Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:08 am

I'll start by saying this may have an affect on my season ticket future BUT what the heck did anyone expect? Somebody else can not continue to pick up your tab forever. Did anyone really expect that the move to FBS would not be more expensive? Did anyone really think a " Corporate Sponsor " would come to the rescue. Old saying but still true. Champagne taste on a beer salary. This thread will go on for a few more weeks and then another one will start about how we need more things that we can't pay for.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 am

AppDawg, I hear you. I did not address the three year commitment component. I agree that it is another device/strategy to get more consistency in revenue. I’m not sure how effective it will be. For some people it will be a deterrent, for others no issue and yet others won’t abide. Really what leverage does the department have to enforce the 3 yr.commitment? Are they going to put a lien on your house? Of course not. They may prohibit you from buying season tickets and maybe individual tickets unless you pay up….. which seems counterintuitive. There are several ways around this situation anyway. The department should be up front about what would/will happen if a person does not meet this 3yr commitment… my guess is not much.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 am

I understand that some of our "peers" already do this and I understand the need to move in this direction. That said, I'm very concerned about the impact this is going to have on season ticket sales. Implementing this policy in all at once seems to be a dangerous tactic. I HOPE they have some market analysis showing the projected impacts and that the projections are reasonable. This just doesn't feel good from the consumer perspective.

The issue with comparisons against ECU as "peers" is that, although they are peers on the field, they have a 30+ year head start on building support and infrastructure. I hope this doesn't blow up on us.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:33 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 am
AppDawg, I hear you. I did not address the three year commitment component. I agree that it is another device/strategy to get more consistency in revenue. I’m not sure how effective it will be. For some people it will be a deterrent, for others no issue and yet others won’t abide. Really what leverage does the department have to enforce the 3 yr.commitment? Are they going to put a lien on your house? Of course not. They may prohibit you from buying season tickets and maybe individual tickets unless you pay up….. which seems counterintuitive. There are several ways around this situation anyway. The department should be up front about what would/will happen if a person does not meet this 3yr commitment… my guess is not much.
I think the three year commitment was to lock in the pricing for you. So if you bought in at $250 this year, and they go up to $275 next year. You only pay the $250. If you opt out at year two, they aren’t going to come after you.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 am

I believe the 3-year commitment is to keep current ticket pricing of $250 per season ticket for 3 years so that you don't have to pay for any increases that may happen during the next 3 years.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:38 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 am
Certainly there are ways around it… I personally though like being a man of my word. The ticket commitment itself (without per seat tied / forced increase) no problem. Because of the points system, which now seems defunct, I have actually been making 5 yr rolling pledges at a time. $X / year for 5 years. Unfortunately, while I have committed to giving well in excess of per seat amount overall, it is the annual amount that drives now. I also know my specific situation I am in the minority and do not expect to be the tail wagging the dog.

At the end of the day, It is what it is. Stinks for me personally and I am going to drop 2 tickets but if it gets the program & all of athletics where we want it - Let’s Go.

I hope it works.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:39 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 am
I believe the 3-year commitment is to keep current ticket pricing of $250 per season ticket for 3 years so that you don't have to pay for any increases that may happen during the next 3 years.
Ticket prices, may very well be set for 3 years. My understanding though is in ‘23 we all have to increase to a per seat minimum donation to purchase those tickets at a price of $250.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:55 am

I am to understand that there will be Zoom calls to allow for people to seek clarifications and vent frustrations.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:18 am

Looking at the parking map attached to my email just received it looks like the old dorms are still there, like Gardner, Coltrane, etc. Have they not been torn down yet? I might need to make a trip up before selecting my parking preferences to see the set up of the new parking lots.

Also, random question, do kids under 3 require a ticket or are they allowed in and can sit on laps?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:20 am

Didn't we increase season ticket holders by almost 2000 from '19 to '21? Was there any meaningful increase in YC membership?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:31 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:20 am
Didn't we increase season ticket holders by almost 2000 from '19 to '21? Was there any meaningful increase in YC membership?
Negative

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:33 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:31 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Negative
Sorry, to which?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:41 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:33 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:31 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Negative
Sorry, to which?
The club hasn’t grown at the same level as season tickets sold.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:44 am

So in 2023 each ticket will require a separate Yosef club donation. Do we expect the YC donation levels to remain the same? Meaning if I pay $500 YC level now and purchase 2 tickets per year, will the I then have to pay $500 per seat to the YC for a total YC donation of $1000...or will the Yosef Club amount be slightly less for each seat...say $300?

I have friends who have as many as 6 seats (and have for many years attending practically every game. At the $500 YC level that would jump from $500 to $3000 per year in '23...in addition to purchasing the seats.

If THIS is the plan I predict a HUGE drop in YC members and game attendance. This can have a devastating negative impact on our overall program.

I have read the comparisons to other peer G5 schools but most of the programs mentioned are in large metropolitan areas which tend to have higher average household incomes. Very little similarity between the greater Boone area and Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, & Orlando.

One reason ASU has, and continues to have such high attendance figures is due to the reasonable pricing. With so many games being televised now this most likely will drive more fans to stay home and watch on TV rather than making regular drives up the mountain.

This could very easily turn around and bite the athletic program in the behind.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:03 pm

What pisses me off is we have deigned another atmosphere that punishes a family.

It is great for the group of individual drunks and retirees (a couple). To HELL with anyone that values a family event.

If I haven’t been clear it more than pisses me off.

I am sure I will pay up for my wife and I but I will probably go back to single tickets and espn+. I can invite the whole neighborhood over and grill steaks and set up a big screen and watch espn+.

Our competition are not ecu, UFC’s. Our competition is anyone going after my entertainment dollar.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:03 pm
What pisses me off is we have deigned another atmosphere that punishes a family.

It is great for the group of individual drunks and retirees (a couple). To HELL with anyone that values a family event.

I am sure I will pay up for my wife and I but I will probably go back to single tickets and espn+. I can invite the whole neighborhood over and grill steaks and set up a big screen and watch espn+.

Our competition are not ecu, UFC’s. Our competition is anyone going after my entertainment dollar.
I get your frustration, but i honestly don't get your point. ESPN+ was always cheaper.

If we have approximately 9000 season ticket holders and approximately 9000 student tickets are sold, that leaves 8000-10000 walkup tickets. The biggest group of fans at the games were always walk ups who aren't really impacted by this (unless my numbers are way off).

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:23 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

I get your frustration, but i honestly don't get your point. ESPN+ was always cheaper.

If we have approximately 9000 season ticket holders and approximately 9000 student tickets are sold, that leaves 8000-10000 walkup tickets. The biggest group of fans at the games were always walk ups who aren't really impacted by this (unless my numbers are way off).
Nail on head. We do and have always relied on the walk-up ticket - many single game tickets available up until the week before all games last season. Therefore, how is there a waiting list for season tickets of 200+ per the MAF explanation? Somethings simply are not computing for me.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:29 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I will try to make the point easier to understand. This a a HUGE increase on a family. I have to join my 14, 16, 21, and 23 year old. So my $500 YosefClub donation goes $2400 to buy 6 tickets. Close to 500% increase.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:41 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I will try to make the point easier to understand. This a a HUGE increase on a family. I have to join my 14, 16, 21, and 23 year old. So my $500 YosefClub donation goes $2400 to buy 6 tickets. Close to 500% increase.
I agree that there are some issues with the per seat donation requirement. Personally, I think it is unfair for you with your teenagers. But in fairmess, there is an argument that a $500 donation shouldn't guarantee you four adult tickets. Anyway.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:03 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

This example would seem to suggest not:

Betty Boone has 4 seats in section 113 and donates $500. She has parked in Rivers St Deck. In 2022, she will need to donate $650 to keep her parking. In 2023, her seats will be $175 per seat, she will need to donate an additional $50, for a total of $700, to keep her parking and seats.

It seems that you would need to increase your donation by $400, if like the example above you have to go to $650 to keep your parking if you are in somewhere like Rivers Street Deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”