Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm

And so it begins:

"Influential panel proposes separating major college football from the NCAA"

Fortunately, it reads FBS and not P5 at this point:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 811200001/

appdaze

Re: NCFA

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:56 pm

I'm not surprised as I have been of the opinion that covid would accelerate these desires, especially with the budget crunches coming. It is inevitable regardless. The real question is will it be sustainable for the 80% of FBS schools that are not Texas, SoCal, Ohio St, etc...

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Honestly, this feels like Step 1 towards college athletes being paid like free agents. Also, I hate it.

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 pm

The NCAA will not relinquish control of college football without a fight. This is the golden goose. I do agree with the report though and believe football should be removed from the umbrella of the NCAA. Football (and basketball to a degree)is so vastly different than the rest of college athletics it has become impossible to hold them all to the same standards.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:32 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm
Honestly, this feels like Step 1 towards college athletes being paid like free agents. Also, I hate it.
I don't disagree. The one thing that paying college football players could affect is Title IX. Currently, equal amounts of scholarship money need to be spent on male and female athletes. However, if Football players were paid a salary, instead of a scholarship and then paid their own tuition, it would greatly affect Title IX execution.

It would also be interesting to see if a school like Vanderbilt chose to play FCS football, but retained SEC membership in all other NCAA sports. Currently, they don't have that option. However a new landscape could change that.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:28 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 pm
The NCAA will not relinquish control of college football without a fight. This is the golden goose. I do agree with the report though and believe football should be removed from the umbrella of the NCAA. Football (and basketball to a degree)is so vastly different than the rest of college athletics it has become impossible to hold them all to the same standards.
The NCAA makes its money off of basketball not football, basketball is the golden goose because they run the tournament and get the revenue from that. The NCAA does not get money from the current playoff system or the bowls. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA welcomed this idea. A disproportionate amount of resources is used on regulating football without any return on those resources. This way it gets rid of a major headache and lets them concentrate on their money maker (March Madness) and the rest of the sports that they govern without any major complaints.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:40 am

I believe it was the UCLA AD that said not too long ago that if they paid all student athletes $50,000 a year, but they were responsible for all fees (tuition, housing, meal plan, etc.), every athletic department would save a ton of money. That's the ONLY way the athletes should be paid IMO
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:20 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:28 pm
NavyApp wrote:
The NCAA makes its money off of basketball not football, basketball is the golden goose because they run the tournament and get the revenue from that. The NCAA does not get money from the current playoff system or the bowls. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA welcomed this idea. A disproportionate amount of resources is used on regulating football without any return on those resources. This way it gets rid of a major headache and lets them concentrate on their money maker (March Madness) and the rest of the sports that they govern without any major complaints.
While you are right in that the NCAA entity makes more money from March Madness, the revenues from football support every other sport and every athletic department. Do you believe if football moves away from the NCAA governing body that will stay the same? I don't. All the TV money, ticket sales, merch etc will go back into football only. The NCAA will not just walk away. Also if that happens with football and they are no longer under the recruiting rules of the NCAA how long before basketball follows suit? I'd imagine not long. The schools are tired of having their reputations drug through the mud with all these "scandals".
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:03 am

The only thing that matters to me is are we included in this breakaway? All the rest can be figured out.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:20 am
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
While you are right in that the NCAA entity makes more money from March Madness, the revenues from football support every other sport and every athletic department. Do you believe if football moves away from the NCAA governing body that will stay the same? I don't. All the TV money, ticket sales, merch etc will go back into football only. The NCAA will not just walk away. Also if that happens with football and they are no longer under the recruiting rules of the NCAA how long before basketball follows suit? I'd imagine not long. The schools are tired of having their reputations drug through the mud with all these "scandals".
You may be right about the NCAA getting money from football, but that isn't what the NCAA claims on their website. Perhaps they get a small percentage from football tv and marketing rights but it is clearly stated that the majority is from basketball and there isn't even a mention of football revenue.

"Television and marketing rights fees, primarily from the Division I men’s basketball championship, generate the majority of our revenue. Championship ticket sales provide most of the remaining dollars. A small percentage of that revenue is used to operate the NCAA’s national office, including the operation of championship events"

I have always been under the impression that football is really just an anchor to the NCAA ever since the tv contract lawsuits in the early 80s sided with the schools and allowed the schools and conferences, not the NCAA, to control the tv contracts and all the monies that came from it.

I realize that I may have misunderstood your post. If you are talking about the schools getting the majority of the income from football, that is true. It is also true that at most schools, football funds the majority of the remaining sports under the athletic department. I don't think removing football only from the NCAA would change that much. Title IX would still be in play and that would protect all the women's sports and I honestly believe that most higher ups in charge at universities desire a diverse and well rounded school which includes the sports teams that they offer. You may be right but I would be surprised if we got to a place where football only funded itself to the detriment of every other team sport on campus.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:04 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 am
NavyApp wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
You may be right about the NCAA getting money from football, but that isn't what the NCAA claims on their website. Perhaps they get a small percentage from football tv and marketing rights but it is clearly stated that the majority is from basketball and there isn't even a mention of football revenue.

"Television and marketing rights fees, primarily from the Division I men’s basketball championship, generate the majority of our revenue. Championship ticket sales provide most of the remaining dollars. A small percentage of that revenue is used to operate the NCAA’s national office, including the operation of championship events"

I have always been under the impression that football is really just an anchor to the NCAA ever since the tv contract lawsuits in the early 80s sided with the schools and allowed the schools and conferences, not the NCAA, to control the tv contracts and all the monies that came from it.
You are correct about the revenue portion of this. I have to believe though the reason the NCAA is making "IT'S" revenue off of basketball is because the larger money maker, football, puts it's revenue back into the conferences and athletic departments not the NCAA cofers. If football were to break away from the NCAA I would imagine there would be discussions about football revenue being diverted away from NCAA supported programs/sports. At that point the "revenue" from basketball would have to go back into schools and conferences or many schools will have to kill many more non revenue generating sports.

Football and basketball need to be their own thing and that has been discussed ad nauseum in all corners of the country. The issue is the NCAA for some reason refuses to play from in front of the issues and(wrongly) believe that 1) people still believe the NCAA upholds amateurism and 2) schools/athletes/boosters take the NCAA enforcement serious. Emmert and his cronies will fight to the death to preserve the NCAA.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:04 am
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 am
NavyApp wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

You are correct about the revenue portion of this. I have to believe though the reason the NCAA is making "IT'S" revenue off of basketball is because the larger money maker, football, puts it's revenue back into the conferences and athletic departments not the NCAA cofers. If football were to break away from the NCAA I would imagine there would be discussions about football revenue being diverted away from NCAA supported programs/sports. At that point the "revenue" from basketball would have to go back into schools and conferences or many schools will have to kill many more non revenue generating sports.

Football and basketball need to be their own thing and that has been discussed ad nauseum in all corners of the country. The issue is the NCAA for some reason refuses to play from in front of the issues and(wrongly) believe that 1) people still believe the NCAA upholds amateurism and 2) schools/athletes/boosters take the NCAA enforcement serious. Emmert and his cronies will fight to the death to preserve the NCAA.
They make money off of basketball because they own March Madness and all the rights to it. The only way for any team to complete for a title in basketball is to be a member of the NCAA because otherwise they can't get into the tournament. I really don't know why the NCAA never set a football championship in FBS that they owned and controlled and could profit off, but they didn't. They can profit off of FCS and lower division football playoffs but the national interest isn't enough to turn the tv dial into substantial revenue. I don't believe the is any significant amount of football revenue that makes it to the NCAA so even if all teams (FBS) left it wouldn't hurt the NCAA from a financial point of view. I don't think schools will ever take basketball away from the NCAA because to do so would literally be the death knell for most other team sports championships that are funded by college basketball. The powers that be know this and I don't think any school administrator is interested in killing off virtually every other college sport. They all know that football can leave with minimal financial damage to the NCAA whereas basketball leaving would destroy the entity.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:41 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 am

They make money off of basketball because they own March Madness and all the rights to it. The only way for any team to complete for a title in basketball is to be a member of the NCAA because otherwise they can't get into the tournament. I really don't know why the NCAA never set a football championship in FBS that they owned and controlled and could profit off, but they didn't. They can profit off of FCS and lower division football playoffs but the national interest isn't enough to turn the tv dial into substantial revenue. I don't believe the is any significant amount of football revenue that makes it to the NCAA so even if all teams (FBS) left it wouldn't hurt the NCAA from a financial point of view. I don't think schools will ever take basketball away from the NCAA because to do so would literally be the death knell for most other team sports championships that are funded by college basketball. The powers that be know this and I don't think any school administrator is interested in killing off virtually every other college sport. They all know that football can leave with minimal financial damage to the NCAA whereas basketball leaving would destroy the entity.
The point I am trying to make is this: At the majority of schools(especially at the P5 level) football generates far more profit for the schools and conferences than basketball; it is not really close. Yes March Madness brings in $800+ million, but like you said that goes to the NCAA. If football leaves the NCAA governing body I don't see a world where the football programs would use their profits to support money losing sports, especially if they were under a different umbrella. So either the NCAA would have to reallocate more of that $800 million to the schools or athletic departments will have to make tough decisions. Non football conferences would have to smaller and much more regional to cut down on travel, less scholarships for other sports etc. Personally College football is the golden handcuffs of the NCAA; whereas they don't generate a lot of money for the governing body (NCAA) they do support the schools in a way that allows the NCAA to cash in come March.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 am

Once they start paying athletes variable rates it's over for G5 programs, don't kid yourself that we'll be at the adults table.

On a larger scale the higher education system will look dramatically different in 20 years, and not in a good way for schools like App.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:41 am
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 am

The point I am trying to make is this: At the majority of schools(especially at the P5 level) football generates far more profit for the schools and conferences than basketball; it is not really close. Yes March Madness brings in $800+ million, but like you said that goes to the NCAA. If football leaves the NCAA governing body I don't see a world where the football programs would use their profits to support money losing sports, especially if they were under a different umbrella. So either the NCAA would have to reallocate more of that $800 million to the schools or athletic departments will have to make tough decisions. Non football conferences would have to smaller and much more regional to cut down on travel, less scholarships for other sports etc. Personally College football is the golden handcuffs of the NCAA; whereas they don't generate a lot of money for the governing body (NCAA) they do support the schools in a way that allows the NCAA to cash in come March.
I get your point now, I just don't think schools will stop supporting their other sports just because football has a different governing body. I may be completely wrong on that but I just don't see it on a large scale level. I really think most administrators desire to have a vibrant sports department with more teams then just football. I do think we are in for vast changes once athletes start making money off their name, image, and I think those changes will be far more impactful then a new governing body for football.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:02 pm

I've said on here a few years ago when we had a long three on this topic that I think the years from now college football and maybe all sports but mainly football will simply be representatives if the school not necessarily student athletes. It will be semi pro or fully pro. Each school would have a team affiliate instead of truly their team like charlotte has the hornets/panthers. They are "charlotte's team.". So there would still be a unc football team but the players would be getting paid and may or may not be actual students at the school. One way or another the "student athletes" concept is going to go away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”