TractorApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fire the DJ

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:45 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:29 pm
I don’t disagree at all but we have this conversation every year and we just go in the same circles. The old people don’t understand why they don’t get like Lynrd Skynrd or whatever, younger folks tend to ask for more modern stuff as that’s what the players likely want to hear etc. Basically you can play whatever and people will still be mad so I’ve stopped caring.
100%

Groundhog Day, every season. The way I see it, the music isn’t really for me. It’s for the players first, then the students and crowd second.

IMO, we have far more important things to analyze and worry about than what music the dang DJ is playing.

GO APPS!!
It's a college football team and the music should come from the band. They sounded great I thought and played often when we were on offense.

Kiss My Apps

Unread post by Kiss My Apps » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:00 pm

Rick Rolling ourselves was terrible... as was playing one of two "sing alongs" immediately after GW goes ahead with a second quarter TD. It isn't the song choices that bother me... it's the complete lack of awareness needed to create some chemistry between the game and the music.

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:51 pm

The music sucked, was very ill-timed and most times too loud. Would loved to have heard more Buffet.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:22 pm

The one thing I think it's better is that they're not playing as much loud music in between downs during drives. That was driving me crazy last year.

Yosef_Earnhardt

Unread post by Yosef_Earnhardt » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:07 pm

All I Do is Win after the missed FG was just as bad as when they played Sweet Caroline right at the end of the JMU game last year when we had blown a 28-3 lead. I've never been so mad hearing "good times never seemed so good"...

App74

Unread post by App74 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:42 am

No music of any kind between downs.....was music to my ears.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:26 pm

I heard the purge horn was played on some third downs instead of Hells Bells, you know, the third down anthem of App State football since 2004. Plus, an ill-time Sweet Caroline after a CCU touchdown in the third quarter.

Also...

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:43 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:26 pm
I heard the purge horn was played on some third downs instead of Hells Bells, you know, the third down anthem of App State football since 2004. Plus, an ill-time Sweet Caroline after a CCU touchdown in the third quarter.

Also...

Might catch some heat but I like the purge horn.

The out of town scores were so lazy I made a comment during the game. Bush league

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:50 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:43 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Also...

The out of town scores were so lazy I made a comment during the game. Bush league
Agreed. There were two other scores to keep up with. It's not that hard.
Also, the "Smile Cam" when we went down 14-0

And bring back the Tweetsie Horn

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:54 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:50 pm
yosef69 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Also...

They got rid of the Tweetsie horn? They only had it for a few years, but I really liked it!

The purge horns are really cool… if you don’t already have a thing. App already had a thing.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:06 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:54 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Also...

They got rid of the Tweetsie horn? They only had it for a few years, but I really liked it!

The purge horns are really cool… if you don’t already have a thing. App already had a thing.
I swear I heard it when we scored

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:17 pm

I would really like Sweet Caroline to be reserved for a time late in the game when we have the game in hand. Last Tuesday we played it during a break just before a big 3rd down when we were on defense. Not exactly the thing to get the team or the crowd fired up. That said it’s been a while since we had a game in hand at any point in time.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:21 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:17 pm
I would really like Sweet Caroline to be reserved for a time late in the game when we have the game in hand. Last Tuesday we played it during a break just before a big 3rd down when we were on defense. Not exactly the thing to get the team or the crowd fired up. That said it’s been a while since we had a game in hand at any point in time.
It was enough to get Coastal off of their game at that moment in time.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 pm

The announcer has been pretty bad ..more than twice has the announcer said “It’s thiiiiiiirrrrddd doooowwwnn “ and it was 2nd and 4 . Honestly that’s pretty bad.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:03 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:06 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:54 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Also...

I swear I heard it when we scored
I just went back and reviewed the highlights. All I hear is the "gun blasts" after Marshall's TD. There was a brief "toot" after we tied it at 17. Definitely not like it was.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:14 am

I know most everyone will disagree but I don't think the music is, or should be for the players. The music at every sporting event I have ever attended (and it is a LOT) is to get the FANS fired up....that in turn fires up the players. Play what the fans want to hear and helps get them into the game. That will help the players the most. Do you think "Enter Sandman" is played at Va. Tech to fire up the players? Nope! It gets the stadium rocking with a crazy crowd of all ages joining in and that inspires the players on the field. And the funny thing is that the older and more "classic" the song is, it tends to fire up the student section more. They know all the words to songs that were "oldies" when I was in school and now most folks my age can't even remember the words.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 am

Heard "We Ready...We Ready" at one of away games this year.... should have kept that in our DJ play list.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am

AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:14 am
I know most everyone will disagree but I don't think the music is, or should be for the players. The music at every sporting event I have ever attended (and it is a LOT) is to get the FANS fired up....that in turn fires up the players. Play what the fans want to hear and helps get them into the game. That will help the players the most. Do you think "Enter Sandman" is played at Va. Tech to fire up the players? Nope! It gets the stadium rocking with a crazy crowd of all ages joining in and that inspires the players on the field. And the funny thing is that the older and more "classic" the song is, it tends to fire up the student section more. They know all the words to songs that were "oldies" when I was in school and now most folks my age can't even remember the words.
It’s also important that there be a few songs that are unique to the team/fans. Examples: Dixieland Delight for Alabama. Carolina In My Mind for UNC. Won’t Back Down for Florida. Enter Sandman for Va Tech.

I feel like App is sooo close to getting it. I think “Mountain Music” by Alabama and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye are perfect. Every time I’ve been to a game and they play those songs, the crowd gets into it. They just need to pick a specific time to play both those songs, and play it at that time every game. It’s really that simple. For instance, “Mountain Music” at end of the 1st quarter or first timeout. Whichever comes first. “Ain’t No Mountain…” at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Boom. Instant tradition. Throw in “Beer Never Broke My Heart” somewhere and we’ll be cooking.
Yes, I am available to DJ.

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:49 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am
AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:14 am
It’s also important that there be a few songs that are unique to the team/fans. Examples: Dixieland Delight for Alabama. Carolina In My Mind for UNC. Won’t Back Down for Florida. Enter Sandman for Va Tech.

I feel like App is sooo close to getting it. I think “Mountain Music” by Alabama and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye are perfect. Every time I’ve been to a game and they play those songs, the crowd gets into it. They just need to pick a specific time to play both those songs, and play it at that time every game. It’s really that simple. For instance, “Mountain Music” at end of the 1st quarter or first timeout. Whichever comes first. “Ain’t No Mountain…” at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Boom. Instant tradition. Throw in “Beer Never Broke My Heart” somewhere and we’ll be cooking.
Yes, I am available to DJ.
When you are dj-ing, right after "welcome to the rock", can we hit the first chord of Back in Black and let that be our stadium entrance music? Yeah, I'm old...

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:12 pm

I realize I am probably in the minority here with this thought. I like the song " play me some mountain music"... however, it does not instill or give me the vibes I am about to put the hammer down, sandpaper that @$$ or Bombs Over Baghdad...😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”