Gameday!!!

Yosef1986
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gameday!!!

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:37 am

My take - I have always supported Clark and for the most part any coach we have - I will also support any change made and hope they are successful.
However, an inferior team beat APP with less talent. They had better coaching, better scheme and a team with a lot of fire. We did not control any part of the game and not even our offensive line controlled the CCU defense. We had a few bright spots - not control.
We need more creativity - such as the play calling in the UNC game. Most of the successful teams have an offense that has grown and is creative. We still run 2 running plays up the middle and then on 3rd throw down the field. No creativity and with my limits knowledge - I know what is coming.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:05 am

It all comes down to money. We hired the coach we could afford. NIL and the portal have changed the rules. It’s really sad to see such a proud and successful program on a steady and slow decline. What’s more: we don’t have the money to stop or change The decline.

asu1988

Unread post by asu1988 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:10 am

My take:
Why didn't we throw the ball more? Our play calling is extremely bland and boring at times. CCU DBs couldn't defend our WRs. As for defense, front 7 played good considering the circumstances except for tackling and coverage.
The deep ball and the flood patterns were working. Where were they the second half? The passing game would've opened up our running game that much more.
Clark might be a great guy, but I'm not sold on him as a head coach. Not too sold on Barbay either.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 am

It's not just the record...it's the way we win and lose. The erratic nature of the team; up and down; never know who's going to show up. Win games we're supposed to lose; lose games we're supposed to win; an allllmost win in a big game that we coulda have won if any one of 10 things had gone differently; a miracle finish!!!; an inexplicable blowout loss to one of the worst teams on the schedule; a huge meltdown and blown lead; a lackluster performance against an inferior FCS team; and now a pretty convincing loss to a top of the conference team (the top tier which is clearly and quickly separating from us).

That kind of season is every perennial .500 team I've ever seen. This is the recipe for a decade of mediocrity. Decisions are going to have to be made on what our standards are for what's a successful season.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:34 am

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:47 am
If we don’t make a bowl I could see gillin pulling the trigger. Can’t sell tickets when the team is bad.
You don't fire a coach, who currently sits at 24-10. The AD will likely sit down with SC and they will have a talk about his staff perhaps. Let's not become Auburn.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:41 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:24 am
hapapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:13 am
If I recall Coastal entered the season in a similar situation to us, they lost a lot of their offense and key parts of their defense. They are 8-1 and we are 5-4.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy and still scratching my head on our continual 4th down attempts in our own territory (but more baffled by the play calls) but it's not time to talk coaching change. Though given a similar hand to play, Chadwell has Coastal still at the top.

The biggest concern for me is not what the rest of the season brings but where things go next season. A down season is survivable but back to back such campaigns is harder to rebound from.
It’s November, the we lost a lot of players last season may have been valid in September. But those players should have beaten UNC and did beat A&M. The Jimmy and Joes argument just doesn’t hold water.
Yeah it does if the guys replacing them are vastly inferior. Having a walk on at safety trying to stay with 14 highlights that. Now with better scheming a team can hide the deficiencies but we aren’t doing that and unfortunately it’s really coming home to roost. Our entire secondary is S L O W. And I mean slow and couple that with a d line which is no where near as disruptive as years past and that’s a recipe for disaster. So while it’s easy to say hey just coach em up, If the guys you are coaching up are too slow and too small, you got problems. I don’t care how good of a coach you are

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:44 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:41 am
Saint3333 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
If I recall Coastal entered the season in a similar situation to us, they lost a lot of their offense and key parts of their defense. They are 8-1 and we are 5-4.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy and still scratching my head on our continual 4th down attempts in our own territory (but more baffled by the play calls) but it's not time to talk coaching change. Though given a similar hand to play, Chadwell has Coastal still at the top.

The biggest concern for me is not what the rest of the season brings but where things go next season. A down season is survivable but back to back such campaigns is harder to rebound from.
It’s November, the we lost a lot of players last season may have been valid in September. But those players should have beaten UNC and did beat A&M. The Jimmy and Joes argument just doesn’t hold water.
Yeah it does if the guys replacing them are vastly inferior. Having a walk on at safety trying to stay with 14 highlights that. Now with better scheming a team can hide the deficiencies but we aren’t doing that and unfortunately it’s really coming home to roost. Our entire secondary is S L O W. And I mean slow and couple that with a d line which is no where near as disruptive as years past and that’s a recipe for disaster. So while it’s easy to say hey just coach em up, If the guys you are coaching up are too slow and too small, you got problems. I don’t care how good of a coach you are
The coaches are the ones failing to recruit

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:46 am

Kaleb dawson know something we don’t?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:48 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:34 am
yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:47 am
If we don’t make a bowl I could see gillin pulling the trigger. Can’t sell tickets when the team is bad.
You don't fire a coach, who currently sits at 24-10. The AD will likely sit down with SC and they will have a talk about his staff perhaps. Let's not become Auburn.
How many of those 24 wins were against teams that ended up with a winning record? My guess it isn't half.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:48 am

311neers wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:46 am
Kaleb dawson know something we don’t?
He knows he didn't want to put the work in that our staff requires...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 am

yosef69 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 am
What happened to the App State team that played the first three games this season? Seriously. Can anyone explain it? The team that went toe-to-toe with UNC would have bodied Coastal. But this isn't that team anymore.
Much like the team trying to tackle after isn’t INT last night, they don’t care. They’ve given up. No leadership.
I saw zero evidence the players didn’t care. They scored to cut it to one possession and they got coastal in 3rd and long and we got beat because we had a kid out there with no chance to cover 14. So now you are throwing the players under the bus too? I thought your ire was the coaching staff. Glad to see it’s expanded to the players too.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 am

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:44 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

That’s not what the conversation was about

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:51 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 am
yosef69 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

At the end of the day it’s still a coaching failure.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:52 am

I don’t get the “no heart” posts. Nothing I have seen shows me that players have a lack of drive, grit, or heart.
Give 'em hell!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:55 am

I was able to go to the game last night. It really didn't seem as close as the final score.

Observations:
That stadium was not able to handle that crowd very well. It felt unsafe to me and it was hard to move around. It appeared that App maybe had 1/5th of the attendees there. Kudos to Coastal for their fan involvement-that was a hostile environment.

The fans were pretty tame for the most part. The older coastal fans engaged in some back and forth and it was all good. The students were another story, but I doubt it was any different than what our students do. I certainly won't pull any of our students back when they get to come back to our place next year. The F^*&# App State cheer was pretty lame and definitely classy.

I can't put my finger on what's going on with our team this year. The offense from the Carolina game and the defense from the A&T game were great. After that our offense can't find a rhythm and our defense looks like a deer in the headlights. Based on what I saw last night, we had no answer for their big defensive lineman, and they have as much speed as we have. We were outcoached and outplayed. They have a great scheme but eventually they will get McCall killed. On defense, they dared us to throw the ball and they played with an edge. They were more physical on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. They blew up our run game and sold out knowing we would be too pig headed to adapt or change. I'm not a coach, but when you see a weakness, why do we not exploit it. We should have game planned a passing game for all areas of the field with plenty of protection options. That may have opened up the run later in the game. We couldn't block four with five.

Turnovers-the first was a snap under center at the goal line. That's not something we see very much of, but it was obvious Chases feet got tangled up and the play went south. The second, Chase got hit throwing the ball and it shortened the throw, the receiver was open.

The bunch set/goal line offense for the 3rd and 4th down conversion was abysmal. They had eleven in the box on both plays. We hadn't run on them all night and I just can't understand the play call. Cam never got untracked so the big bruising back theory was irrelevant in this game. We would have had a better chance if we had kept them spread out, but that chance was minimal trying to run.

I'm not for calling out individual players or calling for coaches to be fired. I do expect to see improvement and consistency from a young team as we go through the year. I do expect the coaches to be evaluated at the end of the year and to address deficiencies. Oh, and if we are going to have a top shelf coaching staff, we need to commit to it financially.

I hope we can get this fixed or our only other goal of making a bowl game will be in jeopardy.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:03 am

Seattleapp wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

The players aren't slow. They just look slow because they're so damn unprepared they're having to figure everything out themselves on the fly.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:04 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 am
yosef69 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 am
What happened to the App State team that played the first three games this season? Seriously. Can anyone explain it? The team that went toe-to-toe with UNC would have bodied Coastal. But this isn't that team anymore.
Much like the team trying to tackle after isn’t INT last night, they don’t care. They’ve given up. No leadership.
I saw zero evidence the players didn’t care. They scored to cut it to one possession and they got coastal in 3rd and long and we got beat because we had a kid out there with no chance to cover 14. So now you are throwing the players under the bus too? I thought your ire was the coaching staff. Glad to see it’s expanded to the players too.
I agree with this statement. From my view in the stands, the team was chasing to guy or trying to get to him. The offensive players do not tackle or train on those drills. If the team gave up on the INT, the guy would not have been tackled at the 1. They would have given up at the 10, etc.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:14 am

GlassOnion wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:03 am
Seattleapp wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

The players aren't slow. They just look slow because they're so damn unprepared they're having to figure everything out themselves on the fly.
Our secondary talent has dropped off considerable

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:15 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:53 pm
Dalton Stroman and the App State Tight End are still open.

Running game this season is a failure. Chuck the pigskin around.
Stroman is OPEN all day long, ALL season

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:29 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:15 am
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:53 pm
Dalton Stroman and the App State Tight End are still open.

Running game this season is a failure. Chuck the pigskin around.
Stroman is OPEN all day long, ALL season
agreed. chuck it around BUT it's hard to really establish a great running game when your rotating backs like we do. There's no need for it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”