Re: Let's beat a dead horse

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:49 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:26 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:06 am
CoachRob wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 pm
I wonder if the same group with their panties in a wad about this would be just as emotional if Eric had a friendship with Coach K and was a dukie? Or walked around in red throwing up the Wolfpack hand gesture?
A lot of us only root for App so yes it would be just as frustrating.

But I will say neither duke or Ncsu have a vested group of alumni on UNCBOG that veto any attempt at App to grow our graduate or professional degree program.

That may not matter to people who like a cheating programs professional basketball team, but those of us who care about our university furthering our profile, it’s a big deal
Yes! That's it! Those UNCBOG wake up every morning with the goal of 'how can I screw app state today'. That is their #1 goal. It makes perfect sense now. So logical!
I’m grateful that you understand now and can get on board. 🤣

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:57 pm

CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
I wonder if the same group with their panties in a wad about this would be just as emotional if Eric had a friendship with Coach K and was a dukie? Or walked around in red throwing up the Wolfpack hand gesture?

But I will say neither duke or Ncsu have a vested group of alumni on UNCBOG that veto any attempt at App to grow our graduate or professional degree program.

That may not matter to people who like a cheating programs professional basketball team, but those of us who care about our university furthering our profile, it’s a big deal
Yes! That's it! Those UNCBOG wake up every morning with the goal of 'how can I screw app state today'. That is their #1 goal. It makes perfect sense now. So logical!
We get it. You cheer for UNC over App. It's fine. It's stupid, but that's your right..

And yes, the BOG does everything it can to ensure App does not get the programs it needs/deserves.

We had to partner with Wake to get a nursing program because UNC BOG turned it down even though we had Atrium health (or whatever the name was at the time) on board to fund the entire thing (the reason for the other 4 rejections was funding so we found out own). The reason for the final rejection from the BOG was to deny growth. It was stated in not at many words during the meeting. They are public notes out there proving it.

And this is just nursing. Western North Carolina mountain communities NEED a med school. They won't budge.

Any new program we've had lately has been because of private partnerships. Meanwhile, UNC is adding multiple programs every year. Make it make sense!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:34 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:57 pm
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

We get it. You cheer for UNC over App. It's fine. It's stupid, but that's your right..

And yes, the BOG does everything it can to ensure App does not get the programs it needs/deserves.

We had to partner with Wake to get a nursing program because UNC BOG turned it down even though we had Atrium health (or whatever the name was at the time) on board to fund the entire thing (the reason for the other 4 rejections was funding so we found out own). The reason for the final rejection from the BOG was to deny growth. It was stated in not at many words during the meeting. They are public notes out there proving it.

And this is just nursing. Western North Carolina mountain communities NEED a med school. They won't budge.

Any new program we've had lately has been because of private partnerships. Meanwhile, UNC is adding multiple programs every year. Make it make sense!
I'm really hoping the hickory branch starts to break this open for us. We now have 2 good sized hospitals and access to other doctorate level jobs. I actually see uncc as our competition if western NC is to ever get a med school. They already have the advanced nursing programs.

https://academics.charlotte.edu/program ... e/doctoral

https://www.appstate.edu/academics/doctoral/

Luckily we offer clinical psychology to help all the head cases here get over their unhealthy obsession with a guy who could care less what they think. I'm being very serious. Some here need legit help with this.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:08 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Hey man, but I grew up watching the professional sports team that represents unc play basketball even though they didn’t have to go to class. Who says the people of Western North Carolina needs medical care? Let them find succor in the professional team that represents unc!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:11 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Lol, … ok

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:11 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Lol, … ok
It’s not our duty to educate you. This is true though. They have their foot on our neck and they are the reason we only have two doctoral programs. They are the reason we don’t have a law or med school. They want it for themselves.

This is not some conspiracy theory, this is facts.
Last edited by yosef69 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:54 pm

So help me understand. We need a law & med school to be successful in football? Didn’t realize we were missing on recruits because they wanted to be doctors. Doesn’t seem to have help Carolina become a powerhouse in football though? What am I missing?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:30 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:54 pm
So help me understand. We need a law & med school to be successful in football? Didn’t realize we were missing on recruits because they wanted to be doctors. Doesn’t seem to have help Carolina become a powerhouse in football though? What am I missing?
No, that is where the hatred stems from. UNC holier than thou attitude. Literally making it impossible for anybody but them to succeed at a higher rate academically.

Which, in turn does impact athletics because of size of donations. Who has more disposable income? A teacher or an anesthesiologist? It's not close and you know it.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:07 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:30 pm
CoachRob wrote:
No, that is where the hatred stems from. UNC holier than thou attitude. Literally making it impossible for anybody but them to succeed at a higher rate academically.

Which, in turn does impact athletics because of size of donations. Who has more disposable income? A teacher or an anesthesiologist? It's not close and you know it.
Agreed...but beyond athletics, the geographic region needs a medical school in my opinion to serve the communities in the area. Some that come to the medical school may decide to stay in the area..when you look at EasyU med school, they can treat a variety of illnesses and families would not have to travel and stay overnight in Winston or Durham or Chapel Hill.

Side benefit is 20 years down the road our athletics fundraising is impacted positively.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:29 am

And, this has not been a recent "thing" either. The UNC system is made up of UNC graduates and supporters. Just look at the make up of the BOG. No other school in NC has near the representation that the "mothership" has. I mean, don't we all know our place? Get back in line all you red headed step children.

I'm not going to single out EC, but everyone that is a traitor, UNC closet fan, UNC apologist, can kiss my A$$.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:36 am

AppStateNews wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

So UNC football has been more successful cause they have more anesthesiologist donating and going to games, Is that right?

And on a more serious note, does it make those of us any less of App state football/basketball (any sports) fan is we don't get so emotional, irate, and upset over the academic side of things that we have absolutely zero control over? That doesn't even come close to impacting the majority of us?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:44 am

CoachRob wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:36 am
AppStateNews wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

So UNC football has been more successful cause they have more anesthesiologist donating and going to games, Is that right?

And on a more serious note, does it make those of us any less of App state football/basketball (any sports) fan is we don't get so emotional, irate, and upset over the academic side of things that we have absolutely zero control over? That doesn't even come close to impacting the majority of us?
what are you talking about? Not having enough doctors in western north carolina effects all of us that live here.

But I'm happy you like UNC basketball so much you're willing to defend the UNCBOG idiotic practices. Which is exactly why the administrators were more than happy to create an entire fake curriculum to make sure UNC basketball stayed super competitive.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:48 am

There is 100% a direct correlation between the size of a school and their athletics. App state has done more with less for decades, academically and athletically. If App were to grow academically into a National school vs regional, think about the way that would likely bolster our athletics, especially with the current NIL environment. If I were a UNC alum with pull at the BOG level, I'd be wanting to road block it too. We live in a spiteful world and if you've met enough UNC Alum/fans, they have a complex for sure.
The Appalachian State

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:54 am

CoachRob wrote:
i'm really trying to understand, is all you care about App state football? You don't care about the institution at all? You don't wish for Western North Carolina to develop and bring in more high paying jobs? You don't want the poor rural people of Appalachia to have access to healthcare without driving for 3+ hours, if they can find transportation? Its willfull ignorance. The UNCBOG and the vast majority of UNC grads don't give a shit about western North Carolina. Keep their vacation spots clean and they could care less about anything else. They denied Nursing programs at App State, a huge need all throughout the state but particularly in our region, for no other reason than they don't want App to grow. And you're over here defending these kind of insane decisions, for no other reason than you like a basketball team.

I would really think on the hierarchy of wants, that the development of ones own alma mater and a region they ostensibly love would place higher than the success of a pro basketball team that represents a school one didn't attend.

But I guess to you and Eric Church it doesn't.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:27 am

I’m a fan of trends. I know this doesn’t apply to all, but I’m sure there is a correlation between those who see nothing wrong with what EC said (and wish we’d just let it go), those who were just fine with us remaining in the SoCon, those who are okay with us just remaining a regional university, and those who are more closeted in their fanhood of CHeat and others that are complacent in keeping Appalachian State “in its place.”

Often our biggest detractors are our own.

And it’s a damn shame. A DAMN shame.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:49 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:54 am
CoachRob wrote:
i'm really trying to understand, is all you care about App state football? You don't care about the institution at all? You don't wish for Western North Carolina to develop and bring in more high paying jobs? You don't want the poor rural people of Appalachia to have access to healthcare without driving for 3+ hours, if they can find transportation? Its willfull ignorance. The UNCBOG and the vast majority of UNC grads don't give a shit about western North Carolina. Keep their vacation spots clean and they could care less about anything else. They denied Nursing programs at App State, a huge need all throughout the state but particularly in our region, for no other reason than they don't want App to grow. And you're over here defending these kind of insane decisions, for no other reason than you like a basketball team.

I would really think on the hierarchy of wants, that the development of ones own alma mater and a region they ostensibly love would place higher than the success of a pro basketball team that represents a school one didn't attend.

But I guess to you and Eric Church it doesn't.
1st off, I'm not defending anyone or anything. When it comes right down to it, it's important to understand different people have different priorities and different importances of where to invest one's emotions, and that should be ok. Between Family being 1st, church, my job, my team I coach, and my immediate community, I am very fortunate to be able to take some of the little time & emotion I have left to devote to Yosef club, season tickets, and making the 2 hour drive to Boone for Football saturdays and the occasional basketball game. I wish I could attend & give more to App, but I am just not able to as there are more important priorities outside the collegiate/academic world that demand my focus, time, and emotions. I know I am not the only 1 who has this same outlook.

To say that a region doesn't have access to healthcare because App doesn't have a med program is a long grasp for straws to fuel a hate and a passion that I just don't have the ability to prioritize right now. I'm not trying defend anyone, I'm just questioning the focus of such hate & emotion. If that means I'm a bad person, or not a true App fan, then I don't know what else to say. But I hope that you can still cheer & high five with with me every time App scores, and not look down on me & others just because we don't sit in the same righteous seat that you sit in. Because doing so would mean 1 is becoming the very thing 1 is complaining about.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:43 am

If you don't see how the flag ship is intentionally holding down all institutions (and ours arguably more so than others with the highest % of budget cuts) as an issue and a reason to dislike them, there's not a whole lot to discuss.

If you're willing to look past the evil so you can enjoy good basketball, your opinion is not going to change. That said, now that you have the reason for the hatred (completely outside of the arrogance of their athletics), don't act surprised when people vehemently react to your love of that evil.

It's not one specific thing (med school, athletics, etc.). It's the constant holding us back. It's continuous. They have ruined a once great academic system solely for the benefit of one institution.
tAPPedInSports.net

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:05 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:43 am
If you don't see how the flag ship is intentionally holding down all institutions (and ours arguably more so than others with the highest % of budget cuts) as an issue and a reason to dislike them, there's not a whole lot to discuss.

If you're willing to look past the evil so you can enjoy good basketball, your opinion is not going to change. That said, now that you have the reason for the hatred (completely outside of the arrogance of their athletics), don't act surprised when people vehemently react to your love of that evil.

It's not one specific thing (med school, athletics, etc.). It's the constant holding us back. It's continuous. They have ruined a once great academic system solely for the benefit of one institution.
I agree with all your points but just want to make sure we don’t lose sight of what is really important…Eric Church is a douche.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:31 am

Of the 25 members of the UNCBOG 7 are UNCCH grads, 3 from NCSU, 2 from ASU, and 1 each from UNCW, NCA&TSU, UGA, Florida A&M, Duke, Southern College (TN), UNCP, Campbell, WCU (student rep), UTK, Wyoming, Calcutta (India), and Carteret Community College (Chair, founder of Jarrett Bay Boatworks, NCSU supporter, loaded). It only makes sense that the largest universities, UNCCH and NCSU get more attention, but it has been way too heavily weighted towards them. There is certainly good reason for our animosity towards the UNCBOG and the NCGA when it comes to equitable treatment of the UNC System colleges and universities.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:38 am

Just curious, who are the two App grads on the UNC Board of Governor's?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”