Jerry Moore will not return

GlassOnion

Re: Statement from Chancellor Peacock

Unread post by GlassOnion » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

1ASU78 wrote:"Maybe Cobb should have used bigger letters in his WRITTEN communication. "I dont want to cause any issues now," well oops. Sure screwed that one up didnt he?"

I wonder whats in the memo to the basketball guys?
LMFAO!

sonsofyosef
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by sonsofyosef » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:56 am

Whatever you make of Peacock's statement, what he does not say is that Coach Moore signed a contract agreeing that this past season would be his last. I think if they had such a contract they would produce it. Everything other than the memos sent between Cobb and Peacock (according to Peacock) seems to be verbal, right?

The Brad Adcock story seems too contrived. Contrived to suggest that Coach Moore is either a liar, or more likely a senile old man. That's actually pretty underhanded given that Coach Moore has not cast aspersions personally on Cobb or Peacock in his recent statements.

if you take Peacock's statement as pure truth, that's a lot to have kept secret from Satterfield and the other assistant coaches.

I do not. If you do, we will have to agree to disagree.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 am

sonsofyosef wrote:Whatever you make of Peacock's statement, what he does not say is that Coach Moore signed a contract agreeing that this past season would be his last.
He had/has a signed contract that expires in June 2013 (I believe that's the date). Therefore, under the current contract, it is reflected that the 2012 season is the last, no need for another contract.
Last edited by WataugaMan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:04 am

Game, Set, Match

Some will never believe Peacock because they are infatuated with Jerry Moore. Admiraton is one thing, blind devotion is another. Coach moore began this war of words. If he did not want to cause any problems he would have accepted the 3 year offer last year and retired as a legend. He now comes off like a bitter old man. Sad it had to end this way but there were many indications over the past few years where you could see this coming.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

hAPPy4APP

Re: write up about moore's "retiring"

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 am

Cobb's and Peacock's story may hold up techincally, and ultimately they are in charge.
Their handling of it still s**ks.
Even though they may be technically correct, they had the opportunity to do the DECENT thing, and they took the low road.
Reminds me of the sh***y way UNC got rid of Crum at UNC years ago, and although I don't personally care about UNC, it was an act I'll never forget, and I';ll always think less of them for it.
Its sad to see these things happen at App.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:44 am

sonsofyosef wrote:Whatever you make of Peacock's statement, what he does not say is that Coach Moore signed a contract agreeing that this past season would be his last. I think if they had such a contract they would produce it. Everything other than the memos sent between Cobb and Peacock (according to Peacock) seems to be verbal, right?
Why would there be a contract? His contract is up.. this was his last season of his contract. There is no need to have another contract -- just not renewing his contract is enough.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 am

Sonsofyosef, please read the release again. It clearly states Cobb gave coach Moore written communication...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 am

how did they take the low road? They offered him a 3 year, 6 figure salary at another positon? How many people in their lifetime would be given that opportunity?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

I think the next logical step is for the administration to produce a copy of the memo's exchanged between CC and Coach and between CC and KP. I realize that some details, such as the explicit details of the 3-year offer might need to be "blacked out" but the production of any memos regarding this communication now must be produced. I'm sure the papers have already requested them, so hopefully they will be soon forthcoming.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am

Personally, I don't think any more info needs to be released. Both sides need to go silent and try to let this end. Next communication should be that we have given Moore a position in our admin or when we will honor him.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

HkyMtneer wrote:I think the next logical step is for the administration to produce a copy of the memo's exchanged between CC and Coach and between CC and KP. I realize that some details, such as the explicit details of the 3-year offer might need to be "blacked out" but the production of any memos regarding this communication now must be produced. I'm sure the papers have already requested them, so hopefully they will be soon forthcoming.

No, No and Heck No. Leave it alone. There will ALWAYS be some small amount of uncertainty that exists so that one side or the other can say "but, I didn't really agree to......." or "I thought that was just a formality and he verbally said......". Folks, it's over. Let's move on.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 am

Hopefully, this will satisfy evryone that CC told the truth about how this all went down. I realize it probably won't make any difference to those few who still have their head buried up Jerry's arse.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 am

<snicker>

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am

appbio91 wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:Everyone knows darn well that Charlie Cobb and Dr Peacock in a room alone with Jerry Moore, TOLD Jerry that he could either be fired last year because of the huge mess, or retire after this season on condition of his son leaving and Satterfield taking a big part. It was supposed to be last season, but JM fanangle another year out of them cause Cobb and Peacock are good people, trying to do the right thing. JM KNEW that this was supposed to be the last. Now JM may have not agreed with 100% of the deal, but HE TOOK THE DEAL THAT WAS OFFERED, OTHERWISE HE'D HAVE BEEN GONE LAST YEAR. He thought he could win enough and twist enough arms to get back this year, and get out of his half of the bargain.

The deliberately chosen words in that interview, are meant to imply he was blindsided. If he hadnt agreed he'd have already been gone!

Im starting to lose alot of respect for him.
The point is that it was presented as something other than a firing. Cobb and Peacock should have the balls to call it what it was; a firing. If you were fired tomorrow and told, we like you so you can stay another year, what would you do. If you were 73 years old you would stay and try to redeem yourself probably. Coach Moore has a right to be pissed. HE WAS FIRED.
Whether it was time for him to go is another topic. It was time. It is just very unfortunate that he did not get to dictate the terms.
So, when Julius Peppers' contract ended and the Panthers didn't resign him, was he fired? That's exactly what happened here. This is easy stuff, his contract ends in June 2013 and is not being renewed. That's not a firing, that's honoring a contract. Wow.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am

GlassOnion wrote:Yep. And what exactly does that say about JM's remarks about not knowing?

“I don’t won’t to offend anybody. There’s not any big, big issues. It was a communication thing between Charlie and I… and I don’t want to cause any issues now.”- Jerry Moore in the Winston Salem Journal

Maybe Cobb should have used bigger letters in his WRITTEN communication. "I dont want to cause any issues now," well oops. Sure screwed that one up didnt he?

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ap ... 0f31a.html
Go back and look at the link you posted. Moore never said he did not know, he said he did not agree that this would be his last year. The man is simply holding Cobbs feet to the fire. He wanted to stay and is making it clear that it was not his decision to retire. IMO he should have taken the deal last year. I do understand that he would not want to finish his career under that cloud though. My guess is Coach will clarify eventually and wd can all move on.
Last edited by appbio91 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 am

If when I'm 72 years old ASU offered me a 3-year 6-figure salary to just hang around and be a good-will ambassador for the university with probably as much freedom as I can imagine, I'm knocking over KP or CC to grab the pen to sign that contract just as fast as I can. I would have to realize they are not going to let me stay in my current role forever; so I would take the gravy-train money, keep a close association with the program that I'm so invested in, spend more time with my lovely wife, and figure that I just hit the jackpot. (Now I realize Jerry is not the lazy-a$$ that I am, but that's a pretty sweet deal IMO).

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:Everyone knows darn well that Charlie Cobb and Dr Peacock in a room alone with Jerry Moore, TOLD Jerry that he could either be fired last year because of the huge mess, or retire after this season on condition of his son leaving and Satterfield taking a big part. It was supposed to be last season, but JM fanangle another year out of them cause Cobb and Peacock are good people, trying to do the right thing. JM KNEW that this was supposed to be the last. Now JM may have not agreed with 100% of the deal, but HE TOOK THE DEAL THAT WAS OFFERED, OTHERWISE HE'D HAVE BEEN GONE LAST YEAR. He thought he could win enough and twist enough arms to get back this year, and get out of his half of the bargain.

The deliberately chosen words in that interview, are meant to imply he was blindsided. If he hadnt agreed he'd have already been gone!

Im starting to lose alot of respect for him.
The point is that it was presented as something other than a firing. Cobb and Peacock should have the balls to call it what it was; a firing. If you were fired tomorrow and told, we like you so you can stay another year, what would you do. If you were 73 years old you would stay and try to redeem yourself probably. Coach Moore has a right to be pissed. HE WAS FIRED.
Whether it was time for him to go is another topic. It was time. It is just very unfortunate that he did not get to dictate the terms.
So, when Julius Peppers' contract ended and the Panthers didn't resign him, was he fired? That's exactly what happened here. This is easy stuff, his contract ends in June 2013 and is not being renewed. That's not a firing, that's honoring a contract. Wow.
I am not sure Peppers wanted to stay in Charlotte so bad analogy. I agree he was not fired. From now on I will say defacto fired :D

sonsofyosef

Accountability

Unread post by sonsofyosef » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 am

It seems to me that some people (perhaps most?) on this site lean toward giving a "royal prerogative" to administrators such as Peacock and Cobb. A mindset that grants them the right to do what they please, by any means necessary. Only bound by the letter of the law, perhaps. To top it off, give them an automatic benefit of the doubt. Case closed, discussion over, after they have weighed in on the matter.

Fair enough. With virtually unchecked power should come the responsibility to be held accountable. Some university advocates may say that Peacock and Cobb have already failed the accountability test when it comes to the management of the situation with Coach Moore over the past year. Clearly, there were not definite terms understood and agreed to by both Coach Moore and Peacock/Cobb. Instead, one of the most important decisions in the history of our football program hinged on what appears to be an ad hoc, informal agreement that is susceptible to everyone's imperfect memory (Sorry, I refuse to assume that the minds of Peacock and Cobb function any better than the mind of Coach Moore).

No, I refer to the accountability that falls on Peacock's and Cobb's shoulders after performing highly invasive surgery on App's football program. How would you propose holding them accountable?

FBS invite to a suitable conference?
Great hire for head coach?
Fourth National Championship next season?
All of the above?

Add to that the mess that has been made of the men's basketball program. It is not football, but needs to be fixed.

How, and over what timeline, should Peacock's and Cobb's job performance be assessed in this important matter?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 am

I agree completely with ending it all here. I was simply saying that many, especially those in the media, are not going to let it lie until no questions exist, it simply makes for too good of a story. "He said, she said" or "He said, He said, He said" in this case will always have folks hooked. I think that with KP issuing this statement we now have enough facts to draw a reasonable conclusion as to how things went down. There really are no winners in this game of back and forth. For everyone's sake lets hope cooler heads prevail and we see a day in the next few weeks where we hear that Coach Moore has accepted a position within the department and the department is working on plans to honor Coach Moore during the 2013 season, our last in the SoCon (or at least that is my hope).

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 am

HkyMtneer wrote:I agree completely with ending it all here. I was simply saying that many, especially those in the media, are not going to let it lie until no questions exist, it simply makes for too good of a story. "He said, she said" or "He said, He said, He said" in this case will always have folks hooked. I think that with KP issuing this statement we now have enough facts to draw a reasonable conclusion as to how things went down. There really are no winners in this game of back and forth. For everyone's sake lets hope cooler heads prevail and we see a day in the next few weeks where we hear that Coach Moore has accepted a position within the department and the department is working on plans to honor Coach Moore during the 2013 season, our last in the SoCon (or at least that is my hope).

Could be Coach burned too many bridges to be offered a position. I really don't think he wants to work for CC so it is probably a moot point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”