Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Re: Brice to App

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Ethan Joyce
@EthanJoyceWSJ
·
5h
Again, they wanted to get a QB for 2021. Wanted to have someone experienced in the room.

Ethan Joyce
@EthanJoyceWSJ
·
5h
I'm not anointing him. The App State staff has been very clear about going and getting a grad transfer QB for 2021. There's wasn't any experience behind Zac and Jacob, and they went and got some.

Still a lot of time until the season kicks off.

App State Nation
@AppStateNation
Despite turning 23 this coming January, Chase Brice still has 2 years of eligibility left. He redshirted at Clemson in 2017, and played there in 2018 and 2019. He played at Duke in 2020, but this year doesn't count against eligibility due to COVID-19.

AppFan79

Unread post by AppFan79 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 pm

Could someone update me on David Baldwin-Griffin? I thought I heard he opted out this season. Is he a QB option for 2021?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Ethan Joyce
@EthanJoyceWSJ
·
5h
Again, they wanted to get a QB for 2021. Wanted to have someone experienced in the room.

Ethan Joyce
@EthanJoyceWSJ
·
5h
I'm not anointing him. The App State staff has been very clear about going and getting a grad transfer QB for 2021. There's wasn't any experience behind Zac and Jacob, and they went and got some.

Still a lot of time until the season kicks off.

App State Nation
@AppStateNation
Despite turning 23 this coming January, Chase Brice still has 2 years of eligibility left. He redshirted at Clemson in 2017, and played there in 2018 and 2019. He played at Duke in 2020, but this year doesn't count against eligibility due to COVID-19.
That whole Twitter thread is a dumpster fire...poor Ethan
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm

AppFan79 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 pm
Could someone update me on David Baldwin-Griffin? I thought I heard he opted out this season. Is he a QB option for 2021?
At this time, the smart money is on him not returning. Of course, things could always change. But right now, no.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm
AppFan79 wrote:
At this time, the smart money is on him not returning. Of course, things could always change. But right now, no.
Ethan said he is no longer a part of the program

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:55 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm
AppFan79 wrote:
Ethan said he is no longer a part of the program
Yes. I knew that. I was just being kind.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:27 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:40 pm
As long as our goal is to not just hand him the keys and we have him compete for the job, I think this could be good. I just dont want to see some Joe Burchette back there lumbering around in the pocket.
After watching some of his film I can safely say Joe Burchette he is not.
:lol:
The Appalachian State

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm
AppDub wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
As long as our goal is to not just hand him the keys and we have him compete for the job, I think this could be good. I just dont want to see some Joe Burchette back there lumbering around in the pocket.
But, is he better than Todd Payton?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:20 am

I watched about six of Duke's 2020 highlights, he throws a nice ball. He also has pretty good ball placement. He appears to have slower foot speed than Zac for comparison sake. I thought of the interceptions I saw that two or three were tip balls that the Duke receivers should have caught. He will certainly bring more game experience to the QB room.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 am

AppDub wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Joe was the QB my first year here. I ended with AE due to me being stupid. Those were some fun years!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:12 am

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 am
AppDub wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Joe was the QB my first year here. I ended with AE due to me being stupid. Those were some fun years!
Yep. I was there same years, left with Richie Williams though. I was being plenty "stupid", but tried to limit it to the weekends only. :D

My wife was there for AEs first 2 years before she graduated (we were engaged/married), so I got to be there for those too like a student still. Quite the ride from Burchette- Richie- AE
The Appalachian State

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am

We tend to develop players in the system, rather than bringing in transfers. Even if he was a high recruit if he doesn’t fit our system it will be tough for him. If he has a good arm that will help but in my opinion he needs to be able to run and scramble to some degree. Pure pocket passers don’t just get it in Boone.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:34 am

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am
We tend to develop players in the system, rather than bringing in transfers. Even if he was a high recruit if he doesn’t fit our system it will be tough for him. If he has a good arm that will help but in my opinion he needs to be able to run and scramble to some degree. Pure pocket passers don’t just get it in Boone.
Valid points. After watching some of his past film at Clemson and Duke, looks like he ran the ball a pretty decent amount on designed plays. Runs well for a big guy at 6' 3" 230. Not afraid to use his size to run through a CB as well. Either way he has to earn the spot. For what its worth, Satterfield was the QB when I was there for the first 2 years.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:41 am

AppDub wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:34 am
yikas1 wrote:
Valid points. After watching some of his past film at Clemson and Duke, looks like he ran the ball a pretty decent amount on designed plays. Runs well for a big guy at 6' 3" 230. Not afraid to use his size to run through a CB as well. Either way he has to earn the spot. For what its worth, Satterfield was the QB when I was there for the first 2 years.
Our system is better suited for him than Duke’s. Cutcliffe is a QB genius. His system is complex and takes a while to grasp. Given the issues with the off-season due to CoVid, there was a truncated learning curve for Brice. Can’t discount that element as a part of the reason for the production.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:41 am
AppDub wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:34 am
yikas1 wrote:
Our system is better suited for him than Duke’s. Cutcliffe is a QB genius. His system is complex and takes a while to grasp. Given the issues with the off-season due to CoVid, there was a truncated learning curve for Brice. Can’t discount that element as a part of the reason for the production.
Do we expect this off season to be that dramatically different?
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 am

There are absolutely zero negatives about Chase coming to Boone. We have a very talented and experienced QB coming into the QB room. We have some young talent already in the QB room and some great young talent on the way.

Best case: Chase lives up to the hype, kills it, and the App train keeps rolling.

Worst Case: Chase brings his knowledge, leadership, and experience to the program and the young QBs.

Chase seems like a great kid, seems to be loved by all of his teammates. All of our guys on the mountain seem VERY excited to have him. The system and culture on the mountain is VERY different than Dook. If I was a betting man, my money is on Chase being a star.

GO APPS!!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:04 am

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 am
There are absolutely zero negatives about Chase coming to Boone. We have a very talented and experienced QB coming into the QB room. We have some young talent already in the QB room and some great young talent on the way.

Best case: Chase lives up to the hype, kills it, and the App train keeps rolling.

Worst Case: Chase brings his knowledge, leadership, and experience to the program and the young QBs.

Chase seems like a great kid, seems to be loved by all of his teammates. All of our guys on the mountain seem VERY excited to have him. The system and culture on the mountain is VERY different than Dook. If I was a betting man, my money is on Chase being a star.

GO APPS!!
While I love your enthusiasm and I too am hoping this works out for the best for our program, I would amend a couple of things in your post.

Worst Case: Brice becomes our starter and is exactly what he was at Duke. He then decides to stay for his second year and one of more of our talented young guys leave via the portal. Then after year 2 we are back to square one with a huge undeveloped ? At the most important position in football.

As to Dukes system vs ours; They are built for pocket passers (but have had a bunch of dual threat guys) which is what Brice is. Cutcliffe is a noted QB developer, no one or our staff has EVER been called that.

Now our culture I agree with you on, which is why I am not really losing my mind on this because Mountaineer football will carry on.

My biggest concern with all this has nothing to do with Brice. It's Tony Petersen. He has openly said you can only develop 2 QBs at a time, so Brice and someone will be getting all the reps this spring and fall (will be huge to see the QB room in the spring). That means the other guys are trying to get in "mental reps" without the muscle memory to go with it. While I believe we have the most talent we have ever had in the QB room I don't feel confident in that translating on the field due to lack of development.

Again I hope I am dead wrong and we see the greatest QB play we have ever seen in Black and Gold.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:09 am

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 am

GO APPS!!
We definitely needed a transfer QB. Zero negative there. Whether Brice was the best one we could have brought in is less clear.

Won’t know how he works out until the fall, of course. We’ll probably never know which other transfers we could have had a real shot with.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 am

App91 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm
AppDub wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
But, is he better than Todd Payton?
No way!
BLACK SATURDAY

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 am

I was thinking about something else.

At Clemson, everyone was very high on Chase, and he played well when given the chance. Clemson has more gifted and talented athletes across the board, compared to everyone else in the ACC. Duke is the complete opposite, Chase struggled.

At App, I think it could be argued that we have superior athletes and talent compared to most if not all the other SunBelt teams. This is another reason, why I am optimistic about Chase and his potential to succeed on the mountain.

GO APPS!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”