Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:26 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 pm
9-3 last year. Seems equal to 10 win season given it was a covid year. Maybe one of our highest recruiting classes last year.
10 wins this year pre+bowl game. This year recruiting class looks pretty good.. Not sure of our total allowed recruits for this class (Schollys to give out). CCU is rated higher, however, they have more overall commits. ULL class is below us. Seems to be doing okay on the recruiting trail.
Time will tell.
HS ratings mean absolutely nothing at the G5 level. Look how many of our commits don't even have a rating despite being committed for weeks or months yet a kid commits to the SEC and has a rating within days.

Our lowest rated recruiting classes in FBS won SBC titles but higher rated classes from the last 2 years fell short of it. I'm not putting them down but I think we should probably look back and see how the class should rate 4 years after signing.

Just based on paper and the highlights it appears 2021 and 2022 are our two best classes ever but they have to show it on the field. I think just now we can look back and put a grade on how the 2017 and 2018 classes panned out.
Thanks Captain Obvious. I believe we all understand this point. No rating matters more than the actual play on the field and how they actually perform. This is the deal whether P5 or G5. In regards to Clark, as head coach, and bringing in, holding onto, transfer portal is the last two years. Prior to that he was not the CEO of the program. On paper, the last two look pretty good.
I agree 100% but it seems people bring up the ratings but then they don't want to hold coaches accountable if we don't live up to it. Our recent classes, based on film and offer lists, should definitely be our best but I'll take 18-20 Cooper Hodges, D Evans, Peoples, Earle, etc ratings and offer lists for their results over 20 offers and a high 3-star or low 4-star any day of the week.

I feel like we should totally ignore because 247 probably spends about 50 seconds total to rate our commits while they spend weeks and weeks on the SEC guys. I'm not attacking Moose and ASM because they don't have anything to do with them. I'm pretty sure they are annoyed with the effort puts into our commits.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:34 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:11 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:56 am
fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am
Well we have not won the conference in three years, isn't that the yardstick we use to measure?
yes, it's been 3 years since we wont our last championship but saying it that way makes it sound like we've failed 3 seasons in a row.

This is the double edged sword of being in an improving conference. If we win the championship every year, it will eventually lose meaning nationally because the SunBelt will be seen as a one horse conference. The MWC has that issue to some degree since Boise State is the only recognized team (although they do have other good programs). Louisiana is a legit competitor. That will make it all the sweeter when we win it back.
It's only been two seasons without a title.
We beat Louisiana in 2019
Coastal Chickened Out in 2020
Louisiana won it in 2021
Yes, that was my point. Thanks.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:32 pm

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:04 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm
The 2022 season should be the litmus test for a contract extension, because after that, he'll have two years left.
I think most of us feel this way. Go 10-2 in regular season, win the SBC, and a bowl game and then we absolutely should consider it. A lot can happen and I always feel those who are fastest to suggest these things will be the first to want them fired if we were to start 3-3 or so next year before letting it play out.
There is no "consider" about it. If we do that he will have done an excellent job and better get a raise and extension. I am one who wants to wait till next year but if he does that it should be an automatic.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:41 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:04 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm
The 2022 season should be the litmus test for a contract extension, because after that, he'll have two years left.
I think most of us feel this way. Go 10-2 in regular season, win the SBC, and a bowl game and then we absolutely should consider it. A lot can happen and I always feel those who are fastest to suggest these things will be the first to want them fired if we were to start 3-3 or so next year before letting it play out.
There is no "consider" about it. If we do that he will have done an excellent job and better get a raise and extension. I am one who wants to wait till next year but if he does that it should be an automatic.
Agree with you but let’s see how the team looks next year. We are 0-3 vs UL, 1-1 vs CCU, 1-1 vs Marshall, and 0-1 vs P5. I think 10 or more wins and a conference title would definitely get an extension and raise with how tough 2022's schedule is so I think Gillin would for sure do it then.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:37 pm

This site is toxic and some of the posters are completely detached from reality.

We have a game this week and there’s no discussion post for it. Instead we are arguing over contract extensions and possible scenarios for next year.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:45 pm

There are some insane comments here. If a football team wins 8 games or better they have had a very good season. Schools that have fired coaches for consistently winning 9 games or better are now wastelands. Look at Nebraska, they did it TWICE. It worked out ok after they fired Frank Stolch for only winning 9 or 10 games but it sure didn't work when they fired Bo Pelini.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:46 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:37 pm
This site is toxic and some of the posters are completely detached from reality.

We have a game this week and there’s no discussion post for it. Instead we are arguing over contract extensions and possible scenarios for next year.
I think the person who started the thread is very detached from reality. A lot of us couldn’t help but try to set them straight. It was weird for sure.

Maybe it is someone close to him starting it to get a pulse of the fan base on it? Lol

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:53 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:45 pm
There are some insane comments here. If a football team wins 8 games or better they have had a very good season. Schools that have fired coaches for consistently winning 9 games or better are now wastelands. Look at Nebraska, they did it TWICE. It worked out ok after they fired Frank Stolch for only winning 9 or 10 games but it sure didn't work when they fired Bo Pelini.
Didn’t see anyone say fire him for only winning 10 games. I think the question was should we give him a raise and extension right now and it is just too early. He also has time left on deal and I doubt he is even worrying about that now.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Let’s see how the bowl game plays out. Get a win there and this becomes a discussion.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:53 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Didn’t see anyone say fire him for only winning 10 games. I think the question was should we give him a raise and extension right now and it is just too early. He also has time left on deal and I doubt he is even worrying about that now.
Posters extreme expectations mentioning only extending a contract after next year IF he wins a P5, championship game and bowl game is why I replied.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:53 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:53 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Posters extreme expectations mentioning only extending a contract after next year IF he wins a P5, championship game and bowl game is why I replied.
10+ wins and a league title would get the big boosters excited but I am expecting more of a 9-4 or so type season with how hard the 2022 schedule is going to be.

Take a look at it: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2022/team/ ... hian-state

Can you imagine how many people will want Shawn fired if we start 3-3? I think that would be crazy.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 am

Increasing pay for Clark's staff is the higher priority for sure...specifically, position coaches deserve more money.

They're on the tip of the spear in recruiting efforts and cementing commitments when competitors try to poach recruits. They spend hours studying film because their input is critical in terms of the HC/DC/OC preparing game plans each week. Our players work hard to prepare, but don't underestimate the value of position coaches working overtime to help them develop and maximize their potential on the field.

No offense to Frank or DJ, but App has shown the ability to bounce back after losing Offensive/Defensive Coordinators. Losing position coaches make a BIG difference. Let's shake some cash loose and pay them.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:46 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm
I don't agree that this year should be discounted because of Brice. In fact, Brice was a talent that he DID recruit, although from the portal. Regarding the super seniors, I guess it's true that Clark didn't recruit them, but he is a big part of the reason they remained. I'm fine with waiting another year before an extension is granted given all the unusual finances we are dealing with, but if I wouldn't object if we move forward with an extension either.
Clark had been the recruiting coordinator since 2017, or 2016, right? As recruiting coordinator, he may not have recruited everyone but he certainly played a role in identifying, isolating, and making plans for getting them to Boone.

Also, Clark's first two classes have been the highest rated classes in App history. He may end up missing on a few of those guys, but most of the Freshman offensive linemen he recruited in 2020 and 2021 as Head Coach are on the two deep already.

That is telling enough. This isn't Drinkwitz we are talking about, it's Clark. He has a history and the experience here.

The best way to get him a raise is if everyone here joined Yosefs Club in some capacity, even at the bare minimum. Would hope having a new Deputy Director of Athletics may help organize a grass roots effort to drive small donations from large numbers of people as well.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:05 am

I am glad no one on this thread is or has any say so in the athletic department --- how a Bowl win and possibly another, plus potentially 21 wins in 2 seasons doesn't warrant an extension is mind boggling. 🤯

Clark and Watts kept the tires on the road (aka program together) when we had coaches jump ship 2 straight seasons -- we could look like a stuck in the mud befuddling Ark State program without their continuity around.

We sometimes forget other programs spend BIG, actually BIGGER money than we do on facilities, Pay coaches BIGGER money than we do to win games, As fans you're not entitled or it's not a birthright to wake up and be champions.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 am

Clark is doing a good job and people that don't see this are blind, however I typically don't spend money I don't need to. Clark is getting $775k before bonuses and by all accounts appears happy with his status at the university.

Again the bigger impact to Shawn and the program is to raise assistant pay.

If he can win 8-9 games next in a rebuild year and is 60% through his contract, give him an extension then. If he underperforms wait until the following year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:54 am

Extension approved.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 pm

I think Clark is doing well. We knew he was a rookie HC and along with that will be some growing pains but overall we all have to be very happy campers and want him stay for a long time. I expect him to continue to tweak his system, coaches, play calling, etc. etc. Only time will tell how he adjusts to the changing needs of the program and opponents.

On the statements about "toxic" site and ridiculous comments, what do you expect on a message board? I don't like some but the point of a board is to have a place for folks to discuss our team and banter about what worked, what didn't, what we wish and reality. It should be in good fun but we know sometimes folks go too far. But that is what happens and a few bad apples shouldn't mean everybody is bad and the board stinks.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:28 pm

The solution: 1-0 this week (and each week) Beat WKU!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:29 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 pm
I think Clark is doing well. We knew he was a rookie HC and along with that will be some growing pains but overall we all have to be very happy campers and want him stay for a long time. I expect him to continue to tweak his system, coaches, play calling, etc. etc. Only time will tell how he adjusts to the changing needs of the program and opponents.

On the statements about "toxic" site and ridiculous comments, what do you expect on a message board? I don't like some but the point of a board is to have a place for folks to discuss our team and banter about what worked, what didn't, what we wish and reality. It should be in good fun but we know sometimes folks go too far. But that is what happens and a few bad apples shouldn't mean everybody is bad and the board stinks.
Oh, and one more point, why do some of the folks on this board think if you have not been a football coach at some point your opinion about our football program is worthless and you do not have enough football IQ to be offering your opinion? That's a bit rich in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”