Up Next...UNC

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Up Next...UNC

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:57 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:55 am
That dude leaks "california" from his pores. Gravitas on drip. For those of us who have coached, this is a guy you LOVE to have in a key role.
Joey “Sunshine” Aguilar

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:59 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:56 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:51 am
Joey is super chill. I don’t care if the coaches like the attitude or not, this is a great mentality to have. Water off a duck’s back, don’t let the last play or game affect what you’re doing. Bet this guy could be a hell of a good golfer.
Not sure what I coach wouldn't like about this- save the firey and emotional guys for defense. This is a perfect attitude for a QB.
Amen. It also doesn’t hurt that he will truck a guy that is in his way.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:10 am

appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Joey is super chill. I don’t care if the coaches like the attitude or not, this is a great mentality to have. Water off a duck’s back, don’t let the last play or game affect what you’re doing. Bet this guy could be a hell of a good golfer.
Not sure what I coach wouldn't like about this- save the firey and emotional guys for defense. This is a perfect attitude for a QB.
I’ve heard from a couple people more connected than I that the staff doesn’t like the “care-free-ness” of JA, and Clark even said it in his pre-game interview with Witten yesterday that he doesn’t like it. But it could be misunderstanding what the coaches mean-perhaps they themselves are more high strung or something and just can’t understand how JA can be so chill.

Dude reminds me a lot of Doc Holliday, or at least Val Kilmer’s presentation of him. He’s obviously extremely driven and motivated, and is a competitor, but doesn’t present it outwardly when interviewed.
Give 'em hell!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:37 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:10 am
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
I’ve heard from a couple people more connected than I that the staff doesn’t like the “care-free-ness” of JA, and Clark even said it in his pre-game interview with Witten yesterday that he doesn’t like it. But it could be misunderstanding what the coaches mean-perhaps they themselves are more high strung or something and just can’t understand how JA can be so chill.

Dude reminds me a lot of Doc Holliday, or at least Val Kilmer’s presentation of him. He’s obviously extremely driven and motivated, and is a competitor, but doesn’t present it outwardly when interviewed.
I'm known for the same demeanor in my career. Some managers have expressed a dislike of it and many others have noted it as one of my best qualities. Needless ro say, it's served me well and I am working hard to incorporate it into my golf game.
The Appalachian State

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:47 am

Armanti had that same demeanor. “Chill” is a good descriptor. I am reminded of his propensity to take a nap right up until kickoff. As a contrast, Trey Elder, as good as he was, apparently got totally stressed before games. Anyone remember when he got sick at State before a play?
Perhaps the problem with Aguilar is that “chill” demeanor is rare and the coaches are the ones who need to learn to deal with it. I am pretty confident they will.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:48 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:37 am
BeauFoster wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

I'm known for the same demeanor in my career. Some managers have expressed a dislike of it and many others have noted it as one of my best qualities. Needless ro say, it's served me well and I am working hard to incorporate it into my golf game.
I have found out it is the actual golf swing that has humbled my golf game versus my chilliness 😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:21 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:17 pm
311neers wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:00 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:50 pm
For those who think other teams will pound us running the ball how about who is going to slow us down? We are well balanced and will put up some serious stats.
People are going to pound us running. We are down 3 Nose Tackles and are missing our typical Mike backers. Clearly evident tonight. Some are just blocking dummies. Just have to outscore people.
You may be the most negative poster on this board, congrats
pointing out our weaknesses is not being negative

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:37 am
BeauFoster wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

Good luck working that into the golf game. I’ve been trying for years.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:41 pm

Im currently at a single digit handicap after retooling my swing this year. The mental rounds where I just lose it have cost me a few rounds in the 90s
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:49 pm

311neers wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
For those who think other teams will pound us running the ball how about who is going to slow us down? We are well balanced and will put up some serious stats.
People are going to pound us running. We are down 3 Nose Tackles and are missing our typical Mike backers. Clearly evident tonight. Some are just blocking dummies. Just have to outscore people.
I’m going to challenge your thoughts here. We are down two backups. Neither of which were returning NTs. We will get one of them back in the rotation at some point, hopefully. We have last year’s starter at DE in DDP. He plays some NT and could roll back in there at some point. Kelly and Hopper are playing well but are learning.

If your concerns are based on what happened last night, I get it, but one instance is not predictive of future results. 1) We schemes to make someone other than Maye beat us. Hampton stepped up. Kudos to him for stepping up to the challenge. 2) What QB left on the schedule is going to create the same decision to commit to stopping them?

Your comment about the Mike LB is puzzling? Parker is playing very well. Arnholt and Farrar are doing their job.

We see things differently sometimes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:51 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:41 pm
Im currently at a single digit handicap after retooling my swing this year. The mental rounds where I just lose it have cost me a few rounds in the 90s
Kudos. It is exponentially harder to go from a 7 to a 5 than going from a 20 to a 15. Or so I have been told.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:49 pm
311neers wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I’m going to challenge your thoughts here. We are down two backups. Neither of which were returning NTs. We will get one of them back in the rotation at some point, hopefully. We have last year’s starter at DE in DDP. He plays some NT and could roll back in there at some point. Kelly and Hopper are playing well but are learning.

If your concerns are based on what happened last night, I get it, but one instance is not predictive of future results. 1) We schemes to make someone other than Maye beat us. Hampton stepped up. Kudos to him for stepping up to the challenge. 2) What QB left on the schedule is going to create the same decision to commit to stopping them?

Your comment about the Mike LB is puzzling? Parker is playing very well. Arnholt and Farrar are doing their job.

How about that hole at Coastal?
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:57 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:49 pm
311neers wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

How about that hole at Coastal?
Fair point but I look at that one a little differently. These are my thoughts on Coastal. They have McCall and two of the best receivers but unless they find a running game, they are a one dimensional team and it doesn’t matter how prolific you are, if you are one dimensional then you can be stopped.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:51 pm
appstatealum wrote: Im currently at a single digit handicap after retooling my swing this year. The mental rounds where I just lose it have cost me a few rounds in the 90s
Kudos. It is exponentially harder to go from a 7 to a 5 than going from a 20 to a 15. Or so I have been told.
I was a 13 for years, not a Greta player, bur could bomb it. Then I lost some dadbod weight and it changed my whole swing. I battled it for last 2 seasons and decided to get a lesson. Had one 30 min lesson and went from a 21 handicap to a 10, now I'm around 8-10 2 months later
The Appalachian State

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:00 pm

You guys...and the world...amaze me to think that Drake May and the tarheels are so far above SBC week in and week out teams. We will face quarterbacks in the SBC that are 80 to 90% as good as Maye. The tarholes are so over-rated, they always are. I don't get it. We just took them to overtime in two games and beat them the other one the only difference between APPSTATE and the tarholes are a P and a G in front of the 5 and a lot of money. SBC is a great league and APPSTATE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:06 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:00 pm
You guys...and the world...amaze me to think that Drake May and the tarheels are so far above SBC week in and week out teams. We will face quarterbacks in the SBC that are 80 to 90% as good as Maye. The tarholes are so over-rated, they always are. I don't get it. We just took them to overtime in two games and beat them the other one the only difference between APPSTATE and the tarholes are a P and a G in front of the 5 and a lot of money. SBC is a great league and APPSTATE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then why are none of those guys that are as good are being mentioned as top 5 draft picks?

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:06 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:54 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:48 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:20 pm
Super proud of this team! UNC is legit good...and we were right there with em...loved our play calling...coaches were great...defense has improved.. Maye is best QB in the nation...and our was great tonight too...hopefully we can continue to improve...this does not feel like a 6-6 type team
Caleb Williams may disagree with this post.
Caleb Williams while as great as he is, I personally feel is a system QB. Which doesn't always translate to the NFL, as has been the case with many Heisman winning QBs.

I'd say at the level Caleb Williams is the best QB in the nation, but often times the "analyst" look at the abilities and features a player can bring at the next level when making those projections. Can they be wrong? Absolutely, but someone has to fill the air time when Stephen A Smith isn't talking. Which isn't often.
Personally I would take Michael Penix Jr. Over both of them. Either way, Drake looked no higher tier than Joey A last night.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Joey would have got to the end zone on that 2 point conversion in OT2

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:06 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:00 pm
Then why are none of those guys that are as good are being mentioned as top 5 draft picks?
Top 5 draft is an individual accomplishment. Maye is being held back by his program. Football is a team sport. The tarheel coaching staff, the tarheel program and most of their players are over-hyped...just like their degrees. I am doing just fine in life coming from the APPSTATE program. you can't spell overrated without the tarheels.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Given the discrepancy in resources, we once again overperformed. It isn't a level playing field. Unlikely it will ever be.They have more , bigger and better. Deep pockets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”