Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time to give Shawn Clark contract extension

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:32 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:03 pm
J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:49 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:29 pm
This fan base has really shown its ass in the last 24 hours. Remarkable to see people arguing with Ethan Joyce on Twitter about being a shill. Maybe we needed a solid dose of humility, might get even more next season.
This is true. Some of the crap that's been posted on social media the past 24 hours is awful and more embarrassing than the loss. Most of those that are dishing it out would wilt under the same kind of abuse.

Most won’t put their money where their mouth is as well. I guarantee more than half of the people whining don’t donate a DIME to YC and help the program grow.
I am a YC donor, but to be clear I don’t believe you need to be one to be a fan. It’s also fine to be upset or critical and not donate. Though I wish every alum did.

What I firmly believe is that the “fire Clark” people better ABSOLUTELY be donating money. Hiring coaches costs money. Firing coaches in contract costs money. Which is why it’s very easy for those with zero skin in the game to scream about firing people.

If your stance is “fire Clark” after 9-3, 10-4, then you better be ready to pony up and spend some serious dough. Because we will be churning through coaching staffs like melted butter.
Exactly. It costs money to change coaches a lot so those who are early to want a coach fired need to pony up big money.

We will indeed find out what our staff is made of and if they are doing a good job recruiting in 2022. Let’s see how we look and then judge our direction after the upcoming season.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:49 am

I think Saint said it best when he suggested that this year could be seen as a success at 10-4 but also could point to some issues needing resolution. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I think there has been way too much disrespect by some towards WKU. Their 8-5 record coming in was misleading given that they had won 7 of their last 8. On the other hand, to be blitzed like that was concerning. They made us pay for a season long problem, turnovers. Of course, down three CBs didn't help our cause and showed our lack of depth in area that from my vantage point hadn't been a strong suit this year.

My biggest concern is we enter 2022 on a two game losing streak and start the year playing two P5s with a trip to Marshall (as currently scheduled). We will be somewhat untested in several areas that may help determine our season. There is reason for optimism with the young talent that is poised to step forward but it may be wise to temper expectations a bit. After some declared that 2021 brought forth our most talented team ever, a 10-4 season didn't meet those expectations. To be fair, the losses to graduation from 2020 were probably greater than many realized.

Patience and humility should be the order of the day as we approach 2022. It is fair to have expectations that the program will continue to progress but it may take time for it to be recognized given the departures and the schedule. Shawn faces a challenge, this will be the test of his tenure.

Gears

Unread post by Gears » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:11 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:49 am
I think Saint said it best when he suggested that this year could be seen as a success at 10-4 but also could point to some issues needing resolution. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I think there has been way too much disrespect by some towards WKU. Their 8-5 record coming in was misleading given that they had won 7 of their last 8. On the other hand, to be blitzed like that was concerning. They made us pay for a season long problem, turnovers. Of course, down three CBs didn't help our cause and showed our lack of depth in area that from my vantage point hadn't been a strong suit this year.

My biggest concern is we enter 2022 on a two game losing streak and start the year playing two P5s with a trip to Marshall (as currently scheduled). We will be somewhat untested in several areas that may help determine our season. There is reason for optimism with the young talent that is poised to step forward but it may be wise to temper expectations a bit. After some declared that 2021 brought forth our most talented team ever, a 10-4 season didn't meet those expectations. To be fair, the losses to graduation from 2020 were probably greater than many realized.

Patience and humility should be the order of the day as we approach 2022. It is fair to have expectations that the program will continue to progress but it may take time for it to be recognized given the departures and the schedule. Shawn faces a challenge, this will be the test of his tenure.
Very well put, give him a little time to make his own adjustments.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:26 am

Napier had a staff of 40 analysts at ULL. Just like the big boy P5's have. That costs money.

Many SBC programs pay their coaching staffs more than App pays its staff.

So, I agree: one can be a fan and not be a YC member. Everyone's personal situation is different and I respect that.

But at some point, some things must change if App State Football is going to continue competing at a high level. A key component involves a larger percentage of our fans making a financial investment in the success of the program.

College football is changing rapidly and the competition is catching up. Soon we'll have more competition in the SBC than ever, and I'm not just talking about the new members.

Can we continue to expect Gillin works the same miracles on a limited budget that has kept us on top in the past?

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:42 am

What I find funny is it seems that what some people said they wanted was better competition for our team, well it seems we got that better competition and those same people that wanted better competition do not like it. We have to face the fact that Louisiana gave Billy Napier the resources to build a team, staff as well as players, to beat Appalachian. That is exactly what that team did and may be the reason they had trouble beating so many other teams this year. The team that Louisiana built was built to beat Appalachian. We are fortunate to have a culture of winning the right way and we will continue to do so. What Drinkwitz did was use what was built here go 13 and 1 and even he knew he could not sustain that, so he left the first chance he got. Shawn Clark is not like that, this is his school, and he will continue to play the long game and build a program that will compete to the point that one day people will say, "Appalachian Beat Michigan in '07, why is that a big deal?" The reason they will say that is because Appalachian has evolved into a program that is a national football power. I am so glad I got turned down by N.C. State and Guilford, because I am proud of my degree from Appalachian. The fact we have a winning football program makes my degree that much sweeter. It takes a special kind of person to be an Appalachian State University Mountaineer.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:05 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:42 am
What I find funny is it seems that what some people said they wanted was better competition for our team, well it seems we got that better competition and those same people that wanted better competition do not like it. We have to face the fact that Louisiana gave Billy Napier the resources to build a team, staff as well as players, to beat Appalachian. That is exactly what that team did and may be the reason they had trouble beating so many other teams this year. The team that Louisiana built was built to beat Appalachian. We are fortunate to have a culture of winning the right way and we will continue to do so. What Drinkwitz did was use what was built here go 13 and 1 and even he knew he could not sustain that, so he left the first chance he got. Shawn Clark is not like that, this is his school, and he will continue to play the long game and build a program that will compete to the point that one day people will say, "Appalachian Beat Michigan in '07, why is that a big deal?" The reason they will say that is because Appalachian has evolved into a program that is a national football power. I am so glad I got turned down by N.C. State and Guilford, because I am proud of my degree from Appalachian. The fact we have a winning football program makes my degree that much sweeter. It takes a special kind of person to be an Appalachian State University Mountaineer.
And got accepted at App? That doesn’t add up.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:07 pm

I did not understand how to apply to college back then, but luckily App took a chance on me.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:45 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:59 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:56 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:09 pm
How can JMU join in 22 when they need one year of transition at FCS followed by 1 year transition in FBS? Have they changed the rules since we moved up?
They can play a full conference schedule but not be bowl eligible in 2022. That's what we did in 2014.
Yes, that was in our FBS transition year, the year prior we played a full schedule and were ineligible for FCS playoffs. It used to be a two year transition of no post season, first year in FCS second year in FBS. If it is still a 2 year transition, the first bowl they would be eligible for would be 2024. Sounds like JMU is trying to get around that rule somehow.
My understanding is that it is still a 2 year transition and would require a waiver. One factor in their favor is that, because of the special COVID rules, they effectively already have their FBS scholarship (or close to it). That is why the FCS transition year prohibits post season play....because they're over the scholarship limit. Since they are already there, they are theoretically in position to move up more quickly (if they get a waiver).

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:48 am

Interesting article in D1 ticker today about 4 SB ADs structure coaches contracts (Gillen was included). Bonuses for success seemed to be main issue.
Bring Your A Game!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Yes I found that article pretty interesting huskie3. Fairly creative to pay a $40k insurance premium to pay $500k incentive package. I wonder if we are doing any of that?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:41 pm

Some members of this forum won't be satisfied until we get a NY6 bid and defeat a premier opponent.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:41 pm

The way it’s going, we need a transfer portal coordinator separate from recruiting coordinator. Maybe a position that doesn’t coach on the field,just studies what is happening in the portal. And a coordinator for NIH dealings - an advisor and overseer. Do we have that already in place?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:53 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:41 pm
The way it’s going, we need a transfer portal coordinator separate from recruiting coordinator. Maybe a position that doesn’t coach on the field,just studies what is happening in the portal. And a coordinator for NIH dealings - an advisor and overseer. Do we have that already in place?
We have a couple assistant to head coach and analysts..... I will leave it at that...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:10 pm

Funny thread to go back through.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:20 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 am
Shawn made $775k this year. I think he's happy and grateful for the opportunity. Raising it $100k isn't going to make a difference whether he stays or goes and I really don't care if other SBC coaches make more than OUR guy. That isn't a rational reason for a raise.

I'd rather see us use any incremental money to increase assistant coaches salaries and give Clark ammo to go out and build the best staff possible. Clark's success depends as much (or in some causes more so) on how the staff performs.
Should have listened to this guy.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:22 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:20 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 am
Shawn made $775k this year. I think he's happy and grateful for the opportunity. Raising it $100k isn't going to make a difference whether he stays or goes and I really don't care if other SBC coaches make more than OUR guy. That isn't a rational reason for a raise.

I'd rather see us use any incremental money to increase assistant coaches salaries and give Clark ammo to go out and build the best staff possible. Clark's success depends as much (or in some causes more so) on how the staff performs.
Should have listened to this guy.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:31 pm

This thread didn’t age well.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:10 pm
Funny thread to go back through.
The interesting thing is how many of us expressed concern to hold our horses.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”