Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Construction updates on campus, other info.

appdaze

Construction updates on campus, other info.

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:43 am

Holmes deck, Duncan, peacock, wey, innovation district, biodiversity, 105 phase 2, some financial numbers.

Lot of interesting info to chew on in this Twitter thread. No I do not know TK.

Tru2ASU
School: Appalachian State

Re: Construction updates on campus, other info.

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 pm

Close to 300 million in construction on campus over the next 5 years. Be interesting to see what numbers we have for whatever admin comes in next. This also doesn't include how much will be spent yearly in maintenance and upkeep. Looks good for now, but in 10 years, will be pretty interesting times on campus.

AppStateRTP

Unread post by AppStateRTP » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:16 pm

Picture of Holmes Deck construction (as of 11 July 2023): https://www.appstate.edu/_images/vision ... 0x1200.jpg

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:42 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 pm
Close to 300 million in construction on campus over the next 5 years. Be interesting to see what numbers we have for whatever admin comes in next. This also doesn't include how much will be spent yearly in maintenance and upkeep. Looks good for now, but in 10 years, will be pretty interesting times on campus.
So, what are your actual concerns?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:18 am

AppStateRTP wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:16 pm
Picture of Holmes Deck construction (as of 11 July 2023): https://www.appstate.edu/_images/vision ... 0x1200.jpg
Anyone know how many parking spots will be in this deck? Also, will a (Basketball) season ticket get you a parking spot in this deck during basketball season or is it going to be first come first serve like river street deck now during basketball season?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:49 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:18 am
AppStateRTP wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:16 pm
Anyone know how many parking spots will be in this deck? Also, will a (Basketball) season ticket get you a parking spot in this deck during basketball season or is it going to be first come first serve like river street deck now during basketball season?
I want to say 300 spaces and it will likely be a permit lot but I don’t know if that will be festival parking or numbered for basketball.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:24 pm

The June tweet/post above says 600 spaces.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:29 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:42 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
Quite a few, some I've mentioned on here before, some I can't. I hope enrollment can keep up with the expansion. This is probably the most aggressive expansion on a college campus in the country, with a school our size, and minus football stadium expansion.. I've been looking the last few weeks, and can't find anything comparable.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:58 pm

I'm not going to post the links, but some light googling showed campuses all around the nation expanding as much, if not more than us. Many dropping over 500 mil with a few hitting the billion mark.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm

Yes, you are referring to campuses in San Diego, NY, and Austin, first thing that comes up when you use Google. I know those. Looking at comparable campuses. Thanks though.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:16 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm
Yes, you are referring to campuses in San Diego, NY, and Austin, first thing that comes up when you use Google. I know those. Looking at comparable campuses. Thanks though.
https://www.jmu.edu/pair/strategic-plan ... ndex.shtml

Georgia Southern also has plans out there as well, along with other schools. Schools phase it out differently. A comparable school today may have recently already accomplished what App is in the process of doing, or planning and financing their next moves as well.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:26 pm

They may have recently accomplished what App is looking to do, true. App is just starting this commitment, while JMU looks to be finishing up theirs.

I'm looking at several different scenarios, and not saying one way or the other is bad. I'm just saying their are Interesting factors to consider. I won't/can't go into details due to different reasons. I think we can all agree that financial freedom and flexibility is paramount in this setting, especially with the way higher education is set to be trending. Investing in physical infrastructure is interesting, at this point.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm

With college enrollments beginning to decline, schools are in competition with each other for students. Part of this could be to keep App up with others from a physical plant standpoint.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 am

Tru2ASU wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:26 pm
They may have recently accomplished what App is looking to do, true. App is just starting this commitment, while JMU looks to be finishing up theirs.

I'm looking at several different scenarios, and not saying one way or the other is bad. I'm just saying their are Interesting factors to consider. I won't/can't go into details due to different reasons. I think we can all agree that financial freedom and flexibility is paramount in this setting, especially with the way higher education is set to be trending. Investing in physical infrastructure is interesting, at this point.
I’d actually argue investing in physical infrastructure is key at this point.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:03 pm

No one here is arguing, just observing. No right or wrong answer will exist immediately, so, it's ok to ask, and wonder.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:50 pm

:star
Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:03 pm
No one here is arguing, just observing. No right or wrong answer will exist immediately, so, it's ok to ask, and wonder.
Ha it’s a figure of speech. And I agree with your thought that it’s ok to wonder, but your posts kinda clearly give off a hint of concern that App is biting off more than they can chew. I tried to pin you down on your specific concerns to further advance the conversation, but you’re either unwilling or unable to speak to those.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:31 pm

Worries:
Failing infrastructure already on campus. See academic buildings that have never seen renovation in desperate need. Sure they look nice to an untrained eye, but we have several buildings on campus that are deteriorating at a rapid pace.

Varsity Gym basement looks like you could shoot a horror movie in it. Harper looks straight out of the 60s. Walk from Varsity up a small stairwell to Rankin, and you will see a crack so thick, you can see 5-6 feet under. As a matter of fact, all in front of Rankin is a trip hazard. You can walk other entire NC campuses and not see as many cracks in all of their sidewalks on campus as you can on that one sidewalk.

Thats just Varsity and the sidewalks of Rankin, I can go for days, on issues I see daily. While I know we have to upgrade athletic facilities to keep up with everyone else, and some headway is being made on renovations, I have a litany of issues. Costs, inflation, addressing actual necessities, being able to retain skilled tradesmen for a significant amount of time, and being able to maintain what is actually built, are main concerns of mine.

I do have faith in those in charge, but I think of this in a different way: 20 years from now, what is left standing, and what will deferred maintenance cost at that point.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 pm

appsfan wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm
With college enrollments beginning to decline, schools are in competition with each other for students. Part of this could be to keep App up with others from a physical plant standpoint.
Just because college enrollments overall may be beginning to decline doesn't mean that the demand to get into App State will follow those trends:
1. North Carolina continues to grow, as many continue to migrate from the North and larger cities
2. The current climate trend, is that it is getting warmer. The NC Mountains are becoming more and more popular
3. Economically, we offer a very affordable college education. Some of the decline may center around overpriced institutions.

As you mentioned, keeping the infrastructure intact and improving on it, it likely to be a good investment.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:57 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:29 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:42 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
Quite a few, some I've mentioned on here before, some I can't. I hope enrollment can keep up with the expansion. This is probably the most aggressive expansion on a college campus in the country, with a school our size, and minus football stadium expansion.. I've been looking the last few weeks, and can't find anything comparable.
If we are discussing WCU and we had their enrollment numbers and enrollment trends I would be concerned. I think App is well positioned to be THE university for undergrad in the state and if you want a mountain location then even more appeal, and I don't see that changing. That provides some security. It may become more compelling for some to escape the heat of the Piedmont and Coastal Plain. Don't discount the environmental lapse rate in future decisions about where to live and study in this state.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:56 am

Speaking of construction, while at Fan Fest we went by the renovated bookstore, or now it’s called the Campus Store. Renovations look great. Much larger retail area, larger selection of gear and gifts. More black and gold throughout. An upgrade for sure.

GO APPS!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”