting process with another coach at the helm. Clark deserves and has earned the opportunity that his contract provides. As long as he is our HC, In Clark I trust. I hope that is for a very long time.
You might be surprised how many of us agree with that post. High or low expectations must be tempered with reality.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:07 pm
You might be surprised how many of us agree with that post. High or low expectations must be tempered with reality.
Nothing wrong with high expectations, but reality is that those expectations will not be meet every year, and that is ok. It helps to appreciate when we do meet expectations.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:29 pm

This fan base has really shown its ass in the last 24 hours. Remarkable to see people arguing with Ethan Joyce on Twitter about being a shill. Maybe we needed a solid dose of humility, might get even more next season.
YNWA

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:49 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:29 pm
This fan base has really shown its ass in the last 24 hours. Remarkable to see people arguing with Ethan Joyce on Twitter about being a shill. Maybe we needed a solid dose of humility, might get even more next season.
This is true. Some of the crap that's been posted on social media the past 24 hours is awful and more embarrassing than the loss. Most of those that are dishing it out would wilt under the same kind of abuse.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:49 pm
ah59396 wrote:
This is true. Some of the crap that's been posted on social media the past 24 hours is awful and more embarrassing than the loss. Most of those that are dishing it out would wilt under the same kind of abuse.
The cloak of anonymity provided by social media causes certain body parts to grow when, in reality, they would shrink in person. It drives me crazy but I'm learning to deal with it better. GOAPPSGO!!! Already missing this season and looking forward to next year.
WE ARE YOSEF!

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Most won’t put their money where their mouth is as well. I guarantee more than half of the people whining don’t donate a DIME to YC and help the program grow.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:01 pm

ah59396 wrote:
It’s been pretty gross. There is no more fun banter.

Gears

Unread post by Gears » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:15 pm

We are not used to losing that bad on National TV. The only other game that was worse was the Liberty/ Eastern Michigan game. IMO we played like we were a Covid replacement team. Our guys were playing their hearts out while WKU adjusted and countered everything we tried. I blame the coaches but I’m not ready to throw in the towel. Give Shawn some time to make some changes.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:44 pm

To read some of the stuff posted in the past couple of days one would think that we have zero talent waiting for the opportunity to play. Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t we had two of our highest rated recruiting classes ever? Don’t most teams settle in with what they hope is the same offensive line all season? That’s not a position where a team rotates guys during the game so isn’t it at all possible that a few of the really big young guys will add weight and muscle and maybe be solid adds next season? Isn’t it possible for a few young receivers to grab significant snaps next year? Could it be possible that we have some stud defensive guys who could have played this year but had to wait their chance as well? Is it also possible that Clark and company fully know all of this but don’t go this message board to answer questions from a bunch of dudes who don’t know crap about what they speak?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:03 pm

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Most won’t put their money where their mouth is as well. I guarantee more than half of the people whining don’t donate a DIME to YC and help the program grow.
I am a YC donor, but to be clear I don’t believe you need to be one to be a fan. It’s also fine to be upset or critical and not donate. Though I wish every alum did.

What I firmly believe is that the “fire Clark” people better ABSOLUTELY be donating money. Hiring coaches costs money. Firing coaches in contract costs money. Which is why it’s very easy for those with zero skin in the game to scream about firing people.

If your stance is “fire Clark” after 9-3, 10-4, then you better be ready to pony up and spend some serious dough. Because we will be churning through coaching staffs like melted butter.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”