Media Day

asucrutch23
School: Appalachian State

Media Day

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:30 am

For those that didn't know, App State Football Media Day is going on on ESPN3 right now.

Biggest takeaway so far for me is Malachi Jones saying that coach Holt has him playing some special teams. He said they want the best 11 guys out there at all times. :o

I know especially kick coverage has been a problem for us before. Here's hoping that can become a thing of the past.

asu66

Re: Media Day

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 am

"Biggest takeaway so far for me is Malachi Jones saying that coach Holt has him playing some special teams. He said they want the best 11 guys out there at all times. :o "

:shock: Shocked, indeed! That's a 180 degree twist from the Jerry Moore philosophy of using Special Teams to develop walk-ons and third-team talent. :shock: It could lead to injuries to key skill position guys. It could also be a big difference maker; so I'm for trying it!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 am

Yeah injuries are definitely the biggest concern there obviously. I'm sure we'll still see a lot of 2nd and 3rd team guys in there as well but even that should be a step up from previous years because of us building FBS depth. I'm just glad to hear they aren't afraid to put the best guys out there on special teams to maximize the potential of that all important 3rd phase of the game.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 am

Just finished watching it. I personally like having some of our starters on special teams along with others. One thing was consistent among our student athletes - EXCITEMENT ! During a couple of the interviews (especially Terrance Upshaw and Latrell Gibbs) they could not contain their level of optimism about the upcoming season. Another thing that was noticeable was how much time they had put into the weight room during the off season. Can't wait to jump start this season on September 5th ! :D

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:Just finished watching it. I personally like having some of our starters on special teams along with others. One thing was consistent among our student athletes - EXCITEMENT ! During a couple of the interviews (especially Terrance Upshaw and Latrell Gibbs) they could not contain their level of optimism about the upcoming season. Another thing that was noticeable was how much time they had put into the weight room during the off season. Can't wait to jump start this season on September 5th ! :D

I had the same thoughts after watching.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Are all the SB teams getting the ESPN3 treatment? or is this something we did for ESPN b/c we were asked (and they love the App brand) or we just took it own ourselves to use the ESPN3 platform?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm

The reality is Special team is a significant part of the game and a game can easily be won or lost due to special teams play. Every time a player steps on the field he can get injured therefore depth is your solution to that reality.

Is there a replay available? Some of us had to work at 9am today.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:55 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:The reality is Special team is a significant part of the game and a game can easily be won or lost due to special teams play. Every time a player steps on the field he can get injured therefore depth is your solution to that reality.

Is there a replay available? Some of us had to work at 9am today.

Replay is here: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/#search/ap ... pe/replay/
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:41 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Are all the SB teams getting the ESPN3 treatment? or is this something we did for ESPN b/c we were asked (and they love the App brand) or we just took it own ourselves to use the ESPN3 platform?
The Sun Belt has a deal with ESPN for conference games.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:47 pm

All of the players interviewed really look mentally and physically ready for the season. Great job S/C coaches and team leaders.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:11 pm

When Tyson Fernandez said he was DOWN 25 lbs :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dude is a stud!
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Appstate3481

Unread post by Appstate3481 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Great to see all the players so hyped up for the season!! The gains in the weight room you can see how much bigger they are so it should pay off on the field! I hope we can keep Coach Mike for awhile he seems to be making a change in our boys so let's hope he stays with the black and gold for awhile!!

Can't wait for the season!!

Go APP

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm all for it. I swear if they kept a stat on who's given up the most successful fake fg's,
fake punts, onside kicks, KO returns, Punt returns, hidden ball tricks, foreign objects, etc.
in the last 20 years.
We would be #1 by a mile.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Watching replay on 3 now.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:47 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Are all the SB teams getting the ESPN3 treatment? or is this something we did for ESPN b/c we were asked (and they love the App brand) or we just took it own ourselves to use the ESPN3 platform?
The Sun Belt has a deal with ESPN for conference games.
I am aware of that, but media day is not a conference game. Thanks for replying but still have my original questions.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Some big takeaways. All the young men were well spoken and enthusiastic. Tyson Fernandez is a beast and ( knock on wood) could be a draft choice . Our S & C program and Mike are clearly liked by the players and is the biggest reason we could succeed beyond expectations. The commitment the team made to two summer session workouts is noteworthy. The coaches are very focused. The future is bright.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm

I love this time of year. Everyone says they're excited. Even at Idaho and Georgia State.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 pm

I liked Upshaw's enthusiasm and Gibbs' swagger ("We're gonna win a lot more games than 7").

Also, is Karl Anderson 5'4"? Next to him Eric Boggs looked like a giant and Davante Harris looked like a skyscraper.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 am

EastHallApp wrote:I liked Upshaw's enthusiasm and Gibbs' swagger ("We're gonna win a lot more games than 7").

Also, is Karl Anderson 5'4"? Next to him Eric Boggs looked like a giant and Davante Harris looked like a skyscraper.
I got a laugh out of that interview with Boggs. It's hard to believe they played the same position just a year apart. Nothing against Carl as he played very well.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Old Wideout

Unread post by Old Wideout » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 am

I golf with Karl, and when you meet the young man you're shocked! Pound for pound, inch for inch one of the baddest men I've ever met. He is also a gentleman. I'd say he's 5-7, 5-9 175 lbs currently.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”