EZU discussion

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool
School: Appalachian State

Re: EZU discussion

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:31 am

biggie wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:30 pm
Haven’t had a chance to catch up on reading this or watch all the game since I just got home from CLT FC game. But 2 TDs given up by our D and 240 total yards isn’t as bad as I expected given the first quarter I watched.

Can’t have the turnovers on offense especially that go back for 6. Looks like it will be a very tough matchup next week.
Tackling was better, and pass rush played their best since A&M. They have every right to view this as a 41-14 a$$ whoopin lead by them. Favors is absolutely the real deal. I thought Funderburk was gonna be the most important transfer, but Favors play has been excellent. He tackles so well while streaking up to the LOS, and he and Ross play so well together.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:43 am

If one wants to cure fumble-itis use the Tiki Barber "school of how not to fumble". He fumbled quite a bit early in NFL career. Took a lot of work in off-season..but he did it.
Hate it for Kanye. That young man is a gifted running back no matter what plays they called for him.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:27 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:29 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:12 pm
The thing with JAs quick release is he's making a pre snap read and deciding where he's letting it launch before the ball is snapped. Most of the time, that works great. Problem is, if the defender makes the same read and JA doesn't notice the jump, there's a good chance at a pick.

Obviously, that pick is on JA. But, if you go back and watch, the ball was thrown well before the receiver even made his cut. The defender just made a really good read (likely based on last week's film) and made a good play. It's a type of play I'm willing to let JA make because more often than not (unless film is showing other tendencies that defenses haven't caught on to yet), it's going to be a positive play.
To me being at the game, Joey made three mistakes. The interception being one. Haven’t watched the replay so I will trust your judgement in that it was just a better play by the defender. It happens. The other two were he could have easily extended drives with his feet instead he threw it and got incompletions. Those were lessons that he will grow from in film study for sure.

And oh yes. Favors is a baller.
Joeys interception should have never happened, mostly because why was a play call that had him throwing to the opposite side of the field from his goal line when ecu was obviously bringing the house?

Otherwise agreed
I don't agree with some of your earlier posts about coaching, but I do agree with this comment. The play call was bad for that position on the field. I don't understand throwing to the far side in that situation. That said, like a lot of the criticisms I've read here, it's 20/20 hind sight. If the pass is complete, it goes for a big gain and it was amazing! Unfortunately, that's not what happened. Same thing with the 2 point attempts. Nobody would complain if we make it. If coaches call conservatively, fans complain We have years of threads proving that! If coaches call aggressive, fans complain every time it doesn't work. If the goal of coaching were to please the fans, it would be an absolute no win situation for anyone other than the national champs. Fortunately, the goal is to win games, and we got that done.

Joey is still learning. He needs to find his outlets a little more often, but he's making some amazing plays so the net is very good and I can't complain. Our TEs continue to be open on plays when he forces it to a well covered WR who is 5 yards further down field. That's just experience and he will learn. His physical tools and calm demeanor have a high ceiling.

I don't know what will happen when Burger is well. It's hard to imagine Joey getting benched based on how he's done, but I will let the coaches handle that. As a fan, I'm pretty happy because either way, it means we have a great QB for the foreseeable future (and a great backup to boot). There's zero down side from a fan perspective.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:07 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:24 pm
VNova wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:14 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:53 pm
Great win..but why the hell are we rushing the field?
Super hyped during the game and the first win over an in-state rival (in a more general sense) since 1975?

I’m just guessing here
Did you miss the UNC game a couple of years ago and the ECU game the other year in Charlotte? Also the wins over UNCC...
Also the wins against Wake Forest...5 since the late 80s.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:15 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:08 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:06 pm
Please kick touchbacks
Those shirt kicks will bite us at some point. Almost did there.
LOL! I got roasted for saying this last week. I'm sure we did scouting of ECU kick returns over the past 4 seasons and that data said to kick it short haha.

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:16 am

Nothing against Burger but if your estimation after 3 games is that we still have a QB battle going on (and should), I can’t help you, but I can certainly point you in the direction of Broughton Hospital.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:23 am

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:16 am
Nothing against Burger but if your estimation after 3 games is that we still have a QB battle going on (and should), I can’t help you, but I can certainly point you in the direction of Broughton Hospital.
Joey is playing well. No one will dispute that. But if you want to compare Joey’s first 2.5 games to Burger’s one half playing with a broken finger, then I can’t help you.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:45 am

Have to love all of our young guys getting big time reps…Depasquale saw time yesterday as did Larson. Nice to see PWO bust their butts and get rewarded with playing time. No Marshall yesterday on special teams, but did look to be suited up. Wonder how his injury recovery is going after playing last week.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:58 am

Yes, why rush the field when you are
the better team, program and expected to win. Might as well have rushed the field against Gardner Webb.

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:16 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:58 am
the better team, program and expected to win. Might as well have rushed the field against Gardner Webb.
We’re trying to apply logic to drunk 18-20 year old kids who watched the team miss a bowl game last year. I agree with the sentiment but they’re going to do what they’re going to do. They stuck it out in the rain and stayed until 0:00 was on the clock, proud of our students. We’ve come a long way through the years.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:34 am

As long as they were not taunting ECU players and staff then no harm done. We finally won a big game with a big crowd that we all marked on the schedule. It was not as deserved as Troy was last year given the ending but it was ECU in Boone and a Win.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:43 am

J_Mountaineers wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:16 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:58 am
We’re trying to apply logic to drunk 18-20 year old kids who watched the team miss a bowl game last year. I agree with the sentiment but they’re going to do what they’re going to do. They stuck it out in the rain and stayed until 0:00 was on the clock, proud of our students. We’ve come a long way through the years.
Well for starters they are adults, not kids. If we are getting kids drunk at our games then we have some real problems on our hands.

Storming the field is dangerous and at this point is so that fans can get selfies on the field. The uptick in rushing fields has coincided with the growth of social media. It will get to a point where NCAA/whatever future governing body will have to limit if not outright stop field rushing.

I'm happy our students are sticking it out but we also have to keep in mind that our winning is only a piece of the picture. Growing to 21k students is the biggest reason we can pack it out with students.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 am

How is the NCAA going to stop it?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 am
That is simple but unpopular. They can fine schools every time until schools put a stop to it or they could up it to harsher penalties. All it's going to take are the lawsuits to start rolling in. It just takes one and people around the country will start suing when they get injured rushing fields. I've heard a number of times of people breaking things including legs rushing the field. In this lawsuit happy age we live in, schools are sitting on a razors edge in the name of letting the students have fun.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:00 pm

We heard an ambulance, maybe two, leaving the stadium while we were in traffic coming down from Top of the Rock. Then we saw another one coming back to the stadium, lights on, when we made it to stadium drive. Were there injuries from the field rush?
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:05 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:56 am
AppSt94 wrote:
That is simple but unpopular. They can fine schools every time until schools put a stop to it or they could up it to harsher penalties. All it's going to take are the lawsuits to start rolling in. It just takes one and people around the country will start suing when they get injured rushing fields. I've heard a number of times of people breaking things including legs rushing the field. In this lawsuit happy age we live in, schools are sitting on a razors edge in the name of letting the students have fun.
I believe that there are fines in place. Unless the school is complicit in allowing this to happen, it seems unfair to apply punitive damages.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:05 pm
appdaze wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I believe that there are fines in place. Unless the school is complicit in allowing this to happen, it seems unfair to apply punitive damages.
Well this kind of stuff typically throws fair out the window. Unless we put up big signs every five feet along the edge of the field that says no rushing the field then post officers that truly keep the fans off the field than it could be easily argued that we are complicit in fans doing it by not truly attempting to stop them.

I used to feel different about storming fields when it was such a rare occasion saved for the biggest of big games. Now it's an every week social media photo op. Where students will do dumber and dumber things. How long until there is a tik tok challenge involving field storming?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:19 pm

Listen Miller Hill overcrowding is a recipe for a bad accident. I cringe thinking about students getting pinned/crushed against the brick wall.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:21 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:05 pm
appdaze wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Well this kind of stuff typically throws fair out the window. Unless we put up big signs every five feet along the edge of the field that says no rushing the field then post officers that truly keep the fans off the field than it could be easily argued that we are complicit in fans doing it by not truly attempting to stop them.

I used to feel different about storming fields when it was such a rare occasion saved for the biggest of big games. Now it's an every week social media photo op. Where students will do dumber and dumber things. How long until there is a tik tok challenge involving field storming?
Good point on the Tik Tok Challenge. I look at as being on the field is considered trespassing. Create a barrier, which we have and make the announcement to say off the field. NEZ ticket holders were told after Troy that if you go on the field then you will have your tickets revoked. Maybe you make it punishable by suspension from school. You can’t catch everyone, but if you catch enough, then it will get attention. Either from the students, or the parents of these students.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:25 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:19 pm
Listen Miller Hill overcrowding is a recipe for a bad accident. I cringe thinking about students getting pinned/crushed against the brick wall.
It's been 10 years or so since I sat on Miller hill. People were constantly falling/sliding into me. My shirt have shoe prints all over the back. I was done. I'll never be near it again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”