Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Moore Statue and Plaza Dedication

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Moore Statue and Plaza Dedication

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun May 08, 2022 12:46 pm

While on campus for my youngest's graduation yesterday, I went to the stadium and was looking at the brick that I bought naming my four graduates. While viewing the plaza with no people, it really jumps out as to how few people participated in the Coach Moore honorary plaza. The total number of bricks purchased is only about 400 and it appears that there is space for about three times that number. It really looks pretty sad.

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Sun May 08, 2022 12:57 pm

My sister bought me a brick as a surprise Christmas gift. I was told it would be installed in April but when I was up there a couple weeks ago it had not been installed yet. There may be some that haven't been installed yet.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 08, 2022 1:22 pm

I would have purchased one if it had been a bit cheaper. I love App and all that Jerry Moore did for us but personally I have to balance athletic giving with academic giving at App (and academics always wins that argument for me by at least $1 every year.) I spend more on athletics with tickets and concessions but for outright giving with nothing in return academics always wins the argument.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:46 pm
While on campus for my youngest's graduation yesterday, I went to the stadium and was looking at the brick that I bought naming my four graduates. While viewing the plaza with no people, it really jumps out as to how few people participated in the Coach Moore honorary plaza. The total number of bricks purchased is only about 400 and it appears that there is space for about three times that number. It really looks pretty sad.
I’m always shocked by the number of donors that give to any cause at App. We like to claim we have a large dedicated fanbase. But in reality we’ve got some alligator arms when reaching for our wallets.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 pm

As I recall our donor numbers are historically small so it doesn't surprise me.My name is up there , just felt like for all the memories , that become dearer with time , it was the least I could do.Got some great photos with Coach and Margaret that day.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 08, 2022 4:40 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:46 pm
I’m always shocked by the number of donors that give to any cause at App. We like to claim we have a large dedicated fanbase. But in reality we’ve got some alligator arms when reaching for our wallets.
One can sort of figure out some numbers for athletics based on the size of the Yosef Club, and I assume that includes even small donations of a few dollars. Any idea of the numbers that give to the overall Appalachian Fund?

I have no problem with alumni not donating to athletics. For some they may object to the coaches' and AD staffs' salaries and the way classes are cancelled for sporting events. Some just have no interest in athletics of any kind at any level. No harm in that for a personal choice. One really should give to their alma mater in some fashion however baring being destitute.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:22 pm
I would have purchased one if it had been a bit cheaper. I love App and all that Jerry Moore did for us but personally I have to balance athletic giving with academic giving at App (and academics always wins that argument for me by at least $1 every year.) I spend more on athletics with tickets and concessions but for outright giving with nothing in return academics always wins the argument.
Yeah, $250 was a little steep for the small brick. The small should have been $150 with 8x8 at $300.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Yeah, $250 was a little steep for the small brick. The small should have been $150 with 8x8 at $300.
I think $100 for the small brick and $250 for the larger brick would have been the more successful price points. Going into this athletics had to know this would never really cover a truly significant chunk of the plaza's construction and was more for "looks" and "feels" than actual credit towards construction. Unless you get lucky and have a few bigger donors who just like to help, or those with really strong Coach Moore memories and are giving a good bit above the price point for a brick/bricks, then it was never anything more than a fun project for App fans to thank Coach for his decades of service.

Now, most with that strong connection to Coach Moore and those years have purchased their bricks and there appears to be PLENTY more room for additional bricks...bricks that will most likely go unsold. It would also be hard to lower the prices at this point as well, without aggravating some of those that have already purchased. Tough call but when it comes to aesthetic projects like this that the everyday Mountaineer fan/alumni can participate in, well, athletics would be well-advised to "go low" on the price points.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon May 09, 2022 9:18 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
I think $100 for the small brick and $250 for the larger brick would have been the more successful price points. Going into this athletics had to know this would never really cover a truly significant chunk of the plaza's construction and was more for "looks" and "feels" than actual credit towards construction. Unless you get lucky and have a few bigger donors who just like to help, or those with really strong Coach Moore memories and are giving a good bit above the price point for a brick/bricks, then it was never anything more than a fun project for App fans to thank Coach for his decades of service.

Now, most with that strong connection to Coach Moore and those years have purchased their bricks and there appears to be PLENTY more room for additional bricks...bricks that will most likely go unsold. It would also be hard to lower the prices at this point as well, without aggravating some of those that have already purchased. Tough call but when it comes to aesthetic projects like this that the everyday Mountaineer fan/alumni can participate in, well, athletics would be well-advised to "go low" on the price points.
You're right. This would have been a really good way to get donor engagement going with lower price points. I was in charge of raising a couple hundred thousand dollars for a community built playground years ago and the bricks that were personalized I think we sold for $25 really just to get engagement with the community going. I think we sold about a thousand bricks in a community with a year-round population of about 3,000 people.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon May 09, 2022 9:24 am

My wife bought a brick for me last Christmas. We stopped by the plaza last Sunday and could not find our brick so I believe more are still to be installed.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 am

Not to be picky but it would have been nice to even see the statue. How do I know it was Coach Moore? ;)

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 09, 2022 11:44 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 am
HighlandsApp wrote:

Sometimes less can be more. I would have bit on the $100 more than likely.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:59 am

Price was consistent with the ones around The Rock
Bring Your A Game!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 09, 2022 1:30 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:59 am

I sent a $400 check (and has cleared) without a form to fill out or anything months ago. However, I included a note advising them to notify me as to whose name I wanted on the brick as I was contemplating having my Dad's name on the brick since in 1965 he encouraged me to go to then "ASTC" to be a teacher. He was thrilled when I applied and was barely accepted.. He was a blue collar worker for his entire working career spanning from when he was discharged from the US Army in 1945 after serving his four years in WWII; then starting to work for one small furniture manufacturing plant until he died of glio-blastoma multiforme (Google it) in 1986. Doing the math; that's 41 years plus or minus a couple months. Otherwise I was considering putting my "adopted" son's full name which is diff than my last name. The check cleared months ago. Calls and emails have been futile. It seems our big game September 3 has understandably overwhelmed the staff. Now if I was a mega donor to Yosef, it would seem they would have broken their necks reaching me. Believe me, if I was in financial position to give a lot, I certainly would as our athletes need it. Thus around next December or so, it might be worth the effort for me to attempt to contact whomever is necessary to get this resolved. I take full blame for not attempting to enclose a form.

Some potential donors might possibly be relegating their funds toward finding a way to attend the Sept 3 game. Can't blame 'em.

This is not a sob story and certainly not seeking attention or praise as Seattle App likes to imply.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon May 09, 2022 3:23 pm

When comparing past presidents, I can always remember Dr Plemmons with his pipe watching the run-through on the night before the games at then J. Conrad Stadium

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon May 09, 2022 4:49 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:30 pm
huskie3 wrote:

I sent a $400 check (and has cleared) without a form to fill out or anything months ago. However, I included a note advising them to notify me as to whose name I wanted on the brick as I was contemplating having my Dad's name on the brick since in 1965 he encouraged me to go to then "ASTC" to be a teacher. He was thrilled when I applied and was barely accepted.. He was a blue collar worker for his entire working career spanning from when he was discharged from the US Army in 1945 after serving his four years in WWII; then starting to work for one small furniture manufacturing plant until he died of glio-blastoma multiforme (Google it) in 1986. Doing the math; that's 41 years plus or minus a couple months. Otherwise I was considering putting my "adopted" son's full name which is diff than my last name. The check cleared months ago. Calls and emails have been futile. It seems our big game September 3 has understandably overwhelmed the staff. Now if I was a mega donor to Yosef, it would seem they would have broken their necks reaching me. Believe me, if I was in financial position to give a lot, I certainly would as our athletes need it. Thus around next December or so, it might be worth the effort for me to attempt to contact whomever is necessary to get this resolved. I take full blame for not attempting to enclose a form.

Some potential donors might possibly be relegating their funds toward finding a way to attend the Sept 3 game. Can't blame 'em.

This is not a sob story and certainly not seeking attention or praise as Seattle App likes to imply.
Our fathers followed similar paths.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:49 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:30 pm
huskie3 wrote:

Our fathers followed similar paths.
That's comforting to me. And I'm not being sarcastic. Another prob Dad had was my mother was disabled from the time i was one year old on.. We got nothing from the gov to help financially In addition, Dad lost 3 fingers in his work in the greedy factory. Not having a pity party, but because of some of that I have no empathy for corporations large or small except for the fact they do furnish jobs..

Thanks for "listening", Stonewall. Glad you can relate. Take care and stay safe.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”