Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium parking deck

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium parking deck

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:27 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 am
So now Men's Tennis, ID Track, OD Track and Women's Tennis, OD Track, ID Track are all homeless. How much longer until we add Softball to that list. And no the courts on Rivers street won't work for matches due to cracks in them.
They are all going to old HS property, including softball.
The M & W ID Track and Field teams have not been displaced. The university has no intention to build an indoor track and field arena at 105 tract. Let's not make situation worse than reality.
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

The lost surface space in Stadium will be mitigated by the new Coltrane/Gardner lot, I think.
The new quad in the middle of the dorms will be a great space for Greeks and student orgs, as well.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:54 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm
The lost surface space in Stadium will be mitigated by the new Coltrane/Gardner lot, I think.
The new quad in the middle of the dorms will be a great space for Greeks and student orgs, as well.

You are right that new quad is going to be great for student tailgating. I think once all is said and done, tailgating and atmosphere will actually be better than it is today. Different from what we are used to but better. I believe you will have multiple areas right around the stadium as opposed to one. Could even turn into a competition between lots for best atmosphere. I’m excited about the future! GO APPS!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:54 pm
I still question what this is doing to the game day atmosphere. I understand you cant let 6 Saturdays per year limit progress, but tailgating, and the overall atmosphere does bring a lot of people to App. Even though we are netting more spaces, who wants to tailgate inside a parking deck? It is hotter in the summer, cooler in the winter and loud. Where will people be flying their flags, App themed airplanes, grilling, playing cornhole and football? People don't even know where they are going to be parking next year. It seems like we could have re-built dorms in place and built the new facility and still achieved the new state of the art facility we are looking to have and not sacrificed so much of the ambiance that makes a fall Saturday in Boone such a special place.

Where would you propose to house 2,500 men and women for 3+ years while their dorms were being razed and new ones built (assuming, of course, that the old sites would meet space requirements for new, spacious and upscale residence halls)? I can almost assure you that the old sites wouldn't make muster even if there were places to re-locate the displaced students.
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:08 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:27 pm
AppDawg wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
So now Men's Tennis, ID Track, OD Track and Women's Tennis, OD Track, ID Track are all homeless. How much longer until we add Softball to that list. And no the courts on Rivers street won't work for matches due to cracks in them.
The M & W ID Track and Field teams have not been displaced. The university has no intention to build an indoor track and field arena at 105 tract. Let's not make situation worse than reality.
My apologies... no harm intended. Missed the ID qualifier.... not sure why they would’ve even been mentioned. What has happened with the holmes dome?

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:26 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 pm
The Rock wrote:
I still question what this is doing to the game day atmosphere. I understand you cant let 6 Saturdays per year limit progress, but tailgating, and the overall atmosphere does bring a lot of people to App. Even though we are netting more spaces, who wants to tailgate inside a parking deck? It is hotter in the summer, cooler in the winter and loud. Where will people be flying their flags, App themed airplanes, grilling, playing cornhole and football? People don't even know where they are going to be parking next year. It seems like we could have re-built dorms in place and built the new facility and still achieved the new state of the art facility we are looking to have and not sacrificed so much of the ambiance that makes a fall Saturday in Boone such a special place.
I would say that there will be an option for an upgraded surface space when renewing for future years. There will be a number that will want to park in stadium but not tailgate.

By 2021, there should be around 160-260 surface spaces available plus the top of the deck.

Plus they put about 100 more spaces where the tennis courts were.
There also will be a quad area between all the new dorms being built... recall the YOSEF/End of season survey a year or two ago where there were a lot of questions that hinted at an “ole miss” Grove atmosphere. The questions revolved around having a tent and table ready for you, options for catering or BYO... Not saying it’ll happen, but we will have the space to provide such an opportunity. Ideally, this would be for those that park inside the deck and want to tailgate outdoors.

Change is hard & call me crazy, but we may just end up with an even better atmosphere.
Totally agree. This is one change that isn't hard for me...I'm looking forward to it. I love the idea of a large grass area, and prefer that more than the current stadium lot setup.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:48 pm

The Rock wrote:
Just follow the example of the Library Deck. In good weather, there's a party up top and the rest of us fill the grass spaces around the deck (where you can still throw the football and grill). In the rain, we have covered tailgating in the deck. Not as much fun, but it works.
Plus the Library bathrooms, the bookstore and King Street are around the corner.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss the walk through the stadium lot prior to kickoff. But, I bet some of the tailgates in Stadium will appreciate the green grass and not being as cramped. It'll just be different in the new scenario.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:48 pm
The Rock wrote:
Just follow the example of the Library Deck. In good weather, there's a party up top and the rest of us fill the grass spaces around the deck (where you can still throw the football and grill). In the rain, we have covered tailgating in the deck. Not as much fun, but it works.
Plus the Library bathrooms, the bookstore and King Street are around the corner.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss the walk through the stadium lot prior to kickoff. But, I bet some of the tailgates in Stadium will appreciate the green grass and not being as cramped. It'll just be different in the new scenario.
There’s a party on top of the Liberry Deck every game regardless of the weather. The last game of the year is an all night afair.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:15 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:56 am
I thought the deck would be taller. Seems like we're missing an opportunity for more parking.
hope it is expandable higher up for future needs

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm
The Rock wrote:

Where would you propose to house 2,500 men and women for 3+ years while their dorms were being razed and new ones built (assuming, of course, that the old sites would meet space requirements for new, spacious and upscale residence halls)? I can almost assure you that the old sites wouldn't make muster even if there were places to re-locate the displaced students.
Build a new dorm in place of the old one that was torn down, then remodel one dorm at a time like was done with Doughton, White etc. With that phasing, maybe we could actually afford to pay for those projects ourselves, and not put these projects in the hands of private developers that we will have to pay rent to for decades, then buy an aging building outright or risk losing it.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 am

Frankly, I'm grateful we're getting ride of that eyesore, the stadium parking lot. It's ludicrous to have that much space in the middle of campus as a paved lot. It might make sense if we had unlimited space to expand.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I would guess the quad, if it is allowed to be a Greek/Student tailgate area, will be pretty cold and windy for 75% of the season. I don't think a lot of sun can get in and those buildings may likely create a wind tunnel.
Also, as great as the student atmosphere can be, as long as the weather is nice, what percentage of tailgating attendance does that represent? 25%?
That courtyard is a relatively small area that does not have room for 75% of tailgaters.
Again, I get it. I know this project was designed for overall campus "needs" and not for 6 days each year, but this project obviously wasn't designed with tailgating and game days in mind. If it was, we would already know exactly how many spaces we would have after construction, and where people would be moving to at that time.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:23 am

I would assume that mid day, the sun would be overhead. How about we see the finished product before we throw it under the bus?
Last edited by hapapp on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppKing21

Unread post by AppKing21 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 am
Build a new dorm in place of the old one that was torn down, then remodel one dorm at a time like was done with Doughton, White etc. With that phasing, maybe we could actually afford to pay for those projects ourselves, and not put these projects in the hands of private developers that we will have to pay rent to for decades, then buy an aging building outright or risk losing it.
It would probably cost more to renovate the aging dorms than to replace them. Aren't the dorms being demolished all around 50+ years old?

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:47 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:27 pm
AppDawg wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Track has to do as much of their practices outdoors as possible due to the lack of indoor facilities. When they can use the Holmes Center Concourse, it is still a 4 lane 300M track that all the runners have to share. In VG, the throwers have about 30 feet of space, the high jumpers and pole vaulters have smaller run up areas than normal and are feet away from the railing, the runners have about 150 ft of space, and the long and high jumpers are out of luck unless they can get to the pit on the Holmes Center floor that is under where the stands are when pulled out. The ID teams have to practice as OD to be able to practice and train. Also the teams are mainly the same so the training for one bleeds into the other.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am

The Rock wrote:
Per the BOG Docs: "At the expiration or earlier termination of the Ground Lease Agreement, the
Leased Property will revert to Appalachian and ownership of the Project
will be transferred to Appalachian free and clear of all liens and
encumbrances, without any contribution or compensation. At the expiration
or termination of the Ground Lease Agreement, the Project must be in good
and operable condition, subject to the age and reasonable wear and tear of
the buildings. "

We have done the phased renovation and replacement for years and we have never been able to keep pace with the aging of the building due to the complexity of renovations (abatement and major code compliance issues) and funding issues (state money and over extended debt on facilities). It takes 18-24 months to renovate a dorm and about the same time to build new that will be cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Per the University, it would have cost another $73 Million to do the same project and with the P3 they don't have to take the lowest bid from the state. The Choate can bring in their subs that they can control and not have to deal with who got the lowest bid. In the long run, we will get better constructed buildings for a lower cost than we could do it through the state.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 am

The P3 partnership is allowing us to build new dorms while utilizing the existing dorms. None of the existing dorms will be razed until the new dorms are open.

Taking this path allows the University to maintain the same number of beds on campus as we have today. Once the two new buildings currently under construction come online the number of beds will begin to increase as they are bigger than those dorms they are replacing.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:53 am

Appgrouch, you finally are someone on here who knows something about T&F.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

appgrouch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am
The Rock wrote:
Per the BOG Docs: "At the expiration or earlier termination of the Ground Lease Agreement, the
Leased Property will revert to Appalachian and ownership of the Projec
t
the buildings. "

We have done the phased renovation and replacement for years and we have never been able to keep pace with the aging of the building due to the complexity of renovations (abatement and major code compliance issues) and funding issues (state money and over extended debt on facilities). It takes 18-24 months to renovate a dorm and about the same time to build new that will be cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Per the University, it would have cost another $73 Million to do the same project and with the P3 they don't have to take the lowest bid from the state. The Choate can bring in their subs that they can control and not have to deal with who got the lowest bid. In the long run, we will get better constructed buildings for a lower cost than we could do it through the state.
Just in time to replace or spend huge funds on renovation. Just so the PTBs are aware and prepared for that a decade down the road.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am
appgrouch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am
The Rock wrote:
Leased Property will revert to Appalachian and ownership of the Projec
t
the buildings. "

Just in time to replace or spend huge funds on renovation. Just so the PTBs are aware and prepared for that a decade down the road.
Wouldn't they need to be replaced or renovated in 30 years regardless of how they were built?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”