Oklahoma hangs 76 on Western

Appgrad91
School: Appalachian State

Oklahoma hangs 76 on Western

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Glad to see Mark Spier got out of that train wreck in Cullowhee and back with us. Also glad we got OL Helms. He is really looking good so far this season and a great addition to our O-Line. I watch some film on this guy and he was a pure beast at Western.

ASU-FTW

Re: Oklahoma hangs 76 on Western

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:30 am

Thank God we are not Western.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 am

Defense held them under 80... :lol: :lol:

GO APPS!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:03 am

These games are really ridiculous. It is time for the elites to stop scheduling pathetic FCS games.
Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma......really shouldn't be playing FCS teams on any regular basis and certainly shouldn't be playing from the bottom of the FCS.

Clemson playing SCSU
Georgia has Charleston Southern (not the bottom exactly but still)
Bama playing Mercer (another mid tier) They've played WCU a couple of times too
Oklahoma playing WCU

These games aren't even challenging enough to be a good workout.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:03 am
These games are really ridiculous. It is time for the elites to stop scheduling pathetic FCS games.
Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma......really shouldn't be playing FCS teams on any regular basis and certainly shouldn't be playing from the bottom of the FCS.

Clemson playing SCSU
Oklahoma playing WCU

They are how those FCS teams stay alive.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:16 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 am
Yosef84 wrote:

Clemson playing SCSU
Oklahoma playing WCU

Yes, I get that, but doesn't mean that's how it needs to continue. Those FCS teams need to figure out their budget issues. G5 programs can use the cash infusion as well and would be a more legit game.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am

Psssh. We’ve hung 79 on them before.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:24 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am
Psssh. We’ve hung 79 on them before.
That was an immensely fun game. The only thing I really miss about the FCS days was beating up our little brother.
Give 'em hell!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:16 am
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Clemson playing SCSU
Oklahoma playing WCU

Yes, I get that, but doesn't mean that's how it needs to continue. Those FCS teams need to figure out their budget issues. G5 programs can use the cash infusion as well and would be a more legit game.
Did you feel that way when it was how WE stayed alive and I guess couldn't figure out OUR budget issues? Just sayin

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm

Each program does what they think is in their best interest. Or as stated , what they have to do to survive.We do the same.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:03 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Clemson playing SCSU
Oklahoma playing WCU

Did you feel that way when it was how WE stayed alive and I guess couldn't figure out OUR budget issues? Just sayin
The difference being App USUALLY gave a competitive team. We were consistently a top tier FCS. The teams we're talking about here aren't App, Montana, JMU, NDSU, GS, or anything close. That's my point. Why would an elite team reach down so low in the FCS pecking order?

Hey, they are entitled to schedule whomever they want. I certainly don't hold it against the FCS teams for booking the payday. My criticism is toward the elites.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:40 pm

Whether App was more competitive in the games or not, all teams in the SoCon, no matter good or bad, had to find ways to fund football program. Probably more so if lesser enrollment which means less student fees helping out. We would not be where we are today without those games in the past. We have not always done well ourselves. Soe team from Blacksburg put a beating on us....and a team we recently beat us bad at home
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:40 pm
Whether App was more competitive in the games or not, all teams in the SoCon, no matter good or bad, had to find ways to fund football program. Probably more so if lesser enrollment which means less student fees helping out. We would not be where we are today without those games in the past. We have not always done well ourselves. Soe team from Blacksburg put a beating on us....and a team we recently beat us bad at home
Guys....I'm NOT an FCS hater. I am fully aware that all teams have to balance their budget. The fact is that these games are a joke and any program competing for a national title at the highest level, should not be reaching down to the Western Carolina's of the world for games. Chalk this up to the system be broken and I wish I had an answer, but I don't. All I'm saying is these games are a joke. If you believe they are meaningful then more power to you. I wish nothing but good things to our the FCS programs."

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:03 pm
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Clemson playing SCSU
Oklahoma playing WCU

The difference being App USUALLY gave a competitive team. We were consistently a top tier FCS. The teams we're talking about here aren't App, Montana, JMU, NDSU, GS, or anything close. That's my point. Why would an elite team reach down so low in the FCS pecking order?

Hey, they are entitled to schedule whomever they want. I certainly don't hold it against the FCS teams for booking the payday. My criticism is toward the elites.
Honest question. Not meant to argue. I don't see how it matters to us one way or the other. Why do you care?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Honest question. Not meant to argue. I don't see how it matters to us one way or the other. Why do you care?
Honestly, I'm not losing sleep over it, but as a football fan, I think this screws up the process to have championship level programs wasting games that could be used to vet the field. Also, one of the teams I referenced is my #2 team. Since my father, uncle, first cousin and most of my extended family all attended UGA I grew up pulling for Georgia. I still follow the programs although, obviously secondary to App.

I'm not opposed to FBS vs. FCS in general. My comment is specific to these "elite" teams who clearly dwell at the top. It just seems like a waste. Give the game to a G5. If you get in a scheduling bind (like Michigan) schedule what you need, but why does has Bama played WCU several times? That just makes no sense at all. At least Clemson plays in-state FCS which is a little less annoying.

Sorry for the long answer, but there you go. You know....if everybody has to start explaining WHY they hold every opinion on this board, we're going to have a lengthy threads! :D

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 pm
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Honestly, I'm not losing sleep over it, but as a football fan, I think this screws up the process to have championship level programs wasting games that could be used to vet the field. Also, one of the teams I referenced is my #2 team. Since my father, uncle, first cousin and most of my extended family all attended UGA I grew up pulling for Georgia. I still follow the programs although, obviously secondary to App.

I'm not opposed to FBS vs. FCS in general. My comment is specific to these "elite" teams who clearly dwell at the top. It just seems like a waste. Give the game to a G5. If you get in a scheduling bind (like Michigan) schedule what you need, but why does has Bama played WCU several times? That just makes no sense at all. At least Clemson plays in-state FCS which is a little less annoying.

Sorry for the long answer, but there you go. You know....if everybody has to start explaining WHY they hold every opinion on this board, we're going to have a lengthy threads! :D
Sorry for asking, I was just curious.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:17 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Sorry for asking, I was just curious.
No reason to be sorry. It's just a discussion. I'm not hurt, and hope my reply didn't come off an snippy. I get what the others are saying also, regarding the FCS budgets. I'm not insensitive to that issue, but from the standpoint of these elite teams, the games really don't make sense (opinion).

77SU
School: Samford

Unread post by 77SU » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 am

Yosef84 wrote:

... I'm not opposed to FBS vs. FCS in general. My comment is specific to these "elite" teams who clearly dwell at the top. It just seems like a waste. Give the game to a G5. If you get in a scheduling bind (like Michigan) schedule what you need, but why does has Bama played WCU several times? That just makes no sense at all. At least Clemson plays in-state FCS which is a little less annoying...
Just a little perspective on the Bama position with regard to scheduling football teams. They play no other school within the State of Alabama except for Auburn. (This attitude is not present on The Plains, for which Samford and others are grateful.) This snub applies to UAB (whose program the UA BOT tried to kill a few years ago), Troy, South Alabama, and any other football program. Bama does schedule baseball, softball, women's soccer, and volleyball with us and occasionally will schedule a MBB or WBB game.

SU back when it was Howard College played Bama several times. Howard College played Bama to a 7-7 tie in 1935 at Denny Field, on September 18, 1935 to be exact. Howard College played Bama 21 times between 1906 and 1944, with a record of 0-20-1. (SU has played Auburn a total of 29 times, 0-28-1.)

One of the members of the UA team was a young Paul "Bear' Bryant. Wonder if football was good to him?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”