Maryland job

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Maryland job

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:48 am
I certainly don't want Satt to go but it seems to me he's exactly the kind of coach Maryland needs in their situation. He'd right that ship...but please don't go.
The HC can only do some much. Maryland's problems are far broader than what the football HC can fix and require the administration and school to resolve. The next HC will be jumping into a toxic mess that does not have a visible light at the end of the tunnel.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 pm

AppNation85 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm
I wonder if Troy Brown is related to Neal Brown.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:00 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:48 am
I certainly don't want Satt to go but it seems to me he's exactly the kind of coach Maryland needs in their situation. He'd right that ship...but please don't go.
The HC can only do some much. Maryland's problems are far broader than what the football HC can fix and require the administration and school to resolve. The next HC will be jumping into a toxic mess that does not have a visible light at the end of the tunnel.
Must be more to it than I was aware of. I've heard/read about the toxicity within the football program and the administration's attempts to rectify it. If it transcends the football program, then you're right, but if it's the football program then the HC sets the culture and tone of the team just like with any organization...it starts at the top. It would take time of course.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:57 pm

I am sorry. I guess it is not toxic, since the AP said it is not. :lol:

https://apnews.com/508426b2b7084f669d4b93bfa2d708f7

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:20 pm

If and when Satt does move on I certainly hope it is not for this one. That program will go thru 3-4 coaches in the next 5-6 years and not be P5 competitive for a long long time if ever.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:49 pm

People always sAy “Money talks” and that anybody, especially coaches would take a job if the money is that much more. I’m sorry, but I know plenty of people that aren’t motivated by money. I’ve had plenty of chances for jobs that would pay more (sometimes double) than my current salary, but the situation would not be good for my family or my lifestyle. Why would Satt want to insert himself into a mess like UM or UNC with support and administrative issues. To me, money wouldn’t be the answer.
The Appalachian State

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Other than App State what schools are a good fit for our coach and his family? I hope he stays here until we are atleast recognized by most as the “Boise State” of the East.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

dp42828

Unread post by dp42828 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:02 am

I've come to terms with Scott leaving. It's going to happen. Maybe this year, maybe not. We have been extremely spoiled with coaching longevity.

I can stomach Maryland over UNC. UNC and GSU are right up there at the top of my hate list lol...those are the only two schools he could go to that I would not wish him much luck in taking haha.

But yeah, I have a BAD feeling about this off season...
David
2004 Marketing & Management Grad

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 am

Georgia Tech

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 am

dp42828 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:02 am
I've come to terms with Scott leaving. It's going to happen. Maybe this year, maybe not. We have been extremely spoiled with coaching longevity.

I can stomach Maryland over UNC. UNC and GSU are right up there at the top of my hate list lol...those are the only two schools he could go to that I would not wish him much luck in taking haha.

But yeah, I have a BAD feeling about this off season...
That bad feeling is probably something that you ate. He isn't going anywhere after this year, or next, or the next.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 am
Georgia Tech
I'm with Rekdiver, that Ga Tech position may be too tempting for Scott. It would keep him in his footprint states for recruiting and Woody is already on Staff. Nice resources and ACC competition. I'm not going to worry about what I cannot control, just enjoying this for as long as I can. I'm sure we will have an abundance of quality coaches to choose from when the time arises. GO APP!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:39 am

I’m not sure PJ is going anywhere. If you were Woody, would you have left App knowing that there was a chance that the HC might be gone in a year and the new HC might want to bring in a new DC?

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm
Other than App State what schools are a good fit for our coach and his family? I hope he stays here until we are atleast recognized by most as the “Boise State” of the East.
As has been mentioned, Georgia Tech. As much as I hate to say it though, looking at it objectively I think UNC would be harder to turn down. They have the money; pretty low ceiling of expectations for football; good facilities; play in the ACC, so very winnable competition; and the big factor I think could be quality of life for his family wherever he goes...Chapel Hill is a great place to live and raise a family (far better than Atlanta IMO). Satt's originally from Hillsborough which is 10 min away.

I'd add possibly Louisville as a fit, but I doubt it. If he waits another year or so, I think more quality jobs will be open. Some of the bigger programs may come back open (Florida State, UCLA, Auburn...maybe Miami, Ohio St?)...he won't get those, but those programs will take coaches from the middle tier P5 schools (think NC State, Georgia Tech, Miss St, etc), so that'll open up more of those jobs.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:21 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 am
Georgia Tech
I'm with Rekdiver, that Ga Tech position may be too tempting for Scott. It would keep him in his footprint states for recruiting and Woody is already on Staff. Nice resources and ACC competition. I'm not going to worry about what I cannot control, just enjoying this for as long as I can. I'm sure we will have an abundance of quality coaches to choose from when the time arises. GO APP!!!
Taking over a team built for the triple O? Talk about rebuild...
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:26 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:00 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm
As has been mentioned, Georgia Tech. As much as I hate to say it though, looking at it objectively I think UNC would be harder to turn down. They have the money; pretty low ceiling of expectations for football; good facilities; play in the ACC, so very winnable competition; and the big factor I think could be quality of life for his family wherever he goes...Chapel Hill is a great place to live and raise a family (far better than Atlanta IMO). Satt's originally from Hillsborough which is 10 min away.

I'd add possibly Louisville as a fit, but I doubt it. If he waits another year or so, I think more quality jobs will be open. Some of the bigger programs may come back open (Florida State, UCLA, Auburn...maybe Miami, Ohio St?)...he won't get those, but those programs will take coaches from the middle tier P5 schools (think NC State, Georgia Tech, Miss St, etc), so that'll open up more of those jobs.
No offense to Carolina, but that is not an appealing job. You can talk about money and facilities, but they have terrible support for football, poor attendance and low recognition in the CF landscape. In the past, it was more of a “stepping stone” job, but has more recently been a place for aspiring coaches to go and ruin their careers. My guess he does not go there.

I certainly believe Scott is gone sooner than later, but do not see anything upcoming that would “align the stars”. I say he has one or two more years in Boone...
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”