Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

It's Bur....Joey Time! - GW discussion

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: It's Bur....Joey Time! - GW discussion

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:53 am

I’m still patient

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:54 am

Always nice to wake up on a Sunday after a Saturday win.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

ashugh

Unread post by ashugh » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:56 am

Defense has to be a concern. Looked slower than any App team I can remember back to the 80’s. Huge holes on misdirections. Tackling was a disappointment. We picked up two freak turnovers with the batted ball (receiver was open) and the fumble. Both times they were driving. Without those turnovers there’s no guarantee we even win.
Was hoping we had a 4 year starter that would have a big day. But Joey is our QB.
UNC looked like the best team they’ve fielded in 20 years.
Hope all this is an aberration, but it has the early makings of another long and disappointing season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:59 am

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:43 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:14 am
Good Sunday morning. Some of ya’ll need to go find some Jesus today. Have a blessed one.
Im preaching twice today. Is that good enough?😉
I consider that going above and beyond.

savoyspecial21

Unread post by savoyspecial21 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:05 am

Just once i want to see a Coach Clark led team come out hungry, stay hungry and finish hungry.

At this point sluggish starts are a Coach Clark trademark.

I realize it's tough with college kids, but i can't remember the last time App played a truly complete game.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:05 am

Aguilar
11/13
4 Touchdowns 0 interceptions
QBR 96.3 (Higher QBR than any of Brice’s games)

Took over a stagnant offense, and turned it into one that scored 4 touchdowns and one field goal in 6 drives!

Didn’t think the message board would be this negative.

We found our QB! Bring on the Heels

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:08 am

I want to counter some of the complaints about our defense. Outside of the usual 10-15 big time P5 programs who are loaded with the top players will there really be a next tier team who has a defense which can keep a good offense below 20 points a game? College offenses are simply ahead of college defenses at the second and probably 3rd tier (so to speak). While I agree that it looks like we don't have the same speed on defense I think you need to consider the style of offense teams play now. It's almost like a bend don't break approach. Look at scores yesterday. I don't know how GW compares to Stephen Austin but Troy allowed 30 to them. For what it's worth GW did return a whole bunch of experienced guys from a pretty decent team. I've always heard that offenses tend to be ahead of defense early on. I think that next Saturday we are going to need to use a good bit of 2 tight end sets and try to shorten the game with running. We won't be able to shred this UNC defense like last year.

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 am

I’m not saying it’s all positive but we beat a very good FCS team by 20+. They’re going to do some damage this year and they’d beat Arkansas State, Georgia State and Old Dominion right now head to head. The first half was also very clear that we were just trying to win without running more than a handful of different plays.

Aguilar looked absolutely phenomenal and I think it’s time to have the discussion of whether or not this is App State’s most talented receiver room of all time - yes there have been better individual players but never in my life have I seen App field a team where 4 guys at any given moment are liable to be open for a 50 yard bomb. I really hope Clark and co. lean into that just a bit. Running may be our identity but if you got it, you got it.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:16 am

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 am
I’m not saying it’s all positive but we beat a very good FCS team by 20+. They’re going to do some damage this year and they’d beat Arkansas State, Georgia State and Old Dominion right now head to head. The first half was also very clear that we were just trying to win without running more than a handful of different plays.

Aguilar looked absolutely phenomenal and I think it’s time to have the discussion of whether or not this is App State’s most talented receiver room of all time - yes there have been better individual players but never in my life have I seen App field a team where 4 guys at any given moment are liable to be open for a 50 yard bomb. I really hope Clark and co. lean into that just a bit. Running may be our identity but if you got it, you got it.
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.
The Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:17 am

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 am

To be fair, Ark State might be one of the 2 or 3 worst teams in FBS…
Give 'em hell!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:19 am

College games went by quickly yesterday. Wonder what the average time was?

It will be interesting to see how these games play out with the new clock rule changes.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:43 am

About the presser, this was the first time the media has really pushed Clark in something. That's their job since fans can't directly do it.

I do feel like Clark contradicted himself by saying Ryan's "kinda jammed finger" would be evaluated again and then said he believes Ryan will have a great week of practice and he'll decide on Thursday or Friday.

Clark also said the coaches were 50-50 split on Ryan or Joey and he made the decision for Ryan.

I wasn't the only one who heard the broken hand/finger and surgery rumor at halftime. Maybe Clark hadn't been briefed on all that before the presser? Or he was downplaying it. Or he's wanting to play mental chess with Mack?

I mean, Burger came out late after halftime and his hand was clearly bandaged. I've jammed and broken fingers and I never got a bandage for a jammed finger.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:45 am

ashugh wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:56 am
Defense has to be a concern. Looked slower than any App team I can remember back to the 80’s. Huge holes on misdirections. Tackling was a disappointment. We picked up two freak turnovers with the batted ball (receiver was open) and the fumble. Both times they were driving. Without those turnovers there’s no guarantee we even win.
Was hoping we had a 4 year starter that would have a big day. But Joey is our QB.
Hope all this is an aberration, but it has the early makings of another long and disappointing season.
Attachments
E97B12FC-7CA0-4C32-8446-D333134F68E8.jpeg

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:02 am

ashugh wrote:
Those were not “freak” turnovers. They were forced turnovers when we applied pressure on the QB. When, we turned up the pressure, the Defense forced a three and out and three turnovers in four straight possessions.

Does the defense need work? Absolutely. But, we were in a base scheme with no pre snap movements or line shifts. I assume that was intentional. (GW was shifting their line pre-snap on almost every play)

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:11 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:45 am
rbarthle17 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:50 pm
The next three weeks are going to be such a mental test for us. You've got the two most hyped games of the season back to back, then go across the country and up another 3000 feet to play At Wyoming who just knocked off Texas Tech. And right now that Wyoming game screams letdown to me coming off the highs of the UNC/ECU duo.

2-2 would be a welcome start heading into conference play. 1-3 ain't out of the question though.
Last time I posted was on the 2023 Football Schedule thread back in Feb. and now someone else has figured it out also. This GW game needed to be in between the UNC-ECU games or between Wyoming and ECU game (emotional spacer), the travel to Wyoming back to Boone then to Monroe for a 12pm start, a trap game waiting to happen I'm afraid.

The admin doesn't control the schedule of SBC games, but the admin does control non conf games.

The 'placement' of games is as important as 'who' you play.

2022 emotional roller coaster of UNC heartbreak and thrill of SEC win took it's toll...should be interesting to watch this 2023 play out.
So, opening up with a new QB (and that overall 1st half performance) against UNC would have been a better option?

I get what you are saying, but aren’t we the program that will play Anyone, Anywhere at Anytime?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:14 am

I may be wrong in my assessment. I believe that Burger and JA are pretty equal. In the series that he played, Burger was more read option. On his pass plays, it seemed that he had pass rush in his face. I am actually happy to have either QB under center. Not sure how long Burger played with the hurt hand. Seemed like a couple of fingers were taped up for several series. JA gave the team a spark and has a strong arm. I believe we got two QBs for this year if Burger is not out for an extended time.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:16 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:02 am
ashugh wrote:
Those were not “freak” turnovers. They were forced turnovers when we applied pressure on the QB. When, we turned up the pressure, the Defense forced a three and out and three turnovers in four straight possessions.

Does the defense need work? Absolutely. But, we were in a base scheme with no pre snap movements or line shifts. I assume that was intentional. (GW was shifting their line pre-snap on almost every play)
I wouldn’t call them freak turnovers, though a turnover by definition is a freak play. I agree, when we dialed up the pressure, we started to get positive results. From the NEZ, I saw a ton of arm tackles, but I hope that’s due to being out of position — it doesn’t take much to be out of position, and it can make you look slow. We will see in time if it’s a position thing or a concrete shoes thing.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:24 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:14 am
I may be wrong in my assessment. I believe that Burger and JA are pretty equal. In the series that he played, Burger was more read option. On his pass plays, it seemed that he had pass rush in his face. I am actually happy to have either QB under center. Not sure how long Burger played with the hurt hand. Seemed like a couple of fingers were taped up for several series. JA have the team a spark and has a strong arm. I believe we got two QBs for this year if Burger is not out for an extended time.
Burger was not decisive, Aguilar was. Joey saw an open receiver and hit him. Ryan usually throws a pretty ball, but his injury could have affected everything from snap to throw. I’ve never broken my hand, fingers yes, but either way I can’t imagine the pain he was feeling when taking a shotgun snap every time. And then he had to make split decisions while not getting a ton of protection from the offensive line, so that could have led to some of his indecisiveness.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:26 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:02 am
ashugh wrote:

Did we even blitz? Some of you guys know base defense/offense and true vanilla play calling more than I do. I believe I know the game but I don't see it to that minute degree. Looked like we opened it up a little bit based on some of the plays we ran. I hated that running back rotation we seemed to incorporate last year but unless two guys were hurt it was odd to not use them.

As far as the turnovers go they were not freak. Aren't most turnovers due to being forced? Unless a quarterback simply makes a horrible throw to a defender most are caused by pressure in the backfield. Their back didn't drop the ball he was hit and stripped.

I think the GW coaches called a pretty good game and they fooled us on a few plays. People tend to overlook the fact that the defense has only gone up against the same offense for weeks. I'm sure we were exactly able to replicate the GW offense in practice. Hopefully we will work on jamming receivers more so that we don't get toasted in those quick sideline passes.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:35 am

If we are going to be at all competitive next week Aguilare is going to have to be able to throw while on his back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”