Athlon Predictions

Saint3333

Re: Athlon Predictions

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:19 pm

I’m willing to bet my house that Clark’s expectations are higher than mine for this season.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:40 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:19 pm
I’m willing to bet my house that Clark’s expectations are higher than mine for this season.
They probably are. To be fair I expect no worse than 9-3 and feel like we could go 10-2 in the regular season.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:22 am

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:57 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:35 am
Dude, its June. We winning the natty. Anything less, there should be an overhaul of the entire program.🤣🤣🤣
Imagine if we did win another National Championship in Football...how would that change Appalachian?

Scroll down to the bottom and see the top four winning programs that are former FCS members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... ampionship

Those schools have to play each other every year currently. It does not get much better than that.

Thirteen, Real National Championships...
The next football National Championship APP wins will be when they design a playoff for whatever they call the G5 now. Otherwise it's a snowball's chance in Hell under the current cartel system of football.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:03 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:22 am
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Dude, its June. We winning the natty. Anything less, there should be an overhaul of the entire program.🤣🤣🤣
Imagine if we did win another National Championship in Football...how would that change Appalachian?

Scroll down to the bottom and see the top four winning programs that are former FCS members.

Those schools have to play each other every year currently. It does not get much better than that.

The next football National Championship APP wins will be when they design a playoff for whatever they call the G5 now. Otherwise it's a snowball's chance in Hell under the current cartel system of football.
The same can probably be said for 120 of the current 134 FBS teams. And I am low balling.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:40 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:03 am
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

The same can probably be said for 120 of the current 134 FBS teams. And I am low balling.
I was going to say you are probably low balling. I bet there are only 8-10 who have a real chance every year, about 20-30 who have a really low chance, and then we are in that group of the other 90-95 who have a snowball's chance in hell. LOL
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

So, you're saying, we have a chance? I like those odds.🤣🤣🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:04 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Love the movie reference but that was ironic because he married her but in this case we all know there is no shot. LOL

I am not going to worry about it now but I am pulling for App, Boise State, and Memphis to all go undefeated to see how that debate would go. Along with sweeping their leagues, App would have wins over Liberty and Clemson while Boise would have wins over Oregon and Washington State, and Memphis would have wins over Troy and Florida State. I know that won't happen but I am pulling for it to happen just for the debate.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:42 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:04 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

Love the movie reference but that was ironic because he married her but in this case we all know there is no shot. LOL

I am not going to worry about it now but I am pulling for App, Boise State, and Memphis to all go undefeated to see how that debate would go. Along with sweeping their leagues, App would have wins over Liberty and Clemson while Boise would have wins over Oregon and Washington State, and Memphis would have wins over Troy and Florida State. I know that won't happen but I am pulling for it to happen just for the debate.
Appalachian winning a National Championship would garner an invitation from the SEC to join.

The Board of Trustees would veto that invitation.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

If they are going to keep us at second class citizen level, then give us a chance at a trophy amongst our peers. There's part of your lot of 120 that is paid to have there ass stomped every week, APP and our like get a money game once a season.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

If they are going to keep us at second class citizen level, then give us a chance at a trophy amongst our peers. There's part of your lot of 120 that is paid to have there ass stomped every week, APP and our like get a money game once a season.
Second class citizen is a bit harsh. We are who we are. We are a regional university in a rural geography. There are a lot of great things to love about our University, but there are a lot of things that we aren’t and just aren’t going to be. It is what it is.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:31 pm

We have and will continue to be in the "second tier" whether in substance or form.

What are our goals and principles? I enjoy beating the Michigans and A&Ms of the world as much as anyone, but also enjoy the historical "purpose" of college athletics. The former may not be attainable if the market continues to head in the current direction.

Enjoy each season, these chances may be fleeting.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:56 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:29 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

Second class citizen is a bit harsh. We are who we are. We are a regional university in a rural geography. There are a lot of great things to love about our University, but there are a lot of things that we aren’t and just aren’t going to be. It is what it is.
We are expected to play with the haves for peanuts, the haves even have "pro" players now. If we are separated, how many teams are considered part of the country club and how many of us aren't? 85 haves 39 have not? It's a money cartel and we are never goingh to be a part of......blank 'em, we want money too.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:30 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:56 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

We are expected to play with the haves for peanuts, the haves even have "pro" players now. If we are separated, how many teams are considered part of the country club and how many of us aren't? 85 haves 39 have not? It's a money cartel and we are never goingh to be a part of......blank 'em, we want money too.
I’m not following your math. Who are the 85 haves and the 39 have nots? When it’s all said and done, you are likely to have maybe 40 schools that break away and do there own thing. It would be great if everyone had the same money to operate but that isn’t how it works. Media revenue is driven by exposure and eyeballs and most schools don’t generate it. We aren’t being held back through oppression, we are being held back because we don’t generate enough revenue. It is what it is.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:30 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I’m not following your math. Who are the 85 haves and the 39 have nots? When it’s all said and done, you are likely to have maybe 40 schools that break away and do there own thing. It would be great if everyone had the same money to operate but that isn’t how it works. Media revenue is driven by exposure and eyeballs and most schools don’t generate it. We aren’t being held back through oppression, we are being held back because we don’t generate enough revenue. It is what it is.
It's a form of oppression if we are never going to fit or ever be given a chance to fit and expected to compete for no money or championship. I was asking you the question, I don't know the numbers like you suggested of the SEC and ACC and Big!0 and Notre Dame and whoever else., mine was a WAG of P5/G5. How many teams share in money how many teams don't share in the cartel of the networks and conferences.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:02 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:30 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

It's a form of oppression if we are never going to fit or ever be given a chance to fit and expected to compete for no money or championship. I was asking you the question, I don't know the numbers like you suggested of the SEC and ACC and Big!0 and Notre Dame and whoever else., mine was a WAG of P5/G5. How many teams share in money how many teams don't share in the cartel of the networks and conferences.
It’s not really oppressive as much as it’s getting paid for your value. Each conference controls their media deals and the quality of product determined the value. The SEC (16 member) and Big10 (18 members) have the best quality and the viewership to justify the investment in by the media outlets. The Big12 (16) and ACC (17) are behind those two but way ahead of the rest and Notre Dame. The collective Group of 5 is more closely grouped with the AAC being slightly (61 members) + 3 Indy’s.

So to your last ask, there is no sharing amongst conferences at any scale for revenue generated by media rights. The SEC doesn’t share with the ACC and the ACC doesn’t share with the Sun Belt, nor should they.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:41 am

It will be closer to 90 than 40 that break away. There will be programs that will sacrifice everything to keep up with the jones, no difference than society at large.

And some of those are going to really make our fanbase jealous. Might want to mark this post for future reference.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:33 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:41 am
It will be closer to 90 than 40 that break away. There will be programs that will sacrifice everything to keep up with the jones, no difference than society at large.

And some of those are going to really make our fanbase jealous. Might want to mark this post for future reference.
I think you’re right. There will be lots of butthurtedness. As a true homer, I will be sharing in those feelings.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:38 am

Saint3333 wrote:

Basically, most of the haves wish they had what Notre Dame has.

Several schools have tried to be independents like South Carolina, ECU, FAMU, UMASS, etc. and it has not worked out in their favor.

Even Notre Dame saw that it was advantageous to join a conference in their other sports.

I am sure there were people that thought integration, Title XI, and Televised games would be the end of college sports too, this is just the current phase of the evolution of college sports.

Many people stopped watching NASCAR when Dale Earnhardt died, but the fact is, if he were still alive today, he would not be racing.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:04 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:38 am
Saint3333 wrote:

Several schools have tried to be independents like South Carolina, ECU, FAMU, UMASS, etc. and it has not worked out in their favor.

Even Notre Dame saw that it was advantageous to join a conference in their other sports.

I am sure there were people that thought integration, Title XI, and Televised games would be the end of college sports too, this is just the current phase of the evolution of college sports.

Many people stopped watching NASCAR when Dale Earnhardt died, but the fact is, if he were still alive today, he would not be racing.
When it’s discussed and announced that there will be a breakaway, there will be three tiers of candidates. Those that will spearhead the club. Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St and the like that want to be grouped together. Then you have the ones that want to sit at the “cool kids” table to belong but are really there for the others to make fun of. I’m talking about schools like Michigan St, Wisconsin, and South Carolina. Then you will have the ones that the kids at the cool kids table don’t find to be worth sharing the table with. The Maryland’s, Pretty much the northern teams of the ACC, Rutgers and the Big IX.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:04 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:38 am
Saint3333 wrote:

When it’s discussed and announced that there will be a breakaway, there will be three tiers of candidates. Those that will spearhead the club. Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St and the like that want to be grouped together. Then you have the ones that want to sit at the “cool kids” table to belong but are really there for the others to make fun of. I’m talking about schools like Michigan St, Wisconsin, and South Carolina. Then you will have the ones that the kids at the cool kids table don’t find to be worth sharing the table with. The Maryland’s, Pretty much the northern teams of the ACC, Rutgers and the Big IX.
That last group will also have a few members of the G5 which will lead to epic threads on message boards like this one. South Florida, SDSU, etc. will not go quietly. Do not underestimate the pride of "wealthy" individuals, "we can believe almost anything if necessary to protect our pride".

I remember during the FBS feasibility study sitting in meetings where alums/fans asked why settle for CUSA we should be calling the ACC!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”