Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gordon's Fisherman Logo and App-Ah-Lay-Chun

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gordon's Fisherman Logo and App-Ah-Lay-Chun

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:04 pm

I really do not mind the Flying Yosef logo.... I mainly prefer the block A. I would love to do a campaign to purchase the ESPN special Yosef logo, that is by far my favorite of all time. Does anyone know what it would take for the school to make a play at purchasing that? I’m not sure if everyone is as high on it as I am, but I think that would become the best logo in college football.
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 am

I actually don't mind the Flying Yosef logo either although I liked the complete logo with the mountain range in the background better. The complete logo is too much for merchandising though, so we wound up with a partial and the "Gorton's Fisherman" logo is born.

Creating a logo that says "Mountaineer" is difficult though. If you showed Victory Yosef to most people who are unfamiliar with athletics, they'd say is was "hillbilly." Yeah...I know....we embrace that as the indigenous people of our region but the word "Mountaineer" doesn't pop out. The West Virginia version (Daniel Boone type character) comes across more as "Pioneer" to most people. I think App should have been the ones who embrace that logo (long ago) since we're IN Boone, but that ship sailed long ago and I prefer a unique logo over appearing to copy WVU.

I don't mind Victory Yosef but I'm not crazy about it now. I mainly embrace it because it's more consistent with what we had when I was in school. For the record, I always really liked the snarling Mountaineer Mania logo better and I wish we could strike a deal there.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am

Just, BE Yosef, we have the best mascot, because it is us.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

Wish our logo was more like your tattoo. Fighting Yoset is boss. Current tired looking Yosef is depressing

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am

Question: If Appalachian had been built in West Jefferson, would we be the Jeffersonians instead?

Unread post by 8993 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I always thought I was in the minority in saying that I don't really care for our current Yosef logo. I think it is boring and was brought back to pander to some of our older fans who were reluctant to continue to donate if we moved to the FBS. I totally get that tactic, too: you aren't getting your way here, so we'll give you something else to make you happy.

I think App has a very cool and edgy aesthetic that is, at the same time, classic and timeless. I think our logo should say that. The Block A already does. The Yosef logo does not.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 pm

The block A has class. I like that in a logo. Some team's helmet decals are distracting. The A for Appalachian is iconic. You know who you are playing. I will hold my breath and hope it is the block A on Appalachian's helmets this fall. It was hard enough to get used to the black block A after looking at the white block A after 24 years.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 pm

LennyDee wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm
yosef95 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm
I gotta say, the old-school Yosef is tired. I like the strutting/angry Yoset. Kinda like the one they use at Mountaineer Mania
I actually got a tattoo with that logo as inspiration the weekend of the conference championship game. Not sure how to upload an image locally to a post so I made it my avatar. Please don't roast. Long time lurker, new poster!
I personally can't imagine myself ever getting a tattoo, but if a miracle did happen and something compelled me to do it, it would be App related. That, my friend, is a cool looking, ass kicking Yosef!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm

We've at least given people an out who can't get the pronunciation right. If you can't say it right, just go with "App State"

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 pm
I personally can't imagine myself ever getting a tattoo, but if a miracle did happen and something compelled me to do it, it would be App related. That, my friend, is a cool looking, ass kicking Yosef!
Join the crowd. My first tat was Yosef at almost 40. Though I do like the old school logo just went with the espn version from a couple years ago.

APP72

Unread post by APP72 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 am

8993, you are completely delusional by implying that US OLDER FANS were the fans wanting to stay FCS! There are so many OLDER FANS that have been trying to push for our Football program to go to FBS when East Carolina made the move almost 40 years ago! I remember so many fans on here that are YOUNG FANS who were AGAINST the move to FBS! They would want you to FORGET who they are but many of us on here KNOW who they are! LOL
A CHAMPION IS SOMEONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN’T!
JACK DEMPSEY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 am

Victory Yosef was re-introduced as a merchandising tool. It was supposed to be for a limited time but sales far exceeded expectations and it has remained as one of our primary logos (again).

AppStateTailgate

Unread post by AppStateTailgate » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 am

For the new App State Tailgate website I actually took a deep dive into this very subject. I did the history of Yosef and his logos going all the way back to the University’s founding. Researched lots of old newspapers and yearbooks. It ended up pretty long but I was actually interested in it for myself. It will be up on March 1.

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am

The ESPN version (my avatar) is my favorite, by far. Wish we could license it somehow. It has an edge to it, while also staying classy to the retro look.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am

PhillyApp wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am
The ESPN version (my avatar) is my favorite, by far. Wish we could license it somehow. It has an edge to it, while also staying classy to the retro look.
Yes, this should become a focus on how we can acquire the trademark to it.
The Appalachian State

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am
PhillyApp wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am
Yes, this should become a focus on how we can acquire the trademark to it.
App State Football tweeted some pictures today of players wearing Nike-branded shirts featuring the ESPN yosef logo.

I assume this means the school has acquired some sort of license from ESPN to use the logo. While these shirts are probably team-only, I'm hopeful we'll see this logo on fan merchandise soon. Possibly even as a secondary/alternate helmet decal.

Unread post by 8993 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

This is how we should be branding ourselves, in my opinion. We need to relegate our current Yosef to a once-a-season throwback logo and bring in the modern ESPN Yosef as our secondary. The black and white black 'A' can be used whenever and wherever else, as long as they are done in the right color schemes.

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 am

8993 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

This is how we should be branding ourselves, in my opinion. We need to relegate our current Yosef to a once-a-season throwback logo and bring in the modern ESPN Yosef as our secondary. The black and white black 'A' can be used whenever and wherever else, as long as they are done in the right color schemes.
Absolutely love it!!!!! Somebody pitch this to the powers that be, ASAP!
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm not sure how ESPN is allowed to create their own logo for a team.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm

8993 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

To quote Costanza..... “I think it moved”
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”