Jerry Moore will not return

Appsolutely

Thanks KP

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 am

The recent comments from Peacock should pretty much put this thing to bed. Kudos to him for providing details to answer the concerns which many of us have expressed. Personally, I'm ready to move on. Major decisions are about to be made which will shape the future of the program. I'm excited about the possibilities.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Statement from Chancellor Peacock

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am

Quite possibly the case. But, at the same time, Coach is still a pretty spry 73 and put in the right position could certainly be beneficial to the University for another 10years or so. At the same time I think most of us would agree that CC will not be in Boone for anywhere near that long, assuming the spotty handling of these hiring/firing issues doesn't impact his growth potential. Maybe Coach figures he could "outlast" CC and in the meantime cement his legacy (and help the university he loves so much) at ASU by simply continuing to maintain a presence.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:I agree completely with ending it all here. I was simply saying that many, especially those in the media, are not going to let it lie until no questions exist, it simply makes for too good of a story. "He said, she said" or "He said, He said, He said" in this case will always have folks hooked. I think that with KP issuing this statement we now have enough facts to draw a reasonable conclusion as to how things went down. There really are no winners in this game of back and forth. For everyone's sake lets hope cooler heads prevail and we see a day in the next few weeks where we hear that Coach Moore has accepted a position within the department and the department is working on plans to honor Coach Moore during the 2013 season, our last in the SoCon (or at least that is my hope).

Could be Coach burned too many bridges to be offered a position. I really don't think he wants to work for CC so it is probably a moot point.
After this war of words there is no way Coach Moore will be working at ASU. Cobb left the door open for that in his original remarks, but I believe that ship has sailed by now. I don't know why some are so surprised by this. Jerry is 73 and the team is obviously not performing as well as it has in the past. Add in the off-field issues with players and coaches, and it is pretty clear his time as head coach was about over. Time to move forward and find the right man to build on what Coach Moore helped create.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

clayton

Unread post by clayton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 am

“All I really wanted was an answer. Tell me I’m not doing a good job, tell me I’m too old or something. Just tell me something. Then it got to the word ‘they.’ ‘They think it’s time.’ I don’t know who the ‘they’ is, and I don’t know what ‘it’s time’ means.”

We're talking about Jerry Moore. JERRY MOORE. This isn't Buzz Peterson.

This is Jerry Moore. I know many of us want to move on. But, we have an administration that made Jerry Moore say that to the press. Should we feel good about that?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am

clayton wrote:“All I really wanted was an answer. Tell me I’m not doing a good job, tell me I’m too old or something. Just tell me something. Then it got to the word ‘they.’ ‘They think it’s time.’ I don’t know who the ‘they’ is, and I don’t know what ‘it’s time’ means.”

This is Jerry Moore. I know many of us want to move on. But, we have an administration that made Jerry Moore say that to the press. Should we feel good about that?
Where did that quote come from?

JCline0429

Re: write up about moore's "retiring"

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:09 am

appst89 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:Was it an insane amount Speir and Moore were making?
Not at all, but my argument was never with the amount to begin with, it was the fact that he was the second highest paid assistant.

I know, but it was the " insane amount" quip that was said and repeated on here that I was addressing. I knew he was high on the list and never argued that, but "insane amount" was unfair, incorrect, and mis-leading. But not surprising.
a.k.a JC0429

flyfish326

It is what it is!

Unread post by flyfish326 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am

Folks- Please lets move on to bigger and better things for the future of App State foosballlll! Yea- JM is gone. Yes, JM did some ok things.. But just like the rest of us common folk, if our job performance declines over time, our mgt team will determine if, and when its time for us to go.
JM isn't different from me, or the rest of the App State nation. I truly believe when all the people take the emotion out of this situation, and take a long look at JM's steady performance decline, it is the BEST thing for this team for him to pack up the office, fire a red star cluster, and fade into the mist.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 am

Speaking to a few members of the media yesterday at KBS: per Tommy Bowman:

http://mobi.journalnow.com/winston/db_/ ... ue#display

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 am

JCline0429 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:Was it an insane amount Speir and Moore were making?
Not at all, but my argument was never with the amount to begin with, it was the fact that he was the second highest paid assistant.

I know, but it was the " insane amount" quip that was said and repeated on here that I was addressing. I knew he was 2nd or so on the list but "insane amount" was unfair, incorrect, and mis-leading. But not surprising.
Well, I never said it or repeated it. I never said anything other than he shouldn't have been the second highest paid assistant.

I just did a search on this site and on the old MMB. The "insane amount" comment was made once. Every other time it appears is in a post by you or someone quoting your posts. There are total of 15 of those.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am

T-Dog wrote:Here's the coaches' salary list from 2011, coming straight fron the N&O's database of state employees.

Jerry Moore (23 seasons with program) $170,000
Dale Jones (16) 85,801
Mike Kent (2*) 78,885
Mark Speir (9) 72,100
Chris Moore (13) 72,100
Bob McClain (2) 70,000
Scot Sloan (2) 65,300
Brad Glenn (7) 65,000
Jason Blalock (2*) 31,500
Trey Elder (2) 25,000
John Holt (4) 22,625
John Mark Hamilton (3) not available

* Second Tenure as ASU assistant

Chris' "13 years of experience" includes the first six of which he was a student assistant and a volunteer. He went from nothing to second-highest paid assistant in seven years. For those years Jerry "deferred raises to his assistants", a lot of it went to Chris. His salary jumped up to 230K this season since he didn't defer.

Also, both Holt and Elder were limited-earnings assistants. Jerry told everyone there was no guarantee they would have jobs when the FBS move happened.
This was a big reason why they went to Western as they got a pay increases plus they now run their own summer camps, which provides extra income that isn't on the books.

Your list sounds like what I thought before the attrition and what it had been like for quite a while.
I'm still wondering why the poster lied or misrepresented about the "insane amount" thing.
a.k.a JC0429

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am

AppStateCentral wrote:
sonsofyosef wrote:Whatever you make of Peacock's statement, what he does not say is that Coach Moore signed a contract agreeing that this past season would be his last. I think if they had such a contract they would produce it. Everything other than the memos sent between Cobb and Peacock (according to Peacock) seems to be verbal, right?
His contract was up. He did not have to sign anything. He works at the behest of the University. They gave him another year. Moore hoped that he would somehow change his fate. He did not. The way this went down without a farewell season is on Moore, not the Cobb or Peacock.
Last edited by GoAppsGo92 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 am

clayton wrote:“All I really wanted was an answer. Tell me I’m not doing a good job, tell me I’m too old or something. Just tell me something. Then it got to the word ‘they.’ ‘They think it’s time.’ I don’t know who the ‘they’ is, and I don’t know what ‘it’s time’ means.”

It just shows that ego and ignorance have clouded his judgement. This is App State not Western. 8-4 and first round exits might be great for them but not us. I have a picture that JM signed for me that says, "Always do more than expected". Looks like he isn't following his own advice.

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 am

HkyMtneer wrote:Quite possibly the case. But, at the same time, Coach is still a pretty spry 73 and put in the right position could certainly be beneficial to the University for another 10years or so. At the same time I think most of us would agree that CC will not be in Boone for anywhere near that long, assuming the spotty handling of these hiring/firing issues doesn't impact his growth potential. Maybe Coach figures he could "outlast" CC and in the meantime cement his legacy (and help the university he loves so much) at ASU by simply continuing to maintain a presence.
Jerry was offered that chance to be beneficial to the University in another capacity. He declined. That is not on Peacock or Cobb either. That was Moore's choice.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 am

appbio91 wrote: Go back and look at the link you posted. Moore never said he did not know, he said he did not agree that this would be his last year. The man is simply holding Cobbs feet to the fire. He wanted to stay and is making it clear that it was not his decision to retire. IMO he should have taken the deal last year. I do understand that he would not want to finish his career under that cloud though. My guess is Coach will clarify eventually and wd can all move on.
He DID KNOW, as he rejected the 3 year offer, and REQUSTED 1 more year as coach instead. The one year HC position was not offered by Cobb, but by Jerry Moore, and Cobb and Peacock accepted it.

The problem is, alot of people think Jerry Moore walks on water, but he's really up to his chest.

ViewCrew87

Re: Thanks KP

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 am

Only 2 more months until baseball.

Where's the Tylenol??

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am

Time to come up with a way to honor Jerry's service, get the new coach on board and move on. We've aired enough dirty laundry.

It's great to be a Mountaineer!

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

ASUTodd wrote:

It just shows that ego and ignorance have clouded his judgement. This is App State not Western. 8-4 and first round exits might be great for them but not us. I have a picture that JM signed for me that says, "Always do more than expected". Looks like he isn't following his own advice.
Moore needs to learn from the mistake Romney made after the election. He needs to STFU.
Last edited by Appsolutely on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

To me, it seems to be a breakdown in communication. I see no need to vilify either side.

They had a conversation after the 2011 season and Jerry asks for one more season. He thinks that is one more season to get the program moving in the right direction, CC thinks it is simply one more season.

Could have been handled better by BOTH parties but what's done is done. Dragging either JM or KP/CC through the mud will only hinder our progress.

Daq32

Both Parties are to Blame

Unread post by Daq32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 am

Finally! These news releases give us some more clarity!

I've had a similiar situation to this happen in my career recently, although I wouldn't say by any means that I was loved by my company like Jerry was at ASU. But I was a very good employee who did an exceptional job and had customers routinely praise me unsolicited to my higher ups. By all accounts, I had done my job the best I could. When the company decided to eliminate my position companywide, I had expressed my desire to stay with the company in another role. I had accomplished all I could in my position and sacrificed a lot for the company. I felt like I deserved to stay around (still think that). However, I had to finish out my contract (about a year) before I could take another job in the company. At around the time I was made aware of my job being eliminated, I expressed to my manager (who was a sales manager I was put under after my division's leadership was axed) that I wanted to stay and take a role in sales, which I think I was perfectly qualified for. He never really gave me a yes or no answer, and even suggested that I look into a training position (which I was also qualified for). I told him I was more interested in sales and thats what I wanted when it was time. I interviewed with the sales VP after a meeting shortly after and that was it.

For roughly the next year, I never got a firm yes or no on me staying to take a sales role. There were casual convos about it throughout the year, but never a real answer. Occasionally I'd get a pat on the back from one of my superiors that in my mind gave me hope that things would work out how I wanted. As long as I kept my head down and performed my job at a high level, management would keep me and I did exactly that. In fact, my customers had even approached my VP about renewing my contract (which wasn't an option because they were eliminating my division).

Unfortunately, that was not the case and when the day came, I was told I was being let go. By all objective measures, I was a model employee who was more successful than most. I knew my stuff, I was ready for more responsibility. There was nothing negative that they could say about my work up until that point. In my mind, the results I delivered should've guaranteed me a shot at the job above me.

Lesson learned. The world doesn't work that way. The decision to not promote me was completely subjective. I didn't "fit the mold" sales management was looking for. They wanted to go in a different direction. It did not matter that I spent 2 1/2 years paying my dues and doing an exceptional job at the same time. They had a set type they were looking for and I wasn't it.

Before I saw these news releases, I was of the opinion that we should reserve judgement on Cobb and Peacock on how this was handled. Now, I think they do deserve some blame for handling this so poorly. But that doesn't mean Jerry isn't at fault either. If there was doubt in his mind about what his future looked like, he should've spoken up and demanded a definitive answer. Instead, he kept his head down and did his job the best he could, hoping that his work would allow him another year. But to his dismay, the decision was made. Cobb and Peacock didn't think Jerry needed to be told twice and were probably were letting Jerry come to his retirement on his terms, by humbly doing his job and side stepping the spotlight. Miscommunication? Aversion? Whatever it was, both parties should have realized that maybe we need to iron this out at some point this past year, to make sure we are all on the same page.

I really feel for Jerry. I know what it's like to work your ass off, sacrifice, and produce excellent results to be told, "it's time". It's a bullshit reason to justify firing someone and he deserves better. Where Jerry and I differ is that I'm 30 and he's 73. He's accomplished so much, and I've accomplished very little in comparision. I know he's feeling the sting right now, but when the smoke settles, he's going to look back on his career and be proud of everything he's accomplished. He can rest now and enjoy his success, while I've still got to fight. I envy him for that.

I'm still of the opinion that I think we needed a fresh face at HC, but now with a little more clarity, I can definitely sympathize with Jerry's situation.

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am

asumike83 wrote:To me, it seems to be a breakdown in communication. I see no need to vilify either side.

They had a conversation after the 2011 season and Jerry asks for one more season. He thinks that is one more season to get the program moving in the right direction, CC thinks it is simply one more season.

Could have been handled better by BOTH parties but what's done is done. Dragging either JM or KP/CC through the mud will only hinder our progress.
I understand the need to close ranks here, but what you are saying is not correct. Jerry had made this harder than it needs to be... to the point that Peacock had been forced to release a statement to say that a written communication had been given to Moore back in December 2011. Moore refused to announce his retirement, and refused to allow the university to celebrate him as our coach for 24 years during this past season. Then, Jerry adds to the pile by saying he did not agree to this being his last year... what he DIDN'T say is that he doesn't have to agree, because this is not his choice. His contract is up, and it will not be renewed. He hoped things would change. They didn't. Jerry Moore chose the manner in which he would exit the program, not ASU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”