Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bear as Secondary Mascot

GoApps70
School: Appalachian State

Bear as Secondary Mascot

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm

We need to spice things up. Let's get a bear from Grandfather's Mountain to enter the stadium with Yosef as our secondary mascot. We could buy a good one that Yosef could wrestle with inside the stadium and loan him to Grandfather's Mountain the rest of the time. It would help our "pitiful market share."
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

appfury

Re: Bear as Secondary Mascot

Unread post by appfury » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm pretty sure you are just 'poking the bear' here but if not, wow, I think you need to get back on the meds.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:36 pm

appfury wrote:I'm pretty sure you are just 'poking the bear' here but if not, wow, I think you need to get back on the meds.
Can you imagine our bear, Daniel Boone, running in ahead of the team into the stadium, kind of like the famous Colorado football team entering with their buffalo. Would be great. People, especially kids, would want to tune into our games just to see the entrance.
Like I said on the old MMB, could get the crowd singing Daniel Boone is a bear, a biiiiigggggg bear. Sounds simplistic, but could really work.

They used to have roadside stands where you could wrestle bears for a certain price. Imagine we couldn't do that with PETA so active, but at least they could attend our games and take off their clothes like they do. Think it would be much better than LSU's Tiger sitting in that cage in that humid climate, or having an eagle fly over the stadium for Georgia Southern.

Would be great. Probably will not happen, but would be something. As long as we didn't have to shoot the bear on national TV it should work.
Last edited by GoApps70 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 pm

It's so politically incorrect!!! I love it.
We need a real Yosef's cabin too for Yosef and the bear to hang out.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Could dig a cave right beside Yosef's cabin for Daniel Boone. Then get DB to come out when we score a touchdown.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Good idea. Right now we need all kinds of ideas because I do not feel like we have enough intricate traditions going foward to aspire to the next level. Always liked the idea of a cabin built in a clearing in the woods on the south end up the hill. Hey this idea of a "black bear" could be good thing. Can you imagine the slogans and banners stating "It is always a bear market for visiting teams in Boone" We would have to name the bear Boonie Bear.
KICK ASS!!!

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 pm

Great idea! Have always liked the idea of having a Yosefs cabin in a clearing in the woods on the hill at the south end. We would have to name the bear "Boonie Bear"
KICK ASS!!!

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

Since you brought up the topic of a secondary mascot. I have an idea that will make a big impact and will be historically correct. Settlers of the high country were avid hunters. Many of these families came from Germany. One particular family had the name "Plott." This family bred a hound dog specifically trained to hunt down big game, such as bear and boar. The dogs were called Plott Hounds. Over time these dogs became legendary because of their courage and tenacity. To formally recognize the Plott Hound for its contribution to NC history, NC designated the Plott Hound as the State Dog. To me it would be an honor for ASU to adopt the Plott Hound as its Secondary Masot. ASU would truly be representing the settlers of the high country by this replication of Appalachian history.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

appgrunt71 wrote:Since you brought up the topic of a secondary mascot. I have an idea that will make a big impact and will be historically correct. Settlers of the high country were avid hunters. Many of these families came from Germany. One particular family had the name "Plott." This family bred a hound dog specifically trained to hunt down big game, such as bear and boar. The dogs were called Plott Hounds. Over time these dogs became legendary because of their courage and tenacity. To formally recognize the Plott Hound for its contribution to NC history, NC designated the Plott Hound as the State Dog. To me it would be an honor for ASU to adopt the Plott Hound as its Secondary Masot. ASU would truly be representing the settlers of the high country by this replication of Appalachian history.
Now that is an idea I could get behind. No self-respecting mountain man was ever seen without his gun or his dog. A Plott Hound on the sidelines with Yosef would be awesome!

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 am

When I was in the military, I was stationed at West Point. As most know the mascot for the academy is the Army Mule. What's interesting is that the mascot is donated. Across the nation owners compete for the honor of having their mule selected. I say all this because I'm sure we could set up the same process for the Plott Hound. I think it would also be neat to have an on campus kennel for the Plott Hounds, under the care of students.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

I think that's a great idea about the Plott Hound. Some good historically accurate depiction of the area plus being the state dog doesn't hurt.
Had thought about a dog as a secondary mascot, but too many bulldogs and terriers around already, even a Suluki, etc. However, the Plott Hound idea makes sense and would truly honor a breed of dog that should be recognized for their loyal service.
Thought one reference in the Wiki Plott Hound segment was interesting.
" They have a superb treeing instinct, take readily to water and are quick to learn. They are often indifferent to other dogs but seek the attention of humans. Voice is open trailing, bawl and chop. They have a clear voice that carries well."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plott_Hound" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still want a bear also.
Wish we had a huge one to great the Grizzlies.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Love the hound idea. I remember Wofford bringing their little terrier a couple years ago, complete with his little dog house.

However, the university is still having trouble (apparently) taking care of and maintaining Yosef's Rifle. If we're having problems with an inanimate object is it a wise idea to bring a living, breathing animal into the equation? :lol:

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 pm

RankinApp wrote: However, the university is still having trouble (apparently) taking care of and maintaining Yosef's Rifle. If we're having problems with an inanimate object is it a wise idea to bring a living, breathing animal into the equation? :lol:
Would have to ensure the safety and care of any animal used as a mascot. The idea of having an on campus kennel with the students taking care of an animal is appealing, but could have disasterous results. Especially other schools trying to capture the mascot, or students not living up to their responsibilities. Would think a dog would need to be kept off campus at a secret location by someone who has dogs or had dogs and has the area and cares about them. Best scenario would be someone locally that owns one that could be the mascot.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Please, please, please --- NO secondary mascot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”