AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Parking - Looks like inflation has hit

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:46 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 am
The problem that we have is people buying 6-7-8 tickets with the minimum $500 donation. I get that there are instances of families that buy a large plot of tickets to be together and for those people, I feel for them. But this is long overdue. For years we have asked people to join the YC to support athletics with little traction. Many asking the question, “What’s in it for me?” Well, that question has now been answered.
Let me hit your 6 ticket season ticket holder form another angle.

I had 3 tickets and went to 4 for 2020, which became 2021. I did this despite having my son enroll at App and move into season tickets. I also upped my YC donation and upgraded my tickets.

1. I took the extra 2 tickets and gave the to a good friend of mine, who regularly attended games, but was not committed to season tickets. After a full season, they are now going to become YC members and get their own season tickets, so they can get a parking pass.
So, we have added to the YC and season tickets.
I was planning to go with 3 tickets next year, but will have to evaluate.

2. At the same time, YC downgraded me from Library Deck to Legends in 2019 and split up our tailgating crew, who buys seats together with separate donations.
After several phone calls to the Yosef Club, I was ensured that our accounts would be linked for parking. I also upgraded seats and doubled my YC donation at that time. Despite the promises, YC did not deliver again in 2021.

If YC is going to demand more out of the Fan Base, the fans should also expect more out of the YC, which we all know has been on the decline in delivering
I think that we can all agree that there will be numerous situations that this affects in different levels of frustration. And yes, I agree that there needs to be better deliverables from the YC. No question about that.

Believe it or not, they are trying to be better. If I were in your situation in terms of parking, I would most definitely call them on Monday and get the accounts linked back together, assuming the parking matches the donations. I would follow it up with an email to get it in writing.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:48 pm

Also, there’s a chance where we look like Major League Baseball in 2023. Often, the expensive, posh Club seats are empty behind home plate, while other parts of the stadium are full.
We may fill the top corners and look barren in the middle

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:51 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
The problem that we have is people buying 6-7-8 tickets with the minimum $500 donation. I get that there are instances of families that buy a large plot of tickets to be together and for those people, I feel for them. But this is long overdue. For years we have asked people to join the YC to support athletics with little traction. Many asking the question, “What’s in it for me?” Well, that question has now been answered.

I had 3 tickets and went to 4 for 2020, which became 2021. I did this despite having my son enroll at App and move into the student section. I also upped my YC donation and upgraded my tickets.

1. I took the extra 2 tickets and gave the to a good friend of mine, who regularly attended games, but was not committed to season tickets. After a full season, they are now going to become YC members and get their own season tickets, so they can get a parking pass.

2. At the same time, YC downgraded me from Library Deck to Legends in 2019 and split up our tailgating crew, who buys seats together with separate donations.
After several phone calls to the Yosef Club, I was ensured that our accounts would be linked for parking. I also upgraded seats and doubled my YC donation at that time. Despite the promises, YC did not deliver again in 2021.

If YC is going to demand more out of the Fan Base, the fans should also expect more out of the YC, which we all know has been on the decline in delivering

I support App State for more reasons than realized benefits, but this needs to be more than a cash grab.
Half ass efforts over the years by the athletic department at promoting the Yosef Club and this has become their solution.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:51 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I had 3 tickets and went to 4 for 2020, which became 2021. I did this despite having my son enroll at App and move into the student section. I also upped my YC donation and upgraded my tickets.

I support App State for more reasons than realized benefits, but this needs to be more than a cash grab.
Half ass efforts over the years by the athletic department at promoting the Yosef Club and this has become their solution.
To be honest, this should have happened years ago. Many of our peers have ticket limits based on giving levels.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:46 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I had 3 tickets and went to 4 for 2020, which became 2021. I did this despite having my son enroll at App and move into season tickets. I also upped my YC donation and upgraded my tickets.

I think that we can all agree that there will be numerous situations that this affects in different levels of frustration. And yes, I agree that there needs to be better deliverables from the YC. No question about that.

Believe it or not, they are trying to be better. If I were in your situation in terms of parking, I would most definitely call them on Monday and get the accounts linked back together, assuming the parking matches the donations. I would follow it up with an email to get it in writing.
My plan is to attempt it in person. I already invested a lot of time in early 2020 trying to get it fixed. This included emails and phone calls.
We’ve gone from great tailgates in a great atmosphere to just looking for other pregame options.
And we are overall very positive about the program, attending all home games and a couple of away games each year.

With inflation in every aspect of life, eventually people are going to have to make choices. There still has to be perceived value in any non-essential spend.

Finding a couple of corporate sponsors who see value in a program that is selling our it’s stadium and has a good brand,
while also increasing overall YC membership is a better long game than simply jacking up prices.

Instead, the increases are synched with lodging, dining, grocery, gas and transportation prices. There’s a good chance that they are punting on this plan in 2-3 years

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

To be honest, this should have happened years ago. Many of our peers have ticket limits based on giving levels.
Our peers also provide more for the money given. There is zero need to require a family of 4 to more than double their donations to keep their seats.

The Yosef Club has had the perception of a rich persons club for years. We have finally started to diminish that perception and increasing the lower level donations. With these changes, that perception is right back.

Season tickets and Yosef Club members will drop tremendously in 2023.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:15 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Our peers also provide more for the money given. There is zero need to require a family of 4 to more than double their donations to keep their seats.

The Yosef Club has had the perception of a rich persons club for years. We have finally started to diminish that perception and increasing the lower level donations. With these changes, that perception is right back.

I’ll start out by saying that I understand what your saying and don’t disagree with you. But if you look at ECU, who I would consider a peer, only allows four FB tickets for anyone giving up to the $2,000 level and I am sure the location of those seats is commiserate with your giving level. So essentially $500 a ticket for premium seats. They have sucked on the field and still outpace us in ticket sales.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:15 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

I’ll start out by saying that I understand what your saying and don’t disagree with you. But if you look at ECU, who I would consider a peer, only allows four FB tickets for anyone giving up to the $2,000 level and I am sure the location of those seats is commiserate with your giving level. So essentially $500 a ticket for premium seats. They have sucked on the field and still outpace us in ticket sales.
At the $2000 dollar level, ECU fans also get baseball and basketball parking, club level access, premium seating and parking for football, and a recognition plaque. For us, a $2000 donor gets basketball parking and now lower level football parking since everyone that has 3+ season tickets will be giving $1500+ (which is the level of to get basketball parking and no other benefits).

Additionally, all this is going to do is push the lower level people out. Again, if our goal is to increase membership, this isn't the way. If our only goal is to increase revenue, this will work. But this is also going to make Saturdays filled with single game ticket holders, not season ticket holders. If we have a losing season, ticket sales will fall so fast.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:46 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:15 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

At the $2000 dollar level, ECU fans also get baseball and basketball parking, club level access, premium seating and parking for football, and a recognition plaque. For us, a $2000 donor gets basketball parking and now lower level football parking since everyone that has 3+ season tickets will be giving $1500+ (which is the level of to get basketball parking and no other benefits).

Additionally, all this is going to do is push the lower level people out. Again, if our goal is to increase membership, this isn't the way. If our only goal is to increase revenue, this will work. But this is also going to make Saturdays filled with single game ticket holders, not season ticket holders. If we have a losing season, ticket sales will fall so fast.
I guess we will see.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:34 pm

Unless I overlooked it mentioned somewhere, I assume they aren't doing the same extra tickets for YC members promotion they did for the Miami game this year for the UNC game?

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 am

So. AppStateNews, what's your solution? I see a lot of moaning, negativity and such. But, put some rubber to the road. What would you suggest be done for our program that has been way cheap compared to our peers? How would you grow YC, bring our funding to levels what should be comparable to other G5 programs that are as recognizable as App State.

I'm honestly curious to learn your angle on this. Folks can bitch and moan, and they do, that's fine. But, offer some suggestions to grow and improve things. Negativity is easy. Solving the issue and offering suggestions is bold and helpful. So, have at it please. I'm willing to listen. Educate me.

We can't compete and stay at current levels of low funding that, correct me if I am wrong, student fees carry the majority of.
Twitter: @wxcrum

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:09 am

WXAPP wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 am
So. AppStateNews, what's your solution? I see a lot of moaning, negativity and such. But, put some rubber to the road. What would you suggest be done for our program that has been way cheap compared to our peers? How would you grow YC, bring our funding to levels that should be comparable to other G5 programs that are as recognizable as our brand and program? I'm just curious to learn your angle on this. Folks can bitch and moan, that's fine, but, let's offer some suggestions to grow things. We can't compete and stay at current levels of low funding that, correct me if I am wrong, student fees carry the majority of.
Well my phone conversation with Gillin today showed my ideas. But, as I have said many times, I am not opposed to the increase. I am opposed to the overnight increase for about 70% of our donors. A gradual increase would have been better.

The levels this is impacting are what brings in about 70% of the Yosef Club money. I agree prices needed to go up. We've been underpaying for what we get. I don't disagree with that. However, a booster club that struggles to attract the $5 a month members increasing to a minimum $1500+ donation to keep the seats some have had for over 20 years isn't the way to go.

Had it gone to an advertised increase of say 10% this year, 20% next year, 50% the following, then double, that's more palatable for majority. Gillin agreed with with this actually.

I will still continue to give what I give to Yosef Club. I, however, will not be able to continue to increase by 10% every year like I have been. I know of at least 50 people that will have to either drop season tickets completely (because it's become unaffordable for a family of 4) or lower their amount of season tickets. I have a small core of App supporters in my circle, so this is a large majority. I understand that may not be the same for everyone, but anecdotally, our numbers will dwindle. I sincerely hope I am extremely wrong!

The bottom line -- the goal of the athletic department has shifted from trying to grow member base to trying to grow dollars. I don't necessarily disagree with that approach as money is what is needed. I disagree with how fast they went to that approach.

As far as not providing solutions on a message board -- well, that's not going to have any impact. I prefer to talk to the people in charge to offer my thoughts.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:36 am

Although it can be tough to absorb, this is the perfect time to implement an increase. Heels coming to town and we will have opponents that are more geographically aligned which they believe will create more demand.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:16 am

Wonder if they’re going to “give” us a hot dog and a Pepsi before home games as another perk for giving $1500?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 am

No one likes increases. They force you to do something you are not doing. Really when you think about it, the athletic administration is taking an incremental approach by raising tickets and parking which are more modest in ‘22 and then implementing the per seat fee in ‘23. In ‘22 there will not be much displacement and the department will have some increased revenue. The displacement will occur in ‘23. There will be less season tickets sold and more individual game tickets will increase in sales. Also people will shift to lower per seat fee sections and of course there will be people dropping season tickets entirely. Really what the department would like is to increase the number of season ticket holders and raise more $$$$……. my guess is that will not happen at least for ‘23 and ‘24. The will raise more $$$ and less season tickets. It will behoove them to try and mitigate this by scheduling another home P5 at least by ‘24. Also they would be helped if the football team gets ranked and wins the conference. At the end of the day, it’s the old cost/benefit calculation that we all will have to make.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:36 am

Everyone has ideas moving forward to generate revenue and grow the Yosef Club. Here’s my suggestion. Feel free to shoot holes in it as it’s just an idea.

$60 - Single game football ticket - to take advantage of newly realigned SBC and parents day weekend.
$50 - Single game football ticket standing room or Miller hill only. No seat assignment.

$250 - Base Full Season Ticket (6 home games) and goes up from there. Can purchase up to 4 tickets.

Minimum buy-in cost to purchase 1-4 base season tickets and obtain parking lot assignment

Level 1 Parking assignment
$500 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 1-2 season tickets
$800 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 3-4 season tickets

Level 2 Parking assignment
$1000 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 1-2 season tickets
$1500 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 3-4 season tickets

Level 3 Parking assignment
$2000 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 1-2 season tickets
$2500 donation to Mountaineers Athletic Fund for 3-4 season tickets

$100 min. To Join Yosef Club for the following benefits:
The more you donate, the more points you accrue, the higher your priority in Parking Lot Assignment at each level and season ticket seat assignment based on the total Yosef Club points accrued.
20% discount on all merchandise at bookstore and stadium store.
20% coupon on food and drink purchases all venues.
Opportunity to purchase additional single game tickets (home and away) and bowl game tickets ahead of general public.
Opportunity to purchase special events (home and away game tailgates)
Yosef Club Membership Decals for two vehicles
Yosef Club Membership Card for food and merchandise discount. May also be used for discounts at select restaurants, stores and businesses that also give to the Yosef Club.
Yosef Club Membership Pin to wear.
Special Yosef Club/AD gift at the 5-10-20 year membership mark.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:43 am

@AppStateNews, you can add one more family of 4 to that list. Nearly a 20 yr season ticket holder. Have had 4 for 13 yrs, dropping back down to just 2. Have friends that are a family of 6, again nearly 20 yr ticket holders - They are dropping totally out. Ticket price increase is totally understandable. The 3-year Commitment that includes the per seat is straw that broke camels back. Both of us have given double or more the historical minimum required for seats in the 204 before and after the $500 requirement went into place. (All children are 12 and under in our situations). I know a plan cannot be put in place to grow without having some losers… but seems going after those that pool tickets for friends with all not being yosef members (right thing to do) is unintentionally at the expense of families that are raising our future students/fanbase.

At end of day, this is our choice. For me, keeping 2 tickets in the same section with the same friendships that have been cultivated over nearly 20 years is more important than moving to “worse” seats (my opinion) than maintaining 4 season tickets - influenced by children + wife being unable to make a handful of games each season due to them falling on School nights and us living in Raleigh.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:50 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 am
No one likes increases. They force you to do something you are not doing. Really when you think about it, the athletic administration is taking an incremental approach by raising tickets and parking which are more modest in ‘22 and then implementing the per seat fee in ‘23. In ‘22 there will not be much displacement and the department will have some increased revenue. The displacement will occur in ‘23. There will be less season tickets sold and more individual game tickets will increase in sales. Also people will shift to lower per seat fee sections and of course there will be people dropping season tickets entirely. Really what the department would like is to increase the number of season ticket holders and raise more $$$$……. my guess is that will not happen at least for ‘23 and ‘24. The will raise more $$$ and less season tickets. It will behoove them to try and mitigate this by scheduling another home P5 at least by ‘24. Also they would be helped if the football team gets ranked and wins the conference. At the end of the day, it’s the old cost/benefit calculation that we all will have to make.
I slightly disagree. I and others are dropping some or all season tickets this season because of the 3-year commitment required to purchase’22 season tickets. Purchasing tickets this year is agreeing to the ‘23 per seat donation require in subsequent years.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am

AppStateNews, thanks. I appreciate the insight and the honesty.
Twitter: @wxcrum

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:54 am

WXAPP wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 am
So. AppStateNews, what's your solution? I see a lot of moaning, negativity and such. But, put some rubber to the road. What would you suggest be done for our program that has been way cheap compared to our peers? How would you grow YC, bring our funding to levels what should be comparable to other G5 programs that are as recognizable as App State.

I'm honestly curious to learn your angle on this. Folks can bitch and moan, and they do, that's fine. But, offer some suggestions to grow and improve things. Negativity is easy. Solving the issue and offering suggestions is bold and helpful. So, have at it please. I'm willing to listen. Educate me.

We can't compete and stay at current levels of low funding that, correct me if I am wrong, student fees carry the majority of.
We've all suggested ways the athletic department could market and potentially grow the YC over the years. Some even took the measures to reach out to those that could make a difference and not much changed. You can't honestly say the athletic department did their best over the years before coming up with this solution. It be one thing if we saw them trickle up to this solution, or the push for YC member growth was present everywhere you looked, but it's been far from it.

It be like my son's school canceling his field trip in May due to not enough interest when all the school did was send a paper home back in October to tell people about it. As if they thought a 11 year old reminding his parents or their friends to show more interest would be dependable enough.

That's basically what they've banked on over the years is word of mouth. Anyone that denies their marketing attempts over the years have been half ass needs a grip on reality.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”